As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beginners Drawing Class - Week 1 - Pre-instruction drawings

anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
edited August 2007 in Artist's Corner
Why

At the recommendation of the internets, I picked up Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards, which is based off of the five day workshops she hosts.

I'm woefully lacking in artistic talent and I figure there's a few other lurkers here that would also like to be able to draw. So, I'm going to host a drawing class based off of the lessons in the above mentioned book. Anyone that wants to follow along can.

Instructions

In addition to the basic white paper, pencil, sharpener and eraser, there are a few additional materials we need that can be found at most hobby or craft stores. These aren't needed for the Week One assignment, but we need them on hand to move into the next few weeks.
  1. A piece of clear plastic about 8" x 10" and about 1/16" thick. Use permanent marker to draw a horizontal and vertical crosshair that cross at the center of the sheet.
  2. Two sheets of black cardboard about 8" x 10". Cut a 4 1/4" x 5 1/4" rectangle in one and a 6" x 7 5/8" rectangle in the other. These are your "viewfinders."
  3. A non-permanent felt-tip marker.
  4. Two clips to fasten your viewfinders to your plastic sheet.
  5. A #4B graphite stick.
  6. Some masking tape.

Reply to the thread if you're interested in working along and simply edit and update your post as you complete each of the assignments. Feel free to comment on anyone else's work.

Week One Pre-instruction drawings

It's always nice to have a baseline to compare future works against so the first thing we will do is just draw with no instruction. These three exercises shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 hours total, though you can take as much time as you'd like.

Self-portrait:
Additional materials: a drawing board (like a breadboard or sturdy cardboard) and a mirror, imagine that!
  1. Tape two or three sheets of paper together so that you are drawing on a padded surface.
  2. Sit at arm's length (about 2 feet) from a mirror, leaning your board up against the wall, resting the bottom of the board on your lap.
  3. Look at the reflection of your head and face in the mirror and draw your self-portrait.
  4. When you have finished, title, date, and sign the drawing in the lower right-hand or lower left-hand corner.

A Person, Drawn from Memory:
  1. Call up in your mind's eye an image of a person.
  2. To the best of your ability, make a drawing of that person. You may draw just the head, a half figure, or a full figure.
  3. Title, date, and sign your drawing.

Your hand:
  1. Seat yourself at a table to draw.
  2. Draw which ever hand you are not using to draw in any position you choose.
  3. Title, date, and sign your drawing.

To help motivate some folks, here are before and after pictures from students that took Betty's five day workshop.

gal2.jpg

gall118.jpg

anable on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm going to run to Hobby Lobby myself after work today. I'll upload a picture of the supplies in case the instructions are unclear.

Edit: Hmm. Those supplies are more of a pain than I thought, but I should be done tomorrow. Pro tip: I found the plastic sheet in the framing department.

Here is the plastic sheet and the two view finders:
    sheets.jpg

This hand picture is unfit for a mother's fridge. Here's looking forward...
    right-hand.jpg

Person from memory. I would be seriously surprised if anyone figures out who this is:
    johnheader.jpg

Hint:
    I spent about three hours shading the upper lip.

Self-portrait:
    me.jpg

I'm actually pretty happy with how that came out.

anable on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This sounds interesting.

Count me in.

I'm left handed as well!

righthand.jpg

This thing actually took 1.5 hours, so I've got some improvin' to do myself

Man, she looks totally different in my head!

bjork.jpg

Yeah, I have no idea how to draw hair

selfportrait.jpg

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got this book from the library recently. There is no hobby store where I live. No, that's incorrect, there is a store that sells every type of yarn ever created ever about 10 minutes away. Very inconvieninent =\ I found a semi transparent plastic sheet to use as a viewfinder in my basement though. This is definitely a good idea for all those without the book.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Since you have the book, you should follow along with us, Banana. Post your drawings and make sure I'm giving proper directions here.

anable on
  • Options
    murderbusmurderbus Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    I signed up for the forums after several months of lurking to jump in on this.

Here's a hand. The first lesson I have learned: Must draw darker lines.
    pafonaabc.jpg

Here's my head. Don't have a mirror, so I used a photo. My hair didn't even show up, and I look like Neville from Harry Potter in this image. I don't usually. To my knowledge.
    aafpaaabc.jpg

These came out a bit smaller than I drew them. Maybe I'll have a few more go's on my portrait.

I'm onto my third attempt at a draw from memory. This is the best I've got. I see I'm not much in the way of shading.
    aafmpaabd.jpg
    I should add that no matter who I try to draw from memory they wind up looking kind of like this. This looks nothing like anyone I know.

murderbus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If you scan them at a higher DPI, they will come out at a larger resolution. For darker lines, all I can recommend is going over your lines a second or third time. That's what I have to do.

Both of those looks pretty good, btw.

anable on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    Person from memory. I would be seriously surprised if anyone figures out who this is:

Napoleon Dynamite.

*looks at spoiler*

YES.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    murderbusmurderbus Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the tips! I've had a LOT of time doodling in class over the past four years to draw my hand. The face looks not bad, but it doesn't look anything at all like me. Looking forward to improvement!

murderbus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    BenGPT wrote: »
    anable wrote: »

Napoleon Dynamite.

*looks at spoiler*

YES.

Holy crap you get a cookie.

cookie.gif

So I'm all done for week one. Everyone finish up, enjoy the week end, and get ready for round two on Monday.

anable on
  • Options
    NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think I get the whole drawing from life vs memory thing now :)

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    righthandpk8.jpg
    right hand!

selfportraitot6.jpg
    self portrait, I was looking slightly down. I don't think I conveyed that very well, I just made myself look fat.

drfeldmansh1.jpg
    So... Drawing from memory... this is... really difficult... It's supposed to be a professor of mine, I guess. A LOT younger, and not really him at all.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    DangeriskDangerisk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    murderbus wrote: »
    I signed up for the forums after several months of lurking to jump in on this.
    Here's my head. Don't have a mirror, so I used a photo. My hair didn't even show up, and I look like Neville

I'd suggest doing it again with a mirror, it really is a lot different. During the school year I had been drawing models. Over the summer I started using pictures again as its much easier to find and doesn't require you to have a friend hold still for a while. I just did this exercise and remembered just how different it was. I find it much easier to draw from picture than from life.

Dangerisk on
    If what you say is true, the Shaolin and the Wu-Tang could be DANGERISK.
  • Options
    BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crowleston, how did you draw your hand while watching a movie over an entire hour? :S Watching TV + drawing seems wierd to me. You seem to have a really nice handle on tone though.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Crowleston, how did you draw your hand while watching a movie over an entire hour? :S Watching TV + drawing seems wierd to me. You seem to have a really nice handle on tone though.

I watch TV or movies while doing art all the time. In fact I usually have the TV on in the background when doing anything.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS