As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Does the new gmail app have banner notifications?

Or still none?

Yep. Although, I thought the previous version had them as well.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm in DC for a week. What transit app should I rely on for public transportation?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I don't know that wmata (Washington Metro Area Transit Authority) is advanced enough to have an actual app... wmata.com has a trip planner on the main page that has always worked well for me, but I've not tried using it with a mobile browser.

edit: If you're going to be in DC proper, you can actually walk to most places, as it's not really that big. Numbered streets are N/S, letters are E/W and states are mostly radials. The capitol defines the center from which the NE,SE,NW,SW are derived.

quarthinos on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    WMATA has a barebones mobile site. I think that's about as advanced as they get.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    These are bad suggestions.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/embark-dc-metro/id362578625?mt=8

Embark is king.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I haven't tried using my iPhone for navving DC, 'cause I figured out most of wmata's idiosyncrasies before smartphones existed, so that might be true. But I still think walking is the better option for DC proper if the weather is even slightly cooperative. You'll miss out on a lot of the local color.. Like fallout shelter signs on the side of gov't buildings ;)

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I have a question regarding the 30 pin adapters. I need one so I can connect my iPhone 5 to my iHome radio, which I mainly use for docking my phone.

I see a lot of generic brands on Amazon with mixed reviews, but will any old adapter work if all I want to do is dock it to the radio?

I was looking at this one in particular. No reviews but it matches the finish on my radio: http://www.amazon.com/Chromo-Inc-®-Lightning-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B00AC63MWK/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1355006037&sr=8-15&keywords=iphone+5+30-pin+Adapter

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    In short: you're probably okay, but there's also a not totally insignificant chance that it'll be a piece of shit. That's just how this shit goes during the early days, with unlicensed adapters. Worst case scenario it doesn't work right, or dies within a week, but it's not like it'll short out your phone or stereo. Probably.

You just have to decide whether than $15 savings is worth that risk.

Well, has there been any reports of that sort of thing happening?

I figure the worst thing that could happen is it simply doesn't work, so I return it to Amazon for a refund.

Well, has there been any reports of that sort of thing happening?

I figure the worst thing that could happen is it simply doesn't work, so I return it to Amazon for a refund.

That's most likely the worst scenario, which isn't bad as long as you're covered by Amazon's return policy.

Personally, I avoid them because I bought a cheapo unlicensed dock extender a few years back so I could dock my iPod in its case into a speaker dock. It caused the music to cut out randomly like it was skipping. I was convinced the iPod or the speaker was dying for a few days before I remembered the extender.

But hey, that's just a personal anecdote. Most of the time they're probably pretty hassle-free, I would imagine.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So, ever since syncing my iPhone 4s with my Facebook contacts, when I go to text someone, it always defaults to something else (maybe their email?) other than their number and tries to MMS it, resulting in the message never getting to the recipient. Is there a to make it default back to their phone number?

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Google Maps app supposedly coming to iOS tonight. I'll believe it when it's on my phone.

EDIT: Rumors true. Come and get it!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    So I got a generic 30-pin connector for my iHome radio, and it works as intended. I can dock my phone and charge it.

Problem is, I'm not happy with the docking process now. The phone doesn't rest comfortably on top of the connector on top of the radio, instead bending backwards slightly. Whenever I take the phone out, the connector is attached to the phone, forcing me to pry it off manually.

So I'm thinking of selling my iHome and purchasing a radio dock that's already built for the iPhone 5. Would anyone know of any inexpensive-yet-functional radio docks?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I figure this may be better/more-easily answered in this thread.

My wife's dumb-phone is dying (read: dead) and we don't want to go buy her a new phone, deal with a new contract, etc etc. I do still have my iPhone 1 (EDGE) though. We're only interested in voice-calls, no cellular data other than that. Anything wifi is OK though.

So what would I need to do to get this working, and/or is this even possible?

I've got the phone jailbroken and unlocked (redsn0w/BootNeuter is flashing the baseband right now it appears). Should all I need to do at this point is to put the SIM card from her old dumb-phone into the iPhone? How about turning off any cellular data?

Halp, iOS-device thread! Halp! (batsignal @sydalis)

edited December 2012
    As long as it's not carrier locked to a different carrier, that's all you've gotta do.

You'll want to go into Settings and turn off cellular data, though. I don't recall if it's in a different place in whichever old ass version of iOS that thing is running, but on iOS 5 and 6 at least, it's Settings>General>Cellular>Cellular Data On/Off

edit: nvm about the carrier lock bit, I didn't notice you said it was unlocked

minor incident on
    Sweet. Thanks, incident!

• ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    So I made the relatively silly choice to buy an iPhone 3gs from Gamestop, and after quite an ordeal getting my number over to the thing, I have a couple of issues and I wasn't sure if anyone had some thoughts:

1. I can't picture message - I don't really care about this and it probably has something to do with APN settings that I had to jerry-rig to allow MMS in the first place, but I wasn't sure if this was common with NET10 plans.

2. Gamecenter won't do anything. When I attempt to log into game center it gets stuck on loading, and when it pops up INSIDE a game, I can't cancel out or sign-in without it getting stuck on loading as well.

3. Safari won't load anything at all - Chrome works, though.

4. Same for "Mail".

Thoughts?

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Net10 does not allow MMS from an iPhone over "their" network

Also you need to follow the instructions Net10 gives you in one of their packets I think? To get data to be activated

Vladimer on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So apparently I got a iPad Mini for Christmas.

Any tips for moving data over from my old iPod Touch?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So apparently I got a iPad Mini for Christmas.

Any tips for moving data over from my old iPod Touch?

I kinda want to know about this too.

Like, I downloaded a game I had a decent amount of time into onto my new mini. I still have the achievements, but the local stuff like high scores and coins didn't come over. Do I have to save my phone's game to the cloud and then dl from there? Or is it just not possible to transfer certain things and I have to start over?

Loving the mini.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited December 2012
    So, lets talk about sync for Google mail, contacts and calendars...

The guides/instructions online that Google makes it easy to find all refer to sync for contacts and calendars over CardDAV/CalDAV. Is that now the preferred way of doing sync between Google/iOS? I always set my devices up through the MS Exchange stuff Google implemented...

This came up because I was trying to tell Siri who is who (this contact is my wife, this is my brother, this is my mother, father, etc) and it told me it couldn't set my mom up because it couldn't write that info to her contact service (or something to that effect).

Do CardDAV/CalDAV work as well as the Exchange stuff? Are they a true "all-way" sync? I can change something on my iPhone and it's reflected on gmail.com and my iPad? I can change something on gmail.com, and the change shows up on the devices? Anyone tried?

iTunesIsEvil on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Google is killing off the Exchange method for Gmail accounts

It's still available for paid accounts: Google Sync End of Life

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Oh, and no they don't work as well. IMAP, CalDAV don't support push the way the ActiveSync method did.

I am decidedly unhappy about this.

Abracadaniel on
    Well, shit. WHARGARBL to Google, @Smart Hero. Thanks for the info.

I wonder why Google would cut that off, especially if the new DAV techs don't work as well. More in-fighting between them and Apple about competing services (Gmail/Contacts/Calendars vs iCloud) maybe?

Ugh. I really don't want to put my shit in iCloud. Especially not without having some open-ish API's so I can get at the data.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the price Microsoft charges to license Activesync on a per-seat basis, and Google not wanting to pay that any more for the freebie accounts.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i guess i don't really care that much since i prefer using the gmail app to mail app for my gmail mail anyway

poo
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Google is killing off the Exchange method for Gmail accounts

It's still available for paid accounts: Google Sync End of Life

it will still be available to free accounts forever, as long as you set it up before Jan 30th. So if you think you might have a use for it sometime, just go do the setup now so you won't have to pay in the future.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    yeah but then you get a new iphone and no mas right

poo
    yeah but then you get a new iphone and no mas right
    Right.

The biggest thing you lose is push email. Which is admittedly a big thing, and one of threatens I liked gmail on iPhone so much.

And I don't actually like the gmail app, vastly preferring the baked in iOS mail app.

This does suck.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    =/

i guess i only use my gmail for personal things which i don't care if they are being pushed to me (i'd prefer not even)
    and my work is exchange so meeting invites and whatnot get pushed to me

but yeah it does suck overall

poo
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love the new gmail app, but I'd hate to lose the calendar sync.

so anyway, what's the best iphone earphone for less than 100 bucks? I mean something that sounds good (not necessarily OMG BEST EAR SEX EVER) and has the mic/3 button thingy. earbuds or IEMs only, I have a Klipsch Image One already, but it's just too hot here to use that outside.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    These are supposed to be the bees knees.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    oh, they look sweet
    thanks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2013
    iOS 6.1 is out. More LTE for non-US types and they undid the stupid change they made to iTunes Match with iOS 6.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Man, they really need to add the "Up Next" thing from iTunes to iOS. Apparently Apple TVs got it with 6.1.

Lately, my iPad has been installing and updating apps very, very slowly. What used to take a couple of minutes at the most now take over 10 minutes or more. I'm not sure what the cause may be, if perhaps I have too many apps installed, or that my space is limited (I've had to clean up quite a few times). Can either of these be a culprit?

Also, I'd like to try and clean off the grime/gunk off the outer layer of my smart cover. Is there a particular cleaning product that might be able to do the trick?

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Are your apps 5 times as big now? :P

I'd be interested in hearing something about the second question though. My cover isn't too dirty, but I wouldn't mind cleaning off some dark smudges.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I cannot get my jailbroken 3GS to charge with any of my chargers.

I was able to use my friends iPhone 5 charger and it came to life. unfortunately I didn't have time to keep it there all day for a full charge. Now i've used my charger, my iPad charger, and an aftermarket charger. So 3 different chargers, a combination of the 3 different usb cables, and even tried my PC.

Any advice or ideas on why it's doing this? I did give it a drop and my screen has been responding in a very wonky way. Like for example the spot I need to press to purchase an app is totally unresponsive. Guess i'll have to put this one down soon or trade my friend for their charger.

I just end up getting the lightning bolt and the red empty battery.

update: hmm tried a tethered boot. went through all of the motions and got to the final screen. it hung there and eventually reverted to the old red battery and lightning bolt. going to try a few different USBs and maybe moving it over to a charger once the PC recognizes it.

update 2: okay so it ended up losing whatever charge it had while I was doing the tethered boot. So I think it was left in DFU mode. Since I at least wasn't dealing with the red icon and lighting bolt I decided to just leave it on the charger with the black screen.

About an hour of that got me to 14% battery life. When I did another tethered boot. What on earth?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    Jailbreak for all 6.0/6.1 iOS devices (except for the 3rd gen Apple TV) is out. I'm trying to decide if I want to jump into that world or not. It'd be cool to set Chrome as my default web browser and Google Maps as my default maps app, but nothing else is immediately appealing.

steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    So I had it charging with a blank screen for a few hours. Booted it tethered again. Got 20% battery.

The PC recognized it and so does iTunes but it's still not charging. So odd.

steam_sig.png