As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Feedback and critique request for retro sci-fi adventure strip

UncleRobotUncleRobot Registered User new member
I'm a writer first and artist second. I've been kicking around the concept of this strip for years now. I've actually been drawing it for about 6 months and have about 25 in the can. I'm going for an old Sunday paper style feel, and have been inspired by work like 'Terry and the Pirate' and 'Flash Gordon'. I know that my anatomical drawing needs work. I'm also working on consistency in the figures. Part of that has been me settling on a look for a few of the characters. I'd like to know what people think of how it stands as a strip, writing and art taken into consideration together.

Not sure how much of the work I should post for this conversation. Let me know if I should post more.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Thank you for taking the time to look at it.

12.07.22_VP1_PrisonAsteroid4234371-WEB.jpg

12.07.29_VP2_VORTOS_CHRONOMETER_WEB.jpg

12.08.05_VP3_TRIPPED_UP_WEB.jpg

12.08.12_VP4_Vorto-The-Pirate_WEB.jpg

12.08.19_NOTHING_BUT_TIME_WEB.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I really like it - particularly the story and pacing is great. You've certainly captured the mood you're going for. I'll let the better comic book artists comment on style, the only comment I would make is whether you'd consider breaking up the format of the strip - I know traditionally this style of comic keeps to the title, double panel then 9 grid, but it can get a bit wearing after a while.

Draw an egg.
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Okay I fucking love this.

I have a soft spot in my heart for pulp sci-fi.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    This is absolutely fantastic. How the hell do you make your zip tones?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • UncleRobotUncleRobot Registered User new member
    Thanks for the positive feedback guys. It's much appreciated.

@Halen. I have considered it. I'm hoping to eventually publish a collection in print form, and will probably vary the breaks when I do.

@Amateurhour. It's a half-tone effect in photo shop. I've seen it used to much better effect in other work where the artist has used more solid lines. In my stuff, so far, I've just layed it over the entire strip. I've seen other artists who apply it here and there within a frame or strip, and it looks really great. Eventually I'll get there with it.

vorto_750x100.jpg

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    I really like this! Your writing is very well paced.
    Have a look at these layout posts from Frank Santoro at the Comics Journal. You seem to be harkening back to the days of Caniff and Foster. Cartoonists of that time appeared to have used these methods of laying out their pages, influencing the movement of the eye perfectly. Of course this sort of pre planning/structuring go back further than comics and appear far more recently than the golden age too! Frank covers some of this in his other posts, but I found the structures he makes over these old pages really enlightening!

valiant1_guide.jpg
    http://www.tcj.com/layout-workbook-9/
    Barks1.jpg
    http://www.tcj.com/layout-workbook-11/

http://www.tcj.com/layout-workbook/

edited December 2012
    That's cool. Those layout workshops are really interesting. I'll definitely read through those. Thanks!

vorto_750x100.jpg

UncleRobot on
    Recently changed scenes and added new characters. Was hoping to get feedback on the changes. Thanks!

vp_26-Of-Insidious-Intent-2nd-web.jpg

vorto_750x100.jpg

I just put together a new promo for the strip and would enjoy feedback from folks. I was going for a retro tv feel. Thanks for your input.

Promo-strip-22030.jpg

Vorto-gif-Banner-468x60.gif

I just put together a new promo for the strip and would enjoy feedback from folks. I was going for a retro tv feel. Thanks for your input.

Promo-strip-22030.jpg

Vorto-gif-Banner-468x60.gif