As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gas attack in Syria

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money?

Screaming protests and tacitly or not-so-tacitly threatening nuclear war, mostly

same thing we've always done to them

Well, we didn't do that much kicking and screaming during the whole South Ossetia thing

BUT THAT'S JUST BECAUSE PUTIN'S SUCH A COOL BADASS AMIRITE?

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ugh I hate the internets obsession with Putin. Yes he has done some things that might constitute as badass, but hes also an awful oppressor.

I feel like latter outweighs the former.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Where was russia all the times we fucked with a country because money?

Screaming protests and tacitly or not-so-tacitly threatening nuclear war, mostly

same thing we've always done to them

Well, we didn't do that much kicking and screaming during the whole South Ossetia thing

BUT THAT'S JUST BECAUSE PUTIN'S SUCH A COOL BADASS AMIRITE?

NATO did send a fleet into the Black Sea on "routine exercises" and the Bush Administration condemned it while the E.U. got both parties to submit to mediation, but American response was muted for several reasons:

1. Bush didn't have a whole lot of political capital for starting new wars

2. Georgia's still about as far inside Russia's post-Soviet sphere of influence as you can get without actively trying to rejoin the USSR like Belarus

3. We were already fighting two wars

If Georgia had fought more strenuously (notably, they could have demolished one key mountain highway tunnel by air to effectively stop the advance of Russian armor), or if mediation had failed, we'd probably have screamed quite a bit harder.

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    The Olympic War.

jkZziGc.png
    I remember when the invasion happened, I became a news-junkie and was freaked out that it would somehow start WW III.

I later felt foolish.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    The Georgians basically did exactly whatthey knew would get themselves beat up (oppressing the Ossetians) so it's fair enough to point and laugh at them over that whole conflict.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I heard it on NPR a couple hours ago but not a lot of big news orgs other than Al Jazeera are mentioning it.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I saw this on bbc yesterday and found it rather sad.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ugh I hate the internets obsession with Putin. Yes he has done some things that might constitute as badass, but hes also an awful oppressor.

Wait people actually like Putin? Didn't he throw two female singers in prison this year for basically no reason other than they pissed him off?

I remember the Catholic church being involved but even they thought the sentence was way too harsh.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »

Wait people actually like Putin? Didn't he throw two female singers in prison this year for basically no reason other than they pissed him off?

I remember the Catholic church being involved but even they thought the sentence was way too harsh.

They did an angry protest at a church, and the Orthodox Church clamored for their arrest. Putin went farther and imprisoned them for longer than would usually be legal for such an offense, iirc.

Fire Truck wrote: »

They did an angry protest at a church, and the Orthodox Church clamored for their arrest. Putin went farther and imprisoned them for longer than would usually be legal for such an offense, iirc.

That's right, I know the church wanted them arrested but not imprisoned for 2 fucking years.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    You don't exactly retire from the KGB

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    And I flubbed my Russian History final exam

I am disappointed in myself

Miss me? Find me on:

Putin gets some popularity at home and abroad because of his propaganda stunts, like harpooning a whale and shooting a tiger and fishing shirtless

He is also popular among some sections of the Russian electorate just because he is not Yeltsin, and the state pours much of its energy-export revenues into public largesse to sustain that popularity

He does have an appeal for the older Russians

In that he represents a more 'traditional' Soviet-style of power

Miss me? Find me on:

also a more traditional "We have bread and running water" style of economy

Hey, things weren't that great

But at least you knew what to expect

Miss me? Find me on:

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

This doesn't extend to heating.

jkZziGc.png
    ONLY FILTHY CAPITALISTS GET HEAT

Miss me? Find me on:

Well yes, they can pay for it.

jkZziGc.png
    Only an enemy of the state would make that sort of connection

Miss me? Find me on:

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Well yes, they can pay for it.

God I love being white and upper middle class

JtgVX0H.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Putin gets some popularity at home and abroad because of his propaganda stunts, like harpooning a whale and shooting a tiger and fishing shirtless

He is also popular among some sections of the Russian electorate just because he is not Yeltsin, and the state pours much of its energy-export revenues into public largesse to sustain that popularity

If an American politician shot a tiger or harpooned a whale there would be a fucking uproar.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    well what I meant was Yeltsin (capitalist) Russia was the one that didn't have bread or running water

Yeltsin was also a piece of shit.

jkZziGc.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

If an American politician shot a tiger or harpooned a whale there would be a fucking uproar.

Pretty sure the folks that love shirtless Putin stabbing tigers are the same internet ironists who love Chuck Norris and libertarianism.

Pretty sure the folks that love shirtless Putin stabbing tigers are the same internet ironists who love Chuck Norris and libertarianism.

Hey now don't lump the insane libertarians with the moderate ones.

Dubh wrote: »
    ONLY FILTHY CAPITALISTS GET HEAT

yes, this is pretty accurate

he shot the tiger with a tranquilizer and the whale with a tracking beacon

edited December 2012
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

no, a ton of people love him

russians especially

how much of that is motivated by fear remains to be seen

C2qjk.jpg

jkZziGc.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    surprising no one

C2qjk.jpg

Reminds me of some super liberals I know who didn't think Thatcher was that bad.

C2qjk.jpg

Reminds me of some super liberals I know who didn't think Thatcher was that bad.

Hahahahahaha.

jkZziGc.png
    Russia is such a weird country

Miss me? Find me on:

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    C2qjk.jpg

not fans of milk then

PiptheFair wrote: »
    C2qjk.jpg

not fans of milk then

It has to be organic soy.

jkZziGc.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Russia is such a weird country

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2u4dlZBHE

wY6K6Jb.gif