As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The D is Silent. AND UNCHAINED

BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
django-unchained-poster.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow
Django Unchained is an American western film written and directed by Quentin Tarantino. The film stars Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington and Samuel L. Jackson. The film was released on December 25, 2012 in North America.[5][6]
Set in the Deep South, the film follows Django (Foxx), a freed slave who treks across America with Dr. King Schultz (Waltz), a bounty hunter.

So did anyone else spend their christmas watching Jaime Foxx kill white folks? Cause I did and I loved this movie. So now there is a thread where people can talk about it with me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see this Friday.

Also, I didn't know until now that Jackson was in this!

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i'm seeing this this saturday!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to see this movie but I NEVER get to the theaters so I probably won't until blu ray release.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I think I will see this soon

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    god I hate whitey

can't wait to see this

• Options
    Like for real doggies I loved this movie.

I want Christoph Waltz to be in everything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I never knew I wanted a movie that prominently featured both Morricone and hip-hop in the soundtrack.

Turns out I wanted it really badly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I got tickets to the Sydney premiere with Tarantino as a special guest!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I never knew I wanted a movie that prominently featured both Morricone and hip-hop in the soundtrack.

Turns out I wanted it really badly.

Wait

what

holy shit

can't wait even more to see this god damn

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    yo this movie

this fucking movie

it's basically 130 minutes of FUCK WHITEY and i am so ok with that

it's just so much fucking fun, even having read the script already

best part
    the french dude who bets on the slave fight with candie, the guy who knows the D is silent?

that's franco nero

that's django

• Options
    like it's probably because i fucking adore westerns to start with but this is easily my favorite tarantino movie

• Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    I have to wait til April because Columbia pictures hates South East Asian countries

It will also be heavily altered for scenes with violence and language because the Philippines has the worst ratings board ever

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Robcham wrote: »
    I have to wait til April because Columbia pictures hates South East Asian countries

It will also be heavily altered for scenes with violence and language because the Philippines has the worst ratings board ever

And then it turns out they'll just re-release Wild Wild West.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    This was a good flick.

I like how the advertising gave me the wrong idea about the general plot of the movie, and also leaves out several major characters, so it surprised me in a way very few movies are able to nowadays.

As a white dude from Louisiana now living in Toronto, though, I have never been more aware of my place in white Canadian culture than I was in that theater.

My wife wasn't the only non-whitey in that theater but it damn near felt that way, and there were parts where people laughed where I would have expected them to be horrified or appalled

This film made me uncomfortable in all the right places and it felt weird when the folks around me weren't uncomfortable in the same spots

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    i wish more black people posted here that i could ~CONVERSE~ with because most of the ones i know are actively not commenting on this and to me it kinda looks like the Time Racists movie ive aways wanted but with all the humor replaced with an awkward undercurrent of historical insensitivity

• Options
    i mean spike lee is apparently not about this at ALL but

he is spike lee

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    This was a good flick.

I like how the advertising gave me the wrong idea about the general plot of the movie, and also leaves out several major characters, so it surprised me in a way very few movies are able to nowadays.

As a white dude from Louisiana now living in Toronto, though, I have never been more aware of my place in white Canadian culture than I was in that theater.

My wife wasn't the only non-whitey in that theater but it damn near felt that way, and there were parts where people laughed where I would have expected them to be horrified or appalled

This film made me uncomfortable in all the right places and it felt weird when the folks around me weren't uncomfortable in the same spots

This movie is legit hilarious though.

Like there's more humour then I'd say most of Tarantino's other flicks, barring Pulp Fiction.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Yes there are parts of it that are pretty funny, but then there are parts that are supposed to just shock the piss out of you and I don't htink they were really laugh shocks

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Spike Lee does not like Tarantino. Kill the whites.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    i wish more black people posted here that i could ~CONVERSE~ with because most of the ones i know are actively not commenting on this and to me it kinda looks like the Time Racists movie ive aways wanted but with all the humor replaced with an awkward undercurrent of historical insensitivity

no more histroically insensitive than pretty much every other western ever

• Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    I am mad jealous of all of you who get to see this

Appreciate this Christmas time joy that only Quentin Tarantino can bring

• Options
    Westerns that are historically sensitive end up depressing as Hell

That ain't bad, but it's true

Big part of why I love Unforgiven so much

Man, this movie didn't really get "Tarantino as fuck" in as many spots as the other Tarantino flicks I've watched

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Yes there are parts of it that are pretty funny, but then there are parts that are supposed to just shock the piss out of you and I don't htink they were really laugh shocks

give me an example (in spoilers)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Westerns that are historically sensitive end up depressing as Hell

That ain't bad, but it's true

Big part of why I love Unforgiven so much

Man, this movie didn't really get "Tarantino as fuck" in as many spots as the other Tarantino flicks I've watched

the entire movie was tarantino as fuck it was just also Westerns as fuck

• Options

d'artagnon gettin torn apart by a dog, for one

django almost getting his ding dong cut off for another

• Options
    I hope he is not saying that people laughed at those parts

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    found an article 'bout this movie from around the time the trailer came out
    David Brothers' article at 4thletter
    and there's a couple of articles linked at the bottom for alternate viewpoints, but I can link a less glowing one here
    Thoughts on Slavery, Black Women, and 'Django Unchained' by Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic

dunno if they'd interest Mensch or other people here but yeah i dunno i thought they were interesting even if they were from before the movie came out

• Options

Well I mean it's hard to remember because I paid a lot more attention to the movie than to other moviegoers, but... uh
    Say when the good Doctor blows out that horse's brains

....also a lot of the white folks and asian teens around me laughed at the N word a few times I guess

Like they just thought that people using that language was inherently funny

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

Well I mean it's hard to remember because I paid a lot more attention to the movie than to other moviegoers, but... uh
    Say when the good Doctor blows out that horse's brains

....also a lot of the white folks and asian teens around me laughed at the N word a few times I guess

Like they just thought that people using that language was inherently funny

Well as to the first thing that is not an uncommon reaction to that sort of violence, I have that reaction too. It's a combination of it being incredibly sudden and also the over the top way Tarantino tends to portray it.

It's not as cartoony in this as it is in something like Kill Bill but it's rarely played as grit and grim either, this is an epic hero's journey after all (of a sort)

As for the latter, it's all about context, there are times in the movie where I do think it is intentionally played for laughs, particularly anytime Samuel L Jackson's character does it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    and there's a couple of articles linked at the bottom for alternate viewpoints, but I can link a less glowing one here
    Thoughts on Slavery, Black Women, and 'Django Unchained' by Ta-Nehisi Coates at The Atlantic

dunno if they'd interest Mensch or other people here but yeah i dunno i thought they were interesting even if they were from before the movie came out

thank u babe tumblr_meh5w9kKJP1qdlkyg.gif mostly i just want a round table of rude posters making pointed comments and flashing glares over our shoulder aka basically i want viscount islands back aka woah vi and rolo and me are like the only black posters and vi isnt even here any more wao wao

• Options
    Man I think him even being in the movie is a spoiler, that surprised the Hell out of me at the opening credits. Also he's maybe the best character in the movie.

And it has more to do with, like, removing yourself from it, I guess? Like any time Shane from the Shield would talk people would laugh, no matter what he was doing, but for me it was like Tarantino was holding up a mirror that showed the ugliest parts of my own culture

A lot of that is my own baggage I guess

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Kinda thought this was gonna be a cocks thread

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

thank u babe tumblr_meh5w9kKJP1qdlkyg.gif mostly i just want a round table of rude posters making pointed comments and flashing glares over our shoulder aka basically i want viscount islands back aka woah vi and rolo and me are like the only black posters and vi isnt even here any more wao wao

Neotoma's black isn't he

is the fact that I know this racist

sig.png
  • Options
    Tossrock wrote: »

Neotoma's black isn't he

is the fact that I know this racist

prepare to be mowed down in a hail of righteous gunfire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    finally

sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Jamie Foxx is so unrelentingly handsome

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    the first thing i remember about neotama is that he likes my chemical romance too and thats a lot more important tbqh

• Options
    Man I think him even being in the movie is a spoiler

he's in the trailer brah

• Options
    edited December 2012
    One thing I will say is that I kinda wish the trailer hadn't ruined the
    blue suit he wears to kill the brittle brothers

the reveal was still incredible but it would have been even better completely blind.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]