As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I hunger for hi-definition! Recommend me Blu-Ray software!

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
I've got a nifty BD/DVD-R drive in my nifty new computer, but of course Windows 7 doesn't natively support playback of BDs. The software suite included with the drive doesn't do anything with the Blu-Rays and the software was so bloated down with ads the time it took to uninstall it was probably half of its time on my harddrive. So I'm looking for some software that will let me watch Blu-Rays on my computer. Now, the caveats.

1) Free.
2) It's not loaded with trojans or anything.
3) Doesn't suck.

Not that complicated.

I've used Media Player Classic Home Cinema for my DVD/video viewing needs for a while, but it doesn't play BDs. It's a good example of the sort of player I'd like, though.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Well, I haven't actually tried it out myself yet since I am still lacking a Blu-ray drive, but I did post in the last thread on the subject that VLC will do it with a bit of an addon. Please try it out, then do me a favor and tell me if you have issues playing stuff with it so I know how simple using it is/isn't the next time somebody asks about it (and whether it seems to work for, like, every Blu-ray). :P Don't want to be giving out advice that might not work since I can't test it yet. I know VLC is an awesome media player on its own, so it should be fine. I used to use MPC too, until I realized that VLC played ALMOST everything ever, but without having to deal with codecs.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I used to have issues with VLC, which is why I had switched to MPC back whenever, but let me give it another go.

EDIT: Funnily enough someone in that thread mentions using PowerDVD to play BDs, but that's the bloatware I uninstalled.

It does say that the monitor needs to be HDCP in order for BD playback, though. My monitor is kind of old, so I'll have to look into that as maybe being a factor.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Yes, it appears my monitor does not support HDCP, so even if I get the proper software I won't be able to view any BDs. Disappointing, but at least now I know.