As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When loading a thread all posts are being marked viewed

PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet BustersTasting FruitRegistered User regular
Even when there are several pages that were never viewed ahead of the page that loads, the number of new posts is always reset to zero and loading from the index/bookmarks again jumps all of those pages. Is this intended behaviour?

Phyphor on

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah I've noticed this myself. If I start reading the election thread on my wife's iPad then move to my laptop while I still have 5 unread pages, it'll take me to the last page instead. Pretty annoying.

steam_sig.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think the function assumes you will stay committed and catch up.

• MusiquaMusiqua Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    With this change it's harder to catch up, that's the problem. If you have a few minutes available to read a page or two of a long thread with ten unread pages, you can't do that without losing your place the next time you get back.

Musiqua on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Noticed this as well with the election thread. Went to read page 60, thinking I'd come back and read page 61 where I left off, and got deposited at page 75.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Also noticed, and I'm sure it's working as intended, just caught me by surprise is all, that... In my bookmarks I went into a thread that had about 4 new pages of stuff, in the middle of the first unread page I needed to do a F5 to refresh a picture and it took me right to the end of the last page in the thread.

50433.png?1708759015
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's a silly change though - if someone wants to skip the 10 pages in between they can always just load the last page

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    D&D Movie thread: 97 pages, all new posts.

First view: Page 1
    Second View: Page 2
    Third View: Page 42
    Fourth: Last post

Tested a few other untouched threads, all went 1-2-42-Done

[Edit] Ok, best guess:

We skip 0, 1, 40, >97... pages or:
    0, 40, 1600, > 3700... posts.

The old progression was:
    0, 40, 80, 120...

So I suspect we're loading
    lastReadPostIndex *= 40 ;
    instead of
    lastReadPostIndex += 40;

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Huh, you're right. I don't get the page 1->2 transition but the rest is right. I tried it on a 141 page thread and it went 42->end too

• MusiquaMusiqua Registered User regular
    I get the same 1->2->42->done progression as well. Good find.

• RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    @IcyLiquid - someone should be shot for this silly bug.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Although I assume the function is working as intended, I would like to put in a humble request that it be changed back to the older version, where the thread would load the page after the last page viewed, as it makes it much easier to keep track of discussions in large threads.

As it is, it's very easy to lose track of where one is in the conversation.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Although I assume the function is working as intended, I would like to put in a humble request that it be changed back to the older version, where the thread would load the page after the last page viewed, as it makes it much easier to keep track of discussions in large threads.

As it is, it's very easy to lose track of where one is in the conversation.

I very much agree with this. With the old system there was always the option of just going to the last page. Currently if there's more new posts than you can read there's no automatic way to save your place in the thread

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Especially if there's a hiccup, on either end, when you load a bunch of pages

steam_sig.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Oddly, it seems like it doesn't do this when I view the forums from my iphone.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    This still happens. View a single page of a thread with multiple unread pages and the whole thing is marked as viewed.

@IcyLiquid is this the way Bookmarks and what not are intended to work?

50433.png?1708759015
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Has this changed for anyone else? I noticed once when I went back to the first page, all the posts past that were then marked as unread.

This is what used to happen, and I don't really like that behavior either :P.

But it doesn't happen all the time, so I dunno, maybe it was a fluke.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Happens all the time for me. Just a bit ago, I had a browser crash while I had 80 unread messages in a thread. Reload the browser and I'm at the last message. It makes reading threads an All at once thing, where as before, I could read a few pages if I was behind, back out and read another thread for a while then come back to the other and continue where I left off.

50433.png?1708759015
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea this seems fairly recent for me too, but only on computers, not my phone. it sucks when you follow a link that doesn't open in a new tab, hitting back sends you to the last page. instead of the page you were on.
    kime wrote: »
    Has this changed for anyone else? I noticed once when I went back to the first page, all the posts past that were then marked as unread.

This is what used to happen, and I don't really like that behavior either :P.

But it doesn't happen all the time, so I dunno, maybe it was a fluke.

happens to me, after revisiting a page one the next visit is always to page 2 even if i had been caught up. i sort of expect that though. the other stuff is way more annoying

camo_sig.png
    Yeah the back thing is annoying too. Maybe if the /thread#latest link got redirected to the appropriate /thread/pX#Comment_Y link?

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Same issue on my desktop (Windows), laptop (OSX) and phone (Android 4.0.4) all using Chrome.

emp123 on
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Human language isn't sufficient to properly describe how much I hate this bug. :x

EDIT: Also, is it an intentional joke to have the angry smiley mistakenly display the love smiley? angryf.png

TheCanMan on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    Any chance of this behavior getting switched back to how it used to work? Where you could get caught up on a thread where you're behind multiple pages on page at a time without losing your place? If I've read 50 pages of a 75 page thread and click on the thread name in Bookmarks, Vanilla assumes I will read up to the most current post on page 75 even if I only read up to the last post on page 60.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    Or if you click on a link in a thread that loads in the same tab. When you go back it jumps to the end of the thread rather than where you were

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, it's really annoying to try and remember where you were in a 60 page thread if you are trying to read through the whole thing from the beginning over the course of a few days.

steam_sig.png
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Yep, still an issue. May have something to do with it loading #latest instead of something like #lastviewed. Seems #latest updates every time someone posts in the thread, so it loads you to there from bookmarks or refreshing no mater where you actually were.

I'm assuming since we've not heard a word on what we consider an "issue" they are considering it "working as intended"?

50433.png?1708759015
    Did it used to be able to distinguish "read" positions from "new" before? Or did vanilla always mark all new posts as read regardless of page order?

steam_sig.png
    It used to work properly. Or something much closer to properly. It was quirky, but not to the extent it is now.

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I'm assuming since we've not heard a word on what we consider an "issue" they are considering it "working as intended"?
    Vanilla is used by many organizations, businesses, and communities, so we're not the only people with a list of bugs. Furthermore, Vanilla is supposed to be a no-frills kind of message board, but the people that work there have bent over backwards to get us a lot of the bobs and bits that we love so very much. So we'll also have issues unique to us.

I know it's not fun, but bugs get prioritized and losing your place in a thread isn't an earth-shattering problem. Don't conflate silence with anything: they got a lot of meals cooking in the kitchen, and sometimes issues get fixed in small bites and other times alongside major feature roll-outs. The Vanilla crew is definitely listening, even if they don't always respond.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    Any chance of this behavior getting switched back to how it used to work? Where you could get caught up on a thread where you're behind multiple pages on page at a time without losing your place? If I've read 50 pages of a 75 page thread and click on the thread name in Bookmarks, Vanilla assumes I will read up to the most current post on page 75 even if I only read up to the last post on page 60.

RISE!! And REJOICE!!!

Sorry for the 2.5 year old thread bump, but I just noticed that my biggest pet peeve with the forum as been addressed. Now, when you're multiple pages behind in a thread and you click on the thread title, the forum only assumes you read to the end of your current page, not the end of the thread. This is awesome for me, as I frequently get multiple pages behind in a thread, and then I need to block off a bunch of time to catch up all the way to the present. Now, I can jump in, read a page or two, leave, and when I come back my "unread" counter has decreased by 40 or 80 posts and I can pick up on the next page.

No idea how long this has been implemented (probably a while, I'm not very observant), but THANK YOU to whoever got this working again. I seriously appreciate it.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I noticed this a while ago too (at least a couple months, I think). Didn't know a good place to send appreciation to the Vanilla crew, but yeah, you are all awesome! Thanks!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile