As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

knife engraving for a basic training graduate

Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
So my brother joined the Marines, and he's graduating basic in early January. My family decided to do something cool so we bought him a custom knife from a local blacksmith. The question is this though, should we engrave it? What should the engraving say? I've been looking for quotes online a lot and nothing seems to jump out at me except for a quote from David Bowie but I feel like that might be in poor taste. We've never had a family member in the service so I don't really know what the protocol is for this, and my parents have already said I can't put "+1 Intellect" on it, even though I told them it wouldn't deal damage to ghosts if we didn't. Any suggestions?

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    "Semper Fidelis" would probably be appropriate.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

this is perfect.

CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    that is an excellent idea!

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "Hello, Cousin!"

"Requiescat in pace"

• Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    "Hello, Cousin!"

"Requiescat in pace"

I like the Cask of Amontillado but I don't think he liked it all that much. He's more into Kerouac, books about codes and zombie movies/anime.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Colt45 wrote: »
    that is an excellent idea!

My father is a Marine.

Congratulations to your brother!

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »

Alternatively, maybe the eagle, globe and anchor, if using a picture for the engraving is an option.

• honkymcgoohonkymcgoo Registered User regular
    My marine buddy has "Honor,Courage,Commitment" engraved on a knife. It was a gift when he retired, but still seems like it would be cool.

I didn't even know what the fuck and avitar was until about 5 minutes ago.