As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pittsburgh PrePostPAX - (GASP games days posted for 2014)

• Options
    That_Spoony_BardThat_Spoony_Bard Registered User regular
    I'll be coming.

• Options
    mulinjohemulinjohe Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    There's definitely a fair number of PAX folks in the Pittsburgh area

zerzhul on
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    Keeping this on my radar.

• Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    @PeasantDave , If you do make it, I have a SoCo and lime with your name on it.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    I definitely want to get out there to run some demos for you guys. (And drink some drinks.) It might have to wait until I have books in hand though.

• Options
    Muckraker18Muckraker18 Registered User regular
    I just signed up to the forums just for this thread. My name is Jason, 30, Squirrel Hill. I'll be coming. I'm trying to get more people from my Pax group to come but for now just put me down! This sounds like a lot of fun, see you all there!

• Options
    TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    @Muckraker18 I also live in Squirrel Hill. Small world!

• Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    I'm in Regent Square - not too far from y'all in Squirrel Hill. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

• Options
    @Raughn I have 4 more friends who will be coming. They're not on the forums, so if you could add them into the head-count that'd be great. Please and thank you!

• Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Headcount in the OP is updated. We're up to 14 people so far. It's great to see so much interest - I assumed we would have a dozen at most.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    There seems to be a pretty huge gaming contingent in the Pittsburgh area, if things like GASP are any indicator. Apparently the different groups just need to meet up ;)

• Options
    @TurnedtoGold haha, that's awesome. I'm on Beechwood Blvd, although that doesn't really pinpoint it, does it? ;) See you there!

• Options
    @zerzhul Yes, exactly. Maybe we can even turn this into a recurring thing if it's successful? I'm always up for hanging with like-minded PAX fans. This community is amazing.

• Options
    It would be awesome if this evolved into something recurring. And I do need to seriously look into this GASP business once I start feeling a little less busy.

• Options
    @Raughn Yeah, I just signed up on the GASP forums last night. Might try to go to the February meet up and see what it's about. I'm a long time video gamer but last year's PAX East is the first time I ever tried any kind of tabletop. I did like it, but I'm woefully inexperienced. I'm hoping they can fix that before this year's PAX, if I have time to get there.

• Options
    I have yet to attend any GASP things, but many of my local friends keep poking me to do so :P

• Options
    psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    -cackles as his plan to get PAX and GASP crews intermingling moves into phase 2-

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • Options
    I'd be down to try tabletop, but I'm positive I'll be awful and not understand. Many friends have tried to teach me how to play MTG, and just can't grasp it. It's too "mathy."

• Options
    I just got into tabletop over the last several months. As long as you're playing with the right people, being awful and confused can still be fun. Trust me, because that's usually my role. :)

And MTG probably isn't the best introduction, since there's a ton of strategy and you have to focus on beating one other person. Simpler games with larger groups make it fun to just participate. I usually don't even think about winning until and unless I accidentally end up in a position to do so.

Anyway, yesterday was the reservation deadline, so I'll be calling Latitude 40 this morning. I'll post an update for everyone once I have instructions for where to go inside the venue and whatnot.

• Options
    If you can also post some basic information for those of us who are unable to confirm our schedule, that would be helpful too :) I assume we aren't being told "no you cannot possibly come" but I understand that without confirmation you cannot guarantee a seat at the same table, for example.

• Options
    Absolutely. The place looks like the some sort of entertainment Death Star. Even if we can't all be together at the start of the evening, I'm sure we can make that happen before the end of it.

• Options
    melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    I will be there. It's really a nice place and very large with plenty to do. There should be plenty of space for us.

• Options
    Okay, the reservation is in for the confirmed 14 in the OP, no problems with our planned date and time. I'll provide a few more details in an attention-grabbing way in about a week.

As Zerzhul said, it's not like you're locked-out if you haven't been able to commit yet. If it turns out that you can come, please post in this thread, and maybe we can coordinate something for the second, smaller group for food/drinks, then merge into a Voltron of gaming enthusiasm as the night rolls on.

• Options
    thebookguythebookguy Registered User new member
    Just wanted to say hey. I just confirmed all my reservations for PAX this year and then found this post. Can't make the hang out but I am one of the organizers of GASP so if any of you make it out for some tabletop gaming just for look for a big guy named Dan and say Hi. Not much of Video gamer but been doing tabletop since I was 12. Pax has been on my list of conventions to attend and excited to check it out this year.

• Options
    Too bad you can't make it, Dan. I'm sure we'll meet at some point. I don't know when, but I will get to GASP, and there seemed to be interest in a "field trip" for my local tabletop group last night, so I may be bringing several folks your way.

• Options
    @Muckraker18 @That_Spoony_Bard @Menolly07 @ChaoticMuse @TurnedtoGold @Swae @melzway @psychopez

The following has been added to the OP, but notifications will bring you here, so:

Our reservation is under "PAX Community." There is a host station just to the left when you first enter the building.

If you need to get in touch the day of, message me on Twitter @RaughnP. I went ahead and followed the account of everyone attending or interested. The only two I couldn't find accounts for were @melzway and @psychopez, just FYI in case they want to provide that information.

I look forward to meeting everyone! Please drive safely, and if you think you might need one, make sure you have a designated driver.

• Options
    I'll look into bringing some portable tabletop games with me. Nothing too intense or involved.

• Options
    psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    Twitter is @mhasko

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Just an FYI, there is a Meetup group that is getting together at Latitude 40 on Saturday night as well. I'm sure we will be easy to spot (with the games and all), but I just wanted to let y'all know so that someone doesn't accidentally end up in the 30-something Singles group. =)

• Options
    IzuoguIzuogu Business Man LiberiaRegistered User new member
    Hello

• Options
    I'll look into bringing some portable tabletop games with me. Nothing too intense or involved.

Sounds good. I'll bring some light stuff as well; Zombie Dice, Munchkin, and I have a regular playing card deck that's easy enough to use for Werewolf (if anyone has fancy Werewolf cards, by all means, feel free to bring those).

For fellow 3DS owners: I'll be Streetpassin'.

• Options
    Oh, and if you have an iOS device, grab Spaceteam. Dying a horrible death in space and blaming each other for it might make for a nice icebreaker.

• Options
    @Raughn Hey I'm just making sure you saw the post I made about the 4 extra people coming with me. I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run. We'll probably be pretty mobile through the night.

• Options
    @TurnedtoGold No worries, we're good, I counted the +4 in the reservation. Looking back, I realize now I never acknowledged that outside of adding them to the OP. Sorry for not being clearer.

• Options
    Raughn wrote: »
    @Muckraker18 @That_Spoony_Bard @Menolly07 @ChaoticMuse @TurnedtoGold @Swae @melzway @psychopez

The following has been added to the OP, but notifications will bring you here, so:

Our reservation is under "PAX Community." There is a host station just to the left when you first enter the building.

If you need to get in touch the day of, message me on Twitter @RaughnP. I went ahead and followed the account of everyone attending or interested. The only two I couldn't find accounts for were @melzway and @psychopez, just FYI in case they want to provide that information.

I look forward to meeting everyone! Please drive safely, and if you think you might need one, make sure you have a designated driver.

I don't have a twitter account, but we're still planning on attending. I'm interested in trying some of the table games. I'm assuming they're different then monopoly and life. LOL. See you Saturday!

• Options
    @menolly07 @chaoticmuse and I may be late to this. Something urgent has come up that needs to be attended to. Will keep updated!

• Options
    @That_Spoony_Bard Thanks for the heads-up. Hope all is well. I'll be out and about soon, so Twitter will be best for sending further updates (my phone is a joke, I can't get to the forums on it).

• Options
    Wow, my voice is scratchy. It was loud in there.

Okay, so you folks are rad, thanks so much for coming! The venue...eh, maybe not as flexible for random fun as their cleverly arranged photographs would lead you to believe.

They seemed to think we would have an easier time getting games going on a weeknight, or Menolly had a nice idea about using the party room at a Panera Bread. So, if you are interested in doing this again in a format wherein we can hear each other and play something, chime-in and we'll get the ball rolling again.

And don't forget GASP. I'm going to try to do the March one, if work isn't already annoyed with my time-off for PAX (I'm usually scheduled on weekends).

• Options
    Thanks for setting this up! It was good to meet everyone :)

• Options
    Had a great time meeting everyone. Hope we can do it again before PAX or at least be able to hook-up there to hang out.