As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Titan: Mysterious MMO of Mystery

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
According to this chart of supposed leak Blizzard launch windows:

blizzard-product-slate-leaked.jpg

Titan, Blizzard's next MMO of a completely new property, will be released by the end of 2013.

This leaves plenty of room for speculation, leaks, and announcements. What do you think Titan will turn out to be?

oHw5R0V.jpg

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    This is ancient history and we still have no idea what exactly it is. My guess: If Blizzard is smart and utilizes their brand power and history with WoW development to make something that takes into account an increasing desire among MMO gamers for open world, more sandboxy MMOs and add the quality of life and goodness of WoW's more positive changes since vanilla, they will have a winner (again) and we'll all start playing it and the next decade will be other companies trying to copy them (again) or hopefully learning from precedent.

Or it might be more of the same and be successful on name alone.

What will be interesting is if they go with a subscription again or try their hand at F2P finally; that will depend greatly on both brand power and, most importantly, on whether they make a game that people enjoy enough and for long enough that they can justify a subscription.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Well, all I know is that if the game is released on time with the chart, Titan will be competing with Elder Scrolls Online.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Things that that chart also says:

Heart of the Swarm was released a year ago, along with "Pheonix".
    The WoW TCG had nothing of note happen until halfway through this year, and we're all enjoying the WoW film.

Also, I don't think anything will be "competing" with Elder Scrolls Online, because I don't think that's going to be a very "competitive" game.

Anyway though we really don't know anything about Titan. Not a single bit of information that's remotely confirmed has come out, so anything we can discuss is hearsay. What this mostly will be is people guessing what Titan would be based on what MMOs are right now. Which is fine but I mean, let's face it - have recent MMOs been released based on what MMOs are right now? :P

(Also here's my guess: Titan is abandonware)

liEt3nH.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Roe wrote: »
    Well, all I know is that if the game is released on time with the chart, Titan will be competing with Elder Scrolls Online.

That probably won't be a serious competitor. What we've seen so far of ESO is that it's solid, but still just more of the same, and certainly not the traditional Elder Scrolls experience. Riding on the name alone here won't work as well as Titan's ability to ride on WoW's tail and make something new in the process.

Titan's competition will stem from games coming later down the pipe, ones we won't see for a couple years yet (World of Darkness, Pathfinder Online, Everquest 3), some of which might not even be traditional MMOs in the sub/F2P financial model (Star Citizen), and some games that aren't even a glimmer in the eye of a dev yet (a new Superhero MMO, more MMOFPSes like Planetside 2, more modern day MMOs like The Secret World and APB, and more RPG focused ones like SW:TOR).

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    'TITAN' is still in production.
    It will be announced at Blizzcon.

Hint: It is coded 'TITAN' because of inspiration from Titan A.E. The game is going to be marketed as a 'single universe MMO without realms.'

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    'TITAN' is still in production.
    It will be announced at Blizzcon.

Hint: It is coded 'TITAN' because of inspiration from Titan A.E. The game is going to be marketed as a 'single universe MMO without realms.'

Holy shit. If this is true...

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's pretty tough for me to imagine that a modern, next gen (or whatever) MMO from the premiere publisher in the genre is coming out in less than a year and we still don't even have a clue what it is.

it's also seems pretty improbable that such a game would be announced at blizzcon, less than two months before its release.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    it's pretty tough for me to imagine that a modern, next gen (or whatever) MMO from the premiere publisher in the genre is coming out in less than a year and we still don't even have a clue what it is.

it's also seems pretty improbable that such a game would be announced at blizzcon, less than two months before its release.

And now we play the waiting game.
    *edit* Let me clarify.

Releasing tons of information on a product before it is ready or released is old-hat marketing. Products sell more when they are announced shortly before their launch window. This allows the 'hype train' to still be running on full. Apple does this with nearly every product and it works wonderfully for them. Blizzard has a built-in audience of over 11 million or more at their fingertips. It won't take much for them to sell their new MMO to the people in short order.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Every discussion I've had about this game leads to the same conclusion; it's way too premature to talk about the game. We know the internal name for the game and maybe know its target release date. That's it.

I mean... Do we really know anything new?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Nope!

liEt3nH.png
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    If they're planning on releasing it at the end of 2013 and there has been literally zero details on it.. I have no clue what's going on over there. The game should be pretty much complete at this point. Why are they so deathly afraid of telling us anything about it. This is the most secretive Blizzard has ever been about any game, I think.

TheBog wrote: »
    If they're planning on releasing it at the end of 2013 and there has been literally zero details on it.. I have no clue what's going on over there. The game should be pretty much complete at this point. Why are they so deathly afraid of telling us anything about it. This is the most secretive Blizzard has ever been about any game, I think.

Whatever it is, if it really is knock your socks off material I might be able to forgive Blizzard for some of the decisions they've made in regards to WoW's development over time and that whole D3 being lackluster thing. But that's just personal preference; they could sell us a pile of feces and a million fanboys would line up to defend it to the death like it was the bloody king of Fecesland.

I fully expect it to be another finely crafted, polished, perhaps a little dry, experience; whatever it ends up being, at the very least. And for it to sell a fuckton of copies. Perhaps the game is so much of a departure for Blizzard in the IP and design departments that they want to develop it in a vacuum with only public precedent and their own experience to go on rather then years of fans hyping and complaining and the like.

488W936.png
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Henroid wrote: »

Nope!

Some time ago Blizzard was hiring a physics programmer for a next gen MMO. That's all I got to add. If Titan is a Sci-Fi game then it may have some kind of action element corresponding to structural destruction that would necessitate some physics systems.

Also, Blizzard was working in some capacity on incarnations of Diablo 3 ("Project Hydra") in secret for like 8 years before they actually announced it, so this is not exactly unprecedented for them to be quiet about big projects. I highly doubt Titan is "vaporware", especially if the rumors that all their big gun team leads from the original WoW staff having been gradually moved onto Titan are true. It seems very possible it's their biggest project right now

Scosglen on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Whatever it is, if it really is knock your socks off material I might be able to forgive Blizzard for some of the decisions they've made in regards to WoW's development over time and that whole D3 being lackluster thing. But that's just personal preference; they could sell us a pile of feces and a million fanboys would line up to defend it to the death like it was the bloody king of Fecesland.

I fully expect it to be another finely crafted, polished, perhaps a little dry, experience; whatever it ends up being, at the very least. And for it to sell a fuckton of copies. Perhaps the game is so much of a departure for Blizzard in the IP and design departments that they want to develop it in a vacuum with only public precedent and their own experience to go on rather then years of fans hyping and complaining and the like.

You and me brother, we're of the same mind.

If Wikipedia is to be believed then one of the Blizzard Devs mentioned in Gamasutra March 2011 that Titan was in fact playable.

Ah, specifically this quote:
    "We're very confident in that product. It's an awesome one," Sams added. "We're playing it already. It is a total ball to play. We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that. I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has."

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Also, Blizzard was working in some capacity on incarnations of Diablo 3 ("Project Hydra") in secret for like 8 years before they actually announced it, so this is not exactly unprecedented for them to be quiet about big projects.

It's not that they're being quiet about it for so long. It's that it's suppose to be released within the year and there's been zero information on it so close to proposed released date. Diablo 3 was announced what... 2008? And released 2012.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is it possible they've teamed up with their partner Activision to make titan?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Roe wrote: »
    Is it possible they've teamed up with their partner Activision to make titan?

I want to make a joke about combining Titan with COD or Guitar Hero and shady business practices but lack of any info on titan prevents me.

If they teamed up with Activision it would only be to get access to more dev teams and the like; Blizzard is the only studio in that corporate pyramid successful enough to mostly avoid any negative influences.

488W936.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Call of Duty in Space, winter 2013.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Because everything is improved by adding in/from space to it. Everything, no exceptions.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Because everything is improved by adding in/from space to it. Everything, no exceptions.

Indeed. See: Starcraft.

• CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular

And now we play the waiting game.
    *edit* Let me clarify.

Releasing tons of information on a product before it is ready or released is old-hat marketing. Products sell more when they are announced shortly before their launch window. This allows the 'hype train' to still be running on full. Apple does this with nearly every product and it works wonderfully for them. Blizzard has a built-in audience of over 11 million or more at their fingertips. It won't take much for them to sell their new MMO to the people in short order.
    You're saying so many things I want to believe >_>

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
    Well one thing's for sure, there's an overabundance of fantasy MMOs and a significant lack of sci-fi MMOs.

Well one thing's for sure, there's an overabundance of fantasy MMOs and a significant lack of sci-fi MMOs.

And modern day MMOs like Secret World. Or anything that mixes some of these styles.

488W936.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The only things we know about Titan is that it's an MMO and that it's developed by Blizzard. We don't even have a real name yet.

A thread is so premature it's not even funny.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.