As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Securing Health Care, Checking My Rights

PriestPriest Registered User regular
Hello All!

I am a "Non Traditional" student attending a University, just 25, turning 26 in September. As such, on my 26th Birthday, I will no longer be eligible to be on my Parent's insurance.

Unfortunately, I have had very little luck discussing my options with my current health care provider - they are pretty much obfuscating the truth so that they can profit. As a student-hourly employee at my University, I am not entitled to benefits.

I do know that I can pay for health insurance with my University, but don't know what other options I have out there. Who can I talk to and get a straight answer about this? With the new Health Care act, a lot of laws are changing, and I don't know my options and rights. I don't believe National Health care is hitting until 2014, and I can't afford a lapse, because I have pre-existing conditions that will need to carry over to my next provider.

Help please!

Thank you

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    What state are you in?

• Options
    Colorado

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    I do know that I can pay for health insurance with my University, but don't know what other options I have out there. Who can I talk to and get a straight answer about this? With the new Health Care act, a lot of laws are changing, and I don't know my options and rights. I don't believe National Health care is hitting until 2014, and I can't afford a lapse, because I have pre-existing conditions that will need to carry over to my next provider.

Your options are, briefly:

1) An individual health plan through a private HMO or health insurance company.
    Since you have pre-existing conditions, it is likely that this will be prohibitively expensive.
    However, you might be able to get catastrophic or high-deductible coverage that is affordable and will help you cover emergencies.
    You will have to contact those HMOs and health insurance companies individually to get quotes.
    Colorado has a nice easy to use directory of health insurance companies available here: http://finder.healthcare.gov/?state=CO&x=11&y=13

2) Your university health insurance.

3) Get a job that offers health insurance.

4) If you make less than $27,925, you qualify for Colorado's indigent care program. This is not health insurance, but a way for you to get basic care through certain doctors and clinics in Colorado. http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/HCPF/HCPF/1214299805914

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Suddenly $100 a month for Health Care from my university seems inexpensive....

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's a pretty reasonable price. For americe anyway.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    If you want continuous coverage, I would recommend you sign up with your school's insurance at least for the fall semester of 2013. Around October of 2013, open enrollment will begin for the state run exchange (I believe Colorado plans to set up their own). You can at that point check the price and benefits that are available to you and may even be eligible for a subsidy. If you did purchase one of these plans, coverage would start in January of 2014. You will probably want to weigh whether your student insurance is more affordable at that point in time though.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Feral nailed it, but yeah $100 a month is a goddamn steal.

I don't know Colorado's underwriting regs off the top of my head, but you aren't going to get $100 a month premium on an individual plan anywhere with a pre-existing condition that doesn't have a FUCK YOU deductible.

• Options
    Thanks all for the assist with this, it's nice to have help from folks (whose, who's) sole interest isn't to make money for an insurance company....

(4:45 AM, sorry for Grammar.)

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular

Which university? I had the one from CU and while it had some annoying hoops to jump through the coverage was decent. Limited providers, but if you're a college student they assume you're going to be within a certain distance of the university most of the time.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    CSU turns out it's about 175 a month, but gotta take what I can get.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    CSU turns out it's about 175 a month, but gotta take what I can get.

With a pre-existing condition, $175 is great until your state adopts the national health care model. My sister has a pre-existing condition, and the lowest quote she found for personal health care while unemployed was $875/month for emergency care only.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Holy shit, how can anyone pay that.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Holy shit, how can anyone pay that.

That was the compromise unfortunately. Though this might start teetering into a D&D style thread.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Well shit, 175 a month is great. I've got federal employee health insurance and I pay about that.

For just general education purposes. You can do catastrophic insurance, and it isn't bad in combination with a HSA, but it isn't very good. Essentially you hope you don't get sick the first couple of years while you try to get your HSA up to the level of your deductable, but after that it is generally a lot cheaper than an HMO or regular insurance, and you get a yearly physical and blood work done as well as prescription coverage, generally, but I have been told that the first couple of years you might as well not have insurance. If you got a reasonable HMO or PPO at 175 a month, I would do it.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Wow. I sure do like living in Canada...

I saw the $100/175 and was like "not bad" and then realized "wait we're talking monthly." My old university's health and dental coverage combined is $226.55 for the year now, apparently.

Sounds like you'll be fine through the university, and can take a look at things again when national options sort themselves out.

OrokosPA.png