As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick XBox headset question

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
So Halo 4 on Live is the most consistently effective way to chat with several of our friends from college (for big ol' nerds you'd think they'd check and respond to their email more than once a month).
My wife doesn't play Halo so getting her a Live account just to chat is out. If I get a Y splitter and plug another headset into it, will it work?
By my layman's understanding it should be fine at least on the output side and maybe the only issue is some signal attenuation making it quieter than normal?
For the input I don't know what it would do with both of us talking though only one seems like it would work.

steam_sig.png

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    You could use a second controller and sign her in as your "guest" and connect a headset that way. This is in the past how I've done it when I have 2-3 people around that also want to chat, just hook up extra controllers and sign them in as my splitscreeners.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Really? Guests can use voice chat now? they didn't used to. Also ewww split screen, especially if she's not playing.

steam_sig.png
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I don't know how you would do the voice, but she could hear everyone if you just run the in-game voices through the speakers.

Lilnoobs on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    I don't know how you would do the voice, but she could hear everyone if you just run the in-game voices through the speakers.
    That was my first attempt, but for some reason, I don't know if it's an issue with the XBox or with Halo4 but voice chat is almost inaudible through the speakers over the game sound and music, even with the voice volume turned all the way up and game volume turned all the way down in the system settings.
    That setting actually made no discernible difference at all actually.

steam_sig.png