As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Secret World] HEY! It's free to play (with purchase)!

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You tottaly do.

Indeed I believe there is nothing stopping you from purchasing and making use of TWO assault rifles at the same time
    MAC11_Dual_Wield_BO.png

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Tottaly yes XP.

I think the reason why yours is not increasing is because at some point you declined a phone call to do a faction quest. To fix this go to the faction HQ and find whoever called you to start the mission (it's a good one too if it's the same as the Templars).

Also, I appreciate the dedication to blat blat blat it takes to deny yourself even a secondary weapon for the stats. Truly you are a man of BULLETS and while you're in the wrong faction I can respect that.

Wait.

If I carry a secondary weapon, I get the stats from it too just for having it equipped?

Yes.

Gah!

I need another weapon then! But running around with a shotgun and an AR on my back looks dumbs... Maybe I will get pistols.

Which other ones are small?

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Tottaly yes XP.

I think the reason why yours is not increasing is because at some point you declined a phone call to do a faction quest. To fix this go to the faction HQ and find whoever called you to start the mission (it's a good one too if it's the same as the Templars).

Also, I appreciate the dedication to blat blat blat it takes to deny yourself even a secondary weapon for the stats. Truly you are a man of BULLETS and while you're in the wrong faction I can respect that.

Wait.

If I carry a secondary weapon, I get the stats from it too just for having it equipped?

Yes.

Gah!

I need another weapon then! But running around with a shotgun and an AR on my back looks dumbs... Maybe I will get pistols.

Well you will probably rarely ever notice the Elemental Focus. Especially if you wear a jacket.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Tottaly yes XP.

Wait.

Yes.

Gah!

Sword wont conflict

Pistols are fine

But seriously, test if you can hold two AR's at once. It's the logical thing to do.

(Also, how do Savage coast)

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Tottaly yes XP.

Wait.

Yes.

Gah!

Sword wont conflict

Pistols are fine

But seriously, test if you can hold two AR's at once. It's the logical thing to do.

(Also, how do Savage coast)

Okay so I will check out pistols and elemental foci.

As far as Savage Coast goes, I just pewpew'd everything till they were dead.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Sometimes I live when I use my AR/Pistol DPS set up or my weakness tanky set up. Just any other set up doesn't cut it at all.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I am not having a problem with survivability in Savage coast, but I was having a DPS problem in that I couldn't kill things very quickly

Turns out I had like...6 hit rating. WHOOOPS this is what I get for passing on all the DPS gear in dungeons...

Relatedly who wants to run me through Hell Risen again and again until I get a bunch of DPS talismans?

• Options
    I would if I had higher Ql stuff.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    @AnteCantelope and @Simpsonia: Thanks for the info!

My gear right now is +Crit, so my +Pen is relatively small. To wit, I was wondering if I could get away with this as a base build: Help me penetrate!

DA and Shootout are the only Pistol things left in there, so I could conceivably switch it to shotgun. But I'm more concerned with the passive spread- essentially it's a bunch of "increase damage" ones with a trigger in affliction.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @AlbinoBunny - After looking at your Chronicle page... your problem is pretty easy to spot.

You're spreading your SP far, far too thin. Seriously, pick two weapons and stick with them until you've maxed them. You could have had all your Talismans at rank 4 (allowing QL5 ones), and two weapons at rank 4 at least, allowing QL5, and be doing so much better in the Savage Coast. You're expanding too far horizontally, and not going vertically to go with the increase in mob toughness as you go through the zones.

I mean, all your Talismans are at rank 2. You're using talismans that drop in the first zone!

Edit: For reference, here's a character at pretty much the same sort of experience level as you (he's admittedly a little further on), which much more directed skill point expenditure: Rockfall. He can get through Polaris, Hell Rising, and I think the Darkness Wars with little difficulty. Honestly, don't neglect your Talisman skills (they're arguably more important than your weapon skills), and choose two weapons, MAYBE three, until you get to Transylvania. You'll have a much easier time of it.

Going through the earlier zones and running Polaris a couple of times should get you a decent bank of SP together if you're having trouble in the later ones.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, Templar aren't nice guys either. Pretty much every time you step out of line with finding the source of a problem or mass murdering the opposition the quest text at the end is Sonnac going 'very cute you have feelings, but feelings don't get the job done so get back to solving the problem rather than saving people'.

Which I like for the same reason I like the TR in PS2 conviction of cause is a pretty easy thing to riff off of.

Fun Fact: We can't pad our bottom line with smiles and happy feelings.

• Options
    @Kay: I had some AP to use so I put together your soloing build.

Now I understand why Kama-Itachi behaves like a possessed woman and leaps into the fray.

• Options
    @Kay: I had some AP to use so I put together your soloing build.

Now I understand why Kama-Itachi behaves like a possessed woman and leaps into the fray.
    Isn't it great? Every attack buffs your survivability and your damage and you heal constantly and you barely ever drop below 80% health.

The only -problem- with it is finding the right mix of Attack Rating, Heal Rating, and HP tankiness, because you do need all three for it.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I seem to be doing fine with my solo talisman setup. I only wish that the multi-hit burst attacks actually looked and felt like you're hitting multiple times.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Kay wrote: »
    @AlbinoBunny - After looking at your Chronicle page... your problem is pretty easy to spot.

You're spreading your SP far, far too thin. Seriously, pick two weapons and stick with them until you've maxed them. You could have had all your Talismans at rank 4 (allowing QL5 ones), and two weapons at rank 4 at least, allowing QL5, and be doing so much better in the Savage Coast. You're expanding too far horizontally, and not going vertically to go with the increase in mob toughness as you go through the zones.

I mean, all your Talismans are at rank 2. You're using talismans that drop in the first zone!

Edit: For reference, here's a character at pretty much the same sort of experience level as you (he's admittedly a little further on), which much more directed skill point expenditure: Rockfall. He can get through Polaris, Hell Rising, and I think the Darkness Wars with little difficulty. Honestly, don't neglect your Talisman skills (they're arguably more important than your weapon skills), and choose two weapons, MAYBE three, until you get to Transylvania. You'll have a much easier time of it.

Going through the earlier zones and running Polaris a couple of times should get you a decent bank of SP together if you're having trouble in the later ones.

Yeah but I'm only just entering Savage Coast. I've literally had 0 chance to get ahold of QL4 talismans let alone QL5. Hence why my SP is kinda scattered.

Would it make that much difference to have my SP spent above what I have advailable to use? It's only like 10HP per level.

EDIT: even then I can't think of 2 weapons I want to carry forwards... All of the ones I've picked up I really like except blood and chaos, and in blood's case it directly leads into shiney outfit and healing which are both things I kinda want.

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    Huh. I always figured the ones I had did look that way. Lots of multi-punch action, and a good, strong, heavy one-two hit with, uh, One-Two.

I think it's more that Run Rampant and Four Horsemen sort of share the triple-punch combo animation.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

Yeah but I'm only just entering Savage Coast. I've literally had 0 chance to get ahold of QL4 talismans let alone QL5. Hence why my SP is kinda scattered.

Would it make that much difference to have my SP spent above what I have advailable to use? It's only like 10HP per level.
    It's only a few HP per level for the -skill-, but the talismans themselves give oodles of stats. Talismans are all of your HP, and a big chunk of your damage and healing potential. Next time I'm around for a while, and you're around for a while, I can log Rockfall on and compare our numbers just to give you a better idea of how much more powerful you could be. Rockfall has no trouble whatsoever in Polaris and Hell Rising, Darkness Wars is a little tougher for him because he doesn't have a full set of QL5 talismans yet, but once he has though, DW will be pretty easy for him to tank.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options

It's only a few HP per level for the -skill-, but the talismans themselves give oodles of stats. Talismans are all of your HP, and a big chunk of your damage and healing potential. Next time I'm around for a while, and you're around for a while, I can log Rockfall on and compare our numbers just to give you a better idea of how much more powerful you could be. Rockfall has no trouble whatsoever in Polaris and Hell Rising, Darkness Wars is a little tougher for him because he doesn't have a full set of QL5 talismans yet, but once he has though, DW will be pretty easy for him to tank.

Yeah, but I can run Polaris fine. The issue is I'm transitioning into Savage coast and it's become near impossible to do quests outside of running two builds and being really careful with mob pulling so I'm never getting to SEE QL4-5 stuff.

• Options
    QL4-5 should be cheap as chips on the auction house. I just made my own and put the glyphs I wanted in them all the way up if I felt I was lacking.

A full set of QL3 blues should be better than QL5 greens though, or at least on par, and that's good enough for Hell Rising and most of the second area. Just follow the main questline to see where to go. (It's the dude that comes to see you in the first part of the story quest in the Savage Coast, he's near the middle of the zone.)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    So... where's the AH? I feel the need to spend pittance and up my game.

And yeah, it was doing the League of Monster Slayers thing that got me murdered repeatedly (unless I was running my weakness build which is dull as fuck and even then if I pulled two ak'ab I was dead).

Will still need to save up some skill points for QL4-5 stuff but that shouldn't be too hard considering I've only done 3 investigations in Kingsmouth (I duo them with a friend who rarely plays).

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So... where's the AH?

The post office in London.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    So... where's the AH?

The post office in London.

Also that bank in London. Though the post office is right next to Ealdwic Station so it'd probably be your go to spot.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is the fastest way to farm up some mayan remains? I want to get a ton and trade them over to my new alt.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is the fastest way to farm up some mayan remains? I want to get a ton and trade them over to my new alt.

The strategy outlined earlier in other posts, but to summarize:

Go to a warded area. Morninglight camp in Kingsmouth, or the faculty room at the Academy are the popular choices. (I imagine the church in Kingsmouth would do as well? Just seems like a tighter area to work with though.)

Put on an instant, AoE attack that you can spam (Blade has a lot of these).

Stand inside the warded area, but close enough to the edge of it that your attack will tag Mayans outside it. If you're positioned correctly, you'll tag them as they spawn, and as they run to attack you they'll hit the ward and go poof.

Repeat. Now, my trick here: When you see Servant of Nine Nights pop, turn your character so you're facing inside the warded area. The next spawn is almost always the upgraded Servant of Seven Deaths (he of ~250k HP) and since the Mayans spawn in the direction you're facing, he'll pop inside the warded area and immediately die. Then just turn back to face outside the ward and continue.

Note that depending on how quickly you spot So9N and turn, So7D can spawn outside the ward. He's problematic as he has a ranged AoE that he can spam from outside the ward. So if this happens, break LOS with him (move further into the warded area) and force him to chase you, thus walking into the ward.

You'll get a lot of drops this way but no XP unless you actually kill them (without using the ward, that is).

Also, the moment you get a Charred Rune from opening a remains, use it. It dramatically increases their respawn rate, thus making you more efficient at farming. I got enough K'in for the bird in less than an hour- probably more like 30 minutes or so.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

The strategy outlined earlier in other posts, but to summarize:

Go to a warded area. Morninglight camp in Kingsmouth, or the faculty room at the Academy are the popular choices. (I imagine the church in Kingsmouth would do as well? Just seems like a tighter area to work with though.)

Put on an instant, AoE attack that you can spam (Blade has a lot of these).

Stand inside the warded area, but close enough to the edge of it that your attack will tag Mayans outside it. If you're positioned correctly, you'll tag them as they spawn, and as they run to attack you they'll hit the ward and go poof.

Repeat. Now, my trick here: When you see Servant of Nine Nights pop, turn your character so you're facing inside the warded area. The next spawn is almost always the upgraded Servant of Seven Deaths (he of ~250k HP) and since the Mayans spawn in the direction you're facing, he'll pop inside the warded area and immediately die. Then just turn back to face outside the ward and continue.

Note that depending on how quickly you spot So9N and turn, So7D can spawn outside the ward. He's problematic as he has a ranged AoE that he can spam from outside the ward. So if this happens, break LOS with him (move further into the warded area) and force him to chase you, thus walking into the ward.

You'll get a lot of drops this way but no XP unless you actually kill them (without using the ward, that is).

Also, the moment you get a Charred Rune from opening a remains, use it. It dramatically increases their respawn rate, thus making you more efficient at farming. I got enough K'in for the bird in less than an hour- probably more like 30 minutes or so.

The church doesn't work, I tried it earlier.

I figured using the wards was the fastest but it always seems like someone is doing it and I also wondered if doing it would cause problems with GMs or some such thing or do they not care?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular

My gear right now is +Crit, so my +Pen is relatively small. To wit, I was wondering if I could get away with this as a base build: Help me penetrate!

DA and Shootout are the only Pistol things left in there, so I could conceivably switch it to shotgun. But I'm more concerned with the passive spread- essentially it's a bunch of "increase damage" ones with a trigger in affliction.

A couple of issues here. Lethality is nice, but only for super high-end gear with tons of Hit rating. It isn't stated on the tooltip in the builder, but all misses/glances makes you lose the buff stacks, so you're constantly starting from scratch on them. As for Bloodsport, I see it's an easier way to get affliction since you can't reliably pen for Third Degree, but it just doesn't have much damage on it. As for Dark Potency, those stacks of Pen rating actually aren't doing much. Every 140ish Pen rating only increases pen chance by about ~4%, while at higher ratings of 700+ it's only around ~2%. The straight 10% pen chance buffs are far better. You could either keep Bloodsport and go with Iron Maiden, or what I recommend doing is dropping both and picking up Eagle Eye, and Overpenetration for the 10% pen buff. And if you do already have a high Crit rating, definitely keep One in the Chamber in, that's a great damage proc.

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Tottaly yes XP.

Wait.

Yes.

No. If you watch your stats page, equipping a second weapon doesn't change your stats. If, say, weapon one has +crit, and weapon two has +pen, you'll notice that swapping from one to two lowers your crit and raises your pen. And the attack ratings don't stack either.

The reason that two weapons are more powerful than one is that for every five builders you do you can do two consumers instead of one, which will roughly boost your dps by 30%.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    The stats on your weapons only apply when USING that weapon. Bear that in mind when calculating a build.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Yeah, it's why the stats on your talismans are generally more important. I honestly don't stress about my weapon secondary stats all that much, though I think my Chaos focus has Evade, and my Fist weapons have Crit Rating, as opposed to Crit Power.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    So from what I understand, builds focusing completely on damage-over-time (instead of just applying and then exploiting the afflicted state) are...not very good

Is this true, yes? And thus, are passives like blood bank and unholy knowledge just...not good?

• Options
    There are some attacks that proc a BIG damage bleed (Exsanguinate - about 50% more than a single builder hit but it's over 10 seconds) that can be buffed up, but it's probably better off with things that proc when afflicting, or do big damage on afflicted targets, like Clearing the Path (Autopenetrate afflicted targets), Blaze with Eidolon (boosted crit chance versus Afflicted targets), or Dark Potency (stack Penetrate Rating on afflict).

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Entirely using afflict is a bad idea, but there are some afflicts that do good damage and are valuable additions to your build. Basically, if you can afflict them and keep them afflicted without using too many of your skills, it can make a nice improvement to your DPS, and it especially helps inflict other effects on them like Kay says.

• Options
    Okay, so decided to focus on going for the Paladin deck for templar http://www.thesecretworld.com/world/decks/24

In so much that I am working towards having all the abilities on it. Will this be effective through solomon island (I have maxed out pistol and swords inner already so working on outer ring from start of Savage coast) and where can I go from this start off?

• Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

A couple of issues here. Lethality is nice, but only for super high-end gear with tons of Hit rating. It isn't stated on the tooltip in the builder, but all misses/glances makes you lose the buff stacks, so you're constantly starting from scratch on them. As for Bloodsport, I see it's an easier way to get affliction since you can't reliably pen for Third Degree, but it just doesn't have much damage on it. As for Dark Potency, those stacks of Pen rating actually aren't doing much. Every 140ish Pen rating only increases pen chance by about ~4%, while at higher ratings of 700+ it's only around ~2%. The straight 10% pen chance buffs are far better. You could either keep Bloodsport and go with Iron Maiden, or what I recommend doing is dropping both and picking up Eagle Eye, and Overpenetration for the 10% pen buff. And if you do already have a high Crit rating, definitely keep One in the Chamber in, that's a great damage proc.

All right, so now I've got this. Not sure what secondary weapon to pick up, but it looks like I can go shotgun for Breaching Shot or pistol for Deadly Aim.

• Options
    Okay, so decided to focus on going for the Paladin deck for templar http://www.thesecretworld.com/world/decks/24

In so much that I am working towards having all the abilities on it. Will this be effective through solomon island (I have maxed out pistol and swords inner already so working on outer ring from start of Savage coast) and where can I go from this start off?
    It'll be fine for soloing. Any deck is pretty solid for soloing. Honestly, at the stage your at, gear is more important than some of the higher tier elite actives and passives.

It'll be hard to run dungeons with it because it's a melee DPS deck. The only pistol abilities are the builder, and a consumer. Melee DPS works, (and works EXCELLENTLY solo), but in dungeons you end up spending a lot of time running away from the enemy and trying to kite that you don't spend as much time attacking. Think about the fight with the Varengian in Polaris, when it electrifies the crates and water, so you either stand at range, or sit in the sparks and take tons of damage. Tanks can deal with that, melee can't.

With some tweaking, you could make a tanking deck out of it, but Pistols is more suited to supplement a DPS deck.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Simpsonia wrote: »

All right, so now I've got this. Not sure what secondary weapon to pick up, but it looks like I can go shotgun for Breaching Shot or pistol for Deadly Aim.

I went shotgun, because the pistol finishers all take longer, and I just wanted to get back to the AR. However, the pistol consumer that cleanses in an AoE can be really useful in some dungeons, for instance the first Hell dungeon, where a lot of things cause you to be afflicted.

• Options
    There are some attacks that proc a BIG damage bleed (Exsanguinate - about 50% more than a single builder hit but it's over 10 seconds) that can be buffed up, but it's probably better off with things that proc when afflicting, or do big damage on afflicted targets, like Clearing the Path (Autopenetrate afflicted targets), Blaze with Eidolon (boosted crit chance versus Afflicted targets), or Dark Potency (stack Penetrate Rating on afflict).

The problem I have with exsanguinate in dungeons is that the affliction only procs on impaired targets, and the dot is only 60 damage (using base values). Exsanguinate itself only does like 250 damage, so I waste five resources on either 250 damage (granted, every hit can crit or penetrate) with generally no lasting DOT because either the timing is off, or the boss mob is immune to impairment effects.

It looks cool as fuck, though, but I feel like even blood spike outdamages it (casting blood spike in rapid succession gets nasty. If you hit just twice in a row with it, it does about 300 damage counting the DoT, and you can cast it three times easily from five resource if you want to bleed yourself.

I mean right now I am using Dark Potency and some other things that react off of Afflicted, but I want a DoT based damage build darnit!

• Options

It'll be fine for soloing. Any deck is pretty solid for soloing. Honestly, at the stage your at, gear is more important than some of the higher tier elite actives and passives.

It'll be hard to run dungeons with it because it's a melee DPS deck. The only pistol abilities are the builder, and a consumer. Melee DPS works, (and works EXCELLENTLY solo), but in dungeons you end up spending a lot of time running away from the enemy and trying to kite that you don't spend as much time attacking. Think about the fight with the Varengian in Polaris, when it electrifies the crates and water, so you either stand at range, or sit in the sparks and take tons of damage. Tanks can deal with that, melee can't.

With some tweaking, you could make a tanking deck out of it, but Pistols is more suited to supplement a DPS deck.

Well the alternative I guess is preacher.

Or with how gimped my character is I could just go make a dragon >.> Don't know atm. I had some really great flow going and it just feels ground to a halt by having to put points into one weapon set and having to re-do stuff to get SP while getting reduced Xp because I have SP.

• Options
    For what it is worth, the preacher deck will work pretty well in dungeons

I basically use a version of that right now when I do DPS, Albino

I mean, the thing is building that deck nets you some ranged abilities no matter what you do, so if you need to you can sit back and ranged attack people.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    NOTE: Your weapons' stats DO NOT INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER. That is to say, the stats on your gun (+crit +hit) will not add crit or hit to your sword and vice versa. EXCEPTION: Glyphs on your weapons interact with both weapons, so the +hit glyph on the sword DOES help the gun. I don't recall if you can glyph weapons though, it has been a while.

TO TEST THIS: Go to your stat page via the gear menu. Press an ability for your main weapon. Look at your stats. Press an ability for your off weapon (again you don't need a target to do this), look at your stats. Notice they change.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
This discussion has been closed.