As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I have two, but this is my fitness/looks/weight one.

-2012+ Resolution-
    Be able to go to the beach/pool with no shirt and feel no shame. (I guess you can add "fit into all the L shirts I have bought recently," but I am so close that I refuse to add it as a resolution.)

Previous resolutions:

-2009-
    Whole year without alcohol.

-2012-
    Get below 200lbs.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • angelia18angelia18 Registered User new member
    Stepped on the scale today and realized I've been making too many excuses. Time to sacrifice a bit of sleep to hit the gym when I need to.

me too.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Somewhat unrelated: Anyone know what happened to @BaconSandwich ?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Man, the holiday season is so much harder this year than last. I'd say I'm on diet 4-5 days out of the week, and maybe terrible choices the other two or three. :( Just so many events I have to go to that I can't really control the food at.

Oh well, once this is all past I'll be back to being strict!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Just have a little. Don't gorge yourself at parties.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Yeah, you can't control the food but you can always control yourself....so sayeth the man with terrible self-control lately.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    I said that....and then I ordered Chinese. :-X

The worst part is eating half earlier and then the other half later and being so full. I HATE being full anymore. It just feels gross.

I only had breakfast before Chinese, so I think it almost balances out. Haha. Somedays you just gotta roll with the punches.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Somewhat unrelated: Anyone know what happened to @BaconSandwich ?

I fell off the edge of the world! It was quite cold there. Just randomly signed back in since I'm finally back in the gym. So much good feels here, guys.

My New Year's resolution is just to keep a consistent gym routine. It seems like any little change in my life and I dump the gym. Want that to not be the case.

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
    Bounced from 199.4 to 202.6. Kind of expected it since 1) fucking chinese food and 2) I lost 5lbs the previous week and no way was I not fluctuating. Still a little less than two weeks to get back under 200 and officially be under at the start of the new year (although I count it as a win being under at all before the new year starts, so I have already won).

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    So I'm going to try to lose weight for the first time in my life. I'm joining a gym after the first of the year, and going to do something (?) different with my diet. I need to lose 15-20 pounds, and I haven't the slightest clue how to go about it.

If I need something SUPER STRUCTURED, what would y'all suggest? I've seen lots of successes on WW, but would love to hear other options.

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    I can't tell you anything about the super structured diets. Get things that will hold you accountable. Myfitnesspal, fitbit, loseit, etc. Having the ability to visually see your progress by the data was one of the most effective methods for me. Get Jefit or Fitocracy on your phone when you go to the gym, and track what exercises you're doing. Again, you'll be able to see the growth in your ability to get things done.

This group can provide a lot of support for you when questions arise. Motivation comes from within you to get the job done. Don't let your mind tell you that something can't be done. There will be times when it's just not pleasant, but as long as you aren't in actual pain, keep pressing forward.

edited December 2012
    And always remember, if worst comes to worst I'll be more than happy to be a boot to your ass come PAX.

Also, it turns out I got myself a pretty awesome Bobcat this year.
    A_JzFK5CEAAV_RYjpglarge_zps854fc5c5.jpg

PayneTrayne on
    Swae wrote: »
    So I'm going to try to lose weight for the first time in my life. I'm joining a gym after the first of the year, and going to do something (?) different with my diet. I need to lose 15-20 pounds, and I haven't the slightest clue how to go about it.

If I need something SUPER STRUCTURED, what would y'all suggest? I've seen lots of successes on WW, but would love to hear other options.

I started Weight Watchers on the first of this year and have lost 52.8lbs. I had no clue what to expect or do. I just signed up for their online "program" and that was it.

All I did was put in my height, weight, age, etc. They calculate a daily point total and a weekly allowance (to be spent whenever if you go over on some days). I literally eat anything I want and just use their calculator (which is on their online site and in their iOS app) to come up with the point totals. Through this, I found myself watching what I actually eat for the first time in my life (if only to be able to eat more food for less points).

I think they are having a special where you can join for free, but who knows what that really means. They might just get rid of some sort of fee. Anyway, I pay $50 every three months to use their online system. I just log my food, have weigh in once a week, and that is it. Seeing the chart with a line going down and down feels incredible.

If you need pointers or help with anything, you have plenty of outlets to get a hold of me. Good luck!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Time to own it. Got back in the gym today, and weighed in at 230. That's up about 12 pounds from just before Sandy, when I started lapsing into old habits. No excuses, just shitty eating.

So I will use PAX as my rallying cry again, and aim for 210. I have a feeling just making better eating choice will drop 10 lbs fairly quickly. The rest is on me.

Need to get to a Dr. to check out this breathing problem I've had for a few months.. wheezing at night and when doing activity isn't helping, for sure.

@vttym you can do it, you've done it before and you can kick ass again.

Fellow PAX enthusiasts, it is time to charge into the new year with sore muscles. Get back in their and kick some ass in the gym or wherever you happen to work out!

edited January 2013
    I'm firmly back in the weight watchers saddle, gonna get me some cold weather gear so I can start walking again. Winter is no excuse!

@Swea Weight Watchers is awesome, I cannot recommend it enough.

I'll be getting on the scale Sunday for the first time since right before Xmas, I'm really not looking forward to what it tells me. :(

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I've been present but silent for a while. Mostly out of shame. After a year or so of progress, the last few months have been a serious backslide. I could make excuses (work, getting back into class, ending a relationship, blah blah), but the reality is that these things happen and accepting it is important to making progress.
    The worst part isn't eating the food I know I shouldn't be - it's feeling the out-of-shapeness return. 2.5 months out of the gym? Breathing harder, feeling jeans and jackets feel a little bit tighter... It's horrible.
    I think I've finally gathered enough willpower to get serious again. Last year's group photo is my wallpaper, motivating me to get away from the computer. 77 days to PAXEast. That's enough time to get back to where I was last PAX and potentially where I was at my lowest.
    Knowing that @PayneTrayne will kick my butt all over the BCEC if I don't also helps.

5I7JEDi.png
    Hey @Direwolf - you have that group picture saved anywhere? Would love to put that up as mine too.

@vttym you can do it, you've done it before and you can kick ass again.

Fellow PAX enthusiasts, it is time to charge into the new year with sore muscles. Get back in their and kick some ass in the gym or wherever you happen to work out!

Isn't it my job to be the fountain of endless optimism? Thanks :)

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Hey @Direwolf - you have that group picture saved anywhere? Would love to put that up as mine too.
    I think the original post with it was deep in the expired thread. So here's a fresh upload.

5I7JEDi.png
    I keep forgetting that PAX is right around the corner. I made May 18 a deadline for getting to 180lbs (at 202.4lbs currently). I made July 1 a deadline for going to the beach/pool and not wearing a shirt with confidence. Maybe I will make another deadline for PAX.

Weighed in today. Lost .8lbs. Back to the grind!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    back from the wedding and honeymoon :D
    .... so now I've got to get back to routine exercise.
    Joining everyone else in the Lose Weight Revolution ... so checking out a new gym closer to the house to help meet that goal.

Glad to see the chatter on here though. I am a little off guard about how close PAX actually is @_@ gotta weigh in tomorrow and start it off right.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Welcome back, @ishtra, and congrats again! :)

Felt a little better today on the treadmill. Where the last two days I couldn't run more than 5 minutes TOTAL due to being unable to catch my breath, today I got in 15 minutes total and felt fine throughout (35 minutes of walk/run in all today).

And to think I ran a friggen 5k last year in under 28 minutes. Amazing how fast it can go..

Plan to do a Spartan race in June, to help keep me focused after PAX.

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    It only takes a few weeks of inactivity to lose ground. Really need to keep pushing for something. Even 30 minutes a day of something is better than nothing.

I took two months off from the actual weight-loss portion, but kept up on the weight training. I decided after Thanksgiving to start back on weight loss. I'm down from 193 at Thanksgiving to 187 now.

Keep pushing yourselves.

edited January 2013
    Yea, don't give up. Good and bad weeks happen.

Hopped on the ice for a bit today, just shooting around and skating a bit. I think I am starting to feel faster out there, but only when I actually push myself. Which I rarely do. Because I am lazy. Ha. Maybe I will push myself at our game on Tuesday and see where that takes me.

And yea, congrats @ishtra. Did everything go according to plan?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Thanks @vttym and @redfield85 Everything went quite well actually. We had maybe 10 crazy planning issues happen Before the wedding, so the day itself was good.

I keep seeing this Electric run which looks awesome - hoping one will be close to the house on a date I can do, b/c I want to get back into the running and start something new (thinking Yoga or Zumba).

Skiing tomorrow - feels like a nice kick-off point :)

Ooh. Nice. I have skied once in my life and that was in gradeschool on the easy one hill slope. Maybe I need to try that/snowboarding sometime. I mean, ice skating skills just transfer over to that, right? Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    the skating has a fleeting chance of helping you move on skis ... like over horrible crusty icy snow :)

It was a good day. While a bummer that they shut down one lift, we did get in that extra walk wearing fancy leg weights to get to a lift that would take us to the same place. A Win for me :)

I really want to try snowboarding, but I can't wrap my head around having both my feet aligned that way.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • joeve09joeve09 Registered User new member
    Hi I'm new here!

Got some awesome performance Layer 8 gear at TJ MAXX yesterday, and now I can go out in the cold for my walks! I was nicely warm both times I went out today, once when it was 28 and the other at 48. I'm using the performance stuff as a base layer, and then sweatpants and a hoodie over that.

Only gained 3.5lbs over the last month too, woohoo! I can burn that off quickly, I hope.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Welcome @joeve09 !
    and @redfield85 - I'm tempted too, but I feel like I'll get on the mountain, clip my front edge and smash my face ...So I'm too scared :P
    @Chorazin - what is Layer 8? We're looking for some good stuff for skiing layering - is it for wicking?

ishtra wrote: »
    Welcome @joeve09 !
    and @redfield85 - I'm tempted too, but I feel like I'll get on the mountain, clip my front edge and smash my face ...So I'm too scared :P
    @Chorazin - what is Layer 8? We're looking for some good stuff for skiing layering - is it for wicking?

It's a cheaper version of UnderArmour, I guess it's used for heat control and wicking, whatever it is it's warm as hell and doesn't get hot when it gets warmer out. It's like magic!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote: »
    It's a cheaper version of UnderArmour, I guess it's used for heat control and wicking, whatever it is it's warm as hell and doesn't get hot when it gets warmer out. It's like magic!

that sounds awesome. Definitely going to investigate this :)

ishtra wrote: »

that sounds awesome. Definitely going to investigate this :)

Good idea, it was dark as hell and about 26 this morning when I went out, but it didn't feel any colder than 50 during October in just a hoodie and track pants.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    We're thinking about hitting a place called Windham Mountain in NY, so I have no idea about the weather, so faux under armour will definitely come in handy.
    Trying to get fit while I have no time is Super hard :P

edited January 2013
    Weight Watchers Online down for anyone else? Tried the app a bit ago and then got home and tried the site. The app logged me out and I couldn't remember my password, but then I clicked my bookmark for their site and it takes me to their Points Plus page to sign up. I click that and it errors out.

edit: Nevermind. Fixed it.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited January 2013
    Upgraded from the FitBit Ultra to the FitBit One yesterday. Oh man, the One is so awesome. It's about half the size of the Ultra (it would be like if you broke it in half and carried around just the top), and the new belt clip is much more secure. I also love the new sleep wristband, it's made of really nice material. Plus the silent alarm ACTUALLY WOKE ME UP!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited January 2013
    Ack, double post. Sorry. :(

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    edited January 2013
    Upgraded from the FitBit Ultra to the FitBit One yesterday. Oh man, the One is so awesome. It's about half the size of the Ultra (it would be like if you broke it in half and carried around just the top), and the new belt clip is much more secure. I also love the new sleep wristband, it's made of really nice material. Plus the silent alarm ACTUALLY WOKE ME UP!

Is the One shower-proof? A friend mentioned some new FitBits the are, and I wasn't sure if he was referring to ones that are coming out, or the latest ones out now.

Edit: Never mind - it's for the new Flex - http://www.fitbit.com/flex

Looks nice, and may fit my lifestyle a bit better - I always wear a rubber bracelet, so this could replace that. No stair counter though.. but honestly I'm not really doing those anyway.

vttym on