As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Etrian Odyssey 3 - Now includes ships, robots and old people

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Grr. Stupid floor 5 boss. Jumped forward when I wasn't expecting it and slaughtered me.

Does poison even work on him, like at all? A Boosted Alchemist couldn't get it to land.

I might just reroll some of these characters. I went for TP Regen on my Alchemist, which is pointless. Was going for the XP boost on my Troubadour, which is nice (but useless right now). And for some reason I thought I needed 5 points in Axe for All-Slash, so my Landshark is a bit spread out.

I'm comfortably able to farm on floor 3/4 so... Might as well?

God, Fenir is a complete brick wall. Even when everything goes perfectly, I only get him down about halfway before running out of TP et all. I think it might be time to reroll my Alchemist, Protector, etc. Or maybe invest in some healing items, I haven't checked to see if any good ones have appeared.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    EO 1: Protip. FIRE.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    God, Fenir is a complete brick wall. Even when everything goes perfectly, I only get him down about halfway before running out of TP et all. I think it might be time to reroll my Alchemist, Protector, etc. Or maybe invest in some healing items, I haven't checked to see if any good ones have appeared.

a) What Xenogears of Bore said. And not just for your alchemist either - you should have found some blaze oil on your way to Fenrir, I hope you didn't waste it. Slap it on your landshark, watch the sparks fly.

b) Have you found the shortcut near his place? In case you didn't know, most of them aren't one way after you use them so it should cut down your travel time.

c) Either reroll your troubadour or bench him. From the sound of it you're trying to power level him while simultaneously trying to kill a boss, and that doesn't work in this game (at least not the first time you fight them).

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I'm finally going to finish EO2. This time for real.

I'm running a RW/HTG team. The Hexer and War Magus are working pretty well together and I think I have enough elemental attacks between my Ronin and Gunner. I don't have any revive abilities and I'm not sure about my Troubador's ability to protect with shelter and the elemental buff/debuff songs.

I levelled up that team because it was different than my EO1 team, which I was still using. I think the same classes, plus itching to play different classes is what was bogging me down before. I'm back up to exploring new parts of the 3rd Stratum, on the 14th floor.

Once I find a good spot to power level, I'll probably bring up a second team for nodes and exploring the class specific areas.

Anything is possible with Hexer but that party does seem a bit squishy and slow.

Yeah. Kinda wish I hadn't gone Poison.

Or TP Regen.

I finally beat him though. I spent about 1000 bucks on healing items and tp healing items. Was able to beat him even though 4 skolls joined. Poison vs the Skolls worked well, when I wasn't stunlocked by fear. The first enemy I fought in the next area dropped an item that allowed me to buy weapons well over twice my old weapon's power. Sigh.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I'm finally going to finish EO2. This time for real.

I'm running a RW/HTG team. The Hexer and War Magus are working pretty well together and I think I have enough elemental attacks between my Ronin and Gunner. I don't have any revive abilities and I'm not sure about my Troubador's ability to protect with shelter and the elemental buff/debuff songs.

I levelled up that team because it was different than my EO1 team, which I was still using. I think the same classes, plus itching to play different classes is what was bogging me down before. I'm back up to exploring new parts of the 3rd Stratum, on the 14th floor.

Once I find a good spot to power level, I'll probably bring up a second team for nodes and exploring the class specific areas.

Honestly, I feel gunners are better suited to just sticking to pierce damage, because Ricochet on a single enemy is 5 hits of agony.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited December 2012
    Floor 6 exploration, hoo~~~~~

Still no new armor, although now that I'm spamming skills on my Landshark things die a lot faster, although I have to head back to town frequently for TP. Unfortunately, my Poison-Alchemist is basically dead weight right now as Venomgels (which tear me apart) are of course immune to poison. Desperately need some new armor, heh.

Apparently I unlock R/H at floor 11, and if the level = floor x 3 that means I'll be right around the point where I can retire/rest some characters out of this trap I'm in. I'm thinking RP/HMT or RP/AMH once I get that far.

How often do FOEs respawn? I wonder if I am just missing some good gear because I missed out on a FOE item drop. I've killed very FOE I've seen so far without much item drop goodness.

KiTA on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

Still no new armor, although now that I'm spamming skills on my Landshark things die a lot faster, although I have to head back to town frequently for TP. Unfortunately, my Poison-Alchemist is basically dead weight right now as Venomgels (which tear me apart) are of course immune to poison. Desperately need some new armor, heh.

Apparently I unlock R/H at floor 11, and if the level = floor x 3 that means I'll be right around the point where I can retire/rest some characters out of this trap I'm in. I'm thinking RP/HMT or RP/AMH once I get that far.

How often do FOEs respawn? I wonder if I am just missing some good gear because I missed out on a FOE item drop. I've killed very FOE I've seen so far without much item drop goodness.

You've actually killed all the FOEs? That's a very odd trap you're in, they didn't start being immediately killable for me until the fourth stratum.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Tp regen from troubadeurs makes eo1 kinda tedious, but easy. From floor 8-10 or so i never went home at all due to keeping it up constantly. Early on when low, defend a few turns against an easy enemytype with boosted tp song and you are full again.

Once you max immunize, refreshing and the protector damage reduction you walk trough the game on auto, grinding only if you feel like it.

jothki wrote: »

You've actually killed all the FOEs? That's a very odd trap you're in, they didn't start being immediately killable for me until the fourth stratum.

Yeah, I even started killing the Cutters on Floor 6 the second I saw them. If they can be poisoned, I can do 170 damage (well, 200 now) a turn to them. Then it's just a matter of surviving until they die. The problem is, most of the monsters on floor 6 are immune to poison.

FOEs respawn, but how often? I'm hoping I can get the monsters on floor 6 to drop gear that will get me new armor, because so far, ow. 40 damage a hit means I can take 1, maybe 2 rounds of direct fighting.

Although the Cutters did give me bear pelts, which unlocked some form of bear armor (shirt or gloves I think) that helped a tiny bit. I haven't searched through the entire area for more FOEs, if there's another type, who knows, maybe they'll unlock more stuff.

Edit: Ah, Cutters... already respawned. Well, okay.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    You are harvesting, right?

There's also a moderate chance that you abused the shit out of something (in this case, poison) to get ahead of where you actually should be for your level. In which case, congratulations, now get to grinding.

jothki wrote: »
    You are harvesting, right?

There's also a moderate chance that you abused the shit out of something (in this case, poison) to get ahead of where you actually should be for your level. In which case, congratulations, now get to grinding.

I'm level 19, almost 20, which I think puts me as supposed to be on floor 6 or 7. And haven't been harvesting as much as I've been grinding. Apparently there's an angry monkey monster on floor 6 that I haven't gotten to yet, he should drop something maybe that will unlock armor? Who knows. I also have only killed the Moa FOE on 6 once, maybe I need more than one bird leg to unlock something.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    Tp regen from troubadeurs makes eo1 kinda tedious, but easy. From floor 8-10 or so i never went home at all due to keeping it up constantly. Early on when low, defend a few turns against an easy enemytype with boosted tp song and you are full again.

Once you max immunize, refreshing and the protector damage reduction you walk trough the game on auto, grinding only if you feel like it.

Not much, but thanks! The bolded was exactly what I was missing to take out Wyrm. (At least without ruining myself on medicine)

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Are you guys happy now? I just preordered EO4
    Jerks.
    <3

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    ... Wow. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to fight Wyvern. He solidly stomped me into paste.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Or TP Regen.

I finally beat him though. I spent about 1000 bucks on healing items and tp healing items. Was able to beat him even though 4 skolls joined. Poison vs the Skolls worked well, when I wasn't stunlocked by fear. The first enemy I fought in the next area dropped an item that allowed me to buy weapons well over twice my old weapon's power. Sigh.

I never managed to get a copy of EO1, but Poison makes at least the first three Strata of EO2 a cakewalk.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Or TP Regen.

I never managed to get a copy of EO1, but Poison makes at least the first three Strata of EO2 a cakewalk.

It's much stronger in 2.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    And much more inconvenient in 3.
    So it will be convenient in 4.

That being said Poison is ridiculously good for about the first eight floors in EO1. It's just that Fire is even better from about level 15 on if you spend the points right.

So I'm level 30. Just stole a dragon's egg, yo. Trying to force myself down the floors to unlock Ronin. I figure at level 30 I should be able to take the next boss, just a matter of getting down there to him.

I'll have to restart my EO1 playthrough, I think, I'm at level 14 or 16 with a bunch of level 40s...
    And I have zero idea what I should do.

camo_sig2.png
    Here's what you do:

Go down.

makes sense.

camo_sig2.png
    That's right around the time where you get a nearly complete front row medic and protector owning everyone.

Medic? In the front row? What?

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    medic/landsknecht/protector front alchemist/troubadour (or survivalist if you want to play hardmode) is pretty much the general comp later in the game. Since you have immunize/protector anti damage skill running constantly, the medic tanks without any issues.

Plus, Caduceus.

I still preferred a Protector, Dark Hunter, Landshark frontline. The bait skill on the DH, plus line guarding on the Protector was especially effective for me. Add in a whirlwind from the LS and the multitarget attacks were overkill.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The utmost power players say to go with Fire and Ice only in EO1. I'm one of those people who say you can squeeze in some Bolt.

edited January 2013
    Hm. Not really feeling this Ronin class. Wonder if it gets better. I didn't realize that they get bupkis for gear.

My team right now:

RP / AMT

Ronin is new, level 9 or so. Katanas 10, working on Overhead stance et all.
    Protector has Level 10 Defender, not sure where to go with him after that. Passive bonuses right now.

Alchemist has maxed poison and the basic fire. Next up -- ice? The other fire spells?
    Medic has maxed Immunize, just got Revive.
    Troubador has maxed Relaxing, 5 Bravery, working on Divinity now.

I was thinking of retiring the Alchemist for a Hexer later on. Maybe.

Although at this point I'm considering just not saving after retiring my Landshark for a Ronin, heh.

KiTA on
    The Ronin was improved later.

Is there any way to respec? Or I need to relevel a new guy?

I've been away for too long.

camo_sig2.png
    "Retire" is respec.

Ronins suck in EO 1 despite eventually getting the best weapon in the game. So do Hexers. They are both buffed tremendously in EO 2.

I think the postgame will end me.
    Teleport mazes. What the hell, Atlus.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    "Retire" is respec.

No, "Rest" is "lose a couple levels, and respec."

"Retire" is "Delete the character, and create a new level 1 character with some bonuses based on how high of a level the guy who retired was."

Dac Vin wrote: »
    I think the postgame will end me.
    Teleport mazes. What the hell, Atlus.

Try the original Wizardry games. Those, WITH no map, and no compass, and if you die, it saves your position in the dungeon and you have to make a second party to go rescue the first.

EO 3 is the one that really brings the old school bullshit dungeon design back for the final stratum. I hate spinners and dead map rooms so much. Teleport mazes are old hat.

On the bright side, said teleport maze got finally conquered, and I took out the originally named Dragon as a bonus!

He didn't drop shit. :(

Drake remains, I heard bad rumours about him. He can wait until I mapped his place and raised all my retirees back to an acceptable level.

While I'm at it, is there anything particular I should know about retiring? I thought doing it at max level would increase the cap, but it doesn't seem to work.