As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bug?] Posting from Gogo doesn't work

ASimPersonASimPerson Cold...and hard.Registered User regular
So, Gogo is an in-flight wi-fi service. If you need more details, their website is here: http://www.gogoair.com

I've posted on the forums from that in the past, but today it doesn't work. When ever I tried to post, I get a red box above the text entry box that reads: "InsertIPAddress is 14 characters too long."

I'm on Mac OS X 10.8. I tried to post from both Firefox and Safari.

This is only working now because I logged into my company's VPN and presumably got a more normal network environment.

I'm filing this as a Bug? because I'm not sure who's end this sort of thing is really on.

ASimPerson on

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    My best guess is that you're getting an ipv6 address and are sitting behind a (semi-)transparent proxy, and your original address in X-Forwarded-For is getting used by something

edit: I'm a little less certain when I think about it, but if you have troubles again next time you fly, I'd try disabling ipv6 the just to see if it helps

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I checked the networking control panel and I don't have a v6 address, and even then, it appears the forums don't either. Looking at ifconfig, I do a have the link-local v6 address, but that would be true whether I'm on the VPN or not.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    yeah I realized after I made my post it would have to have a pretty weird set up for that to happen

I'd still lean towards some sort of weird proxy behavior, even if my original guess was probably off.

The thing is, it's been seen before, and the last time I don't think their answer was particularly promising.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah I just searched for that thread. What sucks about this is that this a transparent proxy, so it's not like I have any control over it. Of course, my work uses a transparent proxy as well and that seems to work fine.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    It is weird proxy shit. The X-Forwarded-For header has a pretty lax format when there are multiple IPs included, and we're struggling with some non standard formats from certain public WiFi providers. It's on my list.

• Options
    Cool, thanks.