As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How involved are you with the AC?

bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
Time for poll #2! Lurkers, regulars: what do you usually do in the AC? Try to pick what applies mostly to you, and that the selections are mostly in order from lowest to highest participation (sort of), aside from the chat thread whores.

Feel free to post other options if you feel any of these selections don't quite apply to you. Votes are always anonymous!

bombardier on

How involved are you with the AC? 115 votes

I lurk from the shadows, admiring artwork and quietly digesting critique posts.
34% 40 votes
I post the occasional comment here and there, but mostly let my eyeballs feast upon drawings.
20% 23 votes
I try to provide feedback and critique whenever possible but don't post any work.
1% 2 votes
I post doodles occasionally and partake in all of the above.
22% 26 votes
I periodically create a new thread to get feedback on a particular piece of artwork and may post in other threads.
6% 8 votes
I have my own thread that I update regularly but don't really look beyond that.
0% 1 vote
I have a thread that I update regularly and also participate in other threads.
9% 11 votes
I'm only here for the chat thread! (I'm looking at you, @MagicToaster)
3% 4 votes

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    This poll has a drawing bias. What about everything else? :P

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Did you guys hear something?

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Alright, assume artwork = photos or whatever else sometimes falls under the AC.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    bombardier wrote: »

Hey bombs. You wanna hear a joke?

ARTISTS WHO DON'T DRAW!

HAHAHHAHA

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    I'm somewhere between 4 & 5. I try to participate in challenges/events when I have the time (a bit more than doodles, I guess), but I don't upkeep my own thread.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Is there an option for 'life has taken a big shit on my head recently but normally I'm much more active'

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I voted for 4 but I don't really do the above 3

• squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    4th option describes me perfectly. I'm too scared to open a personal thread.

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I chose the second to last, although I don't update my own thread that often.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular

ARTISTS WHO DON'T DRAW!

HAHAHHAHA
    HAHAHAHA
    Photographers: putting the 'tits' in 'artist'

• mulinjohemulinjohe Registered User regular
    I'm too scared to open a personal thread. a129.jpgk2.jpg

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »

ARTISTS WHO DON'T DRAW!

HAHAHHAHA
    HAHAHAHA

HAHAH-

Wait what?

Someone go post something in the damn photo thread before I get stabby.

:cry:

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »

ARTISTS WHO DON'T DRAW!

HAHAHHAHA
    HAHAHAHA

HAHAH-

Wait what?
    As in "bugger all"... I'm no good with English.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I feel that the last option was meant for me.

• AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    Slowly working my way up to posting a thread

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I uh, should someday post a thread but a significant portion of the stuff I work on is under NDA, and the stuff that isn't is mostly garbage

whoops.jpg

I went with option 3 because it's the closest thing to what I do around here

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I mostly lurk here. I do have my own thread but it's been badly neglected ever since I started it.

I would give criticism to others but I don't really feel qualified to as I am such a novice myself. But I try and absorb and learn from the criticism I see other people getting.

I should post more pictures and take part in the challenges but this place is quite intimidating.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I have a thread that I haven't updated in a very long time. I still draw, and I post in the chat thread periodically, but I don't really do the event threads and I don't offer critique much if at all anymore. I want to be more active!

• Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    This was the first forum my brother (The_Rat) ever posted on, back before I even joined. I thought that AC was the ONLY forum, at that point, as it was all I ever saw him browse. Ever since then I've constantly lurked, thrown a few comments in, really come to admire quite a few artists, and even improved my own art skills by watching all you for over 9 years!

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I used to post more doodles but someone made a comment to me once about not posting any finished stuff, which I rarely take the time to do, and thus I don't post as often.

I just feel bad posting only doodles with no real purpose besides saying, "look, I'm still drawing and stuff, even though it has no real purpose."

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited January 2013
    Siegfried wrote: »
    I used to post more doodles but someone made a comment to me once about not posting any finished stuff, which I rarely take the time to do, and thus I don't post as often.

I just feel bad posting only doodles with no real purpose besides saying, "look, I'm still drawing and stuff, even though it has no real purpose."

That kind of comment you got seems silly. The only reason I could see for not posting non-finished works was if you were trying to keep some sort of online presence of awesomeness and only wanted to show finished works. (The way photographers who are trying to sell themselves never post unprocessed photos.) If you aren't concerned about anything like that I see no problem with posting doodles as long as you are taking critiques with grace and are attempting to improve.

P.S. The rest of you should pick up wood working and metal working and post in my thread about it. :P
    Anyone here do glass blowing?

CommunistCow on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @Siegfried
    I feel like anyone who said that was probably trying to push you forward, its cool if you don't have the time. Post doodles! We have plenty of people who only post polished work once in a blue moon.

CC, I wish. If MICA had a night class for it, I would consider it, but that's the one thing they don't do.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I update my own thread and lurk in other people's. I massively value the support, help and encouragement I've had from people in AC, who are stunningly creative and talented! I know the comments I've had from you have helped me improve what I do, and at times, you've absolutely bowled me over with your open-hearted generosity, so thank you!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I am mos def a lurker with a posting problem. It is rare if I haven't read every thread on the front page, but I usually only post in other threads if they are getting ignored or if I think I can really add something that is going unsaid. Striving to update my thread more often...

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that feels guilty updating their own thread? Sometimes I feel bad asking other people to look at my work and take the time to critique it. In the challenge threads, I think "here's the artwork you asked for!" But when it comes to the other threads it's different for me for some reason. D:

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    I feel guilty when I post like three or four times in my own thread with no one commenting in between, only to see it it bumped off the front page in like one day. I used to get all neurotic about it but @Iruka kind of hit the nail on the head for me, to paraphrase: people are only gonna comment if you are trying hard enough to struggle.

• mullymully Registered User regular
    TIL i am a lurker

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    im less involved now because i just use bookmarks

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    A thread, holy fucking christ, maybe another day.
    But my mouse drags me here every couple of days. Lurkin and learnin since 2006! Though maybe this year I will request some advice from all the great artists on here.

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    I don't really show up here too often anymore. But I guess option 4 most accurately describes me.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'll go through phases of updating my thread when I have free time, then do nothing for months on end during semester, so I bounce between the second and the second-to-last.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I don't post in my own thread because I tend to look at things i have finished that could potentially be critted and think "I already know what is wrong about this that I could potentially correct and I'd rather deal with that before people give me more things to fix."

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I voted 1, but since I'm going back to school this year to become a professional artist and relearn how to draw (I used to draw all day every day when I was younger but life got too busy with uni, work, etc to keep up with it consistently after high school), I'll probably be coming in here more this year to share my work and seek forumer wisdom.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Yeah CC, I'd pick it up if I had somewhere to do it as well. Always wanted to work with metal.

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    I could be way more active. I look through a lot of threads but rarely post feedback *cracks whip*, and often just post my own stuff.

I'll try be more giving since you guys have given me a lot.

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I got way more productive when I stopped browsing forums and spending so much time on social media. It's hard to balance. :rotate:

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I will go through phases of posting stuff if im working on things, but other than that i feel like i cant comment on things well enough to bother,
    other than that I's here for the eye candy

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I have a thread I update occasionally- and every so often I wander into other threads and post some comments/critiques. But the chat thread is my biggest hangout.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    i really miss posting here, i havent been drawing at all for the past couple years because DEPRESSION and it only gets worse whenever I try to draw again because the gap between what my mind's eye can draw and what my hands can put down has grown so much. I've been half studying from National Geographics though and steadily getting back on my feat, and soon I hope to post here all the time again!