As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Terrorblot 2013 [Art Dump]

ChippsChipps Registered User regular
Hey gents, long time lurker finally looking for some C&C on some of my work from this year. I'd love a critique on everything but I just finished up the first image and would love to hear your thoughts.
82DTS.jpg
tab2m.jpg
t4hIN.jpg
lro7d.jpg
2DX7Y.jpg
jBNNt.jpg

• Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Love your style!

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm seriously digging the inkless style you've got going on. Do you start out with an ink layer and just remove it later on or work with shapes?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    I'm seriously digging the inkless style you've got going on. Do you start out with an ink layer and just remove it later on or work with shapes?

Thanks for the compliment! With the exception of the Moon Dogs image I was working directly from a reference photo, so there's no underdrawing or ink layer. With the moon dogs cover I'm doing the same thing but with an underdrawing rather than a photograph: building shapes over the image with the polygonnal lasso tool.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    What's your process like for these? Are you overlaying the shapes directly on top of the photographs?

• Options
    Grifter wrote: »
    What's your process like for these? Are you overlaying the shapes directly on top of the photographs?

I am. Is that unethical?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    From an artistic standpoint, you are fine in my opinion. You clearly have some good color sense and an understanding of shading and simplifying. Plenty of designers have this sort of process, but drawing yourself will give your more flexibility when you don't have a photo that's exactly what you want. However, from a legal standpoint make sure you took the photo yourself, or make sure your work isn't 80-100% derivative of a single photograph. Photographers are artists too, so unless you have permission, doing an illustration for any sort of gain that is completely derived from a photo is not so great.

I like the work here, though.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    I'd say that you'll probably get a lot of flack from people for tracing. Looking at a thread that you previously posted back in 2010, I think you have a lot of artistic merit and these images aren't bad. However, you might encounter some Illustrator artists who don't think that this kind of work is really art. However, the definition of art is rather loose and I don't think this is really the time nor the place for that conversation.

As Iruka said, make sure that you give credit to any original photographs that don't belong to you. Also, make sure that people know that you are laying these shapes directly on top of photographs. If you don't then people may become agitated/angry with you. I think we all know how things can work on the internet.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Grifter wrote: »
    I'd say that you'll probably get a lot of flack from people for tracing. Looking at a thread that you previously posted back in 2010, I think you have a lot of artistic merit and these images aren't bad. However, you might encounter some Illustrator artists who don't think that this kind of work is really art. However, the definition of art is rather loose and I don't think this is really the time nor the place for that conversation.

As Iruka said, make sure that you give credit to any original photographs that don't belong to you. Also, make sure that people know that you are laying these shapes directly on top of photographs. If you don't then people may become agitated/angry with you. I think we all know how things can work on the internet.

This sounds like sound advice, I'll be more upfront in the future. Here's some watercolor paintings that are also from reference but don't involve said technique (please forgive less than ideal image quality):

jpsxzPzEWfYPP.JPG
    jMz9RMJQ2a5da.JPG
    jb0o49H33iLJgX.JPG
    jbw0jkWoJUS80O.JPG
    These were guests at my sister's wedding.

Some figure drawings:
    jbfOyFbIB2mQ58.JPG
    jbl68P9jjxnZB6.JPG
    j8gArSQ8H5bze.JPG
    The first is a more genuine attempt at figuring out the anatomy, the other two I kind of think of as more expressionist.

Chipps on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Another quick update:
    jJcamcrngi68n.jpg
    tumblr_m2yicyBIVw1qetvxlo3_1280.jpg
    jb2wap4WYcjURq.psd
    jSoT44PtK37lc.jpg
    I ended up redoing this one:
    jCWaFIdqn5Kn9.jpg
    jvdEwOIETZBsn.jpg
    jPSOZaXp7oQCA.jpg
    shame this one is on crummy paper.
    jGCS35g6Buwt2.jpg

Chipps on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Even though they are essentially overlayed, I can tell your skill goes beyond that by the way you chose to block off areas while using the solid colours of vectoring. The watercolour portraits confirmed that thought!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Chipps wrote: »
    Another quick update:
    jJcamcrngi68n.jpg

I love this one. It's like a painting of an animated sitcom. The color/shading around the chin really makes it stand out to me.

edit: also I kind of look like that so yeah...

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    HalenHalen Registered User regular
    You do something unique with your portraits. Overlay all you like.

Draw an egg.
  • Options
    b_albsb_albs Registered User regular
    I really like the facial expressions on a lot of these, particularly on the paintings. 'Bed Head' is my favorite. The digital stuff is very clean and controlled, but I think it lacks some of the heart that the paintings have. There's a stylistic exaggeration to a lot of your pieces that I find very appealing, and it doesn't come through in your digital work.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Something I'm working on for class:
    U98WoTd.jpg

Chipps on
  • Options
    First stab at light animation:
    qYNKGQF.gif

• Options