As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The State Of Pennsylvania Vs. The NCAA] - I'm Rooting For Team Meteor

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
So, in what has to be one of the most blatantly ass-covering moves ever, the odious governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, has filed a lawsuit seeking to enjoin the NCAA from enforcing the sanctions levelled against Penn State University. Even more frustrating is that the case actually makes a handful of good points, yet is a blatant attempt at ass covering, especially considering that the incoming state attorney general won the election in part on a platform of investigating Corbett's conduct with regard to Penn State. This is definitely a situation where you can't blame anyone for rooting for Team Meteor.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So, in what has to be one of the most blatantly ass-covering moves ever, the odious governor of Pennsylvania, Tom Corbett, has filed a lawsuit seeking to enjoin the NCAA from enforcing the sanctions levelled against Penn State University. Even more frustrating is that the case actually makes a handful of good points, yet is a blatant attempt at ass covering, especially considering that the incoming state attorney general won the election in part on a platform of investigating Corbett's conduct with regard to Penn State. This is definitely a situation where you can't blame anyone for rooting for Team Meteor.

As someone who thought the penalties were bullshit and completely outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA, even I'm torn on this because I honestly probably hate Corbett more than I hate the NCAA at this point. Between him allowing the 2nd Mile to get away scott fucking free without so much as an investigation into them, while having taken sizable campaign donations from them during his run to Governor, his comments after the Freeh report came out versus now, and his actually passing the voter suppression bullshit....UGH.

Half of me wants this case to tank just so it destroys his re-election chances with it.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »

As someone who thought the penalties were bullshit and completely outside the jurisdiction of the NCAA, even I'm torn on this because I honestly probably hate Corbett more than I hate the NCAA at this point. Between him allowing the 2nd Mile to get away scott fucking free without so much as an investigation into them, while having taken sizable campaign donations from them during his run to Governor, his comments after the Freeh report came out versus now, and his actually passing the voter suppression bullshit....UGH.

Half of me wants this case to tank just so it destroys his re-election chances with it.

There's a lot of politics here. Corbett had a bad 2012, furthermore, the incoming AG won election on an "investigate Corbett" platform. Attacking the NCAA helps shore up support from the PSU low-info community.

• Options
    And if you are curious, here's the NCAA's response.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Is Team Meteor when a giant meteor destroys most of Pennsylvania?

• Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

Oh NCAA. Keep digging your hole.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Ideally you get the PSU leadership and the Governor in a room to negotiate a settlement and a smaller meteor takes out the room.

You only need the big ones for the national title game.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Anything west of Philly is fair game IMO. I loved my time in State College, but the surrounding areas are called Pennsyltucky for damn good reason.

Ideally you get the PSU leadership and the Governor in a room to negotiate a settlement and a smaller meteor takes out the room.

This is entirely acceptable to me.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Anything west of Philly is fair game IMO. I loved my time in State College, but the surrounding areas are called Pennsyltucky for damn good reason.

This is entirely acceptable to me.

As a resident of Philadelphia, I won't miss anything west until you hit Pittsburgh. If you take out most of Pennsyltucky then I won't have to worry about the gerrymandered congressional districts anymore as well. Win/Win.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

And I'd argue that Victim #4 doesn't understand how that community contributed to what happened to him.

• Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

And I'd argue that Victim #4 doesn't understand how that community contributed to what happened to him.

Ah, so now the victims themselves "don't get it".

• Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

You have heard of the term" Stockholm syndrome ", right? Just because he's a victim doesn't magically make him infallible.

Also, way to drop the ball, Wetzel. You completely ignored the political aspect of the case.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Victim 4 disagrees.

What gives the victim special insight into any of this?

Being raped doesn't give him super-intellect or anything.

shryke on
  • Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

You have heard of the term" Stockholm syndrome ", right? Just because he's a victim doesn't magically make him infallible.

Also, way to drop the ball, Wetzel. You completely ignored the political aspect of the case.

A LOT of sports journalists/bloggers outright ban political discussion from their sites.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Victim 4 disagrees.

Yes? It does? When the NCAA says "think of what the victims want" and one of the victims says "Uh, I didn't want Penn State punished, and by the way you guys never even bothered to contact us" I would say that gives him some insight into this.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Victim 4 disagrees.

Yes? It does? When the NCAA says "think of what the victims want" and one of the victims says "Uh, I didn't want Penn State punished, and by the way you guys never even bothered to contact us" I would say that gives him some insight into this.

It's not just about "what the victims want" though. It's about "what punishment needs to happen so this doesn't occur again". The victims opinion here is not the deciding factor or anywhere close to it.

Also, victimS. He's only number 4. Don't pretend he speaks for all of them.

Just cause he got raped don't mean he's the final arbiter on what the NCAA should do. Not even close.

shryke on
  • Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

A LOT of sports journalists/bloggers outright ban political discussion from their sites.

Usually, that works, but this is the rare exception. Politics is at the very heart of the case.

• Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

Usually, that works, but this is the rare exception. Politics is at the very heart of the case.

I agree, but there's a lot of hesitancy to address it in the sports media. Especially with a sport that's very popular among white Southerners and some of your more liberal college towns.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

Victim 4 disagrees.

I don't know, Sandusky's horrible acts aside, I fail to see how the victim's opinion over NCAA sanctions has much to do with what this lawsuit is contending, because it's just that, opinion. The NCAA certainly shouldn't be speaking for victims yes, but nor should victims be the final say in what authority the NCAA has to hand down sanctions.

• Options

Victim 4 disagrees.

I agree, but there's a lot of hesitancy to address it in the sports media. Especially with a sport that's very popular among white Southerners and some of your more liberal college towns.

Well, in this case, they need to get over it. Corbett is trying to CYA here before the new AG gets in.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    I don't know, Sandusky's horrible acts aside, I fail to see how the victim's opinion over NCAA sanctions has much to do with what this lawsuit is contending, because it's just that, opinion. The NCAA certainly shouldn't be speaking for victims yes, but nor should victims be the final say in what authority the NCAA has to hand down sanctions.

This was basically the NCAA's reasoning for handing down sanctions. It was political grandstanding by them using public outrage on the victims behalf to justify their actions, because under no rules or guidelines does this fall within their regular jurisdiction. In fact, they specifically disregarded their own guidelines for investigation and punishment in this case.

I guess my biggest issue with this, having worked with the Special Olympics, and THON (thankfully/sadly never with The 2nd Mile) in PA and State College specifically, there are hundreds and thousands of people in the community that go out of their way every year to help underprivileged kids in need one way or the other. I find it personally insulting that people consider all the good work they do as a form of fucking prisoner taking for PSU football. It is perfectly rational for a now grown man to realize that a half dozen people do not define the attitudes and goals of an entire University and community put together, and to acknowledge the other support and love he received from people other than Sandusky while he was around the football program. None of those people abused him, and their support and feelings towards those kids were genuine. Unless of course it's considered Stockholm syndrome for a person to still love his mother and siblings and neighbors if he had an abusive father growing up.

• Options

This was basically the NCAA's reasoning for handing down sanctions. It was political grandstanding by them using public outrage on the victims behalf to justify their actions, because under no rules or guidelines does this fall within their regular jurisdiction. In fact, they specifically disregarded their own guidelines for investigation and punishment in this case.

I guess my biggest issue with this, having worked with the Special Olympics, and THON (thankfully/sadly never with The 2nd Mile) in PA and State College specifically, there are hundreds and thousands of people in the community that go out of their way every year to help underprivileged kids in need one way or the other. I find it personally insulting that people consider all the good work they do as a form of fucking prisoner taking for PSU football. It is perfectly rational for a now grown man to realize that a half dozen people do not define the attitudes and goals of an entire University and community put together, and to acknowledge the other support and love he received from people other than Sandusky while he was around the football program. None of those people abused him, and their support and feelings towards those kids were genuine. Unless of course it's considered Stockholm syndrome for a person to still love his mother and siblings and neighbors if he had an abusive father growing up.

And yet they turned a blind eye to what was happening.

• Options
    They didn't abuse him directly. They just, you know, created the culture that let it happen and helped to hide it. I mean, this very thread is about Corbett potentially trying to suppress the investigation over ties to the people responsible for letting the abuse happen. This whole thing is one big mess of involvement on multiple levels.

• Options

Who the fuck is "they"? Are you actually claiming I knew about this shit and didn't care at the time?

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    They didn't abuse him directly. They just, you know, created the culture that let it happen and helped to hide it. I mean, this very thread is about Corbett potentially trying to suppress the investigation over ties to the people responsible for letting the abuse happen. This whole thing is one big mess of involvement on multiple levels.

It's the same argument that everyone trotted out when the original case broke, and I still don't buy it. This is not a case of institutional failure. Institutional failure is when almost everyone involved has some idea of what is going on, and chooses to ignore it. Shit you don't even have to leave football to see real institutional failure. Football is way more dangerous than it needs to be. Anyone that follows it at all knows how bad it is for players health. Yet we continue to watch highlight clips of dudes getting knocked out. That's institutional failure. A handful of dudes covering their asses by sweeping a sex scandal under the rug is not.

The community as a whole (for this particular incident) had 0 indication that something like that may be happening, were justifiable outraged to learn it was happening, and demanded action (albeit a more measured long term action, rather than a knee jerk mass firing). I'm not really sure what else they could have done besides liking football less, which seems to be what this kind of an argument is calling for.

Edit - I forgot to add, but from my cursory reading of the articles, Corbett is not trying to suppress any investigation. In fact, he would probably be a lot happier had the NCAA done a much more thorough and careful investigation in the first place. The law suit is all about whether or not the NCAA has any business conducting a criminal investigation, and handing out penalties associated with their findings. Maybe you think they should, Corbett is alleging that they shouldn't. Just because he is doing so to cover his own ass, doesn't mean that his point isn't valid.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options

The NCAA suit is not going through the AGs office. The suit is definitely a PR move to sway opinion, but it shouldn't effect the internal investigation or prevent it from happening.

• Options
    Jebus314 wrote: »

It's the same argument that everyone trotted out when the original case broke, and I still don't buy it. This is not a case of institutional failure. Institutional failure is when almost everyone involved has some idea of what is going on, and chooses to ignore it. Shit you don't even have to leave football to see real institutional failure. Football is way more dangerous than it needs to be. Anyone that follows it at all knows how bad it is for players health. Yet we continue to watch highlight clips of dudes getting knocked out. That's institutional failure. A handful of dudes covering their asses by sweeping a sex scandal under the rug is not.

The community as a whole (for this particular incident) had 0 indication that something like that may be happening, were justifiable outraged to learn it was happening, and demanded action (albeit a more measured long term action, rather than a knee jerk mass firing). I'm not really sure what else they could have done besides liking football less, which seems to be what this kind of an argument is calling for.

They had zero indication because they created a system that prevented them from getting that indication. There's a reason that PSU is facing Cleary Act investigations.

• Options

The NCAA suit is not going through the AGs office. The suit is definitely a PR move to sway opinion, but it shouldn't effect the internal investigation or prevent it from happening.

You honestly don't think any investigation of Corbett is going to be framed as an attack on his "brave stand against the NCAA"?

• Options
    Corbett is or seems to be involved, that's the whole point of the thread. From the link in the OP.
    Corbett has been accused of slow-walking the Sandusky investigation while he was attorney general. And in his 2010 gubernatorial campaign, he took in a boatload of campaign money from people connected to The Second Mile, Sandusky's former charity. Pennsylvania's new attorney general, Kathleen Kane, was elected in part because she promised to investigate Corbett's handling of the Sandusky inquiry. It certainly looks like Corbett is trying to save face, especially by filing the case before Kane is sworn in in the coming weeks. He also has a re-election bid to worry about in 2014.

The bolded is an important example of what people are talking about.

This right here? This is "institutional failure" or whatever word you want to use.

• Options

Who the fuck is "they"? Are you actually claiming I knew about this shit and didn't care at the time?

More that the PSU community built a system of plausible denial.

• Options
    I think you over estimate how much PA residents like Corbett. He can frame this however he wants, he will still be investigated. Most people I know would happily see him burn along with the NCAA, and those that wouldn't liked him before the scandal.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I mean, an assistant coach walked in on Sandusky having sex with an underage minor in the showers, and instead of calling the cops, he went to Paterno for guidance. And this doesn't seem like an isolated thing in student athletics, the Stuebenville scandal has all the same trappings of what went on at Penn State.

That said, the Deadspin article does make some good points about why the NCAA was arguably wrong in handing out fines and punishment on nebulous charges. Though you could also make the argument given the horrible nature of the allegations combined with the fact multiple high ranking people in the school and football program knew about this, they also arguably had no choice but to hand out such harsh fines.

Dark_Side on
  • Options

They had zero indication because they created a system that prevented them from getting that indication. There's a reason that PSU is facing Cleary Act investigations.

You keep saying that, but it still isn't true. The community did not get together and decide that Paterno (or the AD) was the judge/jury for criminal cases involving any football staff. They simply liked him a lot, which gave him some leverage with his colleagues. This still isn't institutional failure. There is nothing the community could have done different in this case. The key point for me, is that at no point did anyone give any indication that criminal behavior was ok as long as Paterno kept winning games. If the media had come out with a bunch of allegations of criminal activity, and it failed to be a big story because no one cared about anything besides winning? That would be institutional failure.

• Options
    Corbett is or seems to be involved, that's the whole point of the thread. From the link in the OP.
    Corbett has been accused of slow-walking the Sandusky investigation while he was attorney general. And in his 2010 gubernatorial campaign, he took in a boatload of campaign money from people connected to The Second Mile, Sandusky's former charity. Pennsylvania's new attorney general, Kathleen Kane, was elected in part because she promised to investigate Corbett's handling of the Sandusky inquiry. It certainly looks like Corbett is trying to save face, especially by filing the case before Kane is sworn in in the coming weeks. He also has a re-election bid to worry about in 2014.

This right here? This is "institutional failure" or whatever word you want to use.

I disagree completely. That is a single dude covering his ass illegally. How can you possibly blame the community for the AG being a sellout? Did he run on a campaign that said "I put football first, and crime second"?

• Options

I mean, an assistant coach walked in on Sandusky having sex with an underage minor in the showers, and instead of calling the cops, he went to Paterno for guidance. And this doesn't seem like an isolated thing in student athletics, the Stuebenville scandal has all the same trappings of what went on at Penn State.

That said, the Deadspin article does make some good points about why the NCAA was arguably wrong in handing out fines and punishment on nebulous charges. Though you could also make the argument given the horrible nature of the allegations combined with the fact multiple high ranking people in the school and football program knew about this, they also arguably had no choice but to hand out such harsh fines.

I don't see a problem with the bolded part. Most people are afraid to escalate things to far, to fast. Now before you go apeshit on my response, I agree that it's a damn travesty that he didn't follow up and make sure the cops got involved. If this happened to me I would probably have gone to whoever was in charge first as well. I just would have insisted that we get the cops involved immediately.

• Options

I disagree completely. That is a single dude covering his ass illegally. How can you possibly blame the community for the AG being a sellout? Did he run on a campaign that said "I put football first, and crime second"?

You really think that Corbett acted independently? It's funny how, whenever the shit hits the fan, there are suddenly a lot of "rogue actors" about.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    In what possible universe, do the (in)actions of a football graduate assistant, the head football coach, and the athletic director of a college, in response to crimes that occurred on campus, in athletic facilities, by the defensive coordinator, not warrant action by the National Collegiate Athletic Association....

The NCAA doing something about this makes a hell of a lot more sense than their ability to punish for players receiving gifts from private individuals not employed by the school.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sports-apologism reaching a new level. I am sad to see that some people are in favor of this lawsuit, but that's all I can say. I'm disappointed in people. This whole thing wasn't just about the crimes committed against children. It was about the culture around sports in America, a culture that aims to protect people no matter what just because they are good at some inconsequential sport event.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

I don't see a problem with the bolded part. Most people are afraid to escalate things to far, to fast. Now before you go apeshit on my response, I agree that it's a damn travesty that he didn't follow up and make sure the cops got involved. If this happened to me I would probably have gone to whoever was in charge first as well. I just would have insisted that we get the cops involved immediately.

He walked in on a man raping a child.

And he told his boss, who did nothing.

And you don't see a problem with that.

• Options

You keep saying that, but it still isn't true. The community did not get together and decide that Paterno (or the AD) was the judge/jury for criminal cases involving any football staff. They simply liked him a lot, which gave him some leverage with his colleagues. This still isn't institutional failure. There is nothing the community could have done different in this case. The key point for me, is that at no point did anyone give any indication that criminal behavior was ok as long as Paterno kept winning games. If the media had come out with a bunch of allegations of criminal activity, and it failed to be a big story because no one cared about anything besides winning? That would be institutional failure.

Except that your community did do exactly that, with the Paterno / Triponey incident. But that was okay, because she was clearly a bad person.

• Options
    edited January 2013

You really think that Corbett acted independently? It's funny how, whenever the shit hits the fan, there are suddenly a lot of "rogue actors" about.

I think there was a small group of people who fucked up royally. I also think it has nothing to do with the PSU community being really into football. No one in the community should feel bad for being really into football. The moment you can show me that the community failed to give a shit about criminal activity because of their fandom, then I will agree that the problem is the "football culture" or whatever. Until then, you have some crooked ass people in high up places, and that is all. That shit needs to be taken care of, ideally by the justice system, not by the NCAA.

Jebus314 on