As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deep Space [chat]

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    whatcha shoppin for skips

i need a loveseat and maybe an ottoman

but i am cheap and want to buy used

but all the used stuff sucks

what's your budget

like $300?

hmmm that's gonna be a bit hard to do bro

used!

for both? and something not cruddy or gross?

yeah.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    my parents have an amazing leather sectional

patricide y/n

skippydumptruck on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So I've talked about this recently but now we're to the point where it's going to really fuck us up so I'm asking about the feasibility/wording of asking a question that probably shouldn't be asked in a tactful society. My wife has a potential job offer, but she doesn't know for sure if they are going to offer her the job or not.

She had to register for school today. She has until..tomorrow for a 100% refund. The 14th for a 75% refund.

Is there any way at all to tactfully ask a potential future employer if they plan on extending you an offer because you are starting school and need to know something, or is there just no good way to do this?

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    NAQPk.jpg

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    220px-Overlord_%281990%29_Coverart.png

uOU91.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    i wish i lived in 1980 when anyone could be a graphic designer

shoe in for the megaman job

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    oh huh, the Euro covers
    tumblr_m47wa2JrXz1rnxe6ho1_r1_500.jpg

mega_man2_box_eu.jpg

rRwz9.gif
    Ludious wrote: »
    So I've talked about this recently but now we're to the point where it's going to really fuck us up so I'm asking about the feasibility/wording of asking a question that probably shouldn't be asked in a tactful society. My wife has a potential job offer, but she doesn't know for sure if they are going to offer her the job or not.

She had to register for school today. She has until..tomorrow for a 100% refund. The 14th for a 75% refund.

Is there any way at all to tactfully ask a potential future employer if they plan on extending you an offer because you are starting school and need to know something, or is there just no good way to do this?

I think it would be okay for her to call and request a more certain answer tomorrow. I guess it depends on the employer. But I feel like most reasonable offices would either say "oh, okay we can tell you now" or "no we won't be able to tell you until X date"

Will she know for certain by the 14th?

It might be worth that 15% to just wait.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    That moment after you remove a speck from your eye and replace it with a chili pepper seed

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    These games with these Steve Purcell covers arrived in the mail from Telltale the other day:

yCG0F.jpg?1hdDwH.jpg?12Jc3u.png?1

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    internet was out all day

apparently the landline too

I didn't notice the latter for about 7 hours because I kinda forgot we had a landline

http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3507221258.html

i would buy this if it wasnt sagging

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    There is no good way to do it. Probably the best way is to tell them that she needs to make a decision between that job ans committing herself elsewhere, but would really like to work there.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

weight the question so that the person answering it has their ass covered if they extend the offer on the spot, rather than cancelling the offer altogether

aRkpc.gif

patricide y/n

why do you want used? Just budget issues?

or is it time to invest in something nice :)

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I think it would be okay for her to call and request a more certain answer tomorrow. I guess it depends on the employer. But I feel like most reasonable offices would either say "oh, okay we can tell you now" or "no we won't be able to tell you until X date"

It's the federal government. Hiring authority makes the selection and then HQ HR extends the offer. Rules wise, I don't know if they can unofficially tell you or not. I know things are a lot different than when I was hired 7 years ago. I was hired under a special hiring authority that made things easier and more transparent.

Will she know for certain by the 14th? Who fucking knows? It's the government. She could not hear anything for 4 months, assume she didn't get the job, and then be offered a supervisor's position because everyone's mad here, alice.

I mean like that's about the best you can do for leather probs

there is a microfiber set on there for $150

patricide y/n

if i buy nice furniture i have to move it and it gets banged up and i move a lot

if i buy used furniture i can sell it when i move

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The box art for Euro Mega Man (the first game) kicks the shit out of any of the American box art designs.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    http://jezebel.com/5972891/which-famous-chef-farted-on-all-37-of-his-employees
    Which Famous Chef Farted on All 37 of his Employees?
    lets get back to the first fart, the maiden fart, the perfect fart.

It was hot as hell in the kitchen that night, sometimes I like to turn off the air conditioning to give my staff a bit of a stir, it makes their blood flow, their tempers flash, but for some reason, their discomfort turns out better quality food.

So with all the air off, there is no air flow in our downstairs kitchen, and its small and cramped and really really fucking hot, even in january.

We have our plates in the warmer under our pass, so i was helping my hot apps guy plate a new fungi misti when it happened.

He had the pan in his right hand, and we both reached to bend over to get the hot plate, i got there first, so he inhaled the entire hot air load that i let roar out of my pants.

It was bold, loud, and completely unapologetic.

I must know who this is

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage

patricide y/n

if i buy nice furniture i have to move it and it gets banged up and i move a lot

if i buy used furniture i can sell it when i move

well I just think you're not gonna be able to get good usd for $300

and you would rather buy, sell, rebuy something used and therefore a little banged up than live with new furniture that gets a little damaged in moving process?

get better movers :D

I mean like that's about the best you can do for leather probs

there is a microfiber set on there for $150

http://austin.craigslist.org/fuo/3482556341.html

this doesnt match my current couch in style though :(

ronya wrote: »

weight the question so that the person answering it has their ass covered if they extend the offer on the spot, rather than cancelling the offer altogether

That, my friend, is the million dollar question. How do you weight a question that says "I'd rather work for you, but I'm going to school if you don't hire me, but school has a deadline and you haven't seen fit to let me know either way."

oh yeah aaron franklin is a judge on this BBQ show!

@spool32

What chef runs an abusive environment is a better question

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    http://jezebel.com/5972891/which-famous-chef-farted-on-all-37-of-his-employees
    Which Famous Chef Farted on All 37 of his Employees?
    lets get back to the first fart, the maiden fart, the perfect fart.

It was hot as hell in the kitchen that night, sometimes I like to turn off the air conditioning to give my staff a bit of a stir, it makes their blood flow, their tempers flash, but for some reason, their discomfort turns out better quality food.

So with all the air off, there is no air flow in our downstairs kitchen, and its small and cramped and really really fucking hot, even in january.

We have our plates in the warmer under our pass, so i was helping my hot apps guy plate a new fungi misti when it happened.

He had the pan in his right hand, and we both reached to bend over to get the hot plate, i got there first, so he inhaled the entire hot air load that i let roar out of my pants.

It was bold, loud, and completely unapologetic.

I must know who this is

Gordon Ramsay.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I can not handle watching embarrassingly awkward situations on tv. Oh god this is uncomfortable to see.

PSN: Honkalot
    a lot of times i am the movers :(

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I can not handle watching embarrassingly awkward situations on tv. Oh god this is uncomfortable to see.

My solution is to turn the volume down and read the subtitles

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

That, my friend, is the million dollar question. How do you weight a question that says "I'd rather work for you, but I'm going to school if you don't hire me, but school has a deadline and you haven't seen fit to let me know either way."

how big is the firm

subtly hint that someone else wants you employed

aRkpc.gif

It's the federal government. Hiring authority makes the selection and then HQ HR extends the offer. Rules wise, I don't know if they can unofficially tell you or not. I know things are a lot different than when I was hired 7 years ago. I was hired under a special hiring authority that made things easier and more transparent.

Will she know for certain by the 14th? Who fucking knows? It's the government. She could not hear anything for 4 months, assume she didn't get the job, and then be offered a supervisor's position because everyone's mad here, alice.

call and ask, either they will tell you or they won't. I guess go from there. I guess I would pose it like "I was wondering if you could tell me whether you could tell me what your decision is or not" or something dumb like that.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    hey guys.

My watch is still a-maze-ing.

(It's this one:
    dpxd0.jpg)

(It's a pun)

(Because my watch looks like a maze)

(it's great)

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

When I was dealing with a job offer situation that had a deadline, I called them up and just told them that this is the deadline for them to offer me the job, as past that time I will no longer be available.

I see nothing wrong with that, as long as you explain your situation and express interest in the job.

Otherwise, go for studying. If they get back to you within the 85% refund time, then you can decide then.

Unless there's other costs with deciding to go ahead with the studies before the 85% deadline?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    tell them you have another offer on the table but youd rather have job at place A and want to see if they have a timeline on their decision

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »

My solution is to turn the volume down and read the subtitles

Good idea but no subs now. This whole segment has gone on for like 10 minutes.

I DO NOT FEEL GOOD SEEING THIS!

PSN: Honkalot
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    21st: frown

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Prometheus cosplay

is

hot
    tumblr_mbv8qwPaOa1rcksbno1_1280.jpg

Questions will be answered...

sexily...

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if nicki minaj doesnt call her 3rd album minaj a trois she has failed

obF2Wuw.png
    21st: frown

Why are you so frowny, Sotar?

This discussion has been closed.