As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

To Catch a Predator

123457»

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The whole cops have to tell you they are cops thing is a myth least ifthey're undercover
    I suspect it's a myth perpetuated by the police.

There are very few things a cop can't lie to you about, most of them having to do with what your rights are (though, that really, really doesn't stop them from doing it at all). If you're ever brought in for questioning, they will tell you absolutely anything they can think of to get you to incriminate yourself, whether it be true, half-true, or made up entirely.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Whether or not the police may lie goes hand in hand with the question of entrapment. It is well accepted by the courts that deception is often necessary to catch criminals. There is no question that police officers are allowed to directly mislead and/or deceive others about their identity, their law enforcement status, their history, and just about anything else, without breaking the law or compromising their case. Conversely, it is illegal for citizens to lie to the police during the course of an investigation.

Police officers working undercover have exceptions from certain criminal laws. Officers directly engaged in the enforcement of controlled substance laws are exempt from laws surrounding the purchase, possession, sales or use of illegal substances. This means that there's no way to identify an undercover officer based on their willingness or refusal to use an illegal drug.

The myth that undercover police must admit to being police if asked has roots in requirements that law enforcement identify themselves in some other situations. Most on-duty police are required to wear both a uniform and a uniquely numbered badge identifying themselves as police. However, undercover officers are exempt from this requirement. Police must generally identify themselves before executing a search warrant or arresting someone. Though it varies by jurisdiction, there are some situations in which off-duty police may be required to identify themselves, including if confronted by another police officer or before acting in their capacity as a police officer.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    loverockchildloverockchild Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If the man in the OP actually did have sex with a minor, or tried to solicit sex with a minor somehow, I'm glad he killed himself. I am a huge fan of this show. Sure it's duplicitous in some ways and it tries to cash in on catching pedophiles, but I think the ends completely justify the means. Children who get molested have a much greater chance of being fucked up when they get older. Ever watch the show Intervention on A&E? There's something almost every single drug addicted/sex addicted/anorexic/bulimic/suicidal person on that show has in common. Of course I'm not using a TV show as my sole justification for my opinion, It's just an example I can point to which you have probably heard of. If a person is willing to molest a child, any means of removing them from society are a great thing as a minimum. Honestly I think all convicted child molesters should be shot in the back of the head.

loverockchild on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If the man in the OP actually did have sex with a minor, or tried to solicit sex with a minor somehow, I'm glad he killed himself. I am a huge fan of this show. Sure it's duplicitous in some ways and it tries to cash in on catching pedophiles, but I think the ends completely justify the means. Children who get molested have a much greater chance of being fucked up when they get older. Ever watch the show Intervention on A&E? There's something almost every single drug addicted/sex addicted/anorexic/bulimic/suicidal person on that show has in common. Of course I'm not using a TV show as my sole justification for my opinion, It's just an example I can point to which you have probably heard of. If a person is willing to molest a child, any means of removing them from society are a great thing as a minimum. Honestly I think all convicted child molesters should be shot in the back of the head.
    Yes, let's make the penalty for the molestation of a child, and the molestation and murder of a child the same.

That's certainly every bit as well-thought-out as the rest of your post.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Pretty much. That's how I feel about it.

loverockchild on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the ends completely justify the means.

It always worries me when people start saying things like this. Particularly when regarding the Justice system, or law enforcement.

japan on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Your feelings are absurd.

Hachface on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I think the ends completely justify the means.

It always worries me when people start saying things like this. Particularly when regarding the Justice system, or law enforcement.

Usually its someone who's never been left twitching on the pointy end of our Judicial System.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Of course, there is a stage between arrest and execution where we make sure the people are guilty.

Also, if molesters come from molestation, isn't your hatred for molesters hatred for their victims? Always beware of safe hates, they're usually a too-easy path.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RainOPainRainOPain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I've only watched the show once, but from what I've read in this thread I'm gathering that a lot of the guys they trick are actually just lonely dudes who thought they were going to hook up with some hot 16/17 year old chick. Is that the same thing as child molestation? What do you think should happen to those guys?

RainOPain on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    RainOPain wrote: »

I've only watched the show once, but from what I've read in this thread I'm gathering that a lot of the guys they trick are actually just lonely dudes who thought they were going to hook up with some hot 16/17 year old chick. Is that the same thing as child molestation? What do you think should happen to those guys?

Lonley dudes can find a girlfriend their own age. A 16/17 year old is still considered a child most times in the eyes of the law, and usually the girls these dudes are going to hook up with say they're 12-14.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Maybe when you're older you'll understand.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    RedShellRedShell Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's a word for catching people who you think intend to do something but haven't actually done it: thought crime.

That's why we prosecute 'attempted murder' and not 'intended murder'. I'm not a fan of statutory rape laws in the first place, because I think they address a concern that is imaginary. Molestation can be tried using rape laws perfectly well. To Catch a Predator is an example of a mania of our time. We're going to feel kinda silly about the whole thing in about 20 years.

RedShell on
    Homing In Imperfectly?
    Pokemans D/P: 1289 4685 0522
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    RedShell wrote: »
    There's a word for catching people who you think intend to do something but haven't actually done it: thought crime.

That's why we prosecute 'attempted murder' and not 'intended murder'. I'm not a fan of statutory rape laws in the first place, because I think they address a concern that is imaginary. Molestation can be tried using rape laws perfectly well. To Catch a Predator is an example of a mania of our time. We're going to feel kinda silly about the whole thing in about 20 years.

Some of these guys actually have been previously been arrested for having sex with children. Physically too, not in a chat room or LARPing the latest Harry Potter fan fiction. As tasteless as the show may be, there are men out there who apparently won't hesitate to travel hours to have sex with little boys and girls. At least they're being partially responsible and providing the condoms though. I agree in some cases statutory rape laws doesn't work or are overzealous, like when a 17 year old dude has sex with his 17 year old girlfriend on the night before his 18th birthday. Say what you want about Perverted Justice and To Catch a Predator, but they've given us 11 communities where men not only think about their desires, but also act on them.

Edit: I do agree that people might be overprotective or too scared when it comes to their children because of the media, but this problem isn't imaginary, and we'll probably never know how bad it really is.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

Some of these guys actually have been previously been arrested for having sex with children. Physically too, not in a chat room or LARPing the latest Harry Potter fan fiction. As tasteless as the show may be, there are men out there who apparently won't hesitate to travel hours to have sex with little boys and girls. At least they're being partially responsible and providing the condoms though. I agree in some cases statutory rape laws doesn't work or are overzealous, like when a 17 year old dude has sex with his 17 year old girlfriend on the night before his 18th birthday. Say what you want about Perverted Justice and To Catch a Predator, but they've given us 11 communities where men not only think about their desires, but also act on them.

Edit: I do agree that people might be overprotective or too scared when it comes to their children because of the media, but this problem isn't imaginary, and we'll probably never know how bad it really is.
    Yes, because I'm sure there are 12-14 year old children all over this country who go into chat rooms, and invite strange people over to their house.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yes, because I'm sure there are 12-14 year old children all over this country who go into chat rooms, and invite strange people over to their house.
    Good. I'm glad we are in agreement, and no sarcasm is being generated. Although it's probably people they know, not random people on the webs.

Malkor on
  • Options
    DarkHawkeDarkHawke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have they ever done a parody with Predator, the alien from the Arnold Schwartzenneger film? It seems so obvious that it must have been done at some point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUHWKnRmEU

Not quite as good as I was hoping, but eh.

I'd put a bit more violence in there myself.

DarkHawke on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I really, really want to set them up with a sixteen year old who looks thirty.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Child molestation is also convincing little kids to have sex with you. Dumbass teenage girls aren't gonna have enough sense to not have sex with creepy guys from the internet because of their daddy issues or whatever reason. The kids don't know what's going on, but all the predators grasp the situation pretty well, except for the whole fault in morality thing. The creepy guys who wanna bang 16 and 17 year olds are the same in my book at the creepy guys who wanna bang real little kids. These guys are too worried about knockin' boots all the time and they don't realize or don't care that they might ruin someone's entire life because they couldn't have a little sense.

loverockchild on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Lonley dudes can find a girlfriend their own age. A 16/17 year old is still considered a child most times in the eyes of the law, and usually the girls these dudes are going to hook up with say they're 12-14.

in almost the entire rest of the world, it is totally legal to put your wang in a 16 year old.

Sad? I don't know. But true!

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I had this arguement with my girlfriend but she managed to bring up some bull shit article about "intent to buy drugs" being a law and rubbing it in my face.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Intent can only be proven if you had a lot of stuff like a bunch of baggies on you and things that obviously made it look like you were dealing.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The creepy guys who wanna bang 16 and 17 year olds are the same in my book at the creepy guys who wanna bang real little kids.
    But when they turn 18, they suddenly gain The Knowledge Of Maturity and become full-blown adults? Please. 18 is a pretty arbitrary number (as seen by its varition both through history and abroad) that has zero to do with real maturity (and everything to do with making the courts' job easier), and sticking someone who fucks a 17 year-old into the same group as someone who fucks a 7 year-old is just sticking fingers in your ears and going "lalala I don't want to deal with complex issues".

Glal on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

in almost the entire rest of the world, it is totally legal to put your wang in a 16 year old.

In other parts of the world I can stone my wife for comitting adultry. Stone her cheating ass to death with hard, heavy rocks!. Here you can't take the law into your own hands. You have to go through a lengthy, sometimes grueling process and pay dudes to walk you through it. The process was completely made up. I've seen people get divorced, I know some people who probably wished they could just chuck a rock at the other and let the party left standing win.

Malkor on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In other parts of the world I can stone my wife for comitting adultry. Stone her cheating ass to death with hard, heavy rocks!. Here you can't take the law into your own hands. You have to go through a lengthy, sometimes grueling process and pay dudes to walk you through it. The process was completely made up. I've seen people get divorced, I know some people who probably wished they could just chuck a rock at the other and let the party left standing win.

In the majority (I'm pretty certain it's the majority or at least damn close too it) of the western world, the age of consent is sixteen. So without being disingenuous, why is it just as bad to sleep with a seventeen year old as a ten year old? Do you really think there is a sudden change in maturity when someone turns eighteen as opposed to a gradual variable rise in maturity varying from person to person.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Leitner wrote: »

In the majority (I'm pretty certain it's the majority or at least damn close too it) of the western world, the age of consent is sixteen. So without being disingenuous, why is it just as bad to sleep with a seventeen year old as a ten year old? Do you really think there is a sudden change in maturity when someone turns eighteen as opposed to a gradual variable rise in maturity varying from person to person.

I don't know why they set it at 18 here (actually in alot of places it's 16 with a bunch of legalese). I don't know why it's 16 in other parts of the western world, when it could be 12 or 15 or 17. I know some 8 year olds that through their specific life experiences are more mature than some 20 year olds that I know. I do know that 16 and 18 are the ages when the person can legally give consent. That's consistent with other things we arbitrarily decide they can do, like drive, vote, or enter into a legal binding contract. I don't think I've ever made any moral claims here though.

Malkor on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Child molestation is also convincing little kids to have sex with you. Dumbass teenage girls aren't gonna have enough sense to not have sex with creepy guys from the internet because of their daddy issues or whatever reason. The kids don't know what's going on, but all the predators grasp the situation pretty well, except for the whole fault in morality thing. The creepy guys who wanna bang 16 and 17 year olds are the same in my book at the creepy guys who wanna bang real little kids. These guys are too worried about knockin' boots all the time and they don't realize or don't care that they might ruin someone's entire life because they couldn't have a little sense.

So for example, lets say some girl runs out in front of your car and you almost run her sorry ass over. So you get out of your car, tell her to stop being an idiot and grab her arm asking where her parents are. Under your Brilliant plan, you can enjoy your execution.

Or how about the 20 year old with the 17 year old girlfriend? is he a dirty child molestor and should be executed?

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

"Other parts of the world" being what, maybe a few stone age countries in Asia or Africa?

For all I know, 16 year olds might be legal right here in my own state.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know where you live, Scoot, but in NY, it's either 16 or 17, I can never remember which.
    The point is, its an arbitrary number that changes from place to place, and statutory rape laws are fairly stupid.

Me Too! on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok, fine. I do agree that the age is arbitrary. Most social conventions are arbitrary. Any complex system needs arbitrary rules, guidelines, and starting points that we all agree to. In most places this random line is 16 or 18, because I'm guessing the idea is that until that age the 'child' cannot protect him/herself. Should there be no line at all?

Malkor on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I actually like the .5(x) + 7 theory.

Scooter on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Age is stupid. I say if both parties are done with puberty, let em do what they want.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CadderlyCadderly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    On top of this, a lot of the chat logs show the pedophiles asking the decoys if they are cops, which, since they are not cops, they can legally say no. But they're working with cops, so is that covered by the law at all? It's just entrapment by proxy.

As a law student, one of the biggest myths I can debunk for you guys is this one. Cops DO NOT have to say they are cops if they are undercover. No undercover cop would be successful if this were the case.

Cadderly on