As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirits: For monocles AND hobos alike!

• Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Those are two different guys.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

And yet, they're both that guy.

Such is the ubiquitousness of that guy.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    Gafoto wrote: »

And yet, they're both that guy.

Such is the ubiquitousness of that guy.

I swear to god I'll cut off your head and leave you to wander around destroying things.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    my cousin has something he slips into his shoe like that... though this one seems more convenient to get to.

hmm maybe it's in his jacket.

either way, awesome.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    511.jpg

One of the finest Cognacs you can get for under $1000. So good with a cigar, or some good nakhla.

Code on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cordon Bleu huh? Like the delectable breaded chicken cheese dealie?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    180px-Becherovka_bottle.jpg

Best drink, or bestest? Although I get the impression it's kinda hard to find these babies outside of the Czech Republic or Slovakia.

Someone mentioned Absinthe a few pages back: tastes like shit, but has its uses. Namely, drinking a shot of it poured over a sugar cube in the club when I feel I'm starting to come down from my earlier buzz. Picks me right up ;-)

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Explain what that is Tinche.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's Becherovka. A 38% herbal licqour, with a very pleasant aroma and easy on the stomach. Also, not expensive - I remember it being cheaper than Jaegermeister.

Wonder why the Czechs have the best drinks* (best beers, best hard licqour). Maybe because they're the least religious contry in Europe? ;-)

*arguably (Yeah, yeah.)

Tinche on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    You guys have Prague, which is supposed to be a kick-ass city. Also, Mucha. And Tesla, right?

I've not had your crazy herbal liquor, but have been unimpressed by the British herbal liquors. Either they just taste like anise or else they just taste like ass. Aquavit tasted like being punched in the mouth by rye bread.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Prague is pretty kickass. That was the first place I had more than one alcoholic beverage in the same evening.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i barely remember my time in prague if that gives you any indication of how good a time I had

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Black is a Canadian Scotch. Dont get it if you are looking for somehing distinctive.

Any [at least] 12 year single malt will probably do.

What the hell is Canadian Scotch?

If it's Canadian, it's not Scotch, right?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Black is a Canadian Scotch. Dont get it if you are looking for somehing distinctive.

Any [at least] 12 year single malt will probably do.

Ummmmmm what? JW Black is not canadian scotch. You...can't have Canadian SCOTCH.

Crayon on
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Everything I read online says JW Black is made in Scotland, so I'm not sure where the Canadian thing is coming from.

In any case, Black is still a good Scotch, and, in fact, I like it better than some of the single malts that I have tried.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Prague is indeed a kickass city, however I'm not from there :'( (I'm from Zagreb). The last time I was there was around the New Year, when I had the luck of visiting Karlovy Lazny* ** ***.

P.S. Tesla was a Serb born in Croatia. wiki

*luck had nothing to do with it, I paid for a ticket

** it's a 5-story club in centre Prague, the biggest in that part of Europe, and for some reason is doesn't have a wiki page

*** was too drunk to remember the new year countdown D:

Tinche on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I get states of the former Czechoslovakia and states of the former Yugoslavia mixed up regularly. Life was so much geographically simpler for us Americans under the Soviet era.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Yeah I get states of the former Czechoslovakia and states of the former Yugoslavia mixed up regularly. Life was so much geographically simpler for us Americans under the Soviet era.

Also global politics.

VishNub on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    VishNub wrote: »
    Also global politics.

While both Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia were communist countries, Czechoslovakia was part of the Warsaw pact while Yugoslavia wasn't (it was a major player in the non-aligned movement). Don't be hating on Yugoslavia :(

Another important difference between the two former countries is that Czechoslovakia managed to win 2 football world cups. *mumble angrily*

Tinche on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've decided I really don't like cognac.
    I bought a bottle of Remy VSOP and it tastes like cough syrup to me.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    CodeCode Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Some people just don't like Cognac, others, like me, just don't like CHEAP cognac, the aforementioned Martell is one of the very few licquors that I can drink neat, in a heated up glass, it is like dessert after a nice meal, and it is fantastic.

Code on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    If Remy VSOP is "cheap" then I can't afford "expensive."

Feral on

• Options
    edited August 2007

Do you even like brandy? I find both rather pleasant, but rarely find myself buying or drinking either. It's kind of cool how cognac evaporates off your tongue.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Do you even like brandy? I find both rather pleasant, but rarely find myself buying or drinking either. It's kind of cool how cognac evaporates off your tongue.

I dunno, I've had brandy before and it didn't floor me, but it was cheap brandy. I didn't really hate it either.

Feral on

• Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    enc0re wrote: »
    The water is meant to dissolve the sugar. A clever bartender might break out syrup to replace sugar and water altogether. That's what I mean by it being a good test. An old-fashioned requires understanding of the purposes of the ingredients. It's not just mix and stir.
    I usually use a little ice and either muddle the sugarcube or sugar with the ice, or else just let the sugarcube dissolve slowly as the ice melted. Kind of finishes on a sweet note and it keeps me from drinking it too quickly.

Sugar cube in just enough water to dissolve it. 2 dashes of bitters. Jigger of bourbon. 1 ice cube. Twist of lemon peel. Don't spoil it by adding any other fruit or water or whatever. I had some FANTASTIC old-fashioneds at a bar on upper-Haight in SF recently (at the Alembic). Tons of cool cocktails there.

My standby spirit is Wild Turkey (I saw it referred to as the Clint Eastwood of bourbons.). I'm a bourbon fan in general. Someday I want to start a kickass bourbon bar.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey several months ago and just recently managed to polish it off. I didn't prefer it - it was a pretty rough bourbon, and I even prefer Jim Beam.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey several months ago and just recently managed to polish it off. I didn't prefer it - it was a pretty rough bourbon, and I even prefer Jim Beam.

Yeah, smooth is definitely not part of Turkey's MO. But I like it. Double on the rocks. Warm in my tummy. Puts hair on my chest.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    forbis316 wrote: »

Yeah, smooth is definitely not part of Turkey's MO. But I like it. Double on the rocks. Warm in my tummy. Puts hair on my chest.

You should try their barrel strength Rare Breed if you think WT puts hair on your chest. If you really want some hair, try Booker's...now that will not only put hair on your chest but make it so long women can climb a balcony with it.

Crayon on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anyone try that Lucide absinthe? I'm considering getting some since it's apparently made just like older absinthe yet is somehow legal in the US because it doesn't have thumose or thujose or whatever.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    forbis316 wrote: »

You should try their barrel strength Rare Breed if you think WT puts hair on your chest. If you really want some hair, try Booker's...now that will not only put hair on your chest but make it so long women can climb a balcony with it.

I've had the Rare Breed. Good stuff. I don't go to classy enough places to try Booker's (or have the coin to buy it myself).

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I would suggest not trying absinthe. Absinthe is more interesting in legend than in reality.

Feral on

• Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried it in Europe. It was alright. Really hard to drink, but that's how it is. One tall shot got me pretty far though. The hallucination stuff is bullshit, though. Still, if a bottle is cheap it's nice in certain mixed drinks.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Anybody mentioned this yet?:

MakersMark_750.gif

(Picture of Maker's Mark if it doesn't load for you - Will)

This stuff is pretty damn good. I like it better than Jack and Jim.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Jim Beam is pretty nice for an american whisky.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Jim Beam is pretty nice for an american whisky.

There are plenty of good American whiskEys. Over here, we add the E sir.

I would go so far as to say American whiskey's are far better than most Scotch's when you compare both drinkability and price. To get an amazing scotch you sometimes have to spend 80+, and even upwards of a few hundred. To get an amazing bourbon/blended American you might be hitting the top 40s. Even the "greatest" bourbon (Pappy Van Winkle) won't break the bank like the best scotch will.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just tried Johnny Walker Black for the first time tonight. That's pretty good.

Feral on

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Maker's Mark is my bourbon of choice - assuming I'm not mixing it - but it can get pricey.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Maker's Mark is my bourbon of choice - assuming I'm not mixing it - but it can get pricey.

I like it, but prefer Knob Creek.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

How many bourbons have you tried if Mark is your favorite? I don't know of any real bourbon drinkers who have settled on Mark being the best.

Crayon on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just tried Johnny Walker Black for the first time tonight. That's pretty good.

$$$!

Looking at my bank account, I'm switching back to bottom shelf plastic bottles and 40s of Steel Reserve.

MrMister on