As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] The most realistic MOBA out there.

• RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Pros tend to lean towards what the easiest characters are to play too (especially in the fighting game community) because money is on the line.

I wouldn't say easier - I think more consistent and safer is accurate. Lee Sin is not an "easy" hero by any stretch.

• LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Coming back into the game, I'd like to ask about runes. Specifically, generic rune pages. Right now I've got an AD page (flat AD reds, flat armor yellows, flat mr blues, movespeed quints), AP (same but with mpen reds), AS (all attack speed except yellows, which is armor), Support (flat armor reds and yellows, flat mr blues, GP10 quints), and one for Akali specifically because her passive is fuckin weird.

Are there any other generic pages I should set up, or should I change any of my current ones? Or can I save the rest for champion-specific loadouts?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Pros tend to lean towards what the easiest characters are to play too (especially in the fighting game community) because money is on the line.

This isn't true at all in the fighting game community. They generally go for the highest tier characters, which are the characters with the most favorable matchups. These are generally characters that can get high reward off of low risk, or can get their damage in more reliably in more situations. Easy example is early in SF4s life that some characters could easily and safely combo into their ultras (with meter, heck some even without) for consistent huge damage and these characters mostly ended up higher tier than those who could not. Sagat was top tier because he had large consistent damage, a large health pool and a safe style of gameplay. Nothing about that had to do with how easy he was to play. A lot of his gameplay revolved around kara canceling into his various moves to give him a ridiculous threat range. If it about how easy a character was to play you wouldn't have seen Lord Knight rocking Litchi in Blazblue. Her combos are hard, but when you learn them she can get consistently huge damage off many situations and that is why she is good. Some people go for really high risk really high reward characters too (grapplers, Tager, Gief) but you see them top tournaments less often overall, but they do happen.

Similarly in pro League you don't see people pick champs because they are easy. You see people pick them because they are consistent or because they are safe quite often. Pros tend to stay away from champs or comps that need to snowball early to have any chance of winning because it is a risky play (though it does sometimes happen, it is generally a desperation play though). It doesn't really have to do with ease of use.

Inquisitor on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Roz wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So anyone try three Tear Singed yet?

Go on
    @Roz

When a manamune/archangel staff upgrade they lose their unique mana stacking passive, allowing you to stack up a new manamnune/archangel/tear

This allows you to get Seraph, Muramana and A third tear(if you really wanted it) fully stacked.

Sing singed both

A: charges tears really easily

and

B: Makes use of Lots of mana due to his passive,

this could be very valuable on him. Build normally but make sure you always have a tear stacking in the background

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    I'd actually say it was easier in S2 to get away with not knowing how to peel. If your AD was getting touched then there was usually something your team could've done better.

You need to know how to screen against Khaz and Zed. Teams need to know how to target swap and collapse on Pantheon and Olaf. Proper use of Exhaust is critical. ADs need to start building their one defensive item earlier. You need wards in the area surrounding the fight location so your back line doesn't get flanked.

I shouldn't be able to ult the AD carry as Noct, kill him 1v1, then turn around and clean up. But it happens. A lot.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be around all night in about an hour or so, play with me and slay some nerds

Go on
    @Roz

When a manamune/archangel staff upgrade they lose their unique mana stacking passive, allowing you to stack up a new manamnune/archangel/tear

This allows you to get Seraph, Muramana and A third tear(if you really wanted it) fully stacked.

Sing singed both

and

this could be very valuable on him. Build normally but make sure you always have a tear stacking in the background

This is hot. Hotter than hot. This is like 4 sunfire capes strapped to my back as I plunge myself deep into the core of the earth.

I want a Ryze/Singed duo team that does this and nothing but this every game all game.

• PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    So apparently if you qualify for S3 Riot will give you money so you can kinda support yourself while you play

So apparently if you qualify for S3 Riot will give you money so you can kinda support yourself while you play

RIOT GIVES ME YOUR MONIES I WILL SPEND IT WISELY ON GROWING YOUR BRAND!

• SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

This is hot. Hotter than hot. This is like 4 sunfire capes strapped to my back as I plunge myself deep into the core of the earth.

I want a Ryze/Singed duo team that does this and nothing but this every game all game.

I'll happily try this if you want to play tonight. I'm sure it won't go badly at all.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

This is pretty great.

I just wish riot allowed more smaller leagues to pop up, so we had more competitive league going than only the big events.

Sampsen wrote: »

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

I'll happily try this if you want to play tonight. I'm sure it won't go badly at all.

I am on now. BUT I AM SINGED IN THIS RELATIONSHIP ONLY RYZE FOR YOU!

• SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

No.. no.. this doesn't work. And I won't be home for another hour at least.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

No.. no.. this doesn't work. And I won't be home for another hour at least.

ok i'll be ryze this time. but we have to lane bros.

Frozenzen wrote: »

This is pretty great.

I just wish riot allowed more smaller leagues to pop up, so we had more competitive league going than only the big events.

I don't know what you mean. There quite a few tournaments/series prize pools going on. There is IPL, OGN, and Korean leagues that had a series of games ending in their own grand finals. I think it would be incorrect to say that there aren't non-riot organized leagues or that teams make most of their prize winnings through Riot's league

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Joe K wrote: »
    (oh, btw - who was having trouble with Jungle Kayle? She seems no different than before)
    I felt like I was taking waaay too much damage and couldn't farm until I got Wriggles, and couldn't gank because of all the damage I was taking, but that game was kind of fucked generally so I don't know. But I'm going to be avoiding the jungle anyway until they fix the monster health.

I hate it when people play "support Kayle" because they play as if they're Soraka and then are completely useless because they have no items. If you want to run her as a kill lane go for it, I imagine her and Fiora would instagib anyone at level 2, but she does not fit into the traditional support role at all.

if you're coming through too low, run armor quints, yes yes yes, there were better quints before, but there are only a few that can get away with it now and still be at ganking potential at 4.

This is pretty great.

I don't know what you mean. There quite a few tournaments/series prize pools going on. There is IPL, OGN, and Korean leagues that had a series of games ending in their own grand finals. I think it would be incorrect to say that there aren't non-riot organized leagues or that teams make most of their prize winnings through Riot's league

There aren't really that many events, seems like it's pretty much just one tournament per month or so. My point is not the prizepools or whatever, it's the lack of variation within the scene and the fact that there isn't something running at least twice a week or so apart from OGN. There seem to be like 20ish LoL teams at most, which doesn't seem to be a lot at all.

I'm just miffed there isn't a lot of competitive league to watch live for me really, which is ironic since the "dying" game of SC2 has tournaments nearly every weekend. Being in EU makes it really hard to find stuff in my own timezone, I just find it boring unless it's live, which is why I can't follow the OGN stuff, usually have something to do when that's on.

Might just be me not knowing when stuff is played, LoL needs some kind of centralised tournament tracker.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

This is pretty great.

There aren't really that many events, seems like it's pretty much just one tournament per month or so. My point is not the prizepools or whatever, it's the lack of variation within the scene and the fact that there isn't something running at least twice a week or so apart from OGN. There seem to be like 20ish LoL teams at most, which doesn't seem to be a lot at all.

I'm just miffed there isn't a lot of competitive league to watch live for me really, which is ironic since the "dying" game of SC2 has tournaments nearly every weekend. Being in EU makes it really hard to find stuff in my own timezone, I just find it boring unless it's live, which is why I can't follow the OGN stuff, usually have something to do when that's on.

Might just be me not knowing when stuff is played, LoL needs some kind of centralised tournament tracker.

Well you are in luck. Welcome to season 3. The teams have a salary and there are supposed to be matches every week once the season starts, for specifically the reasons you gave.

Not all the details are out yet, but what you desire is their goal

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kz0XQ.jpg
    riot pls

Gotta say I would have voted punish there.

• BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    \

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

You don't want Sunfire stacking back. trust me

I still have nightmares of that fucking clown sometimes.

Edit - Also, the loss of the UNIQUE tag on upgraded items has been reported to be a bug, Riot has not confirmed or denied this, but it may possibly be one.

BillGates on
    Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
    They should let clones and minions get the effect from it though, could lead to some hilarity. Sunfire malz hooooo!

There was a time when they did. Now they don't. For a good reason.

Steam - BillGates91 | LoL - Billbotnik | MWO - BillGates | FFXIV - Leoric Botnik
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Shaco's clone still has the Sunfire effect.

liEt3nH.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

[/quote]
    The problem with ryze doing is that he needs the tanky/mana items really badly and doesn't get tanky with a tear. It also usually takes him a long time to stack. That being said, still have one stacking but its not going to be effective like it will be on singed.

wbBv3fj.png
    edited January 2013
    BillGates wrote: »

That involved stacking several sunfires apparently. With only one it merely becomes something interesting instead of something stupid in my opinion.

Frozenzen on
    I'm pretty sure Shaco's clone still has the Sunfire effect.

Yep, Shaco's clone still does it. Yorrick's and Morde's clone has it as well, i believe, provided the enemy or ally have it.

That involved stacking several sunfires apparently. With only one it merely becomes something interesting instead of something stupid in my opinion.

It's been back for a while in a much more limited form. Only "clones" can have it, player minions (Voidlings, Spiderlings, etc) don't get any bonuses from items beside the raw values of AP/AD and if certain champions get bonuses to there player minions, such as leveling Elises ult.

However, the new items that affect minions ALSO give those bonuses to player minions. Banner of Command, for example, works on Voidlings and Spiderlings, but not Shaco/Morde/Yorrick clones because they are clones, and not player minions.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the best sunfire stack was sunfire stack twitch

stand near people

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    the best sunfire stack was sunfire stack twitch

stand near people

OH GOD HAX

I remember back in the day, we would be sitting in a bush waiting to catch someone, it was before they added the red tint on being hurt. Our health bars would just go down...and we would run...and they would keep going down...and eventually...well the AP usually died first.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    those people are just standing around dying forever, that's silly. See no reason why they can't bring it back to minions at least, but keep it to one cape, not more.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Go on
    @Roz

Sing singed both

and

I want to do this with Blitz, just for the INSANE mana shield.

I cringed.

I fucking cringed.

This is pretty great.

Dominate dominion happens every weekend, there were IPL matches a couple times a week. Solomid did their tournament every weekend. Curse did tournaments, CLG will be doing their own tournament as well. ESL Pro Series is on right now as well (dignitas vs team split push). I have always felt like there are a lot of tournaments going on, but unless big name teams are playing those tournaments don't get huge viewership

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

For....what exactly? Riven existing?

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    I remember back in the day, we would be sitting in a bush waiting to catch someone, it was before they added the red tint on being hurt. Our health bars would just go down...and we would run...and they would keep going down...and eventually...well the AP usually died first.
    Am I the only person who plays with the red flash off? It does sometimes cause problems, but I find it so distracting during fights.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Am I the only person who plays with the red flash off? It does sometimes cause problems, but I find it so distracting during fights.

Probably.

I find it useful since I tend to roam the map a lot to see what is going on and my attention isn't always directly on my champ. If I'm travelling a long distance for instance and am watching the fight I'm heading to in order to change position if necessary. It's important if I happen to get jumped or hit a teemo shroom or something that I be informed of this.

I can't think of a reason to actually turn it off personally.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png

For....what exactly? Riven existing?

Because black cleaver. I really like riven actually.

Alternatively, I was being facetious.

I can't think of a reason to actually turn it off personally.
    I find it so much harder to see things with the red everywhere, although yes I do sometimes get jumped while watching something else and die.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxhmskeCZJs
    An even better SOTD delivery system.

This discussion has been closed.