As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All shall [chat] me and despair!

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Oh Jacob, I meant to ask you, have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's work? I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and I enjoyed it tremendously.

nah, I have not read a whole lot of fantasy and I tend to be out of step with most fans when I do - I couldn't stand the first Wheel of Time and the first Malazan books, for instance

Ah, okay. I remembered you talking about Book of the New Sun, I didn't know if you read other fantasy stuff.

I have real trouble keeping track of who's into what around here.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh man I found the warmest and comfiest spot in the arcade I think. Now to just wait for the machine I want to open up.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh man I found the warmest and comfiest spot in the arcade I think. Now to just wait for the machine I want to open up.

goood goood feed your addiction

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I don't think I had ever actually listened to Azealia Banks

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Oh Jacob, I meant to ask you, have you read any of Brandon Sanderson's work? I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and I enjoyed it tremendously.

nah, I have not read a whole lot of fantasy and I tend to be out of step with most fans when I do - I couldn't stand the first Wheel of Time and the first Malazan books, for instance

Fantasy is a genre with an unusually high percentage of poop in it. In many different ways, but some of the worst offences are novels that read like RPG source books and ridiculously bloated never-ending series.

That said, some of my favourite books are fantasy. LOTR, Earthsea, Little Big, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Song of Ice and Fire.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I need to give Glen Cook a try, yeah. I also want to read more Tim Powers although I found him kind of cotton-candy.

I looked for more Tim Powers books at Half Price books before I got a Christopher Moore one. Didn't find any.

Glen Cook's Black Company is weird. I feel like it's poorly written a lot but... it's... good? It's odd. I suppose it's more like Vietnam fiction than other fantasy works.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

whatcha think

look up the song 212 on youtube

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    The only Tim Powers I read was Last Call.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    that's my first listen and I enjoyed that

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I need to give Glen Cook a try, yeah. I also want to read more Tim Powers although I found him kind of cotton-candy.

The Garrett stuff is your standard Noir mystery stuff but with fantasy, some bad things happen but usually to bad people. The Black Company....bad things happen.

• Options
    212 is amazing.

• Options
    man my eyes are all dried out for some reason.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Last Call was really good and really creepy but The Anubis Gates is probably better.

• Options
    OK 212 is pretty great too

Why is all new music so goddamn weird lately, I love it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    let me get that ooh

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Ah, okay. I remembered you talking about Book of the New Sun, I didn't know if you read other fantasy stuff.

I have real trouble keeping track of who's into what around here.

I'm the one who's into collecting precious moments figurines and murdering drifters

• Options
    @So It Goes so you prob know tightrope by janelle monae

but how about the awesome rap remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GlpeFqMLZI

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    My friend really wants me to watch the Resident Evil movies and I try, I really try they just can't hold my attention for very long.

They are putrid. I actually used them as an object example in a research paper I wrote about the decline of female action heroes in film.

Ok if you did a research project using it, maybe you can explain to me why it is the most boring thing ever to me.

I mean the actors are good actors. The soundtrack is good. The effects aren't bad. The dialog isn't cringe-inducing. The situations are simplistic but that's how action films usually are. What is it that makes it so boring?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hmm, I'll give the first Garrett book a try.

I read everything on my tablet now, and it's kind of frustrating how many books are the same price as the paperback version. Especially since I was really starting to get into using Thriftbooks to find really cheap used paperbacks.

The convenience of being able to read on my tablet outweighs price considerations, though.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    man my eyes are all dried out for some reason.

Time to get in on those crazy Japanese eye drops!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    1vuV9.jpg

It's a fan poster but it's actually pretty effective.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2f6UbMnlq4

One of my favorite random songs of 2012

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I did the responsible thing and went to bed early for once. But then of course I woke up at half past one am and couldn't get to sleep again. Now, after an entire pot of coffee I'm less tired but feel pretty weird. Chemistry!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »

whatcha think

look up the song 212 on youtube

I listened to everything on spotify and 212 is the only one I like. Had heard it some time back in chat.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Last Call was really good and really creepy but The Anubis Gates is probably better.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I mean theoretically I should like fantasy a lot? I guess my thing is I prefer

a) shorter. standalone books instead of series
    b) with a strong emphasis on characterization and atmosphere
    c) and not too much bs jargon

so I feel like a lot of the ten-book Saga of the Butt Sword stuff is not really for me. But I like China Mieville a lot, and Gene Wolfe, and Jack Vance, and Robert E. Howard (to a point).

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    [img[/img]

It's a fan poster but it's actually pretty effective.
    steadman-esque

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Gene Wolfe is really good.

Great.

LIke greatness.

• Options
    hey mofos this chat isn't for slow chat

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Just got some guy to pay $120 plus tax for a room to what I assume is to hook up with some lady from "da club"

Regular room rate for tonight is $100 plus tax

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Oh right, forgot Mieville and Wolfe in my list of fantasy favourites.

• Options
    Mieville can't write a good ending to save his life and I feel like his books keep getting worse.

I almost re-read Iron Council when at Half Price Books though.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Gene Wolfe is really good.

Great.

LIke greatness.

the fact that someone (Dynagrip) liked Gene Wolfe is how I started hanging around PA in the first place.

• Options
    DtBjp.jpg

That's a perfect poster.

• Options
    dammit I was gonna go to bed now I want to find even more new music to listen to

I have a "my best of 2012" playlist almost put together but it needs more rando

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Mieville can't write a good ending to save his life and I feel like his books keep getting worse.

Embassytown and the City & the City were great, I thought. Also, I don't think I've been markedly unsatisfied with any of his endings. He's certainly no Neal Stephenson.

• Options
    Also while I'm posting posters....

2ynmc9j.jpg

Also perfect.

• Options
    Just got some guy to pay $120 plus tax for a room to what I assume is to hook up with some lady from "da club"

Regular room rate for tonight is $100 plus tax

listen

I expect a huge discount if I ever encounter your hotel

SIR

• Options

I dunno, I liked the endings of all the Bas-Lag books. I understand why people wouldn't like the endings to Perdido and The Scar; I think they made sense but were deliberately designed to kind of alienate and upset - but Iron Council had, I thought, just about the perfect ending. It had all the inevitability of myth.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    My friend really wants me to watch the Resident Evil movies and I try, I really try they just can't hold my attention for very long.

They are putrid. I actually used them as an object example in a research paper I wrote about the decline of female action heroes in film.

Ok if you did a research project using it, maybe you can explain to me why it is the most boring thing ever to me.

I mean the actors are good actors. The soundtrack is good. The effects aren't bad. The dialog isn't cringe-inducing. The situations are simplistic but that's how action films usually are. What is it that makes it so boring?

My specific criticism, which is well developed in the paper but probably not in this post so forgive me for that, is that the heroine has been drained of her female strengths to make room for what is essentially a killing machine. She doesn't even have the level of empathy that we expect from a male action hero, Rambo and John MacLaine seem downright emotional in comparison. She's a cardboard cut out of a character doing ninja moves.

It doesn't matter that she's a good actress, in fact, that probably makes it worse because as a competent actress she's doing a good job of playing the emotionally flat character as written.

So you as the audience have nothing to relate to. The effects are irrelevant, all the cool explosions and tech in the world mean nothing in film if there is nothing to engage you emotionally.

The simplest example I can think of would be to take Schwarzenegger's character from Terminator 1 and insert it into Terminator 2.

That would be a shitty film, would it not?

That's basically how I feel about the Resident Evil films.

This discussion has been closed.