As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends] The most realistic MOBA out there.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Same format, different opinions.

Top Bruiser:
    AD
    8xAD, 1xCrit Chance
    Armor
    MR

ADC
    AD
    8xArmour Pen, 1xCrit Chance
    Armor
    MR

Jungler
    MoveSpeed
    Attack Speed
    Armor
    3xMR, 6xMR/lvl

Support
    GP/10
    Armor
    GP/10
    MR

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Rius wrote: »
    Oh holyshit, _J_ is playing LoL now? Welcome to the party dude!

That is a simple request that has a whole lot of data in the answer, unfortunately. I main support, I'd be happy to help you out some.

So far the game is enjoyable. I've only played beginner against bots, so need to try intermediate and then some actual pvp.

Hopefully some PAers won't mind my dragging down their games while I learn pvp :P

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    You can add me @_J_ though I'm not on as much lately, and I don't mind flailing around doing derpy things, I've been wanting to try new weird stuff since the meta change but pubs are all "WRRRYYY S2 META WWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY REPORT NOOOBBBBB"

Skuttie ingame

• Options
    MomoriMomori Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    As far as lovers go, he's a bit... grabby, if you know what I mean.

I call him, Fisto Roboto

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So, my bitching about Riot stealing 85 Elo from me has been put in perspective:

Due to a software issue, this guy started Season 3 at 0 Elo, despite being plat from season 2:
    h5olx.jpg?1

Look at his win/loss compared to Elo.

Edit to add: A plat Twitch in sub-1K games has to be brutally unfun. Back when I was pre-30, I sucked badly at countering Twitch, and even to the extent I was better than other people in my team, they had already fed him.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

That is a simple request that has a whole lot of data in the answer, unfortunately. I main support, I'd be happy to help you out some.

So far the game is enjoyable. I've only played beginner against bots, so need to try intermediate and then some actual pvp.

Hopefully some PAers won't mind my dragging down their games while I learn pvp :P

You should add me as a friend, I am "Rius" on the NA server. Be happy to answer support- or otherwise-related questions anytime, though I won't be on much if at all today.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    vHD5z.jpg
    Carryin' hard. Our team was way stronger in fights but they had almost killed all our towers. Finally we all went mid due to them all chasing Wukong and won.

Xagar on
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    How the hell do you jungle Leona without having the other guy invade and murder your shit constantly.

you carry around a minimum of 30-70 extra armor/mr, an AOE slow, a stun/flash skillshot and a low cooldown nuke stun. Throw in your Ult for extra reasons to not show up in Leona's jungle. If your team has any map awareness at all, the invader may just be able to move before they show up and murder them.

Leona jungle is pretty damn strong...

If you burn all your cooldowns just to lock down Mundo until your lane arrives, and his arrives at the same time, let's just say you're dead. You have to assume both teams will react to jungle invasion, and in fact, the other team has a leg up on it because they know their jungler is entering your jungle before you do. Leona jungle is the opposite of strong. She has very strong ganks, but her clear speed is so god awful and her dueling power so nonexistent it should never work. That's not to say it won't work sometimes, but it shouldn't ever. Just imagine being level 2 Leona and meeting a level 2 Lee Sin, Mundo, or half the other junglers in league at your 2nd buff. You are going to have started W so now you have one point in Q to fight with. Yeah, that's going to go super well for you.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    APs are not dying out at all. Thing is, while AD casters/assassins are now very strong and work well against AP mids for the most part as counterpicks, there's also the fact that MR is a bit more annoying to come by in S3, with the removal of FoN.

AP champs are not in any way bad now, it's just they're easier to counterpick with your Talons, Pantheons, etc. That being said, you can still play APs into any of these matchups, you just have to change how aggressive you play in some matchups.

You still lose something if you pick somebody like Pantheon for your mid over somebody like Orianna or even a Katarina. You gain lane bullying advantage and lose out hugely in aoe team fight potential and utility.

It's a good thing that AD casters are far more relevant now than they were in S2, but people want to make it out to be like just because AD mids are good now it means AP mids are totally worthless, when it's just not true.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    APs are not dying out at all. Thing is, while AD casters/assassins are now very strong and work well against AP mids for the most part as counterpicks, there's also the fact that MR is a bit more annoying to come by in S3, with the removal of FoN.

AP champs are not in any way bad now, it's just they're easier to counterpick with your Talons, Pantheons, etc. That being said, you can still play APs into any of these matchups, you just have to change how aggressive you play in some matchups.

You still lose something if you pick somebody like Pantheon for your mid over somebody like Orianna or even a Katarina. You gain lane bullying advantage and lose out hugely in aoe team fight potential and utility.

It's a good thing that AD casters are far more relevant now than they were in S2, but people want to make it out to be like just because AD mids are good now it means AP mids are totally worthless, when it's just not true.

I don't think the bolded is right -- removal of niche FoN is easily outweighed by the addition of ubiquitous Runic Bulwark.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If anyone wants to watch, I'm going to stream a few games. I had an awful awful losing streak last week, so it's time to get my ELO back up.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »

I don't think the bolded is right -- removal of niche FoN is easily outweighed by the addition of ubiquitous Runic Bulwark.

between the SV and Runic Bulwark, you're MR options are pertty damn nifty.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    You can add me @_J_ though I'm not on as much lately, and I don't mind flailing around doing derpy things, I've been wanting to try new weird stuff since the meta change but pubs are all "WRRRYYY S2 META WWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY REPORT NOOOBBBBB"

Skuttie ingame

Is a DOTA match but I feel the need to show off the fact that regardless of how solid and well played a meta is you can still fuck it up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydBZZ7YAf1s

Fnatic using the currently popular US meta of having a long laner (WR) a mid (Gyro) and a tri-lane with a carry (Lifestealer).

The game is over in around 20 minutes regardless.

Any time someone tells you that meta is so important that you should be reported for not following it you should be validated in the fact that even at the highest level of play in this genre people still win with cheese.

• Options
    So, it turns out they did actually add the Kha'zix vs Rengar thing into the game.

Once one of them gets sufficiently fed, you get a little quest pop-up (like in Dominion or the Tutorial), and then...

cMCfQ.jpg

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    I forgot how absolutely boring that game is to watch as well as play :(

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    If you're bored by the glory of level one Roshan I don't know how to amuse you D:

I wish Dragon spawned at level 1 in league, that could be fun.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Support
    GP/10
    Armor
    GP/10
    MR
    [/quote]

No, no, no no no, no no, NO.

GP/10 quints/yellows are bad, you will never get enough gold out of them to make up for the lost stats. The armor from Armor Quints is nearly a chain vest worth, it will take you 16 minutes from the quints to buy you that chain vest.

Start with the armor, use it to win the lane. If you are short some gold, tax your ADC a handful.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    If you're bored by the glory of level one Roshan I don't know how to amuse you D:

I am bored by the game in it's entirety. It's boring to watch, the art style is dull, the color scheme is washed out, the effects are muddled, the action is boring, and I dislike pretty much everything about what they decided to keep on it. The couple things they do right are completely overshadowed by the many many things they do wrong.

It doesn't have much to do with a lvl 1 fight :D

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

What lvl are you? I got a lvl 10 smurf that I can use to play with you.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options

I am bored by the game in it's entirety. It's boring to watch, the art style is dull, the color scheme is washed out, the effects are muddled, the action is boring, and I dislike pretty much everything about what they decided to keep on it. The couple things they do right are completely overshadowed by the many many things they do wrong.

Fair enough, but I'm still taking this as an excuse to use this image:

are-you-not-entertained.gif

• Options

Fair enough, but I'm still taking this as an excuse to use this image:

are-you-not-entertained.gif

rome_thumbs_down.jpg

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    No, no, no no no, no no, NO.

GP/10 quints/yellows are bad, you will never get enough gold out of them to make up for the lost stats. The armor from Armor Quints is nearly a chain vest worth, it will take you 16 minutes from the quints to buy you that chain vest.

Start with the armor, use it to win the lane. If you are short some gold, tax your ADC a handful.
    The opportunity cost for wards vs personal armour is pretty high.

There's an argument for switching the yellows out for resilience or mana regen on certain champs, but g/10 quints are basically a standard on every professional level support page.

• Options
    PrjctD_CaptainPrjctD_Captain iFizzRegistered User regular
    So, it turns out they did actually add the Kha'zix vs Rengar thing into the game.

Once one of them gets sufficiently fed, you get a little quest pop-up (like in Dominion or the Tutorial), and then...

Well yeah. Rengar gets the Head of Kha'Zix, which is a fully loaded Bonetooth Necklace that never loses stacks. And If Kha'Zix wins, he gets to evolve his last ability, giving him all four.

I beleive the quest pops when both have their lvl 3 ults.

Steam: BrightWing
    PSN: BrightWing13 FFX|V:ARR Bright Asuna
  • Options
    Ledneh wrote: »

Anyone? Runes really leave me feeling confused and worried that I'm not doing it right :(
    @Ledneh

Generally you use runes as level 1 base stat items.

You can use this in two ways:

1) Get stats you aren't going to buy

2) Make stats you're going to buy stronger

In addition there are scaling and flat choices. Depending on the type these break even between levels 3 and 12. Obviously go for scaling on the early break evens and flat for the late, but sometimes it up in the air between the two.

I don't have the list in front of me, but i know efficiency calculations exist. I.E. if you want to have both armor and MR the armor should go in your yellow slot and the MR in your blue slot. As if you go the other way (blue armor and yellow mr you will have lower of both)

That is the rough "theory" of it

In practice:

ADC's tend to go for AD reds, Armor Yellows, Scaling MR blues, and either AD, Armor Pen, or Move Speed Quints. APen gives you the best level 1 fight (if you have abilities). AD gives you easiest level 1 CS though this is less important as people now start with a longsword(+10 AD). Move Speed gives you the best long term value since move speed on non-boot items is so expensive now but you wont be able to fight in lane as well.

Supports tend to go for defense since they don't want to be doing more damage than their ADC but some will pick AP to buff their abilities. Generally a "strict support" will pick based on the lane they're against. If they're playing someone with lots of phyiscal damage they might go all armor or red/yellow/quint armor scaling MR blues. If they're playing against a high magic damage support (like Lux or Zyra or Leona or Lulu) they may pick up MR yellows or even MR quints. MS quints are also good since you're going to need to keep up with your ADC who will eventually get MS on items.

Physical damage Top Laners tend to go heavier on Armor Pen since they have higher base AD they don't have to worry about CSing as much and have to worry about fighting more and because they will get more damage from abilities. Other than that they will look like an ADC. Additional A Pen will come in reds at the expense of raw AD

Junglers tend to go for AS reds since they are better for the initial clear. But AD works as well.

AP champions can run Mpen Reds/AP Quints, Scaling AP blues, and armor yellows. Or other combinations depending on the lane. MP5 is also popular in yellow to keep harass up.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    There's an argument for switching the yellows out for resilience or mana regen on certain champs, but g/10 quints are basically a standard on every professional level support page.
    Nope. Professional supports run armor quints most often. GP/10 is rare.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I run 3GP/10 quints
    Either mana yellows or more commonly armour yellows
    Then AP reds
    MR blues

I should probably honestly drop the blues for more armour.

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I run gold per yellows too because fuck it.

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    Bubs wrote: »
    I run gold per yellows too because fuck it.

ALL I WANNA DO IS
    POKE POKE POKE POKE
    AND A
    KILL
    AND MAKE MY (carry) MONEY

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I run 3GP/10 quints
    Then AP reds
    MR blues

Drop the reds for more armour, if you want armour and AP. AP Blues are way better.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I run 3GP/10 quints
    Then AP reds
    MR blues

I run MS quints
    armor reds
    armor yellows
    mr/lvl blues

or

MS quints
    mpen reds
    armor yellows
    mr/level blues

I have some AP quints, but I think I only like them on actually-mid supports like Zyra who have some nice ratios.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Xagar wrote: »
    vHD5z.jpg
    Carryin' hard. Our team was way stronger in fights but they had almost killed all our towers. Finally we all went mid due to them all chasing Wukong and won.

But why'd you shit talk the Teemo?

Also, Phantoml0rd's team got DQ'd for taking a sub that wasn't on their roster because their top laner got in a car accident, and their normal subs were unable to make it, AND their captain got banned, making him unable to add another person to the roster.

:(

• Options
    Oh yeah fun question:

Top five characters from other MOBA's you'd enjoy a League version of:

5: Gnaw from awesomenauts: BLERGH, GNAW EAT TOO MUCH

4: Megabeth from SMNC: bruiser/carry with a rocket jump and stun boomerang, what could NOT be fun about this?

3: Sandking from DOTA: because Leona/Rammus hybrid would be too much fun on bot lane

2: Voltar from awesomenauts: You think Heimer can push? YOU CALL THAT BRUTE FORCE PUSHING, VOLTAR MAN: Heal turret, drones; healing auto attack

1: Windrunner: Because best character ever, 90% of my reason to play DOTA comes from WR. The other 10% is split between Luna's accent and Tidehunters tentacle hat. WR would be cool as she'd pretty much work in any position but jungle.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Public Service Announcement

So, one of their 5 is split pushing top or bot?

DO NOT CHASE HIM DAMMIT.

This is what people do when they are LOSING and AFRAID of teamfights. They are hoping you get distracted!

What you should do is: get your entire 5-man team in middle, curbstomp the enemy team in a 5v4 teamfight (remember, one of their people is busy goosing around top or bot), and then continue knocking over towers.

DO NOT:

- Chase the split pusher.
    - Chase people fleeing from the teamfight.

Just stay in the GODDAMNED LANE and shove it down their throats.

My God, we won the game, but it's like herding cats.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    So I recently picked up Olaf, and am loving him out of the jungle. Think I've lost two ranked games with him, and have played 8-10. I've recently tried lee sin in a few bot games, as he's free, and his play style seems fun an interesting. You're always hitting buttons, like riven :D.

I have the ip to get him, and I hear he's really strong but I don't see what it is that makes him so strong. He has a kit that a strong player should be able to take advantage of to be elusive, but I don't see anything that stands out as super strong. Haven't tried him in the jungle, but when I do take mobs in the bot games, he doesnt seem to clear extremely fast. Olaf seems quicker/safer.

• Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    the thing that was killing me is that it was Kayle splitting. It's not like she knocks them down super fast. Let's take the simplest nmber advantage we can come to: we have 5, they have 4, lets just fucking kill them. and then we can see if kayle can chew through towers faster than our entire team.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Nope. Professional supports run armor quints most often. GP/10 is rare.
    XSpecial: 3 g/10
    Krepo: 3 g/10
    Gozu Pepper: 3 g/10
    LocoDoco: 3 g/10
    Chauster: 3 g/10

That's just from a brief look at various runepages of professional level supports. Most of their pages feature 3 g/10 quints. A few [of their other pages] have armor quints, but not many, and they are generally specifically for melee supports like Blitz, Taric, Ali and Nunu.

This is because, as I said earlier, you often provide more for your team by having an extra ward every 4 minutes than by having a Chain Vest's advantage for the first 15 minutes.

Bethryn on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Yeah, that really is the key. Now I don't have a PHD in League-ology or whatever, but I'd bet my bottom dollar that we kill their nexus after the 4 of us win a teamfight and chainsaw our way through the middle of the map before their 5th manages to do the same.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Public Service Announcement

Last night an inhib of ours was down and we were grouped 5 at baron and then we see their Khazix bottom when they have no vision! And I am all like "we do baron now or we don't do it"

We didn't do it. It was late game, we could have done it fast, we could not delay and they could and this was the one chance we were going to get and we did not do it.

/fffffffffffffffffff

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Yeah, people just have really, really, extraordinarily bad decision making. I remember having this same conversation 2-3 months ago on here, and the point stands.

COST.
    BENEFIT.
    ANALYSIS.

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    k0g stream is up.

He frequents this forum and is a solid and fun player to watch. He is currently doing work on riven.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
This discussion has been closed.