As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    arent there mining drones? im outfitting a salvager/miner Osprey and looking for something to put in the drone bay... EFT isnt showing me anything that would go well ;p

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    still seems like alot of effort vs ratting/mining/salvaging for money ;p

I made 500m from one 0.0 hacking site.

That's enough to pay the game subscription for more then 3 months. I did it solo.

Admitedly, it was an extremely lucky, 1 in 100 stroke of chance that I got as good loot as I did.

Bremen on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    arent there mining drones? im outfitting a salvager/miner Osprey and looking for something to put in the drone bay... EFT isnt showing me anything that would go well ;p

Mining drones aren't terribly fast. Mining lasers are much more time efficient.

You could just use some combat drones to distract rats while you warp away... or EW/propulsion jamming drones for the same reason.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

You could just use some combat drones to distract rats while you warp away... or EW/propulsion jamming drones for the same reason.

does 'rat AI target drones first if they fire and you run?

hmmm... PropJam snares i assume? what sort of EW options are out there?

i wish EFT had descriptions on each module ;p

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Aoi wrote: »
    Okay, so I hit part 5 out of the "Mountain out of a Molehill" newb quest which needs you to "invent" (I think that was the term it used, I was falling asleep in my chair this morning) with the Perpetual Motion Machine I blueprint that you received from your agent with the last quest. The problem is, the agent makes it sound like the station you're in has the facilities for this task, and it didn't. It was only capable of being used for manufacturing. So I hopped in my ship, and tried every station for 6 sectors, all of which were capable of doing manufacturing only. I'm sure it's a totally dumb newb thing, buuut I'm wondering if there's an easier way to figure out what sectors have stations that will let you do different things like that, and if I was just being a retard and completely missed something when trying to work with the blueprint.

I had that same problem. However, I forget exactly what I did. I think there is a way in the Manufacturing Interface when you go to make it, you can have it search for facilities that are capable of doing that particular blueprint. You can set whichever one has the fewest jumps as your destination, and just run there, do it, and run back. Also, I had to then create it, and the BP says something about Villard Wheels, but I didn't need any to make it, just some Tritanium I had mined earlier.

Yeah, same problem here. What I did was use the little dropdown box that says "station" and changed it to "region". It'll then show you the closest station with the invention lines. However, be careful, because sometimes the closest station may take you into a low sec jump (I had to pick the second closest for this reason). Also, remember to bring along your blueprints and Tritanium...easy to forget.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Few newbie-ish questions:

1. I want to make a trader. Obviously perception and willpower are near the bottom, but what's more important long-term; intelligence, memory, or charisma?

Or did I inadvertantly put those 3 attributes in their proper order? :P

2. Why would I want to make a miner, which looks dull as heck, when I could manufacture, research, and sell stuff? Is mining really that profitable?

3. What attributes are best for a researcher or a miner, intelligence, memory, and charisma again?

4. Why low-sec 'rat hunt when lvl 2 and lvl 3 missions give me plenty of hulks?

Thanks for any answers, been playing for 2 months and amazed how little I still know...

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    im too noob to really answer all these but ive learnt a bit...

2) i think if you mine you wont have to buy materials to manufacture with since you can procure at least some of them yourself. if you just manufacture and dont mine you'll be buying alot of ore, i would imagine.

4) i think, again, its a question of seed money and resources, since looting various modules from wrecked pirates & refining them nets you ore, and using Salvage modules on wrecks will also provide a return in resources of another variety (tripped surge protector, smashed nano-fuckwhit, etc) that can be used to make stuff.
    also there is the pewpewing to blow stuff up being fun :)

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    nialscorvanialscorva Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    widowson wrote: »
    Few newbie-ish questions:

1. I want to make a trader. Obviously perception and willpower are near the bottom, but what's more important long-term; intelligence, memory, or charisma?

Or did I inadvertantly put those 3 attributes in their proper order? :P

The set of skills required to be a good trader is actually pretty small. You'll need seed money to get started, which requires flying combat ships. If you want to go really big time, you'll need a lot of ship flying SP. My trade alt is rediculously overskilled in trade and only has 1.5 mil sp in the trade group. Go with a more balanced build, skimping on Charisma anyway.
    2. Why would I want to make a miner, which looks dull as heck, when I could manufacture, research, and sell stuff? Is mining really that profitable?
    Can be, especially early on. It's a critical aspect of manufacture and selling stuff. It's also not bad in groups. Again, you don't need all that many SP in it to be rather effective.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I manged to get a 14-day Buddy-trial code and I've passed through the tutorial and am now docked at the station housing the contact your first agent pointed you out to. Is there anything I oughta do now when it comes to upgrading or skill-learning?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I manged to get a 14-day Buddy-trial code and I've passed through the tutorial and am now docked at the station housing the contact your first agent pointed you out to. Is there anything I oughta do now when it comes to upgrading or skill-learning?

Engineering or Electronics is always a good start.

Working towards Afterburners (if you don't already have it) is also good.

Are you more interested in combat or mining or what? Working on weapons skills might also be useful.

Or Learning skills, if you think you are going to keep the game.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well my guy is combat oriented though I only have just the one gun on my starting ship to my name. I'm just worried I'll spend time learning the wrong crap. Question-wise..

1) Do these afterburners automatically kick in when needed?
    2) If I wanna go mining to make some quick cash, is there any easy way to know if there's asteroids in the system if they're too far to show on that Overview window?
    3) If I wanna buy a new ship, do I have to buy it off of the Market?
    4) Is there anything in the game to let you know which stations you've left crap in? I didn't take the items from my storage bay in the first station.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well my guy is combat oriented though I only have just the one gun on my starting ship to my name. I'm just worried I'll spend time learning the wrong crap. Question-wise..

No, they activate by clicking them, just like guns. They use cap to run.

2) If I wanna go mining to make some quick cash, is there any easy way to know if there's asteroids in the system if they're too far to show on that Overview window?
    All the belts in the system show on the warp menu. Inside a belt, all the asteroids are in range of the overview. Alternately, go sign up for MerchI and you'll get money faster.
    From the market or from someone directly. Alternately, go sign up for MerchI and you can get most ships cheap. Buy a stack of skill books, podjump to 0.0, and you'll be set.
    4) Is there anything in the game to let you know which stations you've left crap in? I didn't take the items from my storage bay in the first station.
    The little safe button marked "assets" will show tabs for all, region, constellation, and system lists of items that you own. You can right click on the system name to set it as a destination in the autopilot.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I sort of want to write a 'by nubs, for nubs' guide, while the new player difficulties are still fresh in my mind. All the information here and on the MerchI forums (no GFWiki access, yet) is great, but it ignores a lot of the mundane questions that I had about how the game works.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    nialscorva wrote: »

No, they activate by clicking them, just like guns. They use cap to run.

All the belts in the system show on the warp menu. Inside a belt, all the asteroids are in range of the overview. Alternately, go sign up for MerchI and you'll get money faster.
    From the market or from someone directly. Alternately, go sign up for MerchI and you can get most ships cheap. Buy a stack of skill books, podjump to 0.0, and you'll be set.
    The little safe button marked "assets" will show tabs for all, region, constellation, and system lists of items that you own. You can right click on the system name to set it as a destination in the autopilot.

Cool, thanks for all this info. :) However, what exactly is MerchI? Is it some sort of PA-guild in the game?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MerchI is Merch Industrial, the PA forums corp. We work super-closely with the Goons, being essentially honorary members.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ah. But if I've only got less then 14 days, am I going to be allowed to hook up with them?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, you'll be far more inclined to sign up for a full account if you have a gang of people to play with. Eve is a very social game. Or an OCD autistic game if you want to sit in Caldari space and mission, but that's another rant.

Look at the first post of the other EvE thread in the MMORPG forum for more info on MerchI.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Right, I've been accepted and now I'm just waiting for full access to the forums to kick in. I hope I can take advantage of someone's kindness in the Adopt-A-Newbie program and be taught the ropes quick so I don't hold anyone back.

Now that I've been painted as a MerchI-member though, is it a bad idea to fly back by the starting area to take up agent-missions? And could someone explain the special space-ID system you guys use like '24yi' and other simular mixes of numbers and letters I see?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    MelMel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    We're not currently at war with anyone so you're just as safe running around Empire (the newbie areas) in merch as you were in the newbie-corp.

When you see strings of alpha-numeric gibberish it's usually someone referring to a player-owned 0.0 system. Only systems in NPC space (Empire, lowsec, and NPC-pirate owned 0.0) are given proper names, everything else gets a region name (like Providence, Scalding Pass, Detorid, or Tenerifis) and then random letter/number constellation and system names. Usually these will be truncated to the first few letters/numbers just for the sake of convenience.

Until you're ready to move out to 0.0 it's probably not worth worrying about, but if you're curious you can look up the system names in the people and places search thingy and bring them up on the map. Once you move out to 0.0 and start hearing the names on a regular basis you get familiar with them pretty quickly.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    And could someone explain the special space-ID system you guys use like '24yi' and other simular mixes of numbers and letters I see?

This confused me too, while I was still up in Empire in systems with reasonable names like Jita, Hoshoun, etc.

The thing is, most of the systems in 0.0 security space don't have real names; they're just strings of characters. RYC, 28y, 77s, Jv1v and the like are just the first few characters of the name of a system. Usually if you open up the map and search for whatever the first few letters are, it'll take you to the system people are talking about. RYC, KZF and 28y, for example, form the little stretch of space where MerchI usually operates in SP (Scalding Pass, a region in 0.0.)

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Awesome info. Thanks!

redfenix on
  • Options
    grumthorngrumthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for an interesting thread. I'm 5 days into the trial now and haven't logged onto WoW in that time. Couple of basic questions:

At the moment I'm tootling around doing missions for the Calderi Navy while training up my skills towards cruisers (I took some detours before starting down that road). The eventual aim being a navy issue raven (based on advice from friends). Is there a guide for this (seems to be a very popular choice of PvE activity). Tracking down agents seems to be a very haphazard affair. I know how to look at the corp display and find agents who will talk to me, are the missions they give random?

Following on from the above, I'm doing level 1 missions but it seems that the difficulty level is seriously wacky. I can't even get close to doing 'when worlds collide' but many of the other missions are trivial to the point of boring. I'm flying a Cormorant (with many rail guns) a friend gifted me at the moment, I imagine I'll have a cruiser in a few days (said friend gave me a stater fund that will easily cover a cruiser)

If I were to apply to MerchI (I'm not taking acceptance for granted, although I guarantee that I'm not a spy (but I would say that :) )) How many European timeslot players do you have?

What careers/roles are in desperately short supply? I'm sure you have vast squadrons of battleship flying types, what is needed badly and played rarely?

grumthorn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The great thing about EvE is that there's not really the Trinity of classes like other games. You can do pretty much anything you want and not worry about being useful or useless.

For PvP
    Tacklers are never turned away, and you can do it from Day 1. I cannot under emphasize how important this is. We had a newb MerchIe in fleet last night who got the tackle on a very expensive ship while BoB was doing hit and runs on us. His 500k isk Rifter caused the death of 100+ million isk ship. Do it. Learn it. Love it. See fleet ops and learn where to go from there. Pod yourself to the frontlines and people will give you the stuff to fly for free.

Longer term PvP:
    More battleship pilots are always good.
    Interceptors are basically career tacklers.
    Covert Ops pilots are highly desired.
    Anti-support cruisers, battlecruisers, or destroyers(coercer) are useful.

For PvE, it's not hard to do something useful. For an alliance like WANG, PvE specializations are more about keeping yourself in cash and ships, providing some help to other corp members, and supporting the war effort. Mostly the keeping yourself self-sufficient and helping corp mates. If it looks interesting to you, then do it. You don't lose anything but training time.

nialscorva on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    nialscorva wrote: »
    Covert Ops pilots are highly desired.

Hmm, tell us more about these Cover Ops, Uncle Nialscorva.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm not Nials, but I'm online and bored enough to type for a while. ;-)

Covops are essentially a dedicated scout ship; the eyes and ears of any serious fleet. They have an extremely limited capacity for combat, but can travel virtually unimpeded through the most hostile of territories. Their key feature is the ability to fit a Covert Ops Cloaking Device, which allows you to warp and move at full speed while remaining cloaked. This allows you to warp in on enemy fleets, or other important tactical positions and provide intelligence on enemy numbers/composition/activities/whatever your fleet commander wants to know about while remaining completely undetected. Also, when the FC sees fit, you'll usually become the designated warp-in point allowing your fleet to get the jump on the enemy from an advantageous position (also, with a cynosural generator you can open a cyno field (think wormhole) allowing friendly capital ships to come flooding in on top of your target fleet).

Covops ships also get a significant boost to the time it takes to perform scans, allowing them to track down hostile fleets and ships much faster. This is awesome because as long as you're scanning, you're decloaked and are vulnerable to being scanned out yourself. It also lets you catch enemies hiding in "safespots" that much faster.

Like I said earlier, Covops have almost no combat capabilities. An uncloaked Covops ship is probably the most vulnerable ship in the game outside of a shuttle/newbie frigate; if an enemy sees you and catches you, you are as good as dead. Still, some people like to fit a single gun so they can kill enemy pods should they happen to catch one, but a lot of the time all the highslots are dedicated to non-combat utilities (like the covops cloak, a scan-probe launcher, and a cyno generator). Ideally, you stay cloaked as long as you can and never reveal yourself to anything that poses a threat.

Despite being almost completely undetectable and able to avoid combat pretty much entirely, you're not invulnerable. Your main concern is being bumped and decloaked by any other object, be it an enemy ship, a wreck, a can, or a corpse. Anything you allow to get within 2km of your ship will drop your cloak and probably cause you to die. Because of this fact, there are certain situations (namely warp-bubble camps) that are particularly dangerous to covops pilots. It's not really worth going into details if you're just looking for a general summary of the ship's role, but it's worth taking into account that it's not entirely risk-free.

Finally, the ships' hulls generally cost 5-10million isk (depending on your race/type of choice) and the covops cloak will run you around 16million; so while the risk of losing one is significantly lower than any other ship you're looking at an un-insurable investment of at least 20million isk per ship.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    grumthorn wrote: »
    Thanks for an interesting thread. I'm 5 days into the trial now and haven't logged onto WoW in that time. Couple of basic questions:

At the moment I'm tootling around doing missions for the Calderi Navy while training up my skills towards cruisers (I took some detours before starting down that road). The eventual aim being a navy issue raven (based on advice from friends). Is there a guide for this (seems to be a very popular choice of PvE activity). Tracking down agents seems to be a very haphazard affair. I know how to look at the corp display and find agents who will talk to me, are the missions they give random?
    they are somewhat random. each agent will have three attributes: agent level, agent quality, and agent type. the first can be 1, 2, 3 or 4; you have to have high enough standings with the agent's corp in order to use successively higher agents. the same is true of quality; you might have enough standing to use a level 1 quality -5 agent but not enough to use a level 1 quality 4 agent. quality indicates how good the rewards for missions are, and higher quality is better; but higher level always means better loot, so a L2Q-20 agent will be more profitable than a L1Q20 one.

as for agent type, these are things like 'internal security' and 'surveillance' and indicate what sort of missions you are likely to get from the agent. the two I listed above will give you primarily kill mission--you warp somewhere, kill a bunch of things, and warp back. other agent types will be things like 'storage' or 'personnel'; these might also ask you to carry an object a few jumps in a certain direction (courier missions). information on missions is widely available; when you get a mission, try googling for the name of it along with 'eve mission' or some other useful keywords, you'll most likely get some useful tips.

as for a navy issue raven, that's certainly the 'endgame' missioning ship, but it is plenty expensive (800 million isk or so, not counting the t2/faction fittings you will almost certainly want) and you might well find that you are ready to shoot yourself from boredom long before you are ready to get one. I know that I can only do a few days' worth of missions before I start getting an itchy pvp finger, jump out of my implant clone, and x up to die in glorious combat.
    Following on from the above, I'm doing level 1 missions but it seems that the difficulty level is seriously wacky. I can't even get close to doing 'when worlds collide' but many of the other missions are trivial to the point of boring. I'm flying a Cormorant (with many rail guns) a friend gifted me at the moment, I imagine I'll have a cruiser in a few days (said friend gave me a stater fund that will easily cover a cruiser)
    level 1 missions are all equally easy with the exception of WC, yes; that's a special one. fortunately you don't really have to kill anything in the first room or two (if I recall correctly), so hop in a frigate or something, strap on an 1MN afterburner, and zoom the hell away from anything that hassles you. I haven't done WC1 in a while, though, so your mileage may vary.
    If I were to apply to MerchI (I'm not taking acceptance for granted, although I guarantee that I'm not a spy (but I would say that :) )) How many European timeslot players do you have?

What careers/roles are in desperately short supply? I'm sure you have vast squadrons of battleship flying types, what is needed badly and played rarely?
    we have a few euro timezone players, but you may end up hanging out with goons a lot during your primetime, since their euro/ANZAC contingent strongly outnumbers ours. if that doesn't scare you off, you'll be fine.

as for what we need--anything, so long as you want to do it. mrchi has more of a culture of carebearing than the goons do, so we won't laugh at you for mining/producing exclusively as much as they would; but if the bloodthirsty side of things is more to your liking you will have plenty of company. the important thing is that you have fun--if xing up and dying in a frigate isn't your speed, no one will make you.

that is a lot of words right there

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

also this is pretty bad advice =/

if it's a dedicated mining osprey, you should def. have mining drones (as many as you have the skill for) to increase your overall yield, and just warp away if rats show up, since you're not going to be able to keep them from killing an osprey with any amount of drones

you shouldn't try to make a 'salvager/mining osprey'; ships that are fit to do one specific thing are the name of the game. after a small amount of time it will be trivial to buy and fit a dedicated salvager--a lot of people use a destroyer with 4x tractor beams 4x salvagers, for example

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Don't we have some program now to give newbies tackler frigates in 0.0?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Don't we have some program now to give newbies tackler frigates in 0.0?

Yes! Ask for your local Fleshreaper Squadron representative in the corp chat channel for details.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Mel wrote: »
    words

Another thing I didn't mention in that wall of text:

Covops aren't combat ships, but they're a prerequisite for Force/Combat Recons which are. Where Covops are all about quickly scanning and maneuvering a system tracking enemy targets, Force Recons are Cruiser-based e-war specialists with the ability to field a moderate offensive weapon load as well as equip and use a Covert Ops cloak. They're not as useful for fleet operations, but excel at solo or small-gang ganking. If you've played WoW, they're equivalent to stun-lock Rogues. You can sneak up and observe a target, decloak and engage at the opportune moment, lock down their offensive capabilities with e-war modules, and kill them (sort of slowly) while they're rendered defenseless. If you like pirate style PvP (or privateering/economic disruption/blackops, if you prefer a more noble pretense), these things are absolutely evil.

Combat Recons are like Force Recons without the Covops cloak and more room for guns and e-war modules. Less surprise, but more pew-pew and lock-down.

These guys also take a while to get into (skill-wise), so it's more of a long-term goal, but should you go the covops route you have them to look forward to.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the cogent and detailed replies. I think what I'll do is spend another week or 2 in high sec missioning to get myself fully integrated into an EVE mindset and develop some kind of cash reserves then head out your way.

Two last questions:

I've found a few sites with utilities like shipfit and evemon that seem like fun, however a site with some basic 'pre-made' ship fitouts so I have a starting point to work with beyond a blank slate would be useful. (Specifically, how should i outfit my new caracel?)

Lastly, is the server always this flakey? I cant get anything done atm.

grumthorn on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    grumthorn wrote: »
    I've found a few sites with utilities like shipfit and evemon that seem like fun, however a site with some basic 'pre-made' ship fitouts so I have a starting point to work with beyond a blank slate would be useful. (Specifically, how should i outfit my new caracel?)

Answering own question: http://www.battleclinic.com/eve_online/ship_loadout_browse.php has a bunch of suggested layouts, some are probably rubbish but at least I get a glimpse of the thought processes.

grumthorn on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fitting ships isn't too bad.

1) Decide what you want. Gank (Damage), Tank, Tackle, Electronic Warfare, or a mix. Note that an effective mix of all of the above is almost impossible. Make sure you're looking at ship bonuses. If a ship has bonuses to missiles, fit the missile launcher slots first. If it has bonuses to armor resists, fit a tank first.
    2) Don't fit more than three of any mod that is subject to a stacking penalty. Most modules are subject to a stacking penalty, with the exceptions of modules that give more armor/shield hit points. Anything that lowers recharge rates actually gets *better* the more of them you have. Notable modules that do have stacking penalties are damage modules and resist modules (Except a damage control, but only one of those works at a time).
    3) Choose an armor tank or shield tank. Don't mix the two. If you have shield tanking modules, putting a power diagnostic in a low slot will help more than putting an armor tanking module. If you have armor tanking modules, putting a capacitor recharge in a mid slot will help more than a shield resist module.

Those are the basics, if you follow those you should do fine.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    No the sever's not always this flakey, but they just did some sort of hardware change.

On a Caracal you'll want five of the best heavy launchers you can afford, an afterburner, a sensor booster, an invulnerability field (if you can't use one yet, get training for it asap), a large shield extender, and a medium shield booster. In the low-slots you should use power diagnostic units until your fitting skills are good enough to replace them with ballistic control systems. Named is ideal, but buy whatever you can afford to lose.

Battleclinic and the Eve-o forums have a lot of decent basic fittings, but they also attract a bunch of people with truly terrible ideas looking for attention/validation. The goonwiki is a pretty good resource for a newbie, but you can't get access until you've been in merchi for a month so a lot of good that does you.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    PapanunnyPapanunny Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Long-time forum lurker here, just saying "Thanks a ton" in a slightly sarcastic manner to all you WANG types (though the goons didn't help either). All this helpful information and the Great War has got me going through another trial period to see if I can stick with the game any better than I could a year ago.

Appreciate all the info, even if it's making me re-consider the digital equivalent of crouching in a dark alley with a spoon, a lighter, and a bad case of the shakes.

Papanunny on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Two things you need to make eve fun: cool people to fly with, and the ability to deal with loss. If you can do that, you're golden.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Two things you need to make eve fun: cool people to fly with, and the ability to deal with loss. If you can do that, you're golden.

the ability to not take it personally when you get called a cocksucking faggot by people you've just met can also be helpful in my experience

scrivenerjones on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's more specific to our corp and our allies, though, I doubt it's needed often elsewhere.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    That's more specific to our corp and our allies, though, I doubt it's needed often elsewhere.

To be fair if the people we were fighting had it they'd probably be doing better then they are now that the train is rolling again.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Here's a (hopefully) decent newb question; can someone here go over the various types of ammo that the launcher-class weapons can use? Like what's the difference between rockets and missiles and which launcher-ammo tend to be best for which situation.

Owenashi on