As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect 3] Operation HEARTBREAKER. Feb 15th-17th. Ban(she)e's a maneater.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It really depends on a lot of variables.

edit: that said, the bar is very low

Elendil on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Cool cool, none of the actual ME2 dudes that aren't from ME1 come up in ME3 right? So I need to get me, Tali and space batman out of the wormhole fortress of pain in one piece.

EDIT: Also how do I get the final crew member?

Albino Bunny on
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Cool cool, none of the actual ME2 dudes that aren't from ME1 come up in ME3 right? So I need to get me, Tali and space batman out of the wormhole fortress of pain in one piece.

EDIT: Also how do I get the final crew member?

Every party member from ME2 comes back in varying ways in ME3. Play how you wish, but I definately recommend saving them all going into ME3.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    And to save them all I need them all Loyal?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

You don't NEED them all loyal, but it helps.

Besides, the loyalty missions are the best part of the game.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

No, there are varying things. Like if Grunt isn't loyal, he'll generally survive any group activity because he's a brickhouse. Mordin enjoys dying even while loyal though, so send him back with the group that returns to the ship (although no loyalty there could kill him?). Most important is: get the notably important ship upgrades like guns and armor and pick the roles properly when you have to assign them.

• Options
    Okay coolio.

Also how get last crew member? I think he's supposed to be a Geth but I don't have his Dossier.

• Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Anyone want to play some multiplayer on the PC? I'm going to be blasting dudes tonight. Origin name is Meanredworms, and I'm fairly noob so don't have a ton of stuff unlocked.

Drool on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    Goddamn people in pugs are complete dicks. I get voted out of a silver group with my level 18 soldier. :(

• Options
    I've never actually being voted out of anywhere.

Also if they genuinely think you were in any way underqualified for a silver they're idiots in a massive way.

BTW, in multiplayer what do all the different infiltrators do well? Now I'm getting into the class more.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Okay coolio.

Also how get last crew member? I think he's supposed to be a Geth but I don't have his Dossier.

He's unlocked fairly late in the game, don't worry, you won't miss it/him/her.

• Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Okay coolio.

i dinnae want to spoil too much about the geth squaddie, suffice it to say he will turn up in the course of playing through the story

this spoiler is barely a spoiler at all but
    he disnae have a recruitment mission (well, kind of but not really, youll see what i mean) like the other squadmates and therefore he disnae have a dossier

Agusalim on
  • Options
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Okay coolio.

Oh, so what you're saying is that finding the IFF isn't going to take me to the end as the choice between squad building and continuing on would imply and I should do that to tottaly get Geth dude? :3

• Options
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Okay coolio.

Oh, so what you're saying is that finding the IFF isn't going to take me to the end as the choice between squad building and continuing on would imply and I should do that to tottaly get Geth dude? :3

whoa whoa whoa - DON'T GET THE IFF!!

That triggers certain choices with regard to the end game. I would recommend doing as many loyalty missions first. It slightly depends of course on whether you are a paragon (don't do IFF, do loyalties) or renegade (don't give a shit).

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Nevermind I'll just let this play out as nature dictates.

NOBODY ADVISE ALBINO BUNNY

I wanna see how this turns out

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Also man, I know it's in vogue to hate on the quarians, and I have never let Han'Gerrell remain on my ship

But when I think about it, I really just hate three of the admirals.

Koris is cool. Tali was trying desperately to avoid war. I can't blame the civilians, who don't want this war in the first place.

The quarians are pretty all right on the whole. Just Xen, Gerrell, and Raan....

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    ME2 mooks are a lot deadlier than ME3 mooks

bioware added in a ton of stagger/dodge/react animations that all cause an enemy to stop shooting at you in ME3

in ME2, enemies are basically turrets that do not react to you shooting them, ESPECIALLY if they're prioritizing moving to their pre-programmed locations first.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    In fairness, a big part of ME2's increased difficulty was due to Heinous Bullshit Mechanics

Any enemy with a flamethrower would spew Hot Liquid Bullshit all over you

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ME2 to me has literally for all the mechanics layered on top being the most pure shooter excercise in existence for a while:

YOU MUST DPS THIS MUCH (SAFELY) TO ENEMY BEFORE THEY FLANK YOU AND YOU DIE

That is literally all there is to it at least on veteran. Because you can't die unless you have no cover, you can't have no cover unless you're flanked and you can't be flanked unless you're not killing fast enough.

Also, group cryo ammo is fucking HILLARIOUS bullshit, stupid bullshit, of the highest order. In terms of fuffiling ALL of the above conditions of DPS, safety through CC and stopping the advance it does it all with essentially no cooldown at any thing your unit shoots that isn't armoured (and if they're armoured no other power would stop it to my knowledge anyways).

And Wyborn main reason I'm asking is to avoid going onto the greater web and getting spoilers up the ass. I'm trying to let it play out, I just want it to play out as happy roses for ME3 continuation purposes.

So how do I get Geth bro on my ship? I want to run him and Tali together in the name of awkward silence.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Save Tali's loyalty for after the IFF.

No others.

You'll figure out how to get geth bro. It's something where you would have to choose not to.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    So IFF doesn't take you to last mission.

This conflicts me so much, I want to research to optimise better to what goal I want to achieve but at the same time spoilers will likely make me sad.

• Options
    indra iii

nice

but ME3, bro

how about a wraith

just one even

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    cover

what is this cover you speak of

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options

This conflicts me so much, I want to research to optimise better to what goal I want to achieve but at the same time spoilers will likely make me sad.

Look, Wyborn is right, you shouldn't over-think this. But if you want rosy outcome for ME3, but you also want to see fun geth/quarian action, do everyone's loyalty before IFF except for Tali.

• Options
    cover

What classes that aren't sentinel or Vanguard use.

You know, those chest high walls that get in the way of manlier classes charges?

Yeah, thems my peeps.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    cover

What classes that aren't sentinel or Vanguard use.

You know, those chest high walls that get in the way of manlier classes charges?

Yeah, thems my peeps.

Ohhhh.

Also, in response to an earlier question, Arrival is a DLC. It's a set up mission for ME3 and it is...

a bit on the difficult side.

On my VanSan run, it had the only fight I never got around to beating.
    Object Rho, man. If it wasn't for the long leadup cutscene and the glitches, maybe. As is? No.

• Options
    I did it. 8-)

• Options

IFF doesn't take you to the last mission as such but if you go to it too early, things are going to go to shit

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    amiweamiwe Registered User regular
    I love playing as a krogan, especially after a few cups of coffee. BAM. RAR. AHAHA. FOR TUCHANKAAAA. Good game, Drool :)

• Options
    Cool.

So, ME3 Multiplayer question:

Infiltrators: Which species, what guns etc. etc.

I only have Drell as well as the default human dudes.

• Options
    I would like to know everyone's infiltrator thoughts as well. I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but I play a pretty good quarian. Also is infiltrator how everyone survives impossible objective waves while running solo?

• Options
    Krogan is pretty much hillarious.

Having 1K shields is night and day even if you (for some reason) are just playing him as a gun platform.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    The original 4 infiltrators are all designed as snipers. Your choice of kit really comes down to player preference. What skills do you enjoying? My own favorite out of the originals is the Salarian. He's got Shield Drain, which is useful for ensuring that you get a devastating headshot on some of the tougher enemies. Plus you can spec the Shield Drain to restore your own shields, adding to his survivability.

Some of the other characters in the Infil class are not necessarily snipers. The new Drell Assassin relies much more on his powers, and your choice of gun comes down to preference. Again, you can snipe if you want, but you can also just as easily load him with a pistol or AR or whatever you want.

The Turian Ghost is a soldier who can cloak. Put an AR on him and kill lots of dudes.

• Options
    My dream is to play an all-krogan team on Hazard Giant with the guns booming in the background. So krogan patriotic I get excited just thinking about it. :3

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    The original 4 infiltrators are all designed as snipers. Your choice of kit really comes down to player preference. What skills do you enjoying? My own favorite out of the originals is the Salarian. He's got Shield Drain, which is useful for ensuring that you get a devastating headshot on some of the tougher enemies. Plus you can spec the Shield Drain to restore your own shields, adding to his survivability.

Some of the other characters in the Infil class are not necessarily snipers. The new Drell Assassin relies much more on his powers, and your choice of gun comes down to preference. Again, you can snipe if you want, but you can also just as easily load him with a pistol or AR or whatever you want.

The Turian Ghost is a soldier who can cloak. Put an AR on him and kill lots of dudes.

I heard about the Ghost getting some BS AR damage increase from his cloak to be absurd damage wise.

I'll have to look into spamming out spectres and hoping for the Salarian because I tottaly play my SalEngy like a fucking sniper anyway so it wouldn't be that big a change.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I think the salarian is still my favorite infiltrator. Quarian female and default human are mediocre. Turian Ghost, geth, and quarian male are all incredibly good. Don't have asari or drell. Shadow is decent, but in practice I don't love the whole Shadow Strike thing.

Mantis/Widow/Javelin (move on up as you get 'em)
    Claymore
    Valiant
    Black Widow
    Crusader
    Saber
    GPS/Graal

are all good "typical" infiltrator guns. Shadow and asari are more powers-focused and probably warrant smaller guns.

Edit: Ghost doesn't get much more ridiculous damage than most infiltrators; he's ridiculous more because he can pop a shield regen consumable whenever, so he also has crazy survivability.

Elendil on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Lots of the infiltrators work well with shotguns too.

Geth are glass cannons who can see through walls. Shadows are like vanguards, shadow striking everywhere (always go for duration and bonus power with them). Huntresses get crazy damage on their dark channel. Drell can spam recon mines and homing grenades. If assault rifles are your thing, then slap a harrier on a ghost.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    amiwe wrote: »
    I would like to know everyone's infiltrator thoughts as well. I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but I play a pretty good quarian. Also is infiltrator how everyone survives impossible objective waves while running solo?

Human infiltrator with a claymore is still my favorite. I used to be able to 1-shot a brute on gold from cloak but I think they've raised the Brute armor a bit since then. I tried the same with the salarian but I just wasn't able to be as effective at tagging enemies with proximity mine as I was with cryo blast.

People usually survive crazy objective waves on solo by drawing all the enemies to the other side of the map then sprinting back to the objective without killing anything.

• Options
    People often use drell assassin to spam recon mines and homing grenades

And that's not a bad way to do it, on Silver and below

But on Gold you're going to want to use the Recon Mine to supplement your absolutely ridiculous weapon damage bonuses. You will kill as fast as a geth infiltrator but with more style.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    People often use drell assassin to spam recon mines and homing grenades

And that's not a bad way to do it, on Silver and below

But on Gold you're going to want to use the Recon Mine to supplement your absolutely ridiculous weapon damage bonuses. You will kill as fast as a geth infiltrator but with more style.

Spec PLZ :3

Also will this work well enough with a Widow II? At least in Silver.