As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All shall [chat] me and despair!

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Man what the hell? Nvidia just announced some stupidly powerful Tegra4 Android handheld

Oh no way somebody released a new, better electronic device!?

Ouya, that gamestik thing and now this.

Was the consumer world really clamouring for these things?

I'm waiting for my 3D Ouya glasses.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Man what the hell? Nvidia just announced some stupidly powerful Tegra4 Android handheld

Oh no way somebody released a new, better electronic device!?

it is okay the ouya could still be pretty cool jucar

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Okay, I found a store that has a machine that would let me load money onto an Edy card, which would allow me to subscribe to BB.net

Now I just need to figure out where to get an Edy card from.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Okay, I found a store that has a machine that would let me load money onto an Edy card, which would allow me to subscribe to BB.net

....YESSSSS load all the monies.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm going to go down to the store tomorrow and see if they need shifts covered. Problem is it's already after the holidays, they probably could have really used me two weeks ago when everyone wants some vaca but I was too busy making pies for sport.

In other news, finally bookmarking reddit was such a bad idea.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Bookmarking websites is a bad idea. If i want to quit the forums, I just unbookmark them.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Ouya could be cool, but they've got their work cut out making a case for the system. My own gut feeling is that this won't end well.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options

I am not sure if you can put more money than the monthly fee, but, it would let me register my card, which would be nice because I've probably put... I dunno around $350 into this game so far if I am being honest. And also lots of other neat fun features.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    what game have you spent $350 on, inq? that is concerning.

• Options
    i mean not concerning as in you're spending too much money, but more in that this game is a rip off!

• Options
    oh god is it blood bowl

you fools

• Options

I am not sure if you can put more money than the monthly fee, but, it would let me register my card, which would be nice because I've probably put... I dunno around $350 into this game so far if I am being honest. And also lots of other neat fun features.

Whats a single game cost?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ouya could be cool, but they've got their work cut out making a case for the system. My own gut feeling is that this won't end well.

Could it actually be cool, though? What is there about it that could be cool?

• Options
    A commercial for something called the 'Go Jo' hands-free device came on Discovery, and it may be the single dumbest and most irresponsible fucking thing I've ever seen them advertise on this channel.

Oh, look, a headset that clips your cell phone to your head. And it only takes BOTH HANDS to put this 'hands-free' device on. While driving. They actually play up the idea that normal earpieces are not legal for hands-free use in the car, as if there's a cop or a jury who won't bust your ass for being at fault in the accident you cause by doing dumb shit like taking a time out at 65mph to strap your cell phone to your head.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I am trying to get into battlefield heroes with my cousin and friend but deep down I am just never going to be into death match like I was in my quake 2 through BF1942 days.

I would rather play Torchlight 2 or an MMO or something a tabletop RPG.

@desc SPEAKING OF THIS we should make a date to sidequest!

Yes I want to investigate!

As far as I know I am around in the evenings this week.

rad, okay! do you think tuesday or thursday would work?

• Options

Border Break, its an arcade game. That is a ballpark guess, it may be a little high but I'd rather err high than low I guess. Money spends a little differently in Japan so I'd say it feels more like spending $300 (100 yen goes about as far as you'd expect $1 to go, but 100 yen is worth more than $1). I would be concerned if I wasn't saving 50% of my paychecks quite easily. I don't really worry about spending money when it comes to going out with friends, I just watch what I spend when it comes to the supermarket mostly, and avoid making big purchases if I do not need to.

When you have a free apartment, zero taxes and a large paycheck it's pretty easy to save.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Just finished Darksiders

That was probably the most Metal game I have ever played

Like if the characters of Metalocalypse created a AAA video game? That would be the game they made.

The comets at the end? I had to restrain myself from growling "Fuck yeah" and throwing up the horns.*

*I may have still thrown up the horns

• Options

Well you pay for duration, and you get more if you put in more money at once, capping at 500 yen so that is the basic 'unit' of play that people go for. Do one 500 yen session and then get off and let someone else play. 500 yen with bonuses nets you 1550 points which translates into basically 26 minutes of actual playtime. The game doesn't count against you while finding matches and loading levels so you are looking at a little over 30 minutes of time on the machine for 500 yen, roughly.

• Options
    Just finished Darksiders

That was probably the most Metal game I have ever played

Like if the characters of Metalocalypse created a AAA video game? That would be the game they made

:-O

I've got a copy of this, haven't played it. That's gonna change. Not tonight, but maybe tomorrow night.

• Options

Border Break, its an arcade game. That is a ballpark guess, it may be a little high but I'd rather err high than low I guess. Money spends a little differently in Japan so I'd say it feels more like spending $300 (100 yen goes about as far as you'd expect $1 to go, but 100 yen is worth more than $1). I would be concerned if I wasn't saving 50% of my paychecks quite easily. I don't really worry about spending money when it comes to going out with friends, I just watch what I spend when it comes to the supermarket mostly, and avoid making big purchases if I do not need to.

When you have a free apartment, zero taxes and a large paycheck it's pretty easy to save.

with a job i lived large but saved a ton so i understand

was just curious. that's a lot on an arcade game!

DO I NEED TO MAKE A MADE FOR TV SPECIAL ON DEVIL ARCADE GAMES

• Options
    Speaking of Darksiders I had the most rad thought earlier

If WB does buy THQ we could totally get the 4 horsemen in the next Mortal Kombat

• Options

with a job i lived large but saved a ton so i understand

was just curious. that's a lot on an arcade game!

DO I NEED TO MAKE A MADE FOR TV SPECIAL ON DEVIL ARCADE GAMES

Yeah, it adds up, but especially when I first got here and had not really integrated into many social circles yet it was a real great way to get me out of my apartment. And the game is really, really fun. I am also ballparking gas spent on getting to and from the arcade somewhat into my mental figure. I have to drive into another prefecture (think like a state) to play! Though it's not a very long drive, 15-20 minutes depending on if you get stuck behind a slow driver on these one lane roads.

• Options

Well you pay for duration, and you get more if you put in more money at once, capping at 500 yen so that is the basic 'unit' of play that people go for. Do one 500 yen session and then get off and let someone else play. 500 yen with bonuses nets you 1550 points which translates into basically 26 minutes of actual playtime. The game doesn't count against you while finding matches and loading levels so you are looking at a little over 30 minutes of time on the machine for 500 yen, roughly.

Hmm $5 for a half hour is actually pretty solid, but how does it work if you time out in the middle of a match? do you just drop out and someone takes your spot?

• Options
    Oh my god I would play the fuck out of that Mortal Kombat

And I don't think I've touched a Mortal Kombat since arcades were a thing that existed.

• Options
    Speaking of Darksiders I had the most rad thought earlier

If WB does buy THQ we could totally get the 4 horsemen in the next Mortal Kombat

I dunno. Mixed feelings about Sub-Zero being able to rip out the spinal columns of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse. How exactly do you do that to the Angel of Death?

• Options
    NES Die Hard up now

• Options
    japan is weird!

• Options

And I don't think I've touched a Mortal Kombat since arcades were a thing that existed.

Mortal Kombat vs. DC was a super great game in case you were interested. Very solid fighter.

• Options
    NES Die Hard up now

The only Die Hard games I give a shit about are Arcade, as in, the actual arcade game, and the PC game which was a third-person shooter way ahead of its time.

• Options
    haha oh god, i'm so going to watch this nerd beat die hard nes

• Options

Hmm $5 for a half hour is actually pretty solid, but how does it work if you time out in the middle of a match? do you just drop out and someone takes your spot?

If you time out in the middle of a match yeah you just get dropped. But generally you don't let that happen as if you drop out in the middle of a match you basically get nothing for points and items. If you were only like a minute or two short of finishing the match people just pop in another yen coin and finish it out. Matches are set to be 10 minutes long (or until one side destroys the other sides base) but most matches usually go the full distance. Often you will get near the end of a play session with some odd amount of time left, say a couple minutes. People use this time to tweak their mechs, set up what chips they want to develop next, unlock parts, etc. Also, you can quit your session early, even with time left on the clock, and that time gets converted into items. So, people usually do some tweaking of their mech or their pilot and then quit out with around a minute left on the clock to get a free item.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Tav wrote: »
    Abdhy, do you recognise the TV show this was done for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PBISfxoORj0

@Tav

Trygdekontoret, which is Thomas Seltzer's (of Turbonegro) strange sort of talkshow

EDIT: a yt comment explaining it:

ToBeVerified for 2 måneder siden
    [...] The TV show is a somewhat satirical debate and talkshow (with a bureaucracy theme, hence the archives and such). It's a rather popular and much loved show that many young people (16-35) watch. The show probably gathers very few straight pop music fans. [...]

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Anyone ever play the old Terminator PC game? Not 2029, I mean the one where you played either as Kyle Reese or the Terminator, and tried to find Sarah Connor first. That was amazing, and we need a modern update of it. Same open-world gameplay, but thrown in 2-player versus.

Edit: Talking about Die Hard got me thinking about this, because I first played these two PC games around the same time.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I was wondering, has anyone gotten letters from Mim yet? She mentioned that she was thinking that they would go out after a couple weeks of her being in boot, but that time has surely passed.

If anyone has, shoot me a pm or something. I was looking forward to having a pen pal.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    this fucking die hard nes thing is amazing

• Options

Mortal Kombat vs. DC was a super great game in case you were interested. Very solid fighter.

I pretty much play them until I have enough of a hang of the characters I like to beat the game then wander off to other games.

Like MvC3? I put in maybe 20ish hours to that game. Just enough to mess around in the practice mode bar filling for a bit on most of the characters and get good enough to reliably beat it with a few different teams.

Aside from local vs, which is a thing that very rarely happens these days, I just don't get into them much.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I always find flying to be pretty relaxing. It's time to sit down with a book or some music, maybe take a nap or watch some in flight entertainment. It's great once you're past security.

I hate security so much. If I ever start to grow a noticeable chest (which is not very unlikely) then the pat-downs are going to be hell.

Oh yeah, America. Worst I've ever had in an airport was having to take off my shoes and belt.

I got a pat-down once because I had forgotten to empty my pockets of unexploded ordnance. Other than, shoes and belt off and that's it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    hahahahahahahaa omg so good

• Options
    I would say Border Break is on the higher tier of costs when it comes to arcade games, there is also no possibility of chaining wins like in a fighting game or racing game to stay playing for potentially hours off of one coin. The upside of the game being one of the higher tier in costs is that the developers know the game is pricey and want to keep people playing so they are constantly adding new content and updating the game. It also means that generally only the older crowd plays the machines, which means less waiting time and that the machines are generally taken very good care of, which is good considering there are a lot of components that could potentially fail (any of the buttons, the stick, the mouse (especially the cable), the entire monitor is a touch screen, etc). It also gives the arcade good incentive to keep the machine in working order. I noticed one of the thumb sticks was starting to feel a pinch lose. Next time I came the stick was brand new (you could tell because the plastic had zero scratches on it) and was incredibly tight and precise.

• Options

Mario RPG up next

This discussion has been closed.