As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

i wanna know what [chat] is

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    okay so

if I do transition into graphic design

I don't think I will have a portfolio ready by May, which is when I hoped to quit

this is a sad realization

there's no reason you couldn't have a portfolio ready

I mean, I know you're busy being a new dad and married and stuff

but if you hunker down and cut your leisure time out to focus on it, you would absolutely have something to show for it in five months

I have a big project at work through April

also I am learning about the stuff

like the grid theory and the white space and the color and whatnot

I am wee babby

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Srsly, let's be honest.

Star Trek died with the last episode of Deeps Pacen Ine.

(I need to watch them deeps...)

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    saying you could give 2 shits or could care less implies the opposite of what you're trying to express and only makes sense as a backwards colloquialism

/english nerds

I agree with care less, but if you use the term "shit" to mean a meaningless quantity of caring, it still works.

But whatevs, like I really give a shit either way.

It's just funny because it implies, in my opinion, important things scare us into pooping.

We know it is important or meaningful on the amount of fecal matter we produce.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    wait wait wait

who is coming to norway

ftOqU21.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    true story

i once saw a pitbull with an assault weapon smoking a crack pipe urinating in public and making rude gestures to old ladies

919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    also skippy not to be a turd but aside from sort of having an interest, do you know how to do it/are you any good at it

my assumption is you'd need several years if starting from scratch to become talented enough to produce a portfolio that can snag you a decent job

but i know nothing about the creative arts industries so i am totes hypothesizing

Organichu on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I really wish I'd gone to see Merzbow when he played a pub here. It would have been amazing.

What do you do at that sort of show? Is it like a just hang out and drink affair?

I really don't know.

Especially since the other friend that would be playing too makes more upbeat electronic music. Like... do you dance until the noise starts and then just sit down while your brain is assaulted by sound waves?

The only noise shows I've been to was mostly people standing around with their arms crossed nodding along in silent appreciation. It's typically a "people there for the music" affair. The crowd is probably the same as what you'd get at most other harsh underground shows.

I'd recommend bringing earplugs.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    wait wait wait

who is coming to norway

we're all coming over.

i hope you have a spare room or two for us, Abdhy. you gotta show us your norwegian Hopstitality.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    okay so

if I do transition into graphic design

I don't think I will have a portfolio ready by May, which is when I hoped to quit

this is a sad realization

there's no reason you couldn't have a portfolio ready

I mean, I know you're busy being a new dad and married and stuff

but if you hunker down and cut your leisure time out to focus on it, you would absolutely have something to show for it in five months

I have a big project at work through April

also I am learning about the stuff

like the grid theory and the white space and the color and whatnot

I am wee babby

I know

I'm saying you could absolutely have a small portfolio in 5-6 months if you make the time

Are you just reading or are you trying to apply concepts?

wait wait wait

who is coming to norway

we're all coming over.

i hope you have a spare room or two for us, Abdhy. you gotta show us your norwegian Hopstitality.

this is a one-room apartment.

But my bed is roomy :winky:

ftOqU21.png
    one day i will visit norway and abdhy will try to be a good host but the first afternoon i'll be like 'i don't really want to go out drinking' and he'll hang himself in despair

Abdhy, I'm going on a black metal pilgrimage.

And by that I mean pour vodka into my eyes and push me in the direction of a blonde female.

(I'm not going to Norway.)

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    true story

i once saw a pitbull with an assault weapon smoking a crack pipe urinating in public and making rude gestures to old ladies

did he have a frosty

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    wait wait wait

who is coming to norway

we're all coming over.

Gonna keep us warm on those cold northern nights eh?

488W936.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    no work today just dental appointment

can't drink a soda dentist will know, will shame me

true story

halo+dog+gun.jpg

This image demonstrates an important element that has been left out of the gun control argument

canine assault weapons, like the one master chief uses, are a scourge on American society.

Organichu wrote: »
    one day i will visit norway and abdhy will try to be a good host but the first afternoon i'll be like 'i don't really want to go out drinking' and he'll hang himself in despair

I'd be down to do the tourist thing if you wanted to and take you sightseeing

visit the aquarium if you've got an urge to look at penguins

or catch a movie or go eating

or a quiet night in and I'd make food and maybe you'd take your clothes of afterwards

I don't have to "try" to be a good host.

ftOqU21.png
    I'll use my Irish charm to snag some Norwegianese tang.

FIDDILY AYE POTAETO

also skippy not to be a turd but aside from sort of having an interest, do you know how to do it/are you any good at it

my assumption is you'd need several years if starting from scratch to become talented enough to produce a portfolio that can snag you a decent job

but i know nothing about the creative arts industries so i am totes hypothesizing

yes so it is kind of a vague interest right now

I have a small amount of experience in illustrator and more in photoshop, and have designed things at work before and made graphics and stuff

and I have built some websites although that was typically design lite (more on the coding side)

so you are absolutely right, which is why I am trying to study up on the theory underlying the profession

my thought for how I might make the transition is as follows:

find a small agency, pitch them that I am an intern-level designer but a professional on the written comms side of things

so they should hire me and pay me X to do design half time and comms half time

where X is a salary that is more than they would pay a design intern, but less than they would pay a comms guy

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I'll use my Irish charm to snag some Norwegianese tang.

FIDDILY AYE POTAETO

ull freeze ur penor off

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Disney does some beautiful posters for their films.

nQ5MUl.jpg

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    true story

halo+dog+gun.jpg

This image demonstrates an important element that has been left out of the gun control argument

canine assault weapons, like the one master chief uses, are a scourge on American society.

I have to admit, I've been in a bit of foul mood here at work and that just made me burst out laughing. TY Van.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook

yes so it is kind of a vague interest right now

I have a small amount of experience in illustrator and more in photoshop, and have designed things at work before and made graphics and stuff

and I have built some websites although that was typically design lite (more on the coding side)

so you are absolutely right, which is why I am trying to study up on the theory underlying the profession

my thought for how I might make the transition is as follows:

find a small agency, pitch them that I am an intern-level designer but a professional on the written comms side of things

so they should hire me and pay me X to do design half time and comms half time

where X is a salary that is more than they would pay a design intern, but less than they would pay a comms guy

making less money

sucks hard

:<

or a quiet night in and I'd make food and maybe you'd take your clothes of afterwards

is this norwegian hospitality

mein gott

Corehealer wrote: »
    wait wait wait

who is coming to norway

we're all coming over.

Gonna keep us warm on those cold northern nights eh?

I know how hard the cold can be on foreigners. Would be terrible of me not to help out.

No, no, drop the clothes. It's warmer if we spoon without them.

ftOqU21.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    kaleedity wrote: »
    true story

did he have a frosty

even a monster such as a pitbull wouldn't go to wendys when there is a 5 guys nearby

919UOwT.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Can't sleep. Hngh.

rRwz9.gif
    making less money

sucks hard

I would rather make less money and do a job I like more

good luck skippy i hope your career plans pan out

i also hope you are making ayrab money in 5 years so you can fly me out to be your au pair

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    My doctor bullied me into getting a flu shot. She is so damn manipulative.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    making less money

sucks hard

that is good, i agree with that position

but less money still sux hard

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    true story

halo+dog+gun.jpg

Muzzle discipline?

is this norwegian hospitality

mein gott

if you came by, norwegian hospitality would be invite you for coffee at the very least. So if you go somewhere you know a lot of people remember that you will be having a looot of crackers and biscuits and crumpets and cakes and waffles and candy and coffee.

ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    My intense anger at the Japanese whaling "scientists" is tempered by the fact that the Japanese are also doing shit like

filming a giant squid in the wild

WHAT ARE YOU, AN ANTI-VAXXER?

I like her. Tell her the internet approves of her.

ftOqU21.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The horror!

PSN: Honkalot
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Can't sleep. Hngh.

Let me help. See this wonderful poster?

he3JHl.jpg

The eroticism of the exposed neck. The pink on black and white. The excellent tagline.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    true story

halo+dog+gun.jpg

That dog is so happy about being a weapon.

Not a care in the world.

making less money

sucks hard

that is good, i agree with that position

but less money still sux hard

well also I am married so even if my salary dropped 50% the impact to our income is less than that

This discussion has been closed.