As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    @cormac

Don't get a biostar mobo, there just such pieces of shit. look for something from Asus, msi, gigabyte, or asrock.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Asus rocks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    There's a very limited selection of H77 Micro ATX boards, and only the Biostar and the Intel have a PCI-E slot that wont be covered by my 6970 if I want to put a wifi adapter in. The Intel is $20 more, does have a PCI Express Full-/Half-Mini Card slot for a mSATA drive or a wifi card which is pretty cool, and a few other minor things. However, everything I've read about Biostar boards in the last few years has been positive. They offer a lot of value, similar to ASRock, but have picked up a bad reputation from a vocal internet minority. Until someone can provide me with solid examples of current Biostar boards being crap I see no reason to not consider it when it offers me everything I need at a great price.

The PCI Express card slot on the Intel does interest me to use for the SSD or a wifi card, but would the mini wifi card perform as well as a normal PCI-E card?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @Cormac - Eh? Virtually any H77 Micro-ATX board would allow you to install a 2 or 3 slot 6970 and a PCI-E Wi-Fi adapter. PCI-E slots are all electrically compatible with any card that is physically its size or smaller, so any of the boards that have x16 sized slots on the bottom (they run at x4, but that's fine) will support a Wi-Fi adapter there.

One of the reasons I generally shy away from Biostar isn't necessarily that I think the board is going to detonate, but because when I buy a motherboard I'm also buying good documentation, technical support, and BIOS quality. I don't think Biostar is the equal of other vendors in those arenas but, as always, YMMV.

Edit: And I prefer this Seasonic unit to the OCZ you're looking at. Higher quality, more efficient, not excessively expensive.

Side note: Has the M12II 520W unit always been multi-railed and I just never noticed? Not that it really matters, because as far as I know it's just a modular S12II that they slapped 2 OCP rails on, but I could have sworn it used to be single rail...

Alecthar on
  • Options
    Alecthar wrote: »
    @Cormac - Eh? Virtually any H77 Micro-ATX board would allow you to install a 2 or 3 slot 6970 and a PCI-E Wi-Fi adapter. PCI-E slots are all electrically compatible with any card that is physically its size or smaller, so any of the boards that have x16 sized slots on the bottom (they run at x4, but that's fine) will support a Wi-Fi adapter there.

One of the reasons I generally shy away from Biostar isn't necessarily that I think the board is going to detonate, but because when I buy a motherboard I'm also buying good documentation, technical support, and BIOS quality. I don't think Biostar is the equal of other vendors in those arenas but, as always, YMMV.

Edit: And I prefer this Seasonic unit to the OCZ you're looking at. Higher quality, more efficient, not excessively expensive.

Side note: Has the M12II 520W unit always been multi-railed and I just never noticed? Not that it really matters, because as far as I know it's just a modular S12II that they slapped 2 OCP rails on, but I could have sworn it used to be single rail...

Oh wow, I didn't realize the PCI-E slots worked like that. I'm not dead set on the Biostar and I've got a week or so before I order anything, so I might as well take the time to consider other choices.

I'm actually considering to GIGABYTE GA-H77N-WIFI Mini-ITX board or a few of the other Mini-ITX boards like the ASRock Z77E-ITX or the MSI Z77IA-E53. I don't have a particular need for Mini-ITX and the placement of the SATA ports might prove problematic in a larger case, but the Gigabyte offers a lot of value for about $120. However, the Intel BOXDH77EB Micro-ATX and a wifi card falls in the price range of the Mini-ITX boards and would work better in the Fractal Define Mini too.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Ok gang, i am trying to price a build out for my mom

Looking for a mostly basic build, doesn't need crazy horsepower, but it would be nice if it could run some things when i go home to visit. mostly photos, web stuff, office etc.

this is what i came up with. though i am sure there are better/cheaper components

Build 1
    AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket $109
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M $74.99

Build 2
    AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) $109
    BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99

Either would have
    SAMSUNG DVD Burner Model SH-224BB $15.99
    Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model PXD38G1600LLK $44.99
    CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 $59.99
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB $84.99
    BitFenix Merc Beta Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99

She has a keyboard and monitor and mouse, and I have a copy of win 7 to put on it.

open to changes etc. build 1 was ≈$430, build 2 was $410.

if it can come down from that that would be great

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Build one. trinity is a better choice for what you need and the asrock board has a better mix of features

You can almost certainly shave some dollars off the ram. Definitely stick with 1600mhz there but 2x4gig kits can be had at those speeds for ~36$

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    yea i was definitely leaning that way.

any alternatives to mix in or is that about as good as i will get?

comparative intel build?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So Haswell is slipping to June apparently :( I will hold out, I will not incrementally upgrade to Ivy Bridge in the mean time!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I really wish more BIOS had the option for different vcores for boot and normal operation, because it is really nice.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    yea i was definitely leaning that way.

any alternatives to mix in or is that about as good as i will get?

comparative intel build?

You could do either a sandybridge celeron or an ivybridge i3 and get passable video and a somewhat better CPU than the trinity chip will do. Intel's integrated GPU is still well behind what trinity packs though so if you expect this machine to need to handle any kind of 3d you're better off with the AMD.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I switched a few things around in my HTPC/Steam Box build, and barring any glaring faults I think it'll do nicely. I think I'll also get a Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard or a Lenovo N5902, but I'm leaning towards the Lenovo because it doesn't have a fiddly cover like the Logitech.

Cormac on
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of dropping some new components into my 5 year old PC, specifically:

Motherboard CPU and RAM - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-111-OE
    GPU - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-100-GI

Is there going to be any issue with running these alongside my roughly 5 year old power supply and hard drives, and do you have any recommendations on improvements?

Also, thinking I need to get a new copy of windows as I really need to do a fresh install and don't have any old cds, is WIndows 8 OEM the best bet?

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Hey guys, sorry for kinda fading away for a while.. I've lurked a litlte, but I've been busy and kinda just have been having delay after delay with the project from hell that is making a streamlined media center with my own slingbox-esque setup (if anyone has a TV tuning solution or experience with Verizon FIOS and wants to lay their 2 cents let me know.)

Another thing I'm gonna be building is an ITX media box. I'd like it to have USB 3.0 (I also need to find a new board for my HTPC, I think.. not having USB 3.0 has been more of a headache than I was hoping.) Anyone get any of those $40 board processor combos that were going around at Christmas? I missed out on it a few times, but ended up with one of the cheapo ITX cases, so decided it'd be the next machine I make.

Also, for those looking for deals, Tigerdirect has an awesome deal with a coupon for an I3 processor for $110. It's the best i3 processor, I believe (need to double check that.). Newegg also has an awesome shellshocker on a platinum efficency in-house power supply. Its a rebate and still a c-note, i believe.. So meh. Gonna catch up some, but if anyone wants to gimme any direct advice shoot me a PM might be best.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Anyone happen to know why my WiFi connection is at like 1.42mbps in an online speed test, while my wired ethernet connection is 34mbps?

It's this one, if it matters.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Anyone happen to know why my WiFi connection is at like 1.42mbps in an online speed test, while my wired ethernet connection is 34mbps?

Interference? Poor signal quality? How far from the router are you? 802.11n? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? Is there perhaps a wall consisting of a couple dozen microwaves all rewarming food between you and your router?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Yea, I'd say it's time for a new router, or at least to get one to see if it's radiation interference, or something easier to fix.. That's def a big jump, and I've just gotten through trying to streamline my own network, so I can give you a few decent links if you need.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Well only taken several months longer than I thought but will be ready to order the parts for my new build at the end of this month.

Most bits staying the same as the list I put together last year, but is the 212 still the go to CPU cooler? There are loads of options around that price but I'd like to go as quiet as possible without gaining temperatures ideally.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Silly question here about SATA compatability.

I've currently got an EVGA x58 SLI LE motherboard with SATA II/eSATA II capability. I'm looking at picking up a new SSD for Windows 8, but all the ones I'm seeing are using a SATA III interface. Would I be able to install one of these and just use it at the SATA II transfer speed, or would it be completely incompatable?

On a related note, does anyone have any recommendations on SSDs? I'm looking for something in the 60GB range, and I've heard good things about OCZ in the past.

• Options
    sata is backwards compatible. You'll be stuck at SATA II speeds but otherwise it'll work just fine.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Ok my dad wants me to put a graphics card in his system which is currently using on board video. Want to say it's an i3 530. He us running a. 24" monitor. Hoping for something under a hundred, he doesn't have an huge gaming needs, mostly Facebook type stuff. Do they still sell 6770s?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    sata is backwards compatible. You'll be stuck at SATA II speeds but otherwise it'll work just fine.

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks.

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Guys. Do we have a thread where one can check out pictures of people's computer/tv setups in glorious "I just cleaned this for the first time in months to take a pic" detail? I really need some extra motivation to get myself to move somewhere new, and I have a major hankering for a place where my primary living space has a view. Guide me to pictures of average people's computers/living rooms with a view, even if it's trees, a park, the building across the street, ANYTHING. I just want to be able to look out a window while gaming and see something other than my front door. I'm even considering...... AN APARTMENT (this is a big thing, because I'm a car addict and would miss the in-house private parking)
    Raisins_Face.jpg?1318992465

Varinn on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ok my dad wants me to put a graphics card in his system which is currently using on board video. Want to say it's an i3 530. He us running a. 24" monitor. Hoping for something under a hundred, he doesn't have an huge gaming needs, mostly Facebook type stuff. Do they still sell 6770s?

Yes, but if all he's doing is playing facebook games may as well just get a 6670. Or something even cheaper if you can find it. Don't even need a graphics card for flash games, really...

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »
    Guys. Do we have a thread where one can check out pictures of people's computer/tv setups in glorious "I just cleaned this for the first time in months to take a pic" detail? I really need some extra motivation to get myself to move somewhere new, and I have a major hankering for a place where my primary living space has a view. Guide me to pictures of average people's computers/living rooms with a view, even if it's trees, a park, the building across the street, ANYTHING. I just want to be able to look out a window while gaming and see something other than my front door. I'm even considering...... AN APARTMENT (this is a big thing, because I'm a car addict and would miss the in-house private parking)

There used to be a camwhore thread for workspaces and computers, but I'm not sure if there is one anymore.

• Options
    Something like a Nvidia GT430 would probably be fine, and Newegg has a couple different ones for $29.99 after rebate.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yes, but if all he's doing is playing facebook games may as well just get a 6670. Or something even cheaper if you can find it. Don't even need a graphics card for flash games, really...
    Cormac wrote: »
    Something like a Nvidia GT430 would probably be fine, and Newegg has a couple different ones for $29.99 after rebate.

yea, i don't know why he wants one, he just says the on board is struggling with his monitor and whatever he is doing. :shrug:

he tends to want things for the sake of wanting things and my mom was thinking of a new PC so he automatically wants something new.

30 is better thanks

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Varinn wrote: »

We had a thread for that here
    got buried a long time ago, but should be around
    But why does your house lack windows
    you could saw a few square holes and put glass on it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Deals like that make me really wish there was a Microcenter in Upstate NY.

• Options
    Deals like that make me wish I had a good excuse to pick up a new cpu

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

I was waiting for the price to drop below 200, then that showed up and my jaw dropped. AND you get 20% off any motherboard with the purchase of a processor. So it went from ~$390 on Newegg w/ tax to $320.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    What's a good basic motherboard to go with that? Not looking for anything fancy, no SLI, no overclocking.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/387627/Z77_Pro3_1155_ATX_Intel_Motherboard
    That seems to be good? I have no idea what extra money buys me with mobos.

captaink on
  • Options
    If you don't care about multi gpu or overclocking basically any h/z77 board from asus/asrock/gigabyte/msi will be fine. Intel also puts out some basic no frills boards and they tend to be nice and solid if you don't need anything fancy.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I was waiting for the price to drop below 200, then that showed up and my jaw dropped. AND you get 20% off any motherboard with the purchase of a processor. So it went from ~$390 on Newegg w/ tax to $320.

Where's do you see the 20% off?

• Options
    Well only taken several months longer than I thought but will be ready to order the parts for my new build at the end of this month.

Most bits staying the same as the list I put together last year, but is the 212 still the go to CPU cooler? There are loads of options around that price but I'd like to go as quiet as possible without gaining temperatures ideally.

@mere_immortal last I checked the hyper 212+ is basically the cheapest capable tower cooler around. amazon has them cheaper than elsewhere usually.

It won't be dead silent but unless you're overclocking a modern cpu will stay cool enough that the fan should stay nice and slow.

I'm currently using a pair on my xeons, which are 95watt chips at stock. They stay cool with minimal noise, ~45c or so.

There are a lot of other great coolers out there as well, but they tend to be more expensive

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    If you don't care about multi gpu or overclocking basically any h/z77 board from asus/asrock/gigabyte/msi will be fine. Intel also puts out some basic no frills boards and they tend to be nice and solid if you don't need anything fancy.
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=401042

This is apparently $70 with the purchase of one of those processors at microcenter. Seems like a winner!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Where's do you see the 20% off?

When you add both to the cart it's instant. I didn't see it either but a friend of mine turned me onto it.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I ended up with:
    Core i5 3570k 3.4 GHz
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
    And 8 GB of Ballistix RAM

All for $330. Nice.

captaink on