As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Selling car to a dealership?

seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay: I have a blue 06 Corolla. It doesn't have many miles on it, it's never been in an accident, and the only damage it's ever sustained are some minor hail dents. It's a great little car, and it's been fabulous for me.
I have to get rid of it. I'm moving to Canada in under two weeks, and I just won't have anyplace to put it (either here or there). I'll need the car probably until halfway through next week, which I would assume means that selling it to someone directly or putting ads in the paper and so on isn't really an option.

So, as far as I can tell, I'm left with selling it to a dealership/used car lot/etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? What do I need to watch out for? Tips, etc? I've never done anything of this sort before.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
seasleepy on

• Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    www.craigslist.org

find your city (or closest to it) and put an ad up today, it's quite likely you'll get some responses today even. it's quite possible you could sell it to a private party still. you can use www.kbb.com to try and get and estimate on what you will get for it via private party sale.

as for tips, know a general idea of what you should get for it. (see link above)
    don't just take the first offer you get, if you have to, shop your car around to a few places.

neth on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Check the blue book value for your car. You'll have to knock some off for hail damage but generally it'll get you a ball park figure for your car. (Tool around on www.bluebook.com for a while)

If you do take it to a dealer to try to sell, make it look nice. Washed, waxed, vacuumed... the whole 9 yards. You wouldn't want to buy a dirty car, you won't get much trying to sell one.

see317 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    www.carmax.com?

Don't know if they're any better than dealerships, as I'm sure both would rather trade then buy, but CarMax always has ads playing how they'll buy eitherway.

Went to a few in Chicagoland, looking for a car, and they seemed ok, no more or less shady then average dealership.

MichaelLC on