As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fuck DeBeers: Outsourcing And Blood Edition

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
Thanks to the wonders of the global economy, the majority of all diamonds, mined legitimately or not, now pass through a single city in India. The result is that up to a quarter of all diamonds on the market are blood diamonds. And nobody can tell which are which.

Thanks, globalisation.

The issue is that the polishers in Surat really don't care where their stones are from, and are more than happy to launder stones that come through the city. Nor is anyone in any position to fix the matter. Which brings us back to square one.

So, what can you do? You can try purchasing Canadian diamonds. Or one of the lab-grown diamonds now available, perhaps with a bit of your Lab mixed in.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You can always try just not buying diamonds, because fuck artificial scarcity.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I never fully understood the whole "blood diamond" thing. This issue is people mining them and selling them to finance wars, right? I guess I don't see it as that different from any other country extracting and selling is resources. I have never asked where any diamond I bought was sourced, and I doubt I would get an answer even if I did.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    To the OP: Do you consider this different from any other kind of "morally wrong consumerism" as was brought up in the Chik-fil-a threads? It seems rather the same to me.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah they monitor and have a floodgate on diamonds to keep prices high. I hear you should go for other gemstones because the scarcity is real, but who knows and I doubt it. We've had these threads before and it usually turns into anecdotal stories of "Im never buying a diamonds because of this, and girlfriend agreed, but then we walked by the jewerly store and googoo eyes, few grand later and :\"

The societal weight of having to get a diamond for your mate is very strong. So much its sickening really.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I like them. They throw off so much light. I don't only buy Mrs. SKFM diamonds, but the truth is nothing else has the impact of a diamond, imo.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    There are plenty of other gemstones that are legitimately scarce, and don't come with the baggage of the blood diamonds right? I've actually never understood what was so special about diamonds, corundum is much nicer to look at in my opinion.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I never fully understood the whole "blood diamond" thing. This issue is people mining them and selling them to finance wars, right? I guess I don't see it as that different from any other country extracting and selling is resources. I have never asked where any diamond I bought was sourced, and I doubt I would get an answer even if I did.

The problem is that these diamonds are dug up by slave labor in order to fund civil wars by warlords who use all sorts of unsavory tactics.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    First off blood diamonds are not usually extracted by countries, they are usually extracted by non-state actors using forced labor to do the mining. Diamonds are artificially scarce, meaning if not for the DeBeers monopoly they would be slightly more expensive rhinestones.

Because Debeers keeps the prices high, terrorists, guerrillas, gangsters and militias can mine diamonds using slave labor and acquired funding to keep conflicts going long after they would have collapsed. Since they price is so high, you only need about a suitcase worth of diamonds to make millions. Since its even more profitable to mine something if you don't have to pay the miners, human trafficking ensues, with guerrillas kidnapping people(usually kids) to be miners. That none of this benefits the local community is a given.

Diamonds can only be compared to drugs like cocaine and heroin in how scummy the actors are in acquiring them and how much suffering they cause.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Does this artificial scarcity apply equally to high quality stones, or is it really just them keeping stones with inclusions or which are not colorless or near colorless from being devalued?

• Options
    Also, it seems a little odd to dislike the concept of a diamond: or rather, our shared cultural opinion of them. We place importance on all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons, and diamonds are no worse a thing to fixate on than others. They actually have a lot going for them, but it doesn't make sense to evaluate their cultural worth based on practical value.

I think in many ways, diamonds are like a brand.

/offtopicover, back to blood diamonds.

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    You can get more light out of a glass prism than a diamond, so the sparkle isn't the reason you buy them, its the fact that they are a status symbol.

Personally I prefer opals, they are far prettier with their shimmer of colors, plus instead of supporting wars, I'm supporting some guy buying beer in a wasteland who is likely named 'Bruce' or something.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Also, it seems a little odd to dislike the concept of a diamond: or rather, our shared cultural opinion of them. We place importance on all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons, and diamonds are no worse a thing to fixate on than others. They actually have a lot going for them, but it doesn't make sense to evaluate their cultural worth based on practical value.

I think in many ways, diamonds are like a brand.

/offtopicover, back to blood diamonds.

Eh. The social obsession with diamonds have priced them so that their mechanical properties, which are quite useful, come with a cost disproportionate with the actual availability of them. So there is that downside to society fixating on them.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Due to their high value and portability, diamonds are not like other resources. You want to plunder a countries oil? You need to build the infrastructure and ensure stability and protect the fixed assets of the wells and pipelines. Warlord gangs can't do that, but they can run a diamond mine that's just a hole in the ground full of slave labour, and the total product will barely fill someones pockets to smuggle out of the country.

Conflict Diamonds are therefore potential much more destablising a source of revenue than other resources, and the demand is mostly due to inflated scarcity and luxury markets in developed nations. Since its a) not a necessity good and b) produces conditions where there are costly social and environmental side effects, why shouldn't people try and stop it?

We're valuing [less fucked up African nations] > [25% savings on diamonds for jewelry].

Edit: Beat :)

Dis' on
  • Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    You can get more light out of a glass prism than a diamond, so the sparkle isn't the reason you buy them, its the fact that they are a status symbol.

Personally I prefer opals, they are far prettier with their shimmer of colors, plus instead of supporting wars, I'm supporting some guy buying beer in a wasteland who is likely named 'Bruce' or something.

Yes and no. I think that it is really hard to disentangle the status symbol from the actual item because of how ingrained they are in our culture, but when it comes to actually buying one, the sparkle is the main seller. Almost everyone prefers a smaller brilliant stone over a larger stone with a big visible inclusion or which is cloudy and throws off little light, at least in my experience.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I may not like DeBeers, but they really know how to run an ad campaign. Prior to like 1940 or something, diamond engagement rings were not the standard. The DeBeers ad campaign changed that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I like Saphires.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Due to their high value and portability, diamonds are not like other resources. You want to plunder a countries oil? You need to build the infrastructure and ensure stability and protect the fixed assets of the wells and pipelines. Warlord gangs can't do that, but they can run a diamond mine that's just a hole in the ground full of slave labour, and the total product will barely fill someones pockets to smuggle out of the country.

Conflict Diamonds are therefore potential much more destablising a source of revenue than other resources, and the demand is mostly due to inflated scarcity and luxury markets in developed nations. Since its a) not a necessity good and b) produces conditions where there are costly social and environmental side effects, why shouldn't people try and stop it?

We're valuing [less fucked up African nations] > [25% savings on diamonds for jewelry].

Fair enough. Thanks for the information. I'm still going to buy them for my wife though, because she likes them. It seems to me that you'd need to make people stop desiring them as a first step, and that will be difficult. . .

• Options

Yes and no. I think that it is really hard to disentangle the status symbol from the actual item because of how ingrained they are in our culture, but when it comes to actually buying one, the sparkle is the main seller. Almost everyone prefers a smaller brilliant stone over a larger stone with a big visible inclusion or which is cloudy and throws off little light, at least in my experience.

So if the smaller more brilliant stone turned out to be a $20 fake diamond, you'd still buy it over a more expensive real diamond that has less color and clarity?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    The fact that we can make basically perfect synthetic diamonds, but people don't like them because they aren't "natural", is probably the whole part of this little shindig that makes me the most irate.

We can literally solve the problem of buying shiny stones without exploiting native populations, supporting a gigantic monolithic and cruel industry, or fueling warlords, but nope it is somehow not the saaaaaaame.

You can get diamonds made out of the organic matter of your loved ones how is that not much, much better?

But no, DeBeers instead invented a spectroscope so that they could distinguish between artificial and natural diamonds because without looking at the spectrograph they are impossible for even trained professionals to tell apart.

In short, fuck the diamond industry, buy lab-diamonds every day.

Science has solved one of society's ills

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    So, in terms of long-term solutions, what, if anything, can be done here? Can the US Government intervene (anti-trust case against DeBeers, embargo on imported diamonds, put pressure on India to crack down on blood diamonds)? Should the US Government intervene?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I managed to get married without buying any diamonds.

I'm awesome.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I may not like DeBeers, but they really know how to run an ad campaign. Prior to like 1940 or something, diamond engagement rings were not the standard. The DeBeers ad campaign changed that.
    Or the whole "Chocolate diamond" thing. For years they tell you "It's all about the Color, Clarity, Cut and Carat weight. Clear white is the best a diamond can get!". Then they figure they need to find a way to milk a few bucks out of all the crap-brown diamonds they've got sitting in a box.

• Options

So if the smaller more brilliant stone turned out to be a $20 fake diamond, you'd still buy it over a more expensive real diamond that has less color and clarity?

Well, that has never been the case in my experience. My wife actually has some cz earrings that were around $35 (I won't buy diamond studs because anything of a decent size is insane) and they look ok, but don't have the sparkle of the real thing. But yes, I would buy her what she liked the best. That said, we are talking normal jewelery, not an engagement ring. I would not go fake for an engagement ring under any circumstances. It would feel like a lie to me.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, in terms of long-term solutions, what, if anything, can be done here? Can the US Government intervene (anti-trust case against DeBeers, embargo on imported diamonds, put pressure on India to crack down on blood diamonds)? Should the US Government intervene?

Large-scale public awareness campaigns coupled with information regarding the superiority of synthetic diamonds.

I am legit not kidding.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

The US government isn't going to intervene. There's no oil there.

• Options
    Dis' wrote: »

Fair enough. Thanks for the information. I'm still going to buy them for my wife though, because she likes them. It seems to me that you'd need to make people stop desiring them as a first step, and that will be difficult. . .

Nobody is saying "don't buy diamonds". We're saying "don't buy blood diamonds". Which means either buying Canadian diamonds (since they are tracked much more closely than the useless Kimberley Process) or buying lab-grown diamonds.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Large-scale public awareness campaigns coupled with information regarding the superiority of synthetic diamonds.

I am legit not kidding.

So a shift in public opinion towards synthetic diamonds that will in turn create a market demand for synthetics? I like it. Are synthetics cost competitive at this point?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    MouserecoilMouserecoil Registered User regular
    I've never understood why people don't just have other precious gems (sapphires, rubies, emeralds) cut similarly to diamonds and use those instead, they cost like maybe a 10th as much and can still produce a lot of sparkle if cut appropriately. Also, pretty colours oooh

• Options
    The fact that we can make basically perfect synthetic diamonds, but people don't like them because they aren't "natural", is probably the whole part of this little shindig that makes me the most irate.

We can literally solve the problem of buying shiny stones without exploiting native populations, supporting a gigantic monolithic and cruel industry, or fueling warlords, but nope it is somehow not the saaaaaaame.

You can get diamonds made out of the organic matter of your loved ones how is that not much, much better?

But no, DeBeers instead invented a spectroscope so that they could distinguish between artificial and natural diamonds because without looking at the spectrograph they are impossible for even trained professionals to tell apart.

Your conclusion is faulty because you're ignoring the concepts of branding and authenticity.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

They even have their own word for describing things that have similar shimmer.
    Yeah they monitor and have a floodgate on diamonds to keep prices high. I hear you should go for other gemstones because the scarcity is real, but who knows and I doubt it. We've had these threads before and it usually turns into anecdotal stories of "Im never buying a diamonds because of this, and girlfriend agreed, but then we walked by the jewerly store and googoo eyes, few grand later and :\"

The societal weight of having to get a diamond for your mate is very strong. So much its sickening really.
    Anecdotal counter: My wife and I picked out her fake diamond ring together.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I would not go fake for an engagement ring under any circumstances. It would feel like a lie to me.

Whereas I'd argue it's only a lie if they don't know.

The problem is that even if you personally, and your partner personally, cares and would eater avoid diamonds, that societal pressure still pushes you to buy one for engagement rings...lest your marriage look like a sham.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I would not go fake for an engagement ring under any circumstances. It would feel like a lie to me.

The problem is that even if you personally, and your partner personally, cares and would eater avoid diamonds, that societal pressure still pushes you to buy one for engagement rings...lest your marriage look like a sham.

Those two points go together, don't they? The first goes to lying to your partner, and I agree. But the second is a bit more complex, and goes to what you are saying to society when you wear a stone that you know will fool people. Its similar to using knock off designer things. You give off an impression that does not match the reality, imo.

Edit: to be clear, I don't think this is necessarily that big of a deal, but there is a difference there.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    And what's maddening is the societal pressure itself is the lie, it's simply a marketing campaign designed to sell diamonds!

• Options
    And if "branding" is the reason to buy natural stones over lab stones, then we need to work harder to associate that brand with one armed child soldiers.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Those two points go together, don't they? The first goes to lying to your partner, and I agree. But the second is a bit more complex, and goes to what you are saying to society when you wear a stone that you know will fool people. Its similar to using knock off designer things. You give off an impression that does not match the reality, imo.

Edit: to be clear, I don't think this is necessarily that big of a deal, but there is a difference there.

The message you're sending to society is "Your false scarcity is bad and you should feel bad!"

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Your conclusion is faulty because you're ignoring the concepts of branding and authenticity.

Which are bullshit concepts pushed by DeBeers to preserve their cartel.

If you need help understanding how you should feel about DeBeers, please refer to the thread title.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

How is it any fault at all of mine if I'm wearing CZ and someone takes it upon themselves to assume it's a diamond and gets offended when it's not? It's not like wearing a knockoff at all. People are allowed to have jewelry not made out of diamonds. If other people want to get all upset about it then have fun. Just do it somewhere else. It's stupid to pretend that there's only one shiny colorless clear thing that can go in jewelry.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I am legit not kidding.

Public awareness campaigns have got to be one of the most useless things out there. There was even that Leonardo DiCaprio movie titled "Blood Diamond" and no one gave a damn.

At this point it's like breast cancer awareness. Who doesn't know about the pink ribbon campaigns and the marathons and the walks and NFL wearing pink? People know, they just don't care.

What's doubly damning is that the atrocities are taking place in Africa, which lots of people already dismiss as being fucked up and irreparable.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    Also, unlike a fake Coach bag, diamonds aren't actually trademarked. I'm wearing a thing that sparkles, that's all. As long as I don't claim anything beyond that, what's it matter if its CZ, white sapphire, or lab diamond?

• Options
    Also, unlike a fake Coach bag, diamonds aren't actually trademarked. I'm wearing a thing that sparkles, that's all. As long as I don't claim anything beyond that, what's it matter if its CZ, white sapphire, or lab diamond?

That I agree with 100%. I guess my issue is really only if people buy them intending to deceive people. If someone complements your ring, I don't think you need to say "thanks, it's a CZ!" but if someone actually asks (which is rude, of course) then you should be honest.

This discussion has been closed.