As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Discussion About [Alcohol and Drug Usage]

13»

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    God, I want to get some pot but I dont even know anyone who smokes and I feel kind of silly just asking neighbors if they have any or if they could call in their connection. My wife is laughing at how ridiculous we are. Can't even find weed despite living in Seattle.

Just sniff for the smell of a horse's ass near a club.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    David Frum writes this week's stupidest op-ed, but it's only Monday.

Marijuana possession and usage shouldn't be a crime, but it should still be illegal.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "I don't want to get out of my head: that's where I live." - Charlie Brooker

I drank a bit when I was younger, but haven't had any since around when puberty started. Beer tastes bad. Red wine was awful, but it allegedly varies a lot in taste.

As I grow, I blossom into what's really just a boring, sober type of person. Also a control-freak. I am afraid of both real life ability-debuffs and reduced inhibitions.
    I am terrified of my much drunker loved ones getting into accidents, making bad decisions, being abused, having difficult hangovers or becoming slightly dehydrated. It keeps me up at night, and distracted at day.

I remember that I am apparently drunk-type: laughing.

Edit: I'm surprised nobody made a polarity-joke, yet.

PLA on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Marijuana possession and usage shouldn't be a crime, but it should still be illegal.

I want to like David Frum because he's one of the not-so-old guard of conservatives willing to call shenanigans on the current incarnation of the Republican Party...

...but damn that article made me stupider for having read it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that article damages brain development in young people, causes readers to become socially isolated and perform worse in school and at work, and can even trigger psychotic symptoms that otherwise would have remained latent.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

I want to like David Frum because he's one of the not-so-old guard of conservatives willing to call shenanigans on the current incarnation of the Republican Party...

...but damn that article made me stupider for having read it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that article damages brain development in young people, causes readers to become socially isolated and perform worse in school and at work, and can even trigger psychotic symptoms that otherwise would have remained latent.

There's nothing in his argument that doesn't also apply to things like alcohol, tobacco, or tabletop gaming.

It's complete harblgarble.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Wikipedia wrote:
    People tend to conform to social expectations, and some societies expect that drinking alcohol will cause disinhibition. However, in societies in which the people do not expect that alcohol will disinhibit, intoxication seldom leads to disinhibition and bad behavior.[69]

I'd like to look at this: [69]^ a b MacAndrew, C. and Edgerton. Drunken Comportment: A Social Explanation. Chicago: Aldine, 1969.

PLA on
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:
    People tend to conform to social expectations, and some societies expect that drinking alcohol will cause disinhibition. However, in societies in which the people do not expect that alcohol will disinhibit, intoxication seldom leads to disinhibition and bad behavior.[69]

I'd like to look at this: [69]^ a b MacAndrew, C. and Edgerton. Drunken Comportment: A Social Explanation. Chicago: Aldine, 1969.

From my experience, this would seem to have some truth to it. Data is going to be a better indicator than anecdotes, but my time in Europe tells me that people who don't make a big deal about drinking act more responsibly when drinking.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Wikipedia wrote:

From my experience, this would seem to have some truth to it. Data is going to be a better indicator than anecdotes, but my time in Europe tells me that people who don't make a big deal about drinking act more responsibly when drinking.

Ehh... There are an awful lot of stereotypes about, say, Germans going on vacation to other countries, getting shitfaced and acting like toolboxes. My experiences tell me there is a bit of something to it, and it kinda fits with a more granular version of the above, where 'people in situations where it is socially expected...'

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    Wikipedia wrote:

Ehh... There are an awful lot of stereotypes about, say, Germans going on vacation to other countries, getting shitfaced and acting like toolboxes. My experiences tell me there is a bit of something to it, and it kinda fits with a more granular version of the above, where 'people in situations where it is socially expected...'

That sounds about right.

When people are allowed or expected to behave like asshats, you see a lot more of it going on.

• Options
    Sounds about right.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

What the fuck did I just read?

That thing was a mess of dumb.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

What the fuck did I just read?

That thing was a mess of dumb.

I always find myself wondering if CNN knows how stupid it comes off, or if the bad ratings are always just a shock.