As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magical Mystery Tour 2013 (Wed & Thu prePAX adventuring) SCHEDULE UP

punziepunzie Cookie PimpRegistered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
2013 Magical Mystery Tour of Boston!
Twitter: PAX_MMT Follow this to keep track of where we are in real time. Very useful if you want to join up midway through!

Who: You! And me. And other PAX peeps. AKA your future friends. (Attendees list below.)
What: Visit interesting places in and around Boston.
Where: Schedule TBD.
When: The two days before PAX: Wed 3/20 and Thurs 3/21. Traditionally runs from 9am to 5pm but you don't have to do the whole thing.
Why: See something of Boston other than the convention center and your hotel. And do it with cool people!
How: Boston's public transit.

Schedule Now with handy dandy map thank to @peetsnack.
Entry fees listed where they apply. Closest subway stop listed in the corresponding color.
Wednesday:
09:30 meetup at Boston Common (corner of Park St and Tremont St) (Park St)
10:00 travel time
10:30 New England Aquarium $18 (Aquarium)
11:30 travel time
12:00 lunch - Sunset Grill and Tap (Harvard Ave)
13:30 travel time
14:00 Fenway $16 (Kenmore)
15:00 travel time
16:00 Harpoon Brewery (Silver Line Way)

Thursday:
09:00 meet up at Boston Common (corner of Park St and Tremont St) (Park St)
09:10 travel time
10:00 Sam Adams (Stony Brook)
11:00 travel time
12:00 lunch - Quincy Market (State St)
13:30 Modern Pastry (Haymarket)
14:30 travel time
15:00 Museum of Science $21 (Science Park)

We'll be using the T (subway) to get around. You can by a pass for $18 that will get you unlimited rides for a week. When we leave the morning meetups, I'll be making sure everyone has a pass.

What To Bring?
A list of suggestions:
Cash Monies - Always useful! Please bring cash for lunch on Wednesday (to help splitting up bills and to make our waiter's life easier). Also bring small bills for tips and donations.
Charlie Card/Weekly Pass - We'll be riding the subway A LOT. It will save you some money if have either a standard Charlie Card ($2 per ride instead of $2.50) or a weekly pass ($18, unlimited rides for a week). Both are available at subway stations. (More info here: http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/) At the morning meetings, I'll be helping everyone acquire one if they haven't already.
Good Shoes - You should have these for PAX anyway. We will be walking up and down stairs to the subway, between the T stations and our destinations, and around various sites (museums and such).
Outerwear and Layers - It's spring(ish), so don't be surprised if we see rain/sleet/other water-based things falling from the sky. You can also expect cool or cold mornings, though it could warm up during the days. Layers are your friend.
Phone - You know, in case you get lost. Or hurt. Or you miss your best friend and need to hear his voice.
Water and Snacks - Our time is tightly budgeted. While lunch is worked into the schedule everyday, there won't be time to stop at convenience stores/coffee shops/what-have-you. If you think you may want a snack or drink, bring it with you.
A Bag - Bags carry stuff when you run out of hands. Whether you need a place to stash your snacks, store your extra layers when you get warm, cart around your favorite game, or carry souvenirs and toys you buy, a bag do it.
Buttons - Did you make buttons to trade this PAX? This is a good time to get in some early trading.
Schedule - It could be handy to have a copy with you. Especially since we no longer have trading cards with the schedule on the back.
Pens and Junk - General things that can come in handy: pens, paper clips, bobby pins, floss, duct tape. Stuff can go wrong. And you can play MacGuyver and fix it.
A Good Attitude - We're spending a day or 2 together. Play nice: Don't complain about things I can't fix (the walk/weather/late train). Don't start fights. Don't feed the animals. Don't be a dick.

Info in this spoiler is no longer relevant.
Voting:
Is done. Your opinions have been noted and the schedule has been made.

Potential Destinations:
Items in bold are places we went last year.
Prices listed are per each adult (and may be inaccurate until I recheck them all). Discounts are often given for children, seniors, students, and sometimes military.
Any notes about reservations are for my benefit.
Boston Tea Party Ships & Museum
What it is: 1 hour tour of tea ships and historic items related to the Boston Tea Party. Throw tea in the ocean just like Ye Olde Ancestors!
Price: $25
Hours: 10am - 4 pm
Boston Symphony Orchestra
What it is: 1-1.5 hour guided tour of Symphony Hall.
Price: $7
Hours: Wed, 4pm
Additional Info: A reservation for a group tour will need to be made in advance.
Commonwealth Museum
What it is: A museum specializing on Massachusetts history.
Price: Free! (I'm suspect donations are encouraged.)
Hours: 9am - 5pm
Duck Tour
What it is: 80 minute land and water tour in a repurpose WWII vehicle
Price: $32.99
Hours: ? tours don't start until 3/19
F1 Boston
What it is: Kart Racing (no blue shells)
Price: $10 for an F1 license and $28 to actually drive on the (cheaper) track
Hours: 9am - 11pm
Additional Notes: It's a bit out of the way since it's in Braintree and using public transit will take us about an hour to get there by bus. Must be 18+ with valid driver's license. There are also a bunch of other rules you might want to read.
Fenway Park
What it is: The Green Monstah! 50 minute tour of Red Sox home field (I don't know sports, so if my terminology is wrong, write a post to call me out on it and flog me).
Price: $16
Hours: 11am - 6pm at each hour (maybe longer, as it will only tell me the winter hours now)
Franklin Zoo
What it is: A zoo. Look at the animals.
Price: $17
Hours: 10am-4pm
Additional Notes: Animal exhibits include Tropical Forrest, Giraffe Savannah, Kalahari Kingdom, Serengeti Crossing, Tiger Tales, Franklin Farm, and Outback Trail. Read more here.
Freedom Trail
What it is: A walking tour of historic Boston sites. Roughly 2.5 miles in 90 minutes
Price: $13 for guided tour (plus admission to some sites)
Hours: 12pm or 1:00pm (maybe more options as the summer season starts in April, but it won't show that schedule yet)
Additional Notes: We can do a self-guided tour to avoid the $12 ticket price, but it's less fun.
Spots on the Trail:
Boston Common
State House
Park Street Church
Granary Burying Ground
King’s Chapel
King’s Chapel Burying Ground
Benjamin Franklin Statue/Boston Latin School (Oldest Public School)
Old Corner Book Store
Old South Meeting House ($6)
Old State House ($7.50)
Site of Boston Massacre
Faneuil Hall
Paul Revere House ($3.50)
Old North Church
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground
Bunker Hill Monument
USS Constitution
Additional Notes: We can take the Boston Town Crier tour instead. It seems nearly identical, but shows more hours and costs $1 more.
Gibson House Museum
What it is: Museum of a late 1800's row house
Price: $9 guided tour
Hours: 1pm, 2pm, 3pm
Additional Notes: Museum is 4 floors and has no elevator. Cash or check ONLY, no cards accepted! Group of 12+ needs an advance reservation.
Harpoon Brewery
What it is: Narrated tasting (proper brewery tours are only on weekends)
Price: Free!
Hours: 2pm and 4pm
Additional Notes: Since it's a tasting, it may be only 21+. The website doesn't say.
Harvard Museum of Natural History
What it is: Another Museum. Exhibits on dinosaurs, fossils, evolution, minerals, and the glass flowers.
Price: $12 (includes admission to Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology)
Institute of Contemporary Art
What is it: An art museum. They claim even the architecture of the building is interesting and noteworthy.
Price: $15
Hours: Wed 10am - 5pm, Thu 10am - 9pm
Isabella Sewart Gardner Museum
What it is: Art in a 3 story “Venetian-style palace” with courtyard
Price: $15
Hours: 11am - 5pm (open until 9pm on Thursday)
Additional Notes: They just added a new wing. $2 discount if you visit here and the Museum of Fine Arts within 2 days. Bonus: the website says if your name is Isabella, you get in free :P
JFK Presidential Library & Museum
What it is: Museum dedicated to JFK
Price: $12
Mary Baker Eddy Library
What it is: Library/museum centered around a female writer in the late 1800’s
Price: $6 each
Hours: 10am - 4pm
Additional Notes: Home to the Mapparium! A 3 story painted glass globe. (Viewable only by tour. Tours are every 20 minutes, starting at 10:20am.) Might be closed for renovations...
45-60 minute guided tours available, but only listed on the group rate page. I may have to reserve it (if we have a group of 15+).
Modern Pastry
What it is: Pastry shop in the North End.
Price: depends on what you buy
Hours: 8am - 10:00pm
Additional Notes: Last year people complained Mike's Pastry was too tourist-y so we can try this alternative this year.
MIT
What it is: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Campus tours, public art collection, museum (with exhibits on robots, stop-motion photography, and other cool stuff), and more
Price: many things are free. $8.50 for the museum
Times: varies depending on what we do. Campus tours are 11am and 3pm. Museum hours are 10am - 5pm. Art tours must be scheduled in advance.
Additional Notes: They periodically have some very cool-sounding events. Check out what will be happening when we're in town.
Museum of African American History
What it is: Abiel Smith School (first public school specifically for African American children), African Meeting House (the center of Boston's African American community in the 1800's), and an optional 1.6 mile walking tour
Price: $5
Hours: 10am - 4pm
Museum of Fine Arts
What it is: Museum of Fine Arts. Can't say it any plainer than that.
Price: $25
Hours: 10am – 9:45 pm
Additional Notes: Check the current and upcoming exhibits to see what will be showing while we're in town.
Museum of Science
What it is: Science!
Price: $21
Hours: 9am – 5pm
Additional Notes: The temporary exhibit when we'll be there is about Pirates and their illustrious booty. You can also visit the planetarium for an additional $5.
New England Aquarium
What it is: An aquarium. Look at the otters, turtles, penguins, octopi, etc.
Price: $17.95
Hours: 10am – 5pm
Additional Notes: They have an IMAX theater but we probably won't be there long enough to see anything (and it costs another $9.95).
Sam Adams Brewery
What it is: 1 hour brewery tour with samplings
Price: Free! (suggested donation: $2)
Hours: 10am – 3pm
Additional Notes: All ages allowed, but if you want to sample the beers, you must be 21+ and have a valid ID. International people, have your passport with you!
Skywalk Observatory
What it is: In the Prudential building, 50 stories up, 360 view of city. Audio tours available.
Price: $14
Hours: 10am – 10pm
Website: www.prudentialcenter.com/shop/shop_detail.php?id=64
Sports Museum (TD Bank Garden)
What it is: a sports museum
Price: $10
Hours: 10am – 4pm
Stone Zoo
What it is: A zoo. Look at the animals.
Price: $14
Hours: 10am-4pm
Additional Notes: Animal exhibits include Yukon Creek, Windows to the Wild (small birds, mammals, and primates), Treasures of the Sierra Madre, Barnyard, Himalayan Highlands, and the Gibbon exhibit. Read more here.
USS Constitution
What it is: guided tour of the world's oldest commissioned warship afloat
Price: Free!
Hours: 10am - 4pm (Thurs-Sun only)
Additional Notes: All bags subject to visual search. Valid government-issued ID required to board the ship if you're 18+ (you can still explore the shipyard without showing ID).

HI3789R.png
punzie on

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Let's chat. What did you like last year? What do you want to do this year? Are we hitting ALL the beer stops again? Do you have suggestions for new places? A few people insisted there were better pastry shops then Mike's. So where would you go instead?

HI3789R.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    mike's pastry is the standard tourist stop (you can always spot one by the mike's box they're carrying), but modern pastry is generally considered an equal rival. curious which others people like.

i'd also like to throw out there, regarding zoos, that the franklin park zoo is awesome but is in a pretty rough area, especially if you're going in by public transportation. i love it there, but personally i'd consider it a drive-to destination. the stone zoo is down the street from where i grew up! smaller though, and quite out of the way. technically public transportation accessible, but probably not worth the significant time it would take to get there and back.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    Had a blast up in Seattle, so definitely going to be on board for this. No suggestions since I haven't really seen any of Boston yet, but looking forward to it!

1tLJUH2O.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sam Adams at 10am was the best idea ever.

zerzhul wrote: »

I just need to remember that you guys need a pee break between that and the next thing on the agenda :P

HI3789R.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OemNp6hgX4

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    punzie wrote: »

I just need to remember that you guys need a pee break between that and the next thing on the agenda :P

Pfft, maybe the weaklings needed one.

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    *must keep code of silence.... MUST*

Alcohol as first stop is BEST idea.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I might finally attend one of these. Hearing beer first makes it more likely I attend. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Yes to both beer stops. And I agree with @tvethopia about Modern Pastry. That's my preferred shop when I'm on my own in the North End.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • LedaXILedaXI Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Even though we trailed you guys, Ikki and I ended up touring Sam Adams, and it was the best idea ever. I highly recommend doing that again. And this year we're going to try to join from the very beginning.

• mooethmooeth Registered User regular
    The beer stops were awesome. Sam Adams at 10 am was worth it just to see the guys there astounded to see so many people there on a weekday morning. Unfortunately I can't join you guys this year since I couldn't fly in any earlier. Alas.

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Not getting into Boston until Thursday, but I am interested in joining up with any non drinking activities.

• melzwaymelzway Registered User regular
    My son (he's 18) and I will be in Wednesday night so I'm up for touring the city Thursday. I only wanted to visit Cheers and the USS Constitution so I'm open and ready for adventure.

• AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    I'm not from Boston so I would love to tour the area with people who know where to go. The only place I went was Elephant and Castle, which was fun.

• KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    I'd be up for a Boston adventure!

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    8D

7B14287.png
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    Posting just to say I'll be involved just like the last two years. Wouldn't miss it!

• gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    For those of us who might be arriving in the mid-afternoon on Thursday, will there be an option to join up?

There will be a schedule posted at some point, and it's always "join/leave at will". The group will try to make it to the scheduled places at the scheduled time, and actual progress will be noted via the twitter account, so you shouldn't have any issues finding the group thursday afternoon if you follow it on twitter.

• VegaObscuraVegaObscura Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% on my schedule yet, but I'd definitely be interested in the Harpoon and Sam Adams tastings. I've been meaning to check those out, but haven't had an excuse yet.

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I should be there Thursday, and I'm trying to get Wednesday off from work as well.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    edited January 2013
    There will be a schedule posted at some point, and it's always "join/leave at will". The group will try to make it to the scheduled places at the scheduled time, and actual progress will be noted via the twitter account, so you shouldn't have any issues finding the group thursday afternoon if you follow it on twitter.

Yep that's pretty much the gist of it :)

And, Giga? You're fired from being navigator... Jk... Maybe :p

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    I have ALL THE DAYS OFF.
    You guys will have to put up with me whether or not you want to. Unless you can ditch me in the zoo.

• fullofgracefullofgrace Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Excellent! Hubs & I will be getting in early Wednesday afternoon and I thought we'd be too late to join. Glad to hear that we can catch up! :)

fullofgrace on
    I'm jessageek on Twitter and Tumblr
    PAX East Pics: 2010-2015 & Vids: 2012-2015
    I checked out tha websites and updated the info in the OP for all the places through the Museum of Science. Quite a few places have raised their admission prices since last year. I also changed Mike's Pastry (where we went the last 2 years) to Modern Pastry based on local feedback.
    I'm planning on starting location voting next week.

HI3789R.png
  • Liz SLiz S Goomba Symphathizer MARegistered User regular
    I live in Boston, so if you have any questions about places, feel free to ask. The breweries are pretty fun, as is a stroll through the North End (RIP Mike). The Museum of Fine Arts is great, but I'd recommend at least 4-5 hours there.

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    Emod and I are in, by the way. Especially any walking routes that take us by cupcakes.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Can't wait for this. I'll be there on Thursday so I hope one of the breweries are on that day!

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    Hubby and I will be joining the tour Thursday.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I'll probably join in at some point (that point is most likely to be the breweries) . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Khadour wrote: »
    I'll probably join in at some point (that point is most likely to be the breweries) . . .
    Yup, same here.

scottyb1218 on
    sig.php?id=222
  • profanitiprofaniti Brighton, UKRegistered User regular
    I would love to join this for the Thursday. : )

So apparently Harpoon will have finished renovations by PAX East time.

Oh good. All I could find on their website the other day was that were renovating, but no completion date.

HI3789R.png
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »

Oh good. All I could find on their website the other day was that were renovating, but no completion date.

OMFG WE NEED TO DO THIS (i hope they have ciders!)

7B14287.png
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    OMFG WE NEED TO DO THIS (i hope they have ciders!)
    They should have at least the Harpoon Cider on tap.

sig.php?id=222
  • RussellMeTimberRussellMeTimber Registered User new member
    I work / live in Boston and would love to join anything after 5!

• ifra88ifra88 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    me and my boyfriend would be interested in joining the tour on Thursday if we get in early enough =)

ifra88 on
  • Albedo12Albedo12 Woking, EnglandRegistered User regular
    This sounds like a great idea! I'm flying in from London on the Wednesday, specifically because I wanted to have a look around Boston beforehand. Now I know what I'm doing on Thursday!