As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - Bemoan the passing of the old thread, but celebrate the new!

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So, I'm probably getting a bit of cash from a property sale soon. Gonna pay some bills and maaaaybe pick up a
    second
    EVGA 690. I have a tri-monitor setup, and really want that 60+FPS at 5820x1080 dammit!

Also, in a fit of 'I have no clue what the fuck but it was a good deal' I got 32Gigs of G.Skill Ram. So much ram. Om Nom Nom

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Hmm... I should check to see if my RAM is compatible... since I have 12 GB.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    You're coming from x58? You'll be fine.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Wulf wrote: »
    So, I'm probably getting a bit of cash from a property sale soon. Gonna pay some bills and maaaaybe pick up a
    second
    EVGA 690. I have a tri-monitor setup, and really want that 60+FPS at 5820x1080 dammit!

Also, in a fit of 'I have no clue what the fuck but it was a good deal' I got 32Gigs of G.Skill Ram. So much ram. Om Nom Nom

Someone even sillier than me? I didn't think it'd happen. What kinda fps does the one card give you in surround?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Shii... My wife is going to take my mobo/proc but she has DDR2.

e: Oh well, RAM is cheap.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Give her the ram as well and just grab a pair of sticks. X58 will run triple channel but z77 only runs double channel. 2x4 should be dirt cheap, 2x8 if you've really gotta have a bunch of ram

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    I was able to sell off those 570s of mine. Made about 330 selling both.

combined with reward points from visa that i can use on amazon, it puts me in striking distance of picking up two 4GB 680s and selling my 4GB 580s to offset the cost.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Everything is in and I can POST and get in the BIOS just fine. Windows is not happy though. Something about my hard drive. I'm thinking that popping in my windows CD would help, but my disc drive is IDE and I've finally gotten a motherboard that no longer has it. Can I create a USB windows recovery disk? And if so, how? I am googling around and some stuff seems sketchy.

captaink on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Windows really really hates it if you change motherboard or cpu. You could probably do a repair install from a usb windows image. But really the best solution is to just reinstall windows.

Google for windows usb tool, itll be a link straight from MS. Id link it but on my phone atm

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    That looks like it's just for 7, I'm still on crappy old vista. Also I can't find my damn DVD now either. I am double boned.

captaink on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    mts wrote: »
    Ok gang, i am trying to price a build out for my mom

Looking for a mostly basic build, doesn't need crazy horsepower, but it would be nice if it could run some things when i go home to visit. mostly photos, web stuff, office etc.

this is what i came up with. though i am sure there are better/cheaper components

Build 1
    AMD A8-5600K Trinity 3.6GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) Socket $109
    ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M $74.99

Build 2
    AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) $109
    BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $59.99

Either would have
    SAMSUNG DVD Burner Model SH-224BB $15.99
    Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) Model PXD38G1600LLK $44.99
    CORSAIR CX430M 430W ATX12V v2.3 $59.99
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB $84.99
    BitFenix Merc Beta Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $54.99

She has a keyboard and monitor and mouse, and I have a copy of win 7 to put on it.

open to changes etc. build 1 was ≈$430, build 2 was $410.

if it can come down from that that would be great

Speaking from experience, if you go with an A10 you will not have any trouble running games, unless you're going for 1080p w/ all the fixings. Grab that, a non-biostar mobo (as others have pointed out) and maaaybe get a 500w power supply; I always err on the side of caution. Lord knows how long your mom is going to be using that thing, and PSUs wear out over time.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    captaink wrote: »
    That looks like it's just for 7, I'm still on crappy old vista. Also I can't find my damn DVD now either. I am double boned.

the win7 usb tool should work for vista as well, all it does is make the usb stick bootable and copy over the iso, if not, then here are some other instructions:
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181538-usb-bootable-vista-installation-flash-thumb-drive.html

As for not having the dvd: this download from dell should work, as long as you can find your windows key.
    http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/3317.2-3-microsoft-windows-vista-official-iso-download-links-digital-river.aspx

• Options
    I popped my motherboard and processor into my computer and now when I turn it on it comes on for about 1-2 seconds then shuts off... then turns on again and then shuts off endlessly repeating. I have removed everything except the CPU on the motherboard and have the CPU fan plugged in and the motherboard plugged in. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on??

• Options
    edited January 2013
    urahonky wrote: »
    I popped my motherboard and processor into my computer and now when I turn it on it comes on for about 1-2 seconds then shuts off... then turns on again and then shuts off endlessly repeating. I have removed everything except the CPU on the motherboard and have the CPU fan plugged in and the motherboard plugged in. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on??

I am going to guess the usual answer and you forgot to connect the aux cpu power cable, located at the top left edge of your motherboard.

I wonder if we could get something added to the forum bot that searched for the phrases `New motherboad, turns on, then off again in 2 seconds`and just reply with the answer.

Foomy on
  • Options
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhvctovy199fodk/2013-01-07 21.28.57.jpg

No it's plugged in. My PSU had the two 4 pins and they attach together and it fit in the top left.

• Options
    I just reseated the CPU and noticed that there aren't any pins on the bottom of the CPU. Is this the problem and/or when did that happen!?

• Options
    LGA type sockets the pins are in the socket instead of on the CPU.

As far as whats up other than trying to reseat all the power cables i'm not certain. Is that an LED post code display i see under your chipset heatsink? If so check what it's reading when you try to power on.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Well damn, that's a first time it wasn't that answer.

hmm well first thing is you won't post without any ram installed, so put at least one stick in.

after that I would see if any could be shorting the motherboard, see if any of the case could be touching a lead on the bottom of the board or something. You did remember to use stand-offs right?

if that's not it, then I'll try and think of what else it could be.

• Options
    I am using the standoffs. I tried my wife's power supply. I reseated the motherboard nothing is coming into contact with it... Is there another way to test this out? I drove 45 minutes to Microcenter... I'd rather not have to drive it again. :(

• Options
    Found my vista disk on top of a fucking bookshelf. Half of the problem solved. So optical drives are SATA now, or what?

• Options
    I think I'll call Microcenter today and see if they can test both of these parts. I might try and get the motherboard plugged into my wife's case just to be sure it's not shorting out on my case but I'm doubting that will fix the issue.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I think I'll call Microcenter today and see if they can test both of these parts. I might try and get the motherboard plugged into my wife's case just to be sure it's not shorting out on my case but I'm doubting that will fix the issue.

My brother swapped PSU's recently and had massive fun with cable management and then forgot to put his RAM back in at first...long shot, but you have RAM, yeah? :)

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Found my vista disk on top of a fucking bookshelf. Half of the problem solved. So optical drives are SATA now, or what?
    Yes.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »

My brother swapped PSU's recently and had massive fun with cable management and then forgot to put his RAM back in at first...long shot, but you have RAM, yeah? :)

I have tried with and without RAM.... IF there wasn't RAM installed it would still "boot" but it would beep, right? I also took the CMOS battery out and plugged it back in.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Xeddicus wrote: »

I have tried with and without RAM.... IF there wasn't RAM installed it would still "boot" but it would beep, right? I also took the CMOS battery out and plugged it back in.

Edit: Depends on your BIOS if you get beeps or not. I can't recall if no RAM fails POST or not now...anyone? (Not that it helps you solve your problem anyway, should be booting...)

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    WOOOW. I cannot get a hold of a human being when I try to call Microcenter. Everything is automated... This is horse SHIT.

Now on hold on their online chat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Well my options are: return/exchange both (if they have the processor in stock still) or exchange motherboard and hope it works... The person on the chat said he couldn't say for sure if they'd check to see which one is actually bad out of the two (though it sounds like motherboard to me).

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    do you have case fan controllers plugged in to your board?

I had issues when mine was plugged in. but once i pulled that, it booted up fine

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »
    do you have case fan controllers plugged in to your board?

I had issues when mine was plugged in. but once i pulled that, it booted up fine

Nope, all of my case fans are the standard molex adapters.

• Options
    Got a SATA DVD drive, going to have to reinstall windows :(

Since I'm an idiot and didn't back things up, I need to pull files off my original hard drive. I'm installing windows to a backup I had right now. Will I need to do any special shenanigans to boot up with two hard drives with windows installed? As long as the one I want is the primary, of course.

• Options
    I don't think so. In your bios boot options just ensure the one you wanna boot off of is first boot option.

Or use boot override

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    After a couple months of ordering the wrong caddy for the optical bay, my wife's macbook finally has an SSD in the primary spot and the original HDD in the optical drive. Tonight when I get home I'm going to install OSX on the SSD and clean up that second drive. I'm so excited to see the results and performance boost. The macbook is from late 2006 and it is showing its age. I'm hoping the SSD gives it enough of a boost that we don't feel the need to get something else anytime soon.

• Options
    This is finally finally making me get an external USB to back up movies/music/documents/game saves to, which is a good thing.

• Options
    so looks like Monoprice is getting into the Korean IPS 27" monitor game.

$390, which is a pretty good price, and you get 1 year warranty with a 5 dead pixel or less guarantee.

• Options
    That's not bad, although if I remember right microcenter has a zero dead pixel policy and theirs aren't much more. Still a solid price and it's nice to have more options in that range.

Do you know what kind of connectors the monoprice model has?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    PraetorPraetor [Redacted]Registered User regular
    xFzDm

Case has arrived, still waiting on the rest to be shipped. Damn, I haven't been this eager for PC parts in a looong time. Hopefully, everything comes in this week and I can get her built this weekend! Fingers crossed...

Will give feedback on monitor once I get it, it's one of the Korean 27" 1440p screens.

3DS FC: 3067-6095-3603
  • Options
    So now that I have to reinstall windows anyways, I was thinking of going ahead and installing it to an ssd. And maybe installing Windows 8.

Ssd: The 840 Pro doesn't seem to be worth the extra bucks over an 840. At least not for gaming and general computing. I'm looking at the 250 gb models.

Since windows 7 and 8 are both $100, might as well get 8 right? From what I understand its not that different from 7, and will be required for directx 11.1 or whatever.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    So now that I have to reinstall windows anyways, I was thinking of going ahead and installing it to an ssd. And maybe installing Windows 8.

Ssd: The 840 Pro doesn't seem to be worth the extra bucks over an 840. At least not for gaming and general computing. I'm looking at the 250 gb models.

Since windows 7 and 8 are both $100, might as well get 8 right? From what I understand its not that different from 7, and will be required for directx 11.1 or whatever.

If you're paying for it either way, may as well get 8. If you find yourself hating the Start Screen, just install Classic Shell and you'll never see it again.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    second

Someone even sillier than me? I didn't think it'd happen. What kinda fps does the one card give you in surround?

In stuff like Skyrim/BF3, I can get around 40ish with stock clocks. FarCry 3 gets high 20's to mid 30's with everything turned on. If I OC the hell out of it, I can get it to about 55-60, but it starts getting a little toasty.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!