As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The stair counter is marginal at best anyhow. It's been both accurate and waaaay off for me. Probably why they dropped it.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Upgraded from the FitBit Ultra to the FitBit One yesterday. Oh man, the One is so awesome. It's about half the size of the Ultra (it would be like if you broke it in half and carried around just the top), and the new belt clip is much more secure. I also love the new sleep wristband, it's made of really nice material. Plus the silent alarm ACTUALLY WOKE ME UP!

Is the One shower-proof? A friend mentioned some new FitBits the are, and I wasn't sure if he was referring to ones that are coming out, or the latest ones out now.

Edit: Never mind - it's for the new Flex - http://www.fitbit.com/flex

Looks nice, and may fit my lifestyle a bit better - I always wear a rubber bracelet, so this could replace that. No stair counter though.. but honestly I'm not really doing those anyway.

The One is Sweat/Splash/Rain proof, and submirgable up to a meter, so you can wear it everywhere but the pool basically. I don't even know where I'd clip it in the shower! :-P

I had stuff on my wrists so after the Flex was the only thing they announced I just splurged on the One. It makes sense to not count stairs if it's on your wrist, since your hands move up and down all the time.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    I had stuff on my wrists so after the Flex was the only thing they announced I just splurged on the One. It makes sense to not count stairs if it's on your wrist, since your hands move up and down all the time.

The stair counter uses an altmeter, which I think measures altitude changes, so it's independent of simple up and down motions. I certainly don't jump up and down stairs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. either way, it's not a huge loss. I wear watches and wristbands in the shower, so if I don't have to remove the flex, that might work well for me. Good to hear the One is resistant as well, though.

No, you're right, it measures altitude, but it can be fooled by elevators and large pressure changes.

edited January 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    No, you're right, it measures altitude, but it can be fooled by elevators and large pressure changes.

Huh, I figured it would have been fooled by arm motions, which is why they don't recommend wearing the One or Ultra on your wrist.

Good to know it's not!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Nah, it's regular steps that can be fooled by arm motions :) I'm sure the flex has some different accelerometer algorithms to compensate for that.

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    So much fitness love here. Today I started Starting Strength, which can be found in detail here: startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki. I'm liking it so far, and I feel that focusing on one thing (getting stronger) will help me stay focused.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    I was happily surprised today when I finally had a chance to weigh in. I'm about 20lbs over my ultimate goal, only 10-15 over my PAX goal... and 3 lbs lighter than this time last year (and I didn't have wedding and honeymoon to blame last year :P)
    Now that I've had my car replaced, I can spend my afternoons Doing something - so I'm excited that I'm closer than I expected :D

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Glad to see some more activity in the thread guys and girls! Less than three months from PAX and we all should be looking our best!

I'm totally down to meet up this year, I definitely regret not being there last year.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Shall we get a week-by-week goal thingy set up, with Thursday checkins, similar to last year?

Template could be:
    Goal: (This can be a weight goal, cardio distance or time goal, strength goal, whatever)

How do you plan on achieving this goal:

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator):
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21 (Final Weigh-In/Progress Indicator):

Throw comments in on each week to let us know what you did, what you liked, what you want to improve on.

I found this very effective last year in keeping me accountable.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Shall we get a week-by-week goal thingy set up, with Thursday checkins, similar to last year?
    Absolutely down for this. Thanks for making a template!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    That is perfect since Thursday is my usual weigh-in day.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    I'll throw my advice into the ring here and there, but not going to participate in the weigh-ins. Also, I'm down for another meetup.

I'm a fan - this was stupid fun last year :)
    Hoping I remember to weigh in, but I'll likely do what I did last time, which is weigh in randomly Hopefully once a week :P

Welp.. here goes:
    Goal: 210 lbs by PAX - Run @ 6.5 MPH for 30 minutes straight

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Tracking food, running on the treadmill in the morning. Will work in light weight training once I get my weight back under control (likely around 215-220).

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator): 227 - 10-15 minutes start/stop (no more than 10 minutes straight so far)
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Erg.
    Goal: 290 lbs by PAXEast

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Counting calories (really need to start doing this again). Gym 3-4 days a week. Kris Gethin weight routine with 20-30 minutes of dedicated cardio.

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator): 313
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

Actually counting calories is going to do me the most good, but my motivation to do so is nil. Remembering how enthusiastic I was about this last year is really making me feel guilty! Definitely need to get back into the rhythm so my attitude shifts.

Direwolf on
    5I7JEDi.png
    Direwolf wrote: »
    Erg.

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Counting calories (really need to start doing this again). Gym 3-4 days a week. Kris Gethin weight routine with 20-30 minutes of dedicated cardio.

Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

Actually counting calories is going to do me the most good, but my motivation to do so is nil. Remembering how enthusiastic I was about this last year is really making me feel guilty! Definitely need to get back into the rhythm so my attitude shifts.

Yeah, I've gotten back on the horse with MyFitnessPal and have already dropped 3 pounds.. just a mental adjustment required.. so easy to deviate and grab food.. but owning that I will log it and see those 320 cals I gobbled up in Fritos today for no reason makes me not want to do that again.

Remembering how enthusiastic I was about this last year is really making me feel guilty!
    I think we started this at 60 days till last year right? so this is just a buffer so you're Stoked by 60 days :P

and my turn

Goals: 130ish (lose my honeymoon weight), run a 27 min 5K

How do you plan on achieving this goal: The gym 4X/week at least with cardio and occasional weights, maybe trying Yoga, and calorie counting

Week 1 - 1/10: 146.7
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

edited January 2013
    Here I go:
    Goal: Get stronger. Going to track using my current best 3x5 back squat. On my current program, aiming to add 10/15 pounds to my lift a week

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Heavy lifting 3 times/week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 185
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

BaconSandwich on
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Well, I started Weight Watchers on Monday. It's been so hard, but I figure losing weight isn't going to get easier as I get older, so I might as well knock it off now! My goal is 20-25 pounds by PAX, which I think is doable. I plan on starting an exercise regiment next week once I've adjusted to this drastic change in eating. Wish me luck!

Goal: 130

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Weight Watchers and going from zero exercise to moderate exercise 3 times a week

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator): 155
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

I guess I should check in.

So, I weighed myself yesterday and came in at 204lbs (from 202.3lbs the week before). This was without, well, doing my "morning routine" before weigh-in. Can't force it. Haha.

Anyway, I was good to go today, so I weighed myself again and came out to 202.4lbs. That is 100% more accurate especially with all the hockey I played in the past week.
    Goal: Down to 190lbs by PAX East.

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Sticking to my decent eating habits and playing hockey multiple times a week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 202.3lbs
    Week 2 - 1/17:
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

bYf6vNQ.png
    Damn, getting serious about Weight Watchers and my walking paid off, dropped 3.8 pounds this week completely negating my crappy holiday eating habits! :-D

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    lacking motivation -_- but trying to be good. Hoping these weigh-ins help :)

ishtra wrote: »
    lacking motivation -_- but trying to be good. Hoping these weigh-ins help :)

Same here. I am on and off with being good or not lately. Hasn't hurt me yet, but it is time to buckle down.

bYf6vNQ.png
    If the weigh-in's don't.. allow my "get serious" stare to....
    2009_men_who_stare_at_goats_012.jpg

Goal: Get stronger. Going to track using my current best 3x5 back squat. On my current program, aiming to add 10/15 pounds to my lift a week

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Heavy lifting 3 times/week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 185
    Week 2 - 1/17: 200
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

I'm still feeling really strong, think I'll easily be squatting past my bodyweight (currently 265) by PAX time

If anyone is looking to get their arms ripped, I have a tip.

When you are waiting for your Kuering machine to heat up and then deploy liquids, do pushups using the counter. I am 100% serious. Haha. I started doing this a few weeks ago and am definitely seeing some results. Nothing major yet, but can definitely see some definition coming. I think it is hilarious. Waiting for hot chocolate to finish? GET RIPPPPPPPPED!

bYf6vNQ.png
    If the weigh-in's don't.. allow my "get serious" stare to....
    Love it :)

In other news - since the gym still isn't open, got my butt into gear and worked out at home. Did some DC3 and a bunch of floor exercises. We'll see if that and my decreased intake of everything delicious make the difference this week :D

redfield85 wrote: »

When you are waiting for your Kuering machine to heat up and then deploy liquids, do pushups using the counter. I am 100% serious. Haha. I started doing this a few weeks ago and am definitely seeing some results. Nothing major yet, but can definitely see some definition coming. I think it is hilarious. Waiting for hot chocolate to finish? GET RIPPPPPPPPED!

I used to do crunches and stuff during load screens while playing games.

Then I played splatterhouse.. and the 1 minute load screens made me pull an ab muscle after my 20th time dying.. :)

@BaconSandwich really awesome idea!

5I7JEDi.png
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular

Do you mean putting your feet up on the counter and doing pushups? Because that will get you RIPPPPPPPPED! I had to do that during yesterday's workout with boxes and that really does work out your arms.

Hello everyone! VGC here. I was somewhat active on this thread prior to last PAX Prime. I'm coming out of hiding now! 3 guesses as to what my New Year's Resolution is!

vgc wrote: »

Do you mean putting your feet up on the counter and doing pushups? Because that will get you RIPPPPPPPPED! I had to do that during yesterday's workout with boxes and that really does work out your arms.

Nah. I'm talking just standing far away from the counter, putting your hands on the edge of said counter, and basically doing standing push-ups like a sissy. Haha.

I mean, they aren't fully standing up, but you get the idea.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    10 days of Weight Watchers and almost 8 pounds lost! My schedule has been super hectic at work, so I haven't actually started any exercise, but hope to next week.
    Goal: 130

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Weight Watchers and going from zero exercise to moderate exercise 3 times a week

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator): 155.6
    Week 2 - 1/17: 147.8
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

Well, shit. Time to buckle down.
    Goal: Down to 190lbs by PAX East.

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Sticking to my decent eating habits and playing hockey multiple times a week.

Week 1 - 1/10: 202.3lbs
    Week 2 - 1/17: 203.8lbs
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:
    Week 11 - 3/21:

bYf6vNQ.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So it turns out Juneau has a really awesome gym: http://gopavitt.com/facilities.html
    Got signed up and got my ass back in my routine again. I've definitely got some catching up to do, I was only able to do 3 miles instead of the 3.5/4 I was up to when I was running regularly.

I was doing my best to keep running on the LeConte but working six hours on/six hours off while at work was just too much of an ass kicker. My sleep time was just way too valuable and I always felt exhausted when I was at home. I'm on a new ship now (partly to get away from that god awful work schedule) so I'll be able to work out regularly again! Huzzah! Also I'm eating mostly just home cooked meals now during my two weeks off. These books are fucking AWESOME: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-This-Awesome-350-Calorie-Meals/dp/1605291471

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    So it turns out Juneau has a really awesome gym: http://gopavitt.com/facilities.html
    Got signed up and got my ass back in my routine again. I've definitely got some catching up to do, I was only able to do 3 miles instead of the 3.5/4 I was up to when I was running regularly.

I was doing my best to keep running on the LeConte but working six hours on/six hours off while at work was just too much of an ass kicker. My sleep time was just way too valuable and I always felt exhausted when I was at home. I'm on a new ship now (partly to get away from that god awful work schedule) so I'll be able to work out regularly again! Huzzah! Also I'm eating mostly just home cooked meals now during my two weeks off. These books are fucking AWESOME: http://www.amazon.com/Cook-This-Awesome-350-Calorie-Meals/dp/1605291471

Congrats on getting back on routine! When I worked 18 on/6 off (yeah...) that really left me no time to even think about anything other than shoveling food in my mouth and sleeping. Glad you're on a better ship!

Hello everyone! VGC here. I was somewhat active on this thread prior to last PAX Prime. I'm coming out of hiding now! 3 guesses as to what my New Year's Resolution is!
    I was wondering where you'd went! Welcome back!
    Is your resolution to kick more ass, take more names and squat a heavier weight?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]

I was wondering where you'd went! Welcome back!
    Is your resolution to kick more ass, take more names and squat a heavier weight?

Heya PayneTrayne! Yes, yes, and yes! Also jumping the 42 inch high box. That's 106.68 centimeters for you Canadians.

Gradually getting back into the rhythm of going to the gym after work. Determined that new sneakers is probably going to make the most immediate improvement for me. Eating moderately healthier, but still not completely on point. Still, off to a decent start!

Week 2 - 1/17: 308.5 (-4.5)
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14:

5I7JEDi.png
    Goal: 230 by PAXEast

How do you plan on achieving this goal: Eating less bullshit foods and hitting the gym harder. More cardio time for sure.

Week 1 - 1/10 (Initial Weigh-In/Progress Indicator):
    Week 2 - 1/17: 256
    Week 3 - 1/24:
    Week 4 - 1/31:
    Week 5 - 2/ 7:
    Week 6 - 2/14:
    Week 7 - 2/21:
    Week 8 - 2/28:
    Week 9 - 3/7:
    Week 10 - 3/14: