As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
Off and on lurker. Didn't see anything on this, so I decided to start a new thread.

New game by CD Projekt Red (Witcher, Witcher 2). Initially announced a few months ago, but the official unveiling (along with the game name) was a few days ago. Link -

Official Website

This game is based off of the Cyberpunk rules and setting created by R. Talsorian games back in the late '80s. It's supposed to be a sandbox game set in Night City, and as is obvious from the title, it will be set ever further into the future than the most recent rules release (Cyberpunk 3.0). The link has the usual obligatory videos (Mike Pondsmith participates in the Reveal video, btw), wallpapers, and even a blog. No forum up for it yet, though.

Eumerin on

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    OP is missing pink jacket man. >:-(.

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Never played the PnP game, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what CD Projekt does with a cyberpunk setting.

5gsowHm.png
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I played the PnP RPG back in the day, and it was one of my favorites, so suffice to say I'm incredibly excited to see what CD projekt can do with this. It'll be interesting to see what sort of changes they make to the setting though, since the original RPG took place in 2020, and this one takes place in 2077. I can only imagine what sort of technological updates they'll come up with for the setting, and whether or not they'll deal with the effects of cyberpsychosis if a character becomes more chrome than flesh.

• EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    The original date for the setting was even earlier, though I don't remember exactly when. 2020 was an update, iirc. Cyberpsychosis might be gone. The most recent version, 3.0, essentially removed it. It still exists and is acknowledged within the rules, but cybernetic technology has improved by the time of 3.0, and cyberpsychosis is only an issue if you're using the older stuff. 3.0 is essentially a transhuman setting (morphs, biological pets, boxed brains that can swap metal bodies, sophisticated slave-rigged remotes, as well as new updated cybernetics). Based on the established date for the new game, I'm guessing that the game will be set post-3.0, which means that there's a high possibility that cyber-psychosis won't exist.

Just had a thought - I'm wondering if they're going to include any of the Nixon videos, i.e. Nixon resigning, Nixon blowing his brains out after resigning, Nixon mooning everyone after giving his resignation speech before boarding Marine One, etc...

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Never played the PnP game, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what CD Projekt does with a cyberpunk setting.

Same here. I love cyberpunk settings and I'm a huge fan of CD Projekt so hopefully the two will work well together.

JtgVX0H.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Hated the Witcher but liked the core gameplay. Hopefully the setting in this one will lend itself to a more enjoyable game for me.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    CD Projekt Red has shot to the top of my most beloved developer list with their downright amazing free updates to Witcher and Witcher 2.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for this.

steam_sig.png
    Little of the game was revealed but I expected more noise from PC Gamer and the like.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I cannot wait for this. If it's anything like the quality of gameplay and just everything else of Witcher 2, then they can just have my money now.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Little of the game was revealed but I expected more noise from PC Gamer and the like.

Announcements without many details or screenshots aren't really covered that much.

"Hey guys, here's a game you'll play 2 years from now! Here's two pieces of concept art!" isn't much to go on. It's fine that they announced it, and I'm getting it day one for the setting and because of CD Projekt Red's pedigree. Until they have something to actually show us however, there's not really much to talk about. Other than yay cyberpunk!

yay cyberpunk!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
    Yeah, you are right. It got the same treatment as Everquest Next. It was just a tease.

Good thing they don't sensationalize the information for more hits like other sites.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Yeah, you are right. It got the same treatment as Everquest Next. It was just a tease.

Good thing they don't sensationalize the information for more hits like other sites.

That's the stage that gets games into trouble. The public wants more information. But the developers don't want to overexpose it too early. And they need to be careful about what's released given the number of changes that can take place during the development process. Of course, at this point all that we really have is some very basic setting information. I wouldn't say no to some extremely basic plot information.

They are more interested in getting the game mechanics right for sure.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hope it isn't turn based.

• Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    I'm optimistic, as I have loved and played the hell out of the Witchers. Haven't even looked at a Cyberpunk 2020 book in a while, but I seem to recall that it had some of the most deadly handgun rules in any PnP RPG. The authors even claimed to have even studied actual street gunfights when designing to hit chances, the effects of cover and aiming, and damage. I think they had some of the sexiest area suppression fire rules, as well.

Of course it was clunky as hell.

And I enjoyed it. Hope this turns into something worthwhile, turn based or not.

JudgeZed.png
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Eumerin wrote: »
    The original date for the setting was even earlier, though I don't remember exactly when. 2020 was an update, iirc.
    2013. Yeah, about six months from now.
    By which time, the US was to have descended into your stock Max-Headroom-ish corporate-owned cyber-dystopia. (But the Soviet Union would still be around, of course!)

I wonder if they'll be sticking with the "chrome, neon, shoulderpads and parachute pants" future-as-imagined-by-the-mid-80s aesthetic. Seems like they'd have to, right?

(For what it's worth - I owned both editions. These were my teen years; I remember them well. And that's why I'll be over here, giggling.)

Commander Zoom on
    The original date for the setting was even earlier, though I don't remember exactly when. 2020 was an update, iirc.
    2013. Yeah, about six months from now.
    By which time, the US was to have descended into your stock Max-Headroom-ish corporate-owned cyber-dystopia. (But the Soviet Union would still be around, of course!)

The timeline gets adjusted every time a new edition gets released. The original edition didn't include the German reunification. 2020 did.

:P

On a more serious note, that might be one of the reasons why Mike Pondsmith introduced the Datakrash in v3.0.
    I wonder if they'll be sticking with the "chrome, neon, shoulderpads and parachute pants" future-as-imagined-by-the-mid-80s aesthetic. Seems like they'd have to, right?
    There's a couple of pieces of artwork up on the official site that give hints about the direction that they're taking. And, of course, the wall paper of the woman with spears popping out of her arms, though that doesn't have much fashion in it (she's wearing opaque non-descript underwear).
    I hope it isn't turn based.
    I have more faith in CD Projekt than that, though I certainly hope that there's a "freeze the action" button while you lay out your next set of moves.
    Haven't even looked at a Cyberpunk 2020 book in a while, but I seem to recall that it had some of the most deadly handgun rules in any PnP RPG. The authors even claimed to have even studied actual street gunfights when designing to hit chances, the effects of cover and aiming, and damage. I think they had some of the sexiest area suppression fire rules, as well.

Of course it was clunky as hell.
    Friday Night Firefight.
    Of course, one of the advantages of running games on a computer is that all of the "clunkiness" can be hidden behind the scenes.

I pulled out my copy of v3.0 last night and glanced at a couple of items, though I didn't give it a thorough reread. It's kind of interesting to speculate on the state of the world in 2077. v3.0 is set somewhen between 2030 and 2039. The exact year is a bit vague. That puts it 10-20 years after Cyberpunk 2020. Cyberpunk 2077 will therefore represent a jump of 37-47 years. And since CD Projekt and Mike Pondsmith are trying to make a logical extrapolation of how events might change over that time period, there's no telling how things will be different. But we can make some guesses!

So without further ado, some State of the World items from v3.0 (aka 203X), and possible predictions about where they might lead in 2077.

- The Fourth Corporate War resulted in the Mega-Corps being smacked down pretty hard. Arasaka, the largest and most aggressive of the corporations, finally pissed enough people off that pretty much the entire world turned on them. As a result, Arasaka no longer exists in 203X. Most of the old Corps are still around, but they're not as powerful. I'm going to guess, however, that by 2077, the Mega-Corps will be back. They're just too critical to the core of the Cyberpunk genre. And 40 years gives them plenty of time to get back on top of the food chain.

- The Datakrash was the result of a particularly unusual computer virus propagated through a backdoor in the architecture of the Net (said backdoor was put in place by the same person who also released the virus). There are two important parts of it, one of which will be mentioned further down. The part mentioned here is that it modified pictures, video files, audio files, and similar elements. The modifications didn't corrupt the files. Instead, they caused intelligent changes to the files. The result is that any records of events files that were stored online during the Datakrash don't necessarily contain the same record of events that other files purporting to show the same event contain. My mention of Nixon's resignation found in a post above is an example of this used by Mike Pondsmith. There are people who literally believe that when Nixon resigned, he blew his brains out. There are also people who believe that he mooned the audience. This is because the Datakrash left modified video files of Nixon's resignation that show him doing just that. Compounding matters, when Arasaka Corporation found out about the Datakrash, they released a highly focused airborne agent that dissolved non-acidic papers (i.e. pretty much any paper used over the last few decades). Arasaka kept their own copies of everything that they could get their hands on in a highly secure vault, banking on the fact that when the dust settled, they'd be the only ones holding now highly valuable records. And then said records were accidentally blown up. Oops...

I've no idea whether CD Projekt plans to address this. It might be ignored. It might be mentioned, but glossed over. Or it might be a critical part of the plot (i.e. you might need to retrieve some old, uncorrupted information).

- A second important aspect of the Datakrash is that it caused the Net to go feral. The exact explanation is a bit wordy, but logging onto the Net basically became awfully close to committing suicide. So while the old Net backbone is still in place, no one uses it. Instead, smaller networks, called Datapools, handle most of the traffic. Datapools are, by and large, isolated from each other. So you probably can't hop into your local Datapool and use it to hack something on the other side of the world. On the other hand, the Net is just too valuable of a commodity. So I wouldn't be surprised if by 2077 the old Net backbone is replaced with a new version that hasn't been overrun by wild, self-replicating attack programs.

- Night City was rebuilt using self-replicating nano-machines... that are now out of control. The process was supposed to work like this - the nano-machines would turn ruined (i.e. "dead") buildings into more nano-machines. Those nano-machines would then assemble themselves into a new building. The new building would send out more nano-machines to find other "dead" structures, and the process would repeat itself. Shortly afterwards, the nanos in the new building would permanently shut down - i.e., the building would "die". Do you see where I'm going with this, and where things might have gone wrong...? Fortunately, anything that moves is fine. The nano-machines ignore objects that don't stay in one place. Though if you fall into a coma for some reason, you'd better hope that someone finds you before more than a couple of days have gone by... And you're probably going to need to change your residence every few months in any event. I'm guessing that this will have been fixed by 2077. It's been over 40 years. Someone's got to have come up with a solution by then.

- Altcults are philosophies on life and how to adapt to the changes that technology has brought. Some of these altcults are heavily transhuman (the full-body borg altcult; the biomorph altcult). Others not so much (Edgerunners, Nomads). There might be traces of them still around by 2077, though I suspect that there will be something new to replace them by then.

edited October 2012
    Duplicate post

Eumerin on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I do hope they'll strive to keep the atmosphere from the pen and paper one. It was a little odd, the usual cyberpunk dystopia crap, but it had this awesome 80s punk/noir/Ihavenoideawhatthehell vibe to it.

And really, CD Projekt RED is one of my favorite developers, even if they can't present things live to save their life :P

It seems next week a new trailer/teaser is gonna be posted.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• KaensayKaensay Registered User new member
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Well, he did say "next week" last week.

Also did you just sign out on your own post?

steam_sig.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I'm very excited that customization ties into gameplay. We need more of that.

I hope we're also going to get character creation but I'm not holding my breath on that. Questions regarding that have been sort of brushed off.

They confirmed Thursday on facebook.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Well, he did say "next week" last week.

Also did you just sign out on your own post?
    Cyberpunk 2077 social marketing account located! Joins just to post news, acts as if someone who said something only slightly bad ("the trailer isn't coming for a little while") said something even worse than what they said, displaying a high degree of defensiveness about the game, signed their post (indicating they haven't lurked at all)...

Kaensay! Give us more details about this game you are selling!

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I have never been this excited for a game. The PnP game was fantastic, and I spent a good chunk of my late teen years in a campaign with some of my best friends and best people I've ever met back in the 90's. It is still the best designed game in terms of rolls and how things make sense that I've played. Sure, you could make it ultra complicated if you wanted to, but the base rules are still (in my view) fantastic (d10+skill+attribute = result that allowed the GM to extrapolate easily the amount of success or failure you had).

This was really out of the blue. I hope the folks at CD Projekt RED do the game justice.

badpoet on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Please let this be good. Please let this be good. Please let this be good.

EH28YFo.jpg
    It will probably come out on the 2015 :) . They got plenty of time.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I'd guess 2014. 2015 seems a bit far off. But we'll see.

Just so long as they don't decide that releasing it in 2020 would make a good promotional stunt...

Does it look like machine pistol or more like an assault rifle?

It has an ACW look but it lacks rails.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

That'd be a smallish SMG judging from the dimensions of the magazine feed and size of the receiver.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Drake wrote: »

That'd be a smallish SMG judging from the dimensions of the magazine feed and size of the receiver.

It's a shotgun. The text says MILITECH 12 GA AU, or possibly AO, but I'm assuming the cutoff portion is "auto."

Judging by the size of the magazine compared to the character's fingers it could just as likely be a 5.56mm if I'm misinterpreting the text (5.56 rounds are just shorter than my pinky). It's definitely too big for an SMG though.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular

I'd guess 2014. 2015 seems a bit far off. But we'll see.

Just so long as they don't decide that releasing it in 2020 would make a good promotional stunt...

There's rumours going around that CDPR has two games in development to come out in 2014 and 2015. Apparently the other game (A dark mature fantasy RPG, wonder what that could be) is closer to completion than Cyberpunk.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I have such high hopes for this game, and I've been wondering for years why nobody used the Cyberpunk 2020 etc. for a game setting. I'm not really worried at all, since CD Projekt RED has so far only delivered quality and they've shown themselves to be a great dev. Hell, if there's problems, I'm pretty much certain they'll do their best to patch things up too.

Now, I've just gotta wait. :(

Rhan9 on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It's about time people started mining more P&P RPG IPs for games. There is a ton of stuff that could be translated well into video game formats. E