As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam Box / Big Picture Mode] Build & set up your own living room PC gaming console!

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So when Im in Big Picture Mode should I still see the start bar? Im using Windows 8 so I guess its the start bar.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Radeon 6670 in xbox 720? Gtfo.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    So when Im in Big Picture Mode should I still see the start bar? Im using Windows 8 so I guess its the start bar.

You should not. Although, I'm on 7, so I don't know if Windows 8 is just being a dick.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    emp123 wrote: »

You should not. Although, I'm on 7, so I don't know if Windows 8 is just being a dick.

Yeah, I didn't remember seeing it on my Windows 7 machine... Windows 8 is probably being a dick.

• Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    Would a Core i3, 650 Ti and 8 GB of RAM do the trick for a Steam Box?

I spec'd a build for 550 with a fractal design mini case, Asus h77 motherboard, corsair 500 watt psu and the parts I mentioned above.

I already have a spare hd and copy of windows 7. Just need a kb and mouse. I want to maximize the value because I know I won't be using it enough to justify 800 or a grand on it.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    seeing as a $350 a10-5800k build could be used as a steambox, yes your build is more then enough and should run most games at med to high settings at 1080p.

the great thing about this console generation going on for so long, and the next gen not pushing the specs that high, is that very cheap computers are more then capable of playing almost every game at great resolutions and settings.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Somebody convince me not to buy a refurbished X51 for conversion into a crazy Steambox.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Somebody convince me not to buy a refurbished X51 for conversion into a crazy Steambox.

whats the price on it? I bet with some work with a dremel a mini-itx case and a flexible pci-e riser you could totally build something better for cheaper.

Foomy on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

whats the price on it? I bet with some work with a dremel a mini-itx case and a flexible pci-e riser you could totally build something better for cheaper.

The cheapest refurbs are around $500.00.

And I'm honestly not sure how far you could get modding an existing case. Most ITX cases don't really have the same dimensions, and the cases with robust internal power are bigger and/or less console-like in form factor than I'd want. I'm sure you could pick up the kind of internal hardware necessary to utilize a big power brick like the one Alienware/Dell uses with the X51, but I'm just not sure where you'd get it.

The idea of gutting an X51 really does have a certain appeal, though. You could go quad-core (i5-3450S) and stick a GTX 660 in there while staying within the limits of the 330W power brick and the internal power delivery hardware, along with an SSD/2.5'' spindle combo. Plus it seems like fun.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    I say do it

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

The cheapest refurbs are around $500.00.

And I'm honestly not sure how far you could get modding an existing case. Most ITX cases don't really have the same dimensions, and the cases with robust internal power are bigger and/or less console-like in form factor than I'd want. I'm sure you could pick up the kind of internal hardware necessary to utilize a big power brick like the one Alienware/Dell uses with the X51, but I'm just not sure where you'd get it.

The idea of gutting an X51 really does have a certain appeal, though. You could go quad-core (i5-3450S) and stick a GTX 660 in there while staying within the limits of the 330W power brick and the internal power delivery hardware, along with an SSD/2.5'' spindle combo. Plus it seems like fun.

How good are you with a soldering iron and some cable sleeving? With a bit of planning it should be reasonably straightforward to convert a fanless PSU into a laptop-style power brick...

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Not so sure you would need to go with an external power brick style psu.

a 1U 300-400w server psu is a really small thing. I bet you could find a case about the same size as the x51 (13.5x12.5x3.75) as fit it in, plus the mini-itx board and a gpu.

and doing it yourself seems like more fun to me.

edit: and now I'm making little cardboard mockups of components and seeing how they could fit inside different sized cases, this is a deep and wrong path I've started down.

Foomy on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Don't forget that you can get GTX670s in that smaller size if you look around...

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

You are in the wrong place if you want to be talked out of spending money. Come on, man. You know this.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Seriously

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Fraz wrote: »
    Would a Core i3, 650 Ti and 8 GB of RAM do the trick for a Steam Box?

I spec'd a build for 550 with a fractal design mini case, Asus h77 motherboard, corsair 500 watt psu and the parts I mentioned above.

I already have a spare hd and copy of windows 7. Just need a kb and mouse. I want to maximize the value because I know I won't be using it enough to justify 800 or a grand on it.

That would probably make a magnificent Steam box. CPU's a bit low-end, but should be sufficient for most games, and the 650Ti is more than enough horsepower for 1080p.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Dammit, Steam, stop deleting my non-Steam shortcuts.

I don't suppose a fix has been found for this? Seems to happen at random. On the plus side, adding back the shortcuts automatically applies the custom banner images I added for them.

• Options
    So apparently the first "Steambox" prototype was at CES. They're not calling it that, but it's a tiny case that's optimized for Big Picture from a company that Valve has invested in:
    dsc05559-1357626588.jpg

More here.

• Options
    AthemicAthemic Gent, BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Just read that news as well.
    I'm just hoping on some kind of steam-"stream" box. So you can use the power of your desktop's GPU's without having to move your entire PC every time.
    Now I'm thinking about building a PC in a bitfenix prodigy case so I can easily move it from desk to TV. If I could have a little box that could stream big picture it would eliminate the need to go for a small form factor.
    The new gefroce handheld thing is interesting but it only outputs 720p...

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I dig the size of that thing but worry what going so small will do to price/performance.

I'm still personally eyeing a sugo sg05 with a modest card for steam boxing.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    With no real spec/pricing info available (until tomorrow, if Engadget is to be believed) I'm not too floored about it.

Still, I'm pretty excited for there to me multiple Steambox options commercially available, as long as they focus on that modular aspect where I can yank out and replace the GPU as time goes by.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    All I want is the steambox comes with a spot to put some of this and will use it for notifications when in game.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It will really depend on the pricing on that official steambox. It seems to be based on an AMD A10 APU, and going by the size it also lacks a HDD, or at least a large one judging by the 4 esata ports on the back, so I would assume they expect you to supply your own hdd.

And it will have to compete with a $300-350 do-it-yourself build, that would have equal or better specs.

If it was say $400 for everything I would need for it, I would be very tempted, just for the size factor on it.

Foomy on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    One of the news reports said it would come with up to 1TB of storage.

• Options
    I think it's based on solid state storage. Which is great and all but steam libraries eat storage space for breakfast

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    1TB would be more then enough for a start.

Even 128gb would be ok, as you could just add extra hdd as you need.

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Oh yeah 1tb is fine, except that will not be cheap even sold at cost if it's solid state.

I suppose if it's using a 2.5 inch drive you might be able to go big cheap storage instead. I'm just wondering if it won't be 1.8, given how small the enclosure is.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    The case seems big enough to fit a 2.5 in it, except for the fact that the ports go all the way up and across the back panel. There's no space at the top or side to plop a laptop platter drive in there. So it's probably going to have to be 1.8 inch...

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd say 1.8 for sure except I an not positive they come in 1tbcapacity yet.

Edit: Gigabytes, terabytes, what's even the difference

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    I really just wanna know specs and pricing 'cause I am all over this thing if the price is not much higher than equivalant off the shelf parts

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Isn't it possible that it's got a combined 1TB of storage with a small SSD for boot and "main" games?

The thing I love the most is that it presumably comes with Linux, but most of us will just install Windows onto it on first boot and play it like normal...yet they can still sell it as a "steambox" because it supports Steam and some games (ish) right out of the box. Clever girl.

• Options
    It could be a hybrid storage setup. That would be incredible, although i'm leery of how small that enclosure is re fitting multiple drives.

As far as windows versus linux if their custom linux does the job and i can play a decent chunk of games i'd probably just leave it as is, though that will depend on what kind of other media streaming i can get it to go.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    It could be a hybrid storage setup. That would be incredible, although i'm leery of how small that enclosure is re fitting multiple drives.

As far as windows versus linux if their custom linux does the job and i can play a decent chunk of games i'd probably just leave it as is, though that will depend on what kind of other media streaming i can get it to go.

MythTV. Yes please.

• Options
    Newell said in an interview that the xi3 box is not the offcial steambox but that they are working on a linux steambox that they wil sell themselves sometime eventually

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Every time Steam updates BPM, I keep hoping it would finally get rid of the annoying big block of text covering up screenshots.

But nope, that's still present. Until they get rid of that, I'll never enjoy looking over my screenshots.

Also, are there any alternatives to XBMC? I've been happy with the program minus a couple of minor issues, but if they've actually created a better alternative, I'd be willing to give it a look.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I was thinking of Steam boxing to my TV from my PC. My PC is literally on the other side of a set of French doors from my TV. It's got an Nvidia 670 in it which is hooked up to my LCD via DVI. Can I just run an HDMI from one of the available ports on it to my TV and call it a day? How will my computer know which to send signal to?

• Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    I was thinking of Steam boxing to my TV from my PC. My PC is literally on the other side of a set of French doors from my TV. It's got an Nvidia 670 in it which is hooked up to my LCD via DVI. Can I just run an HDMI from one of the available ports on it to my TV and call it a day? How will my computer know which to send signal to?

I just finished doing this exact thing. You'll have to go into the Nvidia control panel -> set up multiple displays -> clone display. That way it sends the signal to both devices. Before I did that it would only send to whichever I had plugged in first.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    it is just like any other multimonitor set up, you can clone it or extend your desktop. though if you are only using the tv occaisonally, the cloning is probably easier since i think it only comes up on the main monitor

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to clone audio output in Windows? Have, say, a game output to the PC's speakers/headphones AND to an HDMI audio link at the same time?

Up 'til this week I had no real intention of hooking my PC up to the TV, as I enjoy the personal immersion of the desk PC set up... but then my wife told me she'd like to watch me play Far Cry 3, and at the time the only way she'd have been able to do that is if she sat on my shoulders. :)

So I got an HDMI cable that'll run from the comp to the TV, but I can only get the game audio to output to once place or the other. Ideally, I'd like to play the game at the computer (which is already set up for it) and just have the audio/video cloned out to the TV for spectators.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Is there a way to clone audio output in Windows? Have, say, a game output to the PC's speakers/headphones AND to an HDMI audio link at the same time?

Up 'til this week I had no real intention of hooking my PC up to the TV, as I enjoy the personal immersion of the desk PC set up... but then my wife told me she'd like to watch me play Far Cry 3, and at the time the only way she'd have been able to do that is if she sat on my shoulders. :)

So I got an HDMI cable that'll run from the comp to the TV, but I can only get the game audio to output to once place or the other. Ideally, I'd like to play the game at the computer (which is already set up for it) and just have the audio/video cloned out to the TV for spectators.

There might be an option buried somewhere in your audio hardware's proprietary software -- output audio to all devices is a pretty common customization. Otherwise, you'll need to probably set something up with Virtual Audio Cable. It has an application called Audio Repeater that will allow you to output a stream to any other device on your system. Here's some guides:

http://lparchive.org/techsupport/guide-vac.html
    http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

And a download link for the trial version of the software.
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Virtual-Audio-Cable.shtml