As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Don't Know Much About Comics? Click Here!

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    That looks more complicated than it actually is since several minis are often collected in one trade

The list of trades I made for myself:

Annihilation 1
    Annihilation 2
    Annihilation 3
    Nova 1: Annihilation - Conquest
    Annihilation: Conquest 1
    Annihilation: Conquest 2
    Nova 2: Knowhere
    Nova 3: Secret Invasion
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1: Legacy
    Nova 4: Nova Corps
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2: War of Kings 1
    War of Kings
    Nova 5: War of Kings
    Guardians of the Galaxy 3: War of Kings 2
    Nova 6: Realm of Kings
    Guardians of the Galaxy 4: Realm of Kings
    Realm of Kings
    Thanos Imperative
    Annihilators
    Annihilators: Earthfall

Basically there were 2 on-goings(Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy) and 5 events(Annihilation, Annihilation - Conquest, War of Kings, Realm of Kings, Thanos Imperative)

Ya use this list, this looks perfect.
    I always have trouble figuring out what's where/what's in what trade when I recommend because my cosmic is all in singles heh.

Oh damn nice. I have the first 3 annihilation trades then kinda fell off comics for a while. Are all these trades still in print?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Sadly no
    I've been looking for Nova 6 (at a reasonable price) for a while and finally decided to just order it used

It's expected that Marvel will release some sweet, sweet omnibi and ultimate collections around the time the Guardians of the Galaxy movie premiers
    But that's like 2 years from now. Who can wait that long?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    Sadly no
    I've been looking for Nova 6 (at a reasonable price) for a while and finally decided to just order it used

It's expected that Marvel will release some sweet, sweet omnibi and ultimate collections around the time the Guardians of the Galaxy movie premiers
    But that's like 2 years from now. Who can wait that long?

I bet you won't have to wait that long. With the new Guardians series that's probably launching later this fall/winter, they'll probably get them back in print.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    so lets say I've read the Gray/Palmiotti/Conner run on Power Girl (issues 1-12) and enjoyed it, and I wanted to read more fun Power Girl stories

how would I go about that?

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    So, Nightcrawler was always my favorite character in X-men, and I'd like to read some stories with a focus on him if possible. Are there any recommendations out there for some quality runs that either feature Nightcrawler as a lead, or in which his personal story/role is the crux of the tale itself?

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    So, Nightcrawler was always my favorite character in X-men, and I'd like to read some stories with a focus on him if possible. Are there any recommendations out there for some quality runs that either feature Nightcrawler as a lead, or in which his personal story/role is the crux of the tale itself?

Your best may be to look into some early Excalibur stuff. I haven't read any of these stories in at least twenty years so I'm a bit foggy on the details but Kurt is a key member of the group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_(comics)#Excalibur_.28vol._1.2C_1988.E2.80.931998.29

For anything recent, well...if you don't know I'd rather not spoil it for you.

I know Nightcrawler had his own series a while ago, Nightcrawler: The Devil Inside and The Winding Way, although it is out of print now.

Excalibur, though, appears to be readily available:

Volume 1
    Volume 2
    Volume 3

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    The Alan Davis stuff is good but you should start with the Claremont volumes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    man, someday I really want to read all of classic Excalibur

I wonder if it's up on Marvel's Digital Unlimited service

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    classic excalibur is the best.

bale didn't I yell at you to read it

7656367.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    To whomever recommended Wolverine and the X-Men, that was great! Thanks! Also blew through 1602, that book was pretty awesome.

I kinda just want to read a ton of Marvel books; it looks like I can get most of the stuff recommended in the OP on Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited. Has anybody used that service? Is it any good?

It seems decent, but I haven't spent all that much time with it.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Is DC's Captain Marvel/Shazam worth reading?

I really liked his cameo in The Dark Knight Strikes Again but that might just be because of Miller's spin on him being the "cool granddad" and my affection for "one last time not to old for this shit" moments...

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Young Justice season 1 has a pretty fun version of Captain Marvel, playing constantly on the age jokes. ( Sucked we barely saw him in season 2)

Comics I'm not as sure of.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular

Currently, there are alternate universe Nightcrawlers in X-Force and X-Treem X-Men.

• Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    I just want to throw all of my support behind Skullkickers. It's amazing.

I picked up the hardcover copy of the first two volumes (with a hilarious signature from Zub) at FanEXPO and it was totally worth it.

• ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    Heyy what are some good Comics Reviews web-series. I really dig Atop The 4th Wall but the dude on it can get a little grating / silly on occasion.

Lately I've been reading reviews from Multiversity Comics, who I think does a pretty good job.

I also recommend checking out the War Rocket Ajax podcast. The reviews aren't a huge part of the podcast, but I like them.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    hey I have a comics question that google has failed me on.

I've noticed over the last while that a handful of people credited in Marvel comics (seems like it's just Letterers, but that could be coincidence) are listed with "VC's" in front of their name, "VC's Joe Caramagna" being most prominent but I've also seen it with Clayton Cowles and google shows that there are others.

What does the VC stand for/why is it there?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Virtual Calligraphy

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Thanks, Anti!
    Thanti

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    welcome!

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    If I were looking for a primer of, say, the best 5 Hulk stories that aren't Planet and World War Hulk, what should I be trying to track down? I have both of those already and I'm looking for more, but I know nothing about Hulk's printed past.

steam_sig.png
    I'd recommend checking out Fred Van Lente's Hulk: Season One, which came out recently and is a really good retelling of his origin. For his past, check out Bill Mantlo's 80s Hulk with Incredible Hulk: Regression, or you could get into Peter David's 90s Hulk stories starting with Incredible Hulk Visionaries - Peter David, Vol. 1, or you could pick up from the end of World War Hulk with Greg Pak's Incredible Hulk vol. 1: Son of Banner

• TheRealistTheRealist Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    If I were looking for a primer of, say, the best 5 Hulk stories that aren't Planet and World War Hulk, what should I be trying to track down? I have both of those already and I'm looking for more, but I know nothing about Hulk's printed past.

World War Hulk isn't a good story by any means....

But according to your question, not a story per se, but the whole Peter David's run on the Hulk when he goes from the Grey Hulk to the Professor.

Starts around issue #320 all the way to #450. It's really consistent and most of the stories are amazing.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    World War Hulk is okay

it's the weakest part of Pak's run though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Figure this would be the best place to ask, since i'm in a comics lull at the moment. All the recent Disney/Star Wars discussion has kinda given me a want to look into Star Wars comics. I've read a bunch years ago (like Tales and KotOR) but I don't know what's out now that's good.

I guess if anyone can recomend a good Star Wars ongoing or mini from the last few years it'd give me something to do. Preferably nothing Clone Wars related as I am thouroughly SICK of that era of canon. A focus away from Force-users a plus but won't really matter to me I guess.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    Heyy what are some good Comics Reviews web-series. I really dig Atop The 4th Wall but the dude on it can get a little grating / silly on occasion.

I like Mindless Ones. They aren't really the kind of site that reviews everything though. They're more about the thought out discussion and wanky essays (which I'm all about too). Their SILENCE! podcasts are pretty fun too.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Where would I start to learn more about Cable and Hope?

R0land1188 on
    steam_sig.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Cable and Hope together, or Cable and Hope individually? For the former, this Cable series. Hope's story starts with Messiah Complex. Cable...depends on if you want to start at the very beginning, or somewhere more current.

steam_sig.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Together at least for now thanks @Bullio !

steam_sig.png
  • david-gfe-gamesdavid-gfe-games Registered User new member
    Does Mad Magazine count as a Comic?

David
    Currently Enjoying a New Chess Set.
    there are comics in Mad Magazine, but Mad Magazine is in itself not really a "comic book", I'd say

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    there are comics in Mad Magazine, but Mad Magazine is in itself not really a "comic book", I'd say

It's down to about 18 pages and getting really overpriced, that's a defense of it being a comic! /grin

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I really hope this is the right place to post this - the stickies are almost as confusing as comics themselves. If this is the wrong place to post this then sorry in advanced.

I want (and have done for some time) to get into XMen comics but I am utterly confused by the sheer volume of stuff out there. Between different series, series changing their name midway through, different teams, timelines, continuities etc I am so confused. I have tried to figure out whats what from Wikipedia and from various recommendations but I am not really that much wiser to be honest :(

I think the series I am most interested in is "X-Men: Legacy" (X-Men, vol2 ?) - however I only say that because I have a knowledge of it from the cartoon. Is it worth starting with stuff that old (and I guess therefore expensive), or is there a more recent reboot that I could grab from the beginning?

If this thread is not the place to discuss this, then if there are any X-Men collectors who would have some time to PM me and be my guide through the maze that would be great!

Khade97 on
    This is definitely the right place to post that!

X-Men: Legacy is what they renamed the X-Men series as back in 2008. I wouldn't really recommend it as a jumping-on point, unfortunately. If by the cartoon you mean the 90s cartoon, that show was based on the Chris Claremont/Jim Lee comics that started back in 1991, which does show up as X-Men vol. 2 on Comixology, so I think I see what you're looking at. If you wanted to pick a spot in X-Men history to start, I would say that starting with X-Men #95 would be a better spot. That's where Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler join the team, they're being written by Chris Claremont, and you get a lot of classic stories like Days of Future Past and Dark Phoenix and all that starting there. Oddly, Marvel doesn't have stuff from #95-124 up yet, but you could always check out the Marvel Masterworks or the black and white Essentials collections for that old stuff.

Those old classic stories are definitely worth reading, but I think that jumping in with new stuff can be a bit easier sometimes. Comics usually do a pretty great job of explaining what you need to know as you read them, so you don't feel like you're missing anything. One new series that you might like is All-New X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis. It's only five issues in so far, but it's a story about the original teenage X-Men (Jean Grey, Cyclops, Iceman, Angel, and Beast) time travelling to the present day, so there's a bit of a built-in Cliff's Notes version of X-Men history where they find out about what happened between their time and the present time.

Thanks @Centipede Damascus - Lets say that I am a 30 year old that has never touched a comic in his life (sad, but true :( ) I really feel a bit out of my league so sorry if some if this is really basic stuff.

So, real basics... Digital Comics? I was expcting to have to trawl eBay for cheap tattered old copies but then I find this digital stuff. I have nothing against going digital as that seems to be a lot cheaper than I was expecting, but does that come in a standard format and what DRM if any is used? What software would you even need for something like that? (I coudn't find anything that basic on comixology.) Also is it something that is likely to stick around as a format - would hate to start getting stuff digitally only for it to be dropped as a format a few months later.

You said that X-Men #95 sould be a good place to start, but then you also say than Marvel doesn't "have stuff from #95-124 up yet" (I guess you are looking the same place I was - http://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Vol-2/comics-series/1133 ) Does that mean they will be released later, or are they probably tied up in an obscure copyright loop never so see digital release?

Finally, that All-New X-Men looks interesting and would be something I could jump into easily simply because there isn't a lot of it yet :) I dunno though - something tells me I should be going with "classic" stuff for it to be "true" X-Men. Thats a stupid thing to say and I should wipe that from my mind right?

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Khade97 wrote: »
    Thanks @Centipede Damascus - Lets say that I am a 30 year old that has never touched a comic in his life (sad, but true :( ) I really feel a bit out of my league so sorry if some if this is really basic stuff.

So, real basics... Digital Comics? I was expcting to have to trawl eBay for cheap tattered old copies but then I find this digital stuff. I have nothing against going digital as that seems to be a lot cheaper than I was expecting, but does that come in a standard format and what DRM if any is used? What software would you even need for something like that? (I coudn't find anything that basic on comixology.) Also is it something that is likely to stick around as a format - would hate to start getting stuff digitally only for it to be dropped as a format a few months later.

You said that X-Men #95 sould be a good place to start, but then you also say than Marvel doesn't "have stuff from #95-124 up yet" (I guess you are looking the same place I was - http://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Vol-2/comics-series/1133 ) Does that mean they will be released later, or are they probably tied up in an obscure copyright loop never so see digital release?

Finally, that All-New X-Men looks interesting and would be something I could jump into easily simply because there isn't a lot of it yet :) I dunno though - something tells me I should be going with "classic" stuff for it to be "true" X-Men. Thats a stupid thing to say and I should wipe that from my mind right?

Comixology's stuff is all DRM'd, on the PC the way to access it is is through their website. (though their is a Windows 8 app that will let you store comics locally), the mobile os' all for the most case have apps that will let you download comics onto the device.

When he said comixology didnt have the comics "yet", it means that they don't have it currently and most likely someday they will have them. But it's impossible to say when they will add them (Marvel usually adds 10-20 comics every tuesday to their back catalogue.)

And yeah the last thing is a "silly" thing to say, almost all of the NOW! relaunches are great points for a new reader to jump on.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Comixology's stuff is all DRM'd, on the PC the way to access it is is through their website.
    Humm, that worries me a little - but probably only because I had not heard of the site before today. Is them going out of business and you loosing access something to worry about, or are they a big enough player in the market for that to be a non-issue. (I am guessing if they have the backing of players like Marvel that is a good sign). Saying that however, are there any alternatives (other than hard copies)?
    And yeah the last thing is a "silly" thing to say, almost all of the NOW! relaunches are great points for a new reader to jump on.
    Would it be worth getting the X-Men: Season 1 compilation before All-New X-Men?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Season One isn't a compilation, it is a complete original graphic novel. The Season One line is a bunch of OGNs that are designed to modernize and streamline classic character origins for modern audiences.

X-Men is one of the best ones, I highly recommend it.

CYpGAPn.png