As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i wanna know what [chat] is

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    red mio energy 4 life

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Do any of the Gundam shows hold up for adults? I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam and I'm kind of interested in watching some of the earlier series from the 70s and 80s.

I think so yes. Gundam 0080 and 0083 were both really solid. Char's Counterattack was pretty awesome as well.

I missed Char's Counterattack when I was a kid, that's one of the ones I'm thinking about checking out.
    Do any of the Gundam shows hold up for adults? I've been playing Dynasty Warriors Gundam and I'm kind of interested in watching some of the earlier series from the 70s and 80s.

I hope you like filler.

I think most iterations of Gundam have a similar overarching plot with different characters/details/set in different worlds each with giant robots. I didn't think any of them were really long enough to have filler.

Yeah. A decent number of them are movies, too. The ones I'm familiar with are a few dozen episodes each, enough for some filler, but it's nothing like Naruto.

I may also not notice it because I have an innate liking for filler since it was the only good part of Evangelion.

I just can't believe Gainax is still milking that cow after all these years.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Dynasty warriors is the best way to experience gundam. All the robobrawling and you can press x to skip the horrible dialog

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Evangelion wasn't nearly as good as people told me it was

The fights and animation and montages of "nation cooperative effort" were great. The plot was crazy religion salad, the dialogue was stupid, and there was a weird fetish for 14 year old girls

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I think the one with wings you're referring to is Wing Zero from Endless Waltz?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3gwz3j5WT1qd2mgto1_500.jpg

It was apparantly "modified" in between the series and the movie for whatever angst-filled reason.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2013
    Zeta Gundam is horrible, Gundam Wing is worse

Maybe 08th MS Team?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The old Super Robot Wars games were great as well. Bonus for Tranzor Z + Gundam team ups. I hate that I don't have a modern system to play them any more. I think all the recent SRWs are on portables now :(

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I'm cleaning this place the fuck up. Bathroom mirror and shelf clean and orderly. Chipping away at Mt. Laundry.

Now attacking the stove top. Then, the rest of the kitchen area. Then tidy up tables. And then I'm well on my way.

Gonna get this place presentable.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    SEED has some angsty bits but is really good. SEED Destiny had to much bad 3d which turned me off from it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Dynasty warriors is the best way to experience gundam. All the robobrawling and you can press x to skip the horrible dialog

To be honest, I don't like DWG as much as the other Dynasty Warriors games. It felt incomplete, closer to Dynasty Warriors 2 than Dynasty Warriors 3 and 4 or Samurai Warriors 1 (the best games of the series).

The storyline in Original Mode is hilarious because of how nonsensical it is.

• Options
    BTW Soloman, did you know the guy who voiced Duo also voices this guy?
    voltar_sm.jpg

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Yy4SfJksU

this guy makes me want to watch true blood

I knew he was different but I didn't know he was the greatest ever

wow

"well that's silly, that's over for the season. True Blood is just beginning."

haha, this is why we are chill bros forever vari

that was my best and most favorite quote too

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Just watch some episodes of Robot Wars and battlebots and call it good.

• Options

To be honest, I don't like DWG as much as the other Dynasty Warriors games. It felt incomplete, closer to Dynasty Warriors 2 than Dynasty Warriors 3 and 4 or Samurai Warriors 1 (the best games of the series).

Which dw gundam are you refering to?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Really, Cowboy Bebop is the best Gundam series

• Options
    I don't actually have the guts to post in AC... My art is just, in no way, up to snuff.

You're a guy who's got the right attitude. The AC guys are fantastic at criticism. Which is anathema to people coming from places where everything will get positive feedback but is fantastic for actually bettering oneself.

There's one guy who's basically gone from 7th grade crayons to being comissioned to decorate airports and such with his super cool art.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I should post there myself.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    actually what I should do is scan the drunken blind portraits we did of each other on NYE. Those are art.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I don't actually have the guts to post in AC... My art is just, in no way, up to snuff.

You're a guy who's got the right attitude. The AC guys are fantastic at criticism. Which is anathema to people coming from places where everything will get positive feedback but is fantastic for actually bettering oneself.

There's one guy who's basically gone from 7th grade crayons to being comissioned to decorate airports and such with his super cool art.

Whoah, really?

Huh... Okay, i could try, i guess... i mean if what you're saying is true... Well, it's an amazing success story. whoa.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    l1gbi.jpg

• Options

I just never cared for that dash / dodge mechanic in DWG 1.

• Options
    Big O is another good Gundam series as well.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious on my second run through of dishonored, standing in front of the vice that has a bone charm in it, saving and reloading until I get a bone charm I like

thinking of you

:lol:

while this is hilarious, I think it isn't too bad because you aren't really undermining the weight of your own decisions. plus some of those bone charms are hella useless and I don't blame you for wanting a good one.

I only did it because the first three charms I found were utterly useless and I was pretty pissed by that. The one in the vice is the only charm that is "set" when you pick it up, the rest are all determined as soon as the level loads, so this was really the one chance to ensure that my run of bad luck didn't stretch into a game-spanning annoyance.

And it possibly would have, the first dozen or so saves and reloads I was getting shit like "your crossbow bolts have a slightly increased chance of being recoverable" and "eating food heals slightly more health".

Because yeah, that's totally on par with the stuff like "swing your sword faster" "choke people out faster" and "move at normal speed with a drawn weapon" mmm hmm.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Man, everyone hates Gundam Wing, but it had far and away the best mech designs.

Even the throwaway bad guys looked great.

In particular I remember one pair of bad guy mechs - one with a powerful gun, one with a shield, and they'd work as a pair and be nearly unstoppable. That is such a cool concept.

But the characters are aaaaaAAAAAA

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Really, Cowboy Bebop is the best Gundam series

It's not really fair to compare Bebop to most other animes

• Options
    Man, everyone hates Gundam Wing, but it had far and away the best mech designs.

Even the throwaway bad guys looked great.

In particular I remember one pair of bad guy mechs - one with a powerful gun, one with a shield, and they'd work as a pair and be nearly unstoppable. That is such a cool concept.

But the characters are aaaaaAAAAAA

Disagree. I like Zeta's suits way more. And the story isn't bad, but the last five episodes came about 30 episodes too late.

• Options
    Also, Big O is the poor lame Johnny Come Lately to the master piece that is Giant Robo.

• Options
    Also the Armored Core games are great for some giant mech action. At least the PS2 ones were.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    voltar_sm.jpg

I looked him up. Jesus Christ.

Image linked for huge.

The first. I hear the other two are better, so I'm still willing to give them a try.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Whoah, really?

Huh... Okay, i could try, i guess... i mean if what you're saying is true... Well, it's an amazing success story. whoa.

actually I'm going to check that I'm not mixing people up.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Also, Big O is the poor lame Johnny Come Lately to the master piece that is Giant Robo.

I read it as Japanese Batman

True facts: the animation studio that did Batman: TAS did the Big O

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_07jssnBSIw

HOW DID I MISS THIS?!

Oh yeah, I was in hospital.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    As far as undermining the decisions I make, I never re-load for stuff like that, that's cheating myself out of the value of repeated playthroughs. But if I'm going for 100% undetected and I get detected, I'm not going to punish myself by restarting the game, or even the level, from scratch. That would decrease my enjoyment of the game, not increase it.

Also, since I'm going for a ghost playthrough this time (100% undetected through the whole game) I occasionally have to save my game, throw an unconscious body in front of a patrol, and follow it with a grenade, before reloading.

It relives stress.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Also the Armored Core games are great for some giant mech action. At least the PS2 ones were.

I thought it peaked on ps1, project phantasma was great IMO, really the best developed one before they started going to crazy with the designs and mechanics.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Gonmun wrote: »
    voltar_sm.jpg

I looked him up. Jesus Christ.

Image linked for huge.

The first. I hear the other two are better, so I'm still willing to give them a try.

I've seen a couple of his Q & A's from cons that he does. It is really frickin' funny. He's started branching out a bit more too. He had a cameo in Supernatural and he guest starred on an ep of the new Primeval sseries. Hard to believe he's done so much VA work though. Especially when you see what he did on Beast Wars.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    i really want to like the gundam series, because at its heart it's space opera with a rich vein of consistent science fiction underpinning all the tech, with both sides of the conflict usually being pretty morally suspect. and the mech designs can be pretty fly.

those are some great ingredients to make a series from. it's just...really too bad none of them are ever really executed on well. I think War in the Pocket is probably the one most beyond reproach, but 08th MS Team is pretty fun.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options

I thought it peaked on ps1, project phantasma was great IMO, really the best developed one before they started going to crazy with the designs and mechanics.

Armored Core 2 and AC2: Another Age were also pretty great. You had good variety of parts. My favorite was when I built a mech that locked onto another mech in like 1/2 a second and then fired at missles at it.

• Options

Armored core 4 and its addons were ok. But 5 is really fucking stupid.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    my favorite anime is akiraball z second wing desu desu

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.