As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2013 Resolution Thread] Draw Every Day!

NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in Artist's Corner
How do you become a better artist?

Practice.

That's pretty much it. Sounds simple, but there's tons of hard work involved. A great habit is to DRAW EVERY DAY, NO MATTER WHAT.

"But I'm tired!" Too bad, draw before you go to bed.

"But I'm busy!" You will find the time. Make this a priority.

"I'd rather just relax and play video games." You can be mellow when you're dead.

This is the official 2013 Artist's Corner Resolution Thread. And these are the rules:

1. Draw every day.
2. Draw every day, no matter what.
3. DRAW EVERY DAY.
4. Sometime on Sunday, post the drawings you did for the previous week here, in this thread.

Only post your drawings once a week so the thread size is manageable. Keep the size of the files relatively small (keep them no larger than say… 600px x 600px). High quality scans don't matter, take a pic with your cell phone, I don't care. Just keep posting those drawings every week. We are holding you accountable!

If you don't think this is doable, you are wrong. I have a full time job, a wife, a kid (that I usually watch every Saturday by myself so my wife can paint), 2 weekly webcomics that I have never missed an update for, and I still managed to draw almost every single day in the past two years. If you are willing to draw every day and improve as an artist, it can be done.

Sign up by making a post stating that you want to participate. Feel free to also list any art-related goals you have for the year (draw hands better, learn perspective, study color theory…).

Drawings can be very simple to very complicated, it doesn't matter, just draw SOMETHING! Some days you will get more work done than others, this is about creating a wonderful habit that you can keep up, perhaps for the rest of your life. Photos or other forms of art are also accepted.

As an incentive (or perhaps not) for anyone and everyone who sees this through to the end of the year I will send them a piece of original inked art made especially for them.

Signups start NOW! The official day to start drawing will be January 13, and the first set of drawings will be due January 20.

List of participants:

Smof:
"My goals for 2013:
Get good at the basics, my fundamentals are rubbish
Learn shading
Learn to ink less shittily
My long term art goal is to do a long-form sci-fi comic. If by this time next year I feel competent enough to start producing comic pages I will be very happy."

Slacktron:
"My goal is to get back to sketching a comic page a day."

Akanekun:
"A drawing a day. Keeping it simple."

Raharl:
"My goals are to:
Work on anatomy and my fundamentals.
Make some comics."

Gavindel:
"The social pressure will be good for me."

SeraphSword:
"Goals: Draw every day, with an eye on starting a comic before summer, even a bad one."

Pukio:
"Goals:
Draw every day. That's it."

Molybdenum:
"I am in, although my scandumps will probably be closer to monthly."

briemoo:
"My goal for this year is to become less shitty so that I can confidently go back to school for art/animation sometime in the next few years."

Cerobi
"Goal: To draw every day to learn how to do it. I know absolutely nothing about drawing and have spent too much time wishing and not enough time doing. Ultimately, I would love to be able to draw my original characters from a comic I've had in my head since high school. Month by month plan for the year here."

Molybdenum
"I hear y'all are resolved
I am too"

miaAusa

Muddy Parasol
"My goal: To do serious studies as often as possible"

Dversed
"I want to draw everyday"

xcilemons

WIckedkarma
"Goal: work on the basics."

Nibcrom:
"My goals for this year are:
Read (and implement) 3 art books.
At least 1 sketch from life/reference per day."

Previous years:
2012 Resolution Thread
2011 Resolution Thread
2010 Resolution Thread

NibCrom on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    My goals for this year are:

Read (and implement) 3 art books.
    At least 1 sketch from life/reference per day.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Yay. Let's do this! Hopefully with less failure than my attempt last year.

My goals for 2013:

Get good at the basics, my fundamentals are rubbish
    Learn shading
    Learn to ink less shittily

My long term art goal is to do a long-form sci-fi comic. If by this time next year I feel competent enough to start producing comic pages I will be very happy.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Does it count if I plan to do an art-improving comic with a picture or two a week? Not that I know anything about comics, but the goal is to have a project so that I have a ready reason to draw, not to get internet famous.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    edited January 2013
    gavindel wrote: »
    Does it count if I plan to do an art-improving comic with a picture or two a week? Not that I know anything about comics, but the goal is to have a project so that I have a ready reason to draw, not to get internet famous.

As long as you are drawing or taking a photo every day and posting the previous weeks art on Sunday, you're good. One or two a week is not enough. If once or twice a week you have a fully completed drawing that's fine, but the other days should at least have sketches.

Sketches and doodles are expected! These give you time to experiment and fail. That's part of your growth as an artist.

NibCrom on
  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    I'm back. I'm in. My goal is to get back to sketching a comic page a day.

slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • akanekunakanekun Registered User regular
    I'm in. A drawing a day. Keeping it simple.

• RaharlRaharl Registered User regular
    What? this sounds cool I'm in.

My goals are to:

Work on anatomy and my fundamentals.
    Make some comics.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Alright, I'm in. The social pressure will be good for me.

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    In.

Goals:
    Draw every day, with an eye on starting a comic before summer, even a bad one.

Good luck peeps.

Time to get to work.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • PukioPukio Registered User regular
    Count me in.

Goals:
    Draw every day. That's it.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I am in, although my scandumps will probably be closer to monthly.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    If you haven't already started, get to drawing NOW!

Signups are still open.

We're on day three, and...man. I have forgotten more than I knew! About all my brain still seems to be able to do is contour drawing.

Back to the remedial art exercises it is then.

gavindel wrote: »
    We're on day three, and...man. I have forgotten more than I knew! About all my brain still seems to be able to do is contour drawing.

Back to the remedial art exercises it is then.

:^:

That's why we're doing this! To keep up our talents! :)

• FuzzyFuzzkinFuzzyFuzzkin VirginiaRegistered User regular
    I just remembered this. Glad to see its going. I'm doing the same on deviant via a group (link). The prompts help to be honest. After I do these, I'm nice and loose and can keep going with other drawing.

Is there a tag or something we can use to indicate "Please provide constructive criticism on this piece for me!"? If we're just sketching, then there's no need, but sometimes I spend time on a thing and want to learn from it.

Designer, Developer, Codemonkey, Artist at Achronic Games Mobile (Link: www.achronicgames.com)
  • briemoobriemoo Registered User new member
    My goal for this year is to become less shitty so that I can confidently go back to school for art/animation sometime in the next few years.

Is there a tag or something we can use to indicate "Please provide constructive criticism on this piece for me!"? If we're just sketching, then there's no need, but sometimes I spend time on a thing and want to learn from it.

People are free to offer critiques of people's work in this thread, but if you would like a critique on a specific piece, please start a separate thread for it.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Oh noooo, I am just about to go to bed and just realised I forgot to draw today. I am so tired. This is going to be the worst drawing.

That's alright, man. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad drawing or if you skip a day. Forgive yourself then get back to drawing!

Week one.
    Energy kind of went downhill towards the end of the week.

D2gnT.jpggNo4O.jpghkzvKYi.jpgnygTD4N.jpgMhOvbIm.jpgER9dnMm.jpgsoFgk34.jpg

• RaharlRaharl Registered User regular
    still looks good though,

Saving this spot till I get to a scanner Monday.

• CerobiCerobi Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Cerobi on
    This week was marked by intense frustration at myself. In 2008, my life drawing classes got me producing decent still lifes and charcoals. Four years later...well, there's been some decay.
    DaD2013-001-1024x662.jpg
    DaD2013-002-1024x662.jpg
    DaD2013-003-1024x662.jpg
    DaD2013-006-007-1024x662.jpg

Its slowly coming back, at least. This one from yesterday at least approximated an object in reality:
    DaD2013-008-1024x662.jpg

Cerobi wrote: »
    I'm totally in!
    (wow this started only from the 13th? I've been drawing from the 1st)

Goal: To draw every day to learn how to do it. I know absolutely nothing about drawing and have spent too much time wishing and not enough time doing. Ultimately, I would love to be able to draw my original characters from a comic I've had in my head since high school. Month by month plan for the year here.

Also, I'm a total noob to this forum. Is there a way to set email notifications when there's a new post?

At the top of the thread page there's a little yellow marker icon, click it and the thread will be bookmarked. Then I think if you go into your user settings you can set it to email notify you on updates to bookmarked threads.

Also if you click on 'bookmarks' at the top of the page you can see a list of all threads you've marked.

edited January 2013
    Week 1: These are all from the 100 day challenge I'm messing around with on Gaia. Mostly from google image ref, others from someone else's original character.
    007.png008.png009.png010.png011.png012.png013a.png013c.png

akanekun on
    Jan 13, 2013:
    13.jpg

Jan 14, 2013:
    14.jpg

Jan 15, 2013:
    15.jpg

Jan 16, 2013:
    16.jpg

Jan 17, 2013:
    17.jpg

Jan 18, 2013:
    18.jpg

Jan 19, 2013:
    19.jpg

edited August 2016

Cerobi on
    1/13
    1-13.png

1/14
    1-14.png

1/15
    1-15.png

1/16
    1-16.png

1/17
    1-17.png

1/18
    1-18.png

1/19
    1-19.png

edited January 2013
    New week, new drawings. While I do draw every day, I won't post the ones that devolve into "i suck!" scribbles and angst. So that's why there are only 4 pages (some pages being multiple days).
    DaD2013-011.jpg
    DaD2013-012.jpg
    DaD2013-013-014.jpg
    DaD2013-015.jpg

I need to start working on comic strips. Ah, I haven't felt that terror of the blank page in a long time.

gavindel on
    edited August 2016

Cerobi on
    Week 2

This week I have mostly been doodling and not doing enough studies. Woops.

Xf7U6cO.jpgV5gncgI.jpgGbziktW.jpgEwLd118.jpgCMAfxh4.jpgx5V5H7c.jpgTwtfsbx.jpg

Previous Posts:
    Jan 20, 2013:
    20.jpg

Jan 21, 2013:
    21.jpg

Jan 22, 2013:
    22.jpg

Jan 23, 2013:
    23.jpg

Jan 24, 2013:
    24.jpg

Jan 25, 2013:
    25.jpg

Jan 26, 2013:
    26.jpg[/quote]

week 2
    014a.JPG015.png016.png017.png018.png019.jpg020.png

edited January 2013
    Those vehicles are sick as hell, akane.

Week 2:
    1/20
    1-20.png

1/21
    1-21.png

1/22
    1-22.png

1/23
    1-23.png

1/24
    1-24.png

1/25
    1-25.png

1/26
    1-26.png

Pukio on
    Cerobi wrote: »
    My drawing goal hasn't been added to the initial post :( I am taking part....

Sorry about that. I added you. Did I miss anyone else? I went through the posts and Cerobi was the only one I saw. Please tell me if I didn't add you the original post!

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I hear y'all are resolved

I am too
    unfortunately I don't have images for most of mine; sent some postcards without recording the evidence.
    jiepbH3.jpg
    VrY1oDI.jpg
    ZO5n7Xi.jpg
    bjVrB6y.jpg

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Thanks @Pukio! I really like the variety in your work, need to push myself to do more designs out of my comfort zone.

Week 3~
    021.png022.png023.png024.png025.png026.png027.pngtumblr_mhkzq80wnU1rr01vco1_1280.png

DaD2013-016.jpg
    DaD2013-017-018.jpg
    DaD2013-019.jpg
    DaD2013-020-021.jpg

I am getting my butt handed to my trying to shade spheres or other rounded objects in three dimensions. I can use shade-contour maps for faces, which works alright as long as the light is strong, but screw spheres. Screw them and their sphereiness.

Previous Posts:
    Jan 27, 2013:
    27.jpg

Jan 28, 2013:
    28.jpg

Jan 29, 2013:
    29.jpg

Jan 30, 2013:
    30.jpg

Jan 31, 2013: