As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A n00b to sink your teeth into (UPDATE: Bits n bobs on page2!)

RabaudcopRabaudcop Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey all, I've been lurking around these part for a wee while now, always found your stuff amazing. Big fan of some of you. Any way, I am a budding graphic design student and hope to study attempt a bachelor of graphic design next year, so I have to put together a bit of a portfolio. Now I'm nothing special, so I was hoping you guys could help shape me into something semi special...or atleast jus help out abit!!

Been fooling around with a bit of digital painting...but help is needed...rip it 2 shreds (this isn't supposed 2 be finished btw...)

wipblueeyeszx2.jpg

I'll post a bit more in a few hours...but help would be appreciated for now!

Nice to meet y'all

Rabaudcop on

• Options
    Captain HeavysteinCaptain Heavystein Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Chin needs to be more defined. Her face is not face shaped so much as just round. I suggest a frame, then compare. Maybe her lips are too high, or too close to her nose....but something about it really doesn't look right.

Hair looks good up top, I hope those ends are just unfinished.

Captain Heavystein on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    can you post your next image a bit larger?
    i can't really see too closely, but what i do seem to see is, that the eye looks like its a bit large. and the jaw is a bit manly. maybe thats what she looked like though.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i agree with Captain. Theres something off about the proportions on the face. I think the nose and mouth are ok together but both are too are too low compared to the position of the eyes.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah the hair is unfinished at the end, i want to add more texture to it to. The jaw linbe is frustrating the shizzle outta me, she either looks like a man or cartoonish, can't seem to get it right!. I'll take all that you've said and try to modify it, but i've got work till next week so it may be a little bit of time. U'll also post some more completed work at that point :)

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    inertinert Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    it looks funny because the cheekbone is a bit too low for the height of the eye. raise the cheekbone a bit and lower the eye slightly (basically just bring the two together a little, but with a bias toward the forehead). shorten the nose upward a little as well, as it makes her face appear longer than it actually is. for the chin/jaw, make the entire head more almond shaped and you'll have a more feminine looking jawline. her jaw looks manly because her head is oval-shaped. males are oval, females are more almond ;)
    if you have trouble with almond shapes, just picture a balloon, it's the same basic shape. the jaw will not curve straight down like almonds do, it will round itself out toward the bottom, just not quite as much as the masculine oval-shape.

it looks good so far...you can keep the head shaped the way it is if you're going for a more powerful looking woman, but definitely raise the cheekbone/lower the eye and maybe shrink the eye down a little, as this will emphasize the femininity that the jaw will lack if you leave it.

have fun!

inert on
    Hell hath no limits, nor is restricted itself to one place; for where we are is Hell, And where Hell is, there must we ever be. ~ Marlowe
  • Options
    Highlander_77Highlander_77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think there's a major problem with the shape of her jaw..I think the very dark shading under the cheek bone makes it look like the cheek juts out at a very severe angle. I think if that shading were a little more subtle, it would go a long way toward making her look more feminine. However, that's not the major problem that I'm seeing...

The big problem, for me at least, is that her eyes are too big, and they're placed at a weird angle on her head. They're tilted inward too a bit much...and the eyebrow is tilted way too much. You've got it tilted on practically a 45 degree angle...if you look at eyebrows on an actual person, they're much closer to a straight horizontal line, with just a slight arch to them (some people do have a more prominent arch in their eyebrows, but I don't think I've ever seen eyebrows that start so low on the inside and end so high on the outside as the ones you've got here). I think you'll also find that if you shrink her eyes down to a normal size, that the upper part of her head is then going to look too wide. Look how wide her head is at the cheekbone, and then look how much wider it gets above that. Starting from the chin, the head gets wider as you move up the jawline...but it usually reaches it's maximum width by the time you get up to the cheek and tapers off into more of a straight vertical line.

You've definitely got some good stuff working here, I think you just need to work on the overall anatomy a bit.

Highlander_77 on
    El_Pollo_Diablo.jpg"Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!"
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow, you guys are like a trillion times more helpful than my non-artistic family (I'm the flamboyant, extravert that no one is quite sure where my genes come from). I've taken everything on board and will attempt to fix it some time this week. Today I'm gonna do some good ol' fashioned marker and canvas wrok, so wish me luck. Will post it and some sketches later this week.

Thanks again!

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well heres a WIP i started today, its markers on canvas (45cm x 45cm). Colour collaboration differs imensly between my dads monitor and my monitor, so i hope the levels are alright for ay one viewing.I'm quite happy how this is turning out, but there is ALWAYs room for improvment eh? critique awaaaaay.....

2002079132366241044_rs.jpg

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Rabaudcop wrote: »
    Well heres a WIP i started today, its markers on canvas (45cm x 45cm). Colour collaboration differs imensly between my dads monitor and my monitor, so i hope the levels are alright for ay one viewing.I'm quite happy how this is turning out, but there is ALWAYs room for improvment eh? critique awaaaaay.....

2002079132366241044_rs.jpg

Her eyes still look a little too big, and her ears are up too high (they should be at about the same level as the nose...unless her head is supposed to be tilted forward) but I'd say it's a pretty big improvement so far. The hair looks good, and I like the lighting (I'm assuming the light is supposed to be emanating from the object in her hand).

Very nice, overall. Keep it up! ;-)

Highlander_77 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I have this fixation with eyes and i always end up drawing them too big...must...draw...smaller. And your assuption about the ears is correct, her face is supposed tho be tilted forward, any idea how i can rectify this error? In terms of enphasisng that fact?

The object in her hand is supposed to be the light source, so i'm glad you were able to recognise that (its a rose btw). I really thought that wasn't even remotely clear so yay!

The markers aren't exactly forgicving in terms of mistakes, but I'll see what i can do with your critiques so far.

Just a quick question, what is the general concensus on the background? leave it white? or something else? My original intentions were for it to be black, but I no longer think that going to work.

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    BenGPTBenGPT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Looking not so bad. The thing with markers (and anything where you can't erase) is that you've got to make sure your foundation is sound before moving on. I think you'll have a hard time fixing the tilt of the head at this point. When you tilt the head down, more of the forehead/top of the head is visible, and the chin starts to disappear:
    image.php?e52509e918.jpg

I like how you're starting with the lighting effect, but you need a little bit more shading in the face. It's really washed out right now, and some subtle hints as to the shape will do a lot of good. Did you have a reference at all for the face? If not, I'd find one or take a picture of yourself holding a lightbulb, just to see how it should look. Also, the rose is a little dark to be emanating light itself, but not much you can do about it now.
    Don't leave the background white. It takes away from the dramatic lighting.

Otherwise, it shows promise.

BenGPT on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah thanks for the critique, very useful on the head tilt thing. Not all that much I can do about it now though :(, oh well live and learn. I did draw it off a reference in which i set the wireless flash to the side when i took the photo, so the ACTUAL direction of the light isn't from the rose, and i guess this shows. Hence the overly dark shadows aropund the nose area and the overall washed out appearance. I'll fiddle and hope i can fix this without completely destroying it.

As for the background I'm at a stale mate...any suggestions? I was going to just do a curved gradient starting from black to white from the top left corner (does that make sense?), which would hopefully create more of a focus on the dynamic lighting. I'm just at the point where i don't want to wreck the piece, and doing a background could be a deal breaker :?

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    for the background i vote more vines

...or just keep it as is? why dont you try opening it up in photoshop and fiddling around with some ideas, likewise you can correct many of errors pointed out in photoshop very easily.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, more vines might be a good idea for the background.

As to the light source, I did recognize the rose, but at first it looked to me like she was holding some sort of crystal or something in her hand that the rose is sitting on. That was what I was referring to when I mentioned the "object in her hand". Upon closer inspection, the "crystal" is actually a bunch of stems/vines hanging from the bottom of the rose. For some reason the vines looked to me like the corners/edges of some sort of shiny glass/crystal type object in her hand.

Knowing now what it's suppose to be, I have to agree that if the light is emanating from the rose itself, then the rose is far too dark. If anything, it now looks to me like the light is just coming from the palm of her hand or something.

Highlander_77 on
  • Options
    ZeeBeeKayZeeBeeKay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure how to fix this, but the area where her right hand meets her head seems really...mushed together. Like, I think the side of her head is distorting and sloping down at a greater angle than the other side of her head, but I can't really tell because of how dark it is in that corner. That's really my main quibble, though, and the rest of the piece is really nice.

Keep up the good work!

ZeeBeeKay on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well i wen t with the "moer vines m i rite?!" approach to the background, and here is the result. I have done a few touch ups since this photo was taken, such as the edges of the canvas no longer being so scrappy, they're nice and even/smooth now. Also fixed up her fringe. I can't devote much more time to this because I have a lot to do, so aside from a few neatening nitpicks and touch ups, this is the final. Hope y'all like it, don't hesitate to critique though!

2002376707125966972_rs.jpg

Be back with some sketches soon.

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow...I would say that was definitely the right call on the background. Gives it a whole different feel and mood. Aside from the crits that have already been given, I can't think of much more to add. I actually quite like it, in spite of it's flaws. Nice work. ;-)

Highlander_77 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yes...

it was all my idea! screw Rabaudcop, compliment meeeee

final product is good, i like, you win, now post more things plz sir

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    gruggrug Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow, you guys are like a trillion times more helpful than my non-artistic family (I'm the flamboyant, extravert that no one is quite sure where my genes come from). I've taken everything on board and will attempt to fix it some time this week. Today I'm gonna do some good ol' fashioned marker and canvas wrok, so wish me luck. Will post it and some sketches later this week.

Thanks again!

you are vain and your art sucks

grug on
    HOOFBEATS

ROBIN FALLS

WHO KNEW
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    grug wrote: »

Thanks again!

What the hell? What in that paragraph exudes vanity? In fact he's admitting his flaws in thanking people for their help. It's not really appropriate to come and spout nonsense and then insult someone on the quality of their work. I think it's appropriate at this juncture for me to say "stfu&gtfo".

As for a critique: I think the finished marker piece is nice, it shows you have the ambition to finish something despite any flaws it might have, since you can't fix marker. In two years I only have one or two somewhat finished things because I stop when I don't like it anymore.

I think you need practice though, with facial anatomy, coloring, shading, the works. It'd probably be a better idea to do a majority of your practice on pencil and paper, and move to working from life or photo references. This will help you immensely even though it can be boring. In fact, me ignoring that advice has limited the growth of my skill, and now I'm stuck because I want to draw better but can't. Drawing from life gets the patterns of drawing things into your head, and also exorcises yours line work and shading ability.

The reason I say pencil and paper is starting with value and then moving to color and value makes things easier in the long run. If you start with both it's just making you learn two things at once, and you won't be able to appreciate them individually. This is just my opinion though. I think after some considerable practice, then you could move to the tablet. Physical and digital mediums are totally different, and I think being well-practiced in the first is good before getting into the latter.

Being limited by the inability to erase or go back will also help you appreciate the capabilities of the tablet, as well as exorcise your ability to try to not make mistakes even though you can fix them. This makes your line work more confident, which is apparent to the viewer right when they see the piece. So, just keep practicing, using references really does help, and have fun.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Thanks again!

You are a dick and you should go fuck yourself.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    ... as well as exorcise your ability to try to not make mistakes even though you can fix them. ...

Why would he want to exorcise his ability? Is it possessed by the Devil? Is it going to make his head spin around and cause him to jam a crucifix into his unmentionables? :P

Highlander_77 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    ... as well as exorcise your ability to try to not make mistakes even though you can fix them. ...

Why would he want to exorcise his ability? Is it possessed by the Devil? Is it going to make his head spin around and cause him to jam a crucifix into his unmentionables? :P
    I'm trying to determine if this is pure sarcasm, or if you're being serious.

This makes your line work (and other aspects) look more confident, which is apparent to the viewer right when they see the piece. As in it gets you in the practice of making cleaner lines more easily, because with a pencil you don't want to be erasing a whole ton, so it forces you to learn how to draw with less lines and get it right the second time instead of the tenth.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

This makes your line work (and other aspects) look more confident, which is apparent to the viewer right when they see the piece. As in it gets you in the practice of making cleaner lines more easily, because with a pencil you don't want to be erasing a whole ton, so it forces you to learn how to draw with less lines and get it right the second time instead of the tenth.

You used the word "exorcise" (to remove a demon) vs. "exercise" (to practise).

Saved on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Saved wrote: »

You used the word "exorcise" (to remove a demon) vs. "exercise" (to practise).
    Die.

[edit] Oh snap, TotP!!!

srsizzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Thanks again!

Heh, I've been lurking long enough to know that the only way to earn respect in AC is to eat humble pie, and respect that 90% of the community is either better than you, or have constructive criticism that will empower you as an artist...you my friend are in the other 10%. Get fucked

More work coming by the way, thnks for the replies.

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Illustrater gives me a headache.....

2000804387975273214_rs.jpg

Just a quick note, THIS IS NOT A TRACED PHOTOGRAPH, I know thats normaly what people asume with illustrater. This is only a WIP (thats my girlfriend btw :), shes not actually "gangstar", and thos are my shoes (they're WAY to big for her, but i liked the effect it gave)), still got work to do her left foot, which is completely off, and finish the ipod, background etc. Anything else i'm missing?

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    can you save it as a .png or a .gif? I don't like what the jpg format is doing to it. It looks muddled and pixelated.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Very nice, but the shading is a bit too dark on the bridge of her nose.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oooo, yeah they shading on the nose...damn lmultiplying layers, still getting used to this illustrater "shape business...will fix it tho

Well heres a tag i did in photoshop today, tell me what you think :D

2000585391314558551_rs.jpg

As for me just using a pencil and paper, trust me, i am EAGER to work on my fundamentals, i cannot wait to stop this mixing on medians madness. Unfortunatly its needed for my portfolio due at the end of the month, so i don't have the time to, well, take my time. I hate being so limited in time but thats the reality for the next few weeks. Then I'm definatly gonna sit down and sort out the basics.

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the..,w/e its called, the drop down menu under the layers tab. mess around with those for your tag. it'll help to blend it in with the wall.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    the..,w/e its called, the drop down menu under the layers tab. mess around with those for your tag. it'll help to blend it in with the wall.

...Opacity?

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    er, no, change the layer type to overlay, then mess with overlaying some mid value colors underneith the tag to bring out certain areas as well as toning down spots where it would hit shadows due to the cement sections between the bricks.

at least thats one method, it wont look great right off the bat, you've gotta work with it a bit and then do some other fun things. iono spend a few hours experimenting, but thats one route you can take.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ahh, i getcha now, i'll have a lil play this weekend. I'm running outta inspiration for now, i need to sleep at some stage (Oh yeah, and i never thanked you for the idea for the background of the canvas piece, so thanks!).

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    It looks good, but don't just use black on top of your colors for shadows. Define your lightsource and decide on what type of light (soft, hard, color, temp) is shining on her, then define the shadows accordingly.

When you figure out where the light is coming from, and what type of light it is, there is a formula you can keep in mind for the lighting:

Areas directly hit by the light source will be (local color) + (light source) + (value adjustment [tint, tone, shade]) = proper color under lighting.

Shadows follow the same rules such as (local color) + (compliment of light source) + value adjustment) = shadow. For shadows the big thing to keep in mind is to use the complimentary color of the light source, i.e. the color for the shadow is the color opposite the color of the light source on the color wheel. And also cool lights will cast warm shadows as warm lights will cas cool shadows.

By just using black ontop of your local colors, you're only going to achieve desaturating the local color, making it dull and muddy looking, and not so much shaded as intended.

I hope this makes sense, I'm kinda pulling an all nighter so I'm a bit incoherent at the moment.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Explanation of light and value, drawing parallels between the dark and lightside of the force in starwars in order to explain shadows.

Wow...thanks for that, my brain is a tad frazzled at the mo (some one that can empathise w my all nighters!) so i'll re read it in the morning to try get my head around it. But shot bro

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    And also cool lights will cast warm shadows as warm lights will cas cool shadows.

can someone define these terms for me please?

PantheraOnca on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I draw on the power of the 5 points of the pentagon, bealzabaahl, loki, lucifer, satan and santa clause to let darkness envelop my frame so i may breath evil that may transend death into the body of this thread, and free it from the cruel screams of enternally tortured souls that dwell in the depths of hell, on terms that it shall forever b in my control!

yay i found my thread! well my portfolio is handed in, i hear back from them in 3 weeks, no use stgressing between now and then, jus chill out, doodle n shiz!

1)Sketches

Cathedral- graphit pens and graphit pencil danced all night to give birth to this. Everytime i close my eyes i see bricks...so many..bricks
    2005742258313731828_rs.jpg

Ballerina- Inspired by my BEE-YOO-TEE-FOOL girlfriend (who i, ironically, had a fight wiv this morning and isnt currently talking 2me, but thats a whole different topic...)
    2005798449006950715_rs.jpg

Rockstar- A rock star dude...no witty comment here
    2002367342034111457_rs.jpg

2)Fiber tip pen- How emo of me! i'm reall not though, so don't take this as any indication of my personality
    2002470186880922573_rs.jpg

4) Digital Painting attempt numero dos! my tablet died halfway through, which i took as god telling me that i need to stop attemptin to fix anymore of this!
    2005798488497837869_rs.jpg

Crits welcome!

Rabaudcop on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It doesn't look like you actually painted that last image.

Other crits: On your other heads/faces your craniums are entirely too narrow. Remember that there is a brain in there being protected. Also for wrinkles/dimples or whatever on the face I think you should work on shading more to get the effect, the single lines [like on that singer's face] don't work for me.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius