As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One [chat]

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I run the numbers about my card art more often than i do it.

Too bad it doesn't help.

if you get off the forums and go do one card right now

you will be one card closer to finishing

this post ended far more amicably than i expected

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just ran the numbers.

if I do 2.5 pieces of art per day, it will take me precisely 100 days before I'm done with the art.

That means I will be done by April 18th... Joy...

no, see

if you're doing 2.5 pictures a day for 100 days, you're going to improve noticeably by April 18th

at which point you will want to redo all the older, worse ones you did, which will be like the first 2/3rds of the project

and so on

unto infinity

Haha.

That's cute.

Thinking i can improve.

You apparently posted terrible drawings in AC, wanna help me? if both of us work at it, i'll have a playable build in just 50 days!

i am good at art but also good at being lazy

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I don't mean to whine about opportunity, but now I have to like, make decisions about my future, because of this JPL thing.

explain yourself good sir

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    There are only two types of posters:

Long term creepers who eventually came out of the closet.

People who discovered the forums; saw a post; registered an account to tell someone off without learning anything at all about the forum culture first.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I just ran the numbers.

if I do 2.5 pieces of art per day, it will take me precisely 100 days before I'm done with the art.

no, see

if you're doing 2.5 pictures a day for 100 days, you're going to improve noticeably by April 18th

at which point you will want to redo all the older, worse ones you did, which will be like the first 2/3rds of the project

and so on

unto infinity

Haha.

That's cute.

Thinking i can improve.

You apparently posted terrible drawings in AC, wanna help me? if both of us work at it, i'll have a playable build in just 50 days!

i am good at art but also good at being lazy

i'll give you a shiny nickel for every piece!

Two nickels if you do it now.

Chop chop.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure mine was a dorky classical music post

what happened to you elendil?

you used to be cool
    we both used to be cool

we used to be classical music and modernist literature nerd bros

now you make electronic disco dance funk and fuck girls and i listen to krautrock and fuck even more girls

where did it all go wrong

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I just ran the numbers.

Well, some of the Adobe products are now free. So there's that going for you.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I just ran the numbers.

Bah, I doubt it'd help me much.

i'm doing just fine with GIMP. The problem here isn't the tools.

holy fuck this is a lot of pages of posts

what am i doing with my fucking life

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Good morning [chat]. How goes?

工事中
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

you responded (tangentially) to my first post ever

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20944726

laser cannons

mother

fucking

laser cannons

It's official, we live in the future. Where is my goddamn flying car?

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hey, quick question for Anno 2070 players: Is it worth it to choose a little island to turn into a toxic sludge pile by moving all your heavy industry there?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I don't mean to whine about opportunity, but now I have to like, make decisions about my future, because of this JPL thing.

JPL could be a long term thing.

JET is always temporary.

Not sure this helps.

Staying on JET can be rolled into long term things, also, however. Some people end up being contracted directly by their BoE once they are done with JET, some go on to work teaching at other positions, etc. It is certainly not a for sure thing.

Neither are for sure things.

I guess the best bet is to re-contract with JET, see how the JPL thing plays out and then maybe end up having to break contract with JET? Hrm. I don't know, I need time to process this I think.

My brain keeps jumping to stupid reasons to make the decisions. JPL will mean I am back with my old friends! Well I have friends in Japan. JET means I can still play Borderbreak (seriously my brain jumped to videogames on the walk to work this morning) and experience Japan. If I go back now Japan will just be that "odd place I visited for a year... bleh need more time to process. Got 5 classes to teach today though so not a whole ton of time for thinking. Well, unless the students are just all practicing for tests today. Then lots of time to think.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I was at page like 800 and I suddenly realized that time is running out for my ripe ovaries

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited January 2013
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hey, quick question for Anno 2070 players: Is it worth it to choose a little island to turn into a toxic sludge pile by moving all your heavy industry there?

I spread it out so it can be counteracted by weather stations personally.

also for the love of Christ to not tempt me to start playing anno 2070 at 23:10 on a weeknight.

Casual on
    Brother Dating Problems
    step one do not date your brother

Organichu wrote: »

you responded (tangentially) to my first post ever

a terrible mistake

my posting history only goes back to 2004, which is the year after i joined

the earliest one i can find is a post in Strange and Embarrassing Moments, which I know was not my first

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Due to retirement a spot on the JPL staff has opened up. I'd be a content writer for their web division mostly focusing on explaining complex scientific ideas in ways that 4th-6th graders can understand. It would be full time. I have not yet re-contracted for JET, but I don't know when I would get solid word if I actually got the JPL job or not.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I just ran the numbers.

so I assume you've finished playtesting then and are 100% sure these are the exact set of cards you are going to ship with?

No, of course not.

if that was the case, i'd be hiring artists, no.

i'm making the shitty placeholder art for the testing phase.

Because testing without art was shit.

It's a hobby, alright? i'll do it as ineficiently as i want.

a friend of mine designs board games and also teaches a class on the subject (both the game design aspect and how to get the thing produced side) and from what I observed his stuff is always done with bits from other games and hand scribbled notes and pennies with printed artwork taped on (that he just grabbed from google). At least until it is totally done with testing.

If one is being honest with a design, odds are it will be scrapped. The rare good idea always always alwasy undergoes extensive change once it has been playtested.

If you enjoy drawing stuff for your cards then great. But it seems to me that for where you are in the process spending 100 days making cards is not helping your game or getting you one iota closer to ever seeing it produced. It's having fun drawing. But it certainly is at best only marginally productive towards your actual game.

Except that all your posts on the subject seem to indicate that you aren't having fun drawing.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    jabob that looks really cool

I am hell of interested in that box. Despite the rules system (which was a version of the infamous but well-named Rollmaster) I loved the hell out of Middle Earth Roleplaying.

Anything you can post about the game mechanics I would like to hear. Also what the game suggests a "normal" adventure is like.

I understand it is set in Rhovanion in the 80 ish years between The Hobbit and Fellowship but would like to know what the game suggests as things for the players to do

here are the basics as I understand them (I literally just came home to it a few minutes ago):

the die mechanic is a d12 chance die plus a number of d6 equal to your ranking in the relevant skill. You want to get a total number equal to the difficulty of the task, but the chance die also modifies that with the chance to roll an exceptional success (12) or the Eye of Sauron (11). So you can succeed brilliantly, succeed normally, succeed but something bad happens (you pick the lock but a guard sees you), or fail normally, or fail really shittily.

Combat is based around stances. You choose your stance each round and your options are offensive, neutral, defensive, or ranged. Initiative is determined by stance plus dexterity rating (in that order, IIRC, so "offensive" characters all go first, then neutral characters, etc.) Some stances, like ranged, can only be taken if a certain number of your party are taking other stances - you can only shoot arrows from the back rank if you have guys doing offensive stance in the front rank, and so forth. I am told combat is speedy and decisive - the losers are dead, out of action, or routed in just a few rounds.

Wilderness travel is its own minigame; you need to bring supplies, hope you have a good map or a guide, and so forth, but supposedly it isn't a pixel-bitchy "keep track of how many pounds of meat you have" sort of thing, but based on contributing rolls from all the party. If your characters travel too long in wilderness, they risk becoming Weary, which affects their performance.

Your environment can affect your character's disposition. Your character has ratings for Hope and Shadow; the former starts at a high number, and the other at 0. You can spend Hope points for extra dice in a pinch, and your Shadow rating goes up when you do morally dubious things or are in depressing places like Mirkwood or Moria. If your Hope and Shadow numbers ever meet, your character has a Boromir moment and does something rash, selfish, or crazed that endangers the party at a crucial moment.

I'm told magic works like it does in the books, where it exists but is very low-key. Spells basically do things that might be explained as normal tricks with chemistry (Gandalf lighting stuff on fire or exploding pine cones or whatever) or probability (stuck doors miraculously open). Nobody's throwing lightning bolts around.

Character creation is a life path system that is heavily weighted by your character's race or culture (Men of Laketown vs. Men of Gondor will have totally different spreads, more than likely). Each race gets a special racial trick - halflings can hide really quickly, elves can talk to birds and trees and rivers and so on. There are lots of adventure specific skills like navigation and combat but also stuff like weaving and barrel making and so forth. However, those noncombat skills aren't really meant to be the lynchpin of bizarre plans the way they sometimes are in D&D - it's less there for coming up with clever plots involving weaving than to explain what your character does in the off-season.

And re: the off-season - apparently adventures might last many months or even some years, and your characters might hole up for the winter somewhere as a party (at Rivendell, for instance), or go their separate ways back to their homes. This is called the Fellowship phase; during it, the players roll to attempt various things like learning lore, singing songs, brewing beer, and so forth, and based on the rolls they decide what happened to their character and tell the GM. They have total control of the narrative during this period, at least as much as the dice cooperate. If their Fellowship rolls are successful, they earn Fellowship dice for the party, which can be spent for bonuses when needed.

The GM book that shipped with the set focuses on Rhovanion, yeah, although future books are supposed to expand that. The enemy types listed are basically wargs, goblins, spiders, and evil Men - there isn't a whole lot of variety as far as that goes, but the rules do include a lot of special options for various set pieces, terrain types, and objective types (capturing a point, making a fighting retreat from overwhelming odds, etc.) and I think that is where your combat variety is mainly supposed to come from.

rRwz9.gif
    i should take all my posts and publish them as one very awful book

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Due to retirement a spot on the JPL staff has opened up. I'd be a content writer for their web division mostly focusing on explaining complex scientific ideas in ways that 4th-6th graders can understand. It would be full time. I have not yet re-contracted for JET, but I don't know when I would get solid word if I actually got the JPL job or not.

Oh man , thats a doozy

agree with riemann, until you're completely finished testing i'm not sure why you'd be drawing pictures for cards, really

Brother Dating Problems

Do I want to know the context of this?

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Good morning [chat]. How goes?

We're all looking at the past and regretting our dissipated forum youths.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Just received a $15 gift certificate to Gamestop. I'm planning on stopping by soon, but I don't really have any games in mind. Any suggestions? I'm considering Dead Space.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    My first post was apparently about TF2? In the TF2 beta thread.

Weird.

Psn:wazukki
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

People who discovered the forums; saw a post; registered an account to tell someone off without learning anything at all about the forum culture first.

I did 2 then 1.

Casual wrote: »
    Brother Dating Problems

Do I want to know the context of this?
    a thread title in h/a

did not read it because that would just ruin it

I just ran the numbers.

so I assume you've finished playtesting then and are 100% sure these are the exact set of cards you are going to ship with?

No, of course not.

if that was the case, i'd be hiring artists, no.

i'm making the shitty placeholder art for the testing phase.

Because testing without art was shit.

It's a hobby, alright? i'll do it as ineficiently as i want.

a friend of mine designs board games and also teaches a class on the subject (both the game design aspect and how to get the thing produced side) and from what I observed his stuff is always done with bits from other games and hand scribbled notes and pennies with printed artwork taped on (that he just grabbed from google). At least until it is totally done with testing.

If one is being honest with a design, odds are it will be scrapped. The rare good idea always always alwasy undergoes extensive change once it has been playtested.

If you enjoy drawing stuff for your cards then great. But it seems to me that for where you are in the process spending 100 days making cards is not helping your game or getting you one iota closer to ever seeing it produced. It's having fun drawing. But it certainly is at best only marginally productive towards your actual game.

Except that all your posts on the subject seem to indicate that you aren't having fun drawing.

Yeah, but I've started...

It's gonna be weird playtesting with just 30-odd cards illlustrated...

Plus, let's be honest, with school, I won't have a lot of free time to playtest, but I'll have tons of time to doodle or write lore.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    agree with riemann, until you're completely finished testing i'm not sure why you'd be drawing pictures for cards, really

I thought I told this to him yesterday or earlier today.

Cards with text

Playtestgo

Psn:wazukki
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i know i'm getting old because I've been fantasizing about time travel a lot.

like, what I would give to just go back three years to smack some sense into past me

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »

eh, kind of.

Keeping industry on a different island works. But you can't just turn it into detroit without consequenes. There are some disasters that are more likely with high pollution.

Also high pollution kills the production of any farms so you'd have to keep it to production / mining only.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

I did 2 then 1.

I was definitely a 2.
    I had OPINIONS, man.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I just ran the numbers.

Actually, since this is just to get the play-testing looking a bit more formal, how do you feel about copyright infringement?

Edit: Also the problem can be narrowed down to one tool. :P

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071

This is even more exciting than laser cannons. The Newell has found new ways for us to show our devotion.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i feel like i am going to throw up from anxiety because i ordered food when my dad was home and that is the most unforgivable thing ever according to him

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Jurassic Park would be a good game if it weren't full of shitty QTEs that half the time don't even have any hints as to how to respond

no, a solid circle and a circle with a few rings inside a large circle, the first two of which don't seem to respond to mouse or keyboard movement, is not obivous

such terrible game design throughout it

who thought this was fun?

I just ran the numbers.

Actually, since this is just to get the play-testing looking a bit more formal, how do you feel about copyright infringement?

Edit: Also the problem can be narrowed down to one tool. :P

yeah, no.

Not doing that, I feel very strongly on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.