As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One [chat]

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I dunno how my placement is going anymore

I think I'm gonna pass

Maybe!

I know lots and lots of cardiology now, so that'll get me through placement as long as I can man up at final interview times. But that big ol' exam on the 30th ain't nothing to do with cardiology, gonna have to do exam revision mega super crunch to get through it.

Jugglin' these 2 entirely separate knowledge bases is haaaaard. When I specialize, I'm gonna forget everything else so quick. It shall be a joy.

Oh brilliant
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I just entered into season 2 of Cheers.

What like physically?

I suppose there are worst settings to be trapped in, Kirstie Alley is still pretty hot so there's that, but you have Reagan's presidency to live through

when does kirstie alley show up though? Cause at the start it was that Diane chick. Or was she just in season 1?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Wait, new plan.

How many teachers are on this board that'll be willing to turn making card drawings into a class assignment?

Hahaha oh man I do not think you would like the results of my students trying to interpret the english names of these cards.

Also I don't know if 21st wants to say his card art was one by jr. high slave labor. :P

It's not slave labour if it's over international borders!

The Niké sales person told me.

check the Crimes Act 1961 s98 (1) (d)

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    jabob that looks really cool

I am hell of interested in that box. Despite the rules system (which was a version of the infamous but well-named Rollmaster) I loved the hell out of Middle Earth Roleplaying.

Anything you can post about the game mechanics I would like to hear. Also what the game suggests a "normal" adventure is like.

I understand it is set in Rhovanion in the 80 ish years between The Hobbit and Fellowship but would like to know what the game suggests as things for the players to do
    here are the basics as I understand them (I literally just came home to it a few minutes ago):

the die mechanic is a d12 chance die plus a number of d6 equal to your ranking in the relevant skill. You want to get a total number equal to the difficulty of the task, but the chance die also modifies that with the chance to roll an exceptional success (12) or the Eye of Sauron (11). So you can succeed brilliantly, succeed normally, succeed but something bad happens (you pick the lock but a guard sees you), or fail normally, or fail really shittily.

Combat is based around stances. You choose your stance each round and your options are offensive, neutral, defensive, or ranged. Initiative is determined by stance plus dexterity rating (in that order, IIRC, so "offensive" characters all go first, then neutral characters, etc.) Some stances, like ranged, can only be taken if a certain number of your party are taking other stances - you can only shoot arrows from the back rank if you have guys doing offensive stance in the front rank, and so forth. I am told combat is speedy and decisive - the losers are dead, out of action, or routed in just a few rounds.

Wilderness travel is its own minigame; you need to bring supplies, hope you have a good map or a guide, and so forth, but supposedly it isn't a pixel-bitchy "keep track of how many pounds of meat you have" sort of thing, but based on contributing rolls from all the party. If your characters travel too long in wilderness, they risk becoming Weary, which affects their performance.

Your environment can affect your character's disposition. Your character has ratings for Hope and Shadow; the former starts at a high number, and the other at 0. You can spend Hope points for extra dice in a pinch, and your Shadow rating goes up when you do morally dubious things or are in depressing places like Mirkwood or Moria. If your Hope and Shadow numbers ever meet, your character has a Boromir moment and does something rash, selfish, or crazed that endangers the party at a crucial moment.

I'm told magic works like it does in the books, where it exists but is very low-key. Spells basically do things that might be explained as normal tricks with chemistry (Gandalf lighting stuff on fire or exploding pine cones or whatever) or probability (stuck doors miraculously open). Nobody's throwing lightning bolts around.

Character creation is a life path system that is heavily weighted by your character's race or culture (Men of Laketown vs. Men of Gondor will have totally different spreads, more than likely). Each race gets a special racial trick - halflings can hide really quickly, elves can talk to birds and trees and rivers and so on. There are lots of adventure specific skills like navigation and combat but also stuff like weaving and barrel making and so forth. However, those noncombat skills aren't really meant to be the lynchpin of bizarre plans the way they sometimes are in D&D - it's less there for coming up with clever plots involving weaving than to explain what your character does in the off-season.

And re: the off-season - apparently adventures might last many months or even some years, and your characters might hole up for the winter somewhere as a party (at Rivendell, for instance), or go their separate ways back to their homes. This is called the Fellowship phase; during it, the players roll to attempt various things like learning lore, singing songs, brewing beer, and so forth, and based on the rolls they decide what happened to their character and tell the GM. They have total control of the narrative during this period, at least as much as the dice cooperate. If their Fellowship rolls are successful, they earn Fellowship dice for the party, which can be spent for bonuses when needed.

The GM book that shipped with the set focuses on Rhovanion, yeah, although future books are supposed to expand that. The enemy types listed are basically wargs, goblins, spiders, and evil Men - there isn't a whole lot of variety as far as that goes, but the rules do include a lot of special options for various set pieces, terrain types, and objective types (capturing a point, making a fighting retreat from overwhelming odds, etc.) and I think that is where your combat variety is mainly supposed to come from.

late but this sounds awesome, :(

bloodyroarxx on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Diane was for the first like five or six years. Cheers was on for a really long time and miraculously never stopped being great.

rRwz9.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i mentioned it before, but for Playtesting, i'm using a computer program, LackeyCCG. it lets me play the cardgame over the internets.

It's handy because i don't have a board game group to play with.

heck that's even easier then

no need to print and cut out the text and stuff em into sleeves

Yeah, i know, super handy.

What's harder is finding people who want to spend hours to playtest.

Like me, i won't have time for games during the semester, but it takes less time for me to churn out a piece of card art than to play a game of Raiders and relics.

That's one of the reasons why i'm taking the semester to work on card art.

Also, i'm gonna try to work on making a nice-looking website for the game.

Casual wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    Where is my goddamn flying car?

Got hit by laser cannons.

my argument is always that people have enough trouble thinking in two dimensions; I don't want to see a world where every driver is expected to think in three.

Completely agree. Obviously the era of flying cars will be the end of humans driving themselves around. It'd have to be all auto pilot.

Phil: This jet pack project is going to be so exciting. Jet packs are the ultimate dream of every scientist. Skies teeming with ordinary citizens strapped to rockets.
    Lem: Flying through the air at 60 miles an hour in any direction... A lot of people are going to die

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Young Kirstie Alley was hot as fuck, though. I skipped ahead to a later season episode at one point and my TV nearly burst into flames.

rRwz9.gif
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I just entered into season 2 of Cheers.

:^:

And I finished watching Game of Thrones, and now I've seen 5 episodes of Boardwalk Empire. I think that'll occupy me for a couple of weeks.

Movies to be sprinkled in sporadically. Did you know Rosemary's Baby is now on Netflix?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Where is my goddamn flying car?

Got hit by laser cannons.

my argument is always that people have enough trouble thinking in two dimensions; I don't want to see a world where every driver is expected to think in three.

Completely agree. Obviously the era of flying cars will be the end of humans driving themselves around. It'd have to be all auto pilot.

Phil: This jet pack project is going to be so exciting. Jet packs are the ultimate dream of every scientist. Skies teeming with ordinary citizens strapped to rockets.
    Lem: Flying through the air at 60 miles an hour in any direction... A lot of people are going to die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDIojhOkV4w

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    So Feral, I ordered a playset of Temple Gardens a couple weeks ago. Since then, I have pulled 7 of them between my two boxes and various loose packs. Not Complaining.

jacob: I think I have digested your post on One Ring now

how do players get those Hope points? Cause it sounds cool but previously I have been really not a fan of games with a vauge non-renewable resources. EG: Karma in shadowrun.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    I'm at where Diane and Ted Danson start to hook up, but I hear that has an expiration date.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    What's [chat]'s vote for best movie of 2012?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    So Feral, I ordered a playset of Temple Gardens a couple weeks ago. Since then, I have pulled 7 of them between my two boxes and various loose packs. Not Complaining.

Damn.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Jokerman wrote: »

Ii think we can all agree on Prometheus.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I don't have an opinion on 'best', but the movie I enjoyed the most was
    Wreck-It Ralph

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

can I report you for this post

I haent seen Skyfall or Batman but Im going to say Django.

But my favorite was Avengers by a long shot.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i tried to start the hobbit earlier. it was a little too dense for me and i'm back to reading clancy because i'm a big stupid dumb who hates himself. i don't even like these fucking books! *kicks dirt*

But seriously, my favorite movie of 2012 is probably Django Unchained.

I feel like I haven't seen enough films to say.

smCQ5WE.jpg

can I report you for this post

Sadly no, you can't report for awesome anymore, you can just click on "awesome" instead.

But if I had to pick, with a knife to my balls, I'd say Django.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Les Mis made me cry and had a huge emotional impact. Lincoln was well done. I saw the Avengers multiple times and just loved it. Batman was good. I really like the Hobbit as well.

I think oscar worthy it goes to Les Mis or Lincoln. For most fun it would be the Avengers. Hobbit would be a close second though.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited January 2013
    Man, The Avengers was 2012? It feels like AGES ago.

Feral on

i liked django a lot. i liked zero dark thirty, but not as much. i liked avengers but i think a lot of that was just seeing it with friends and all the fun visuals. i don't know how much i loved it in a holistic sense. i'm not sure what else.

Gabe Newell letting the floodgates open on Steam Box
    • Valve's own Steam Box (Gabe actually refers to it as this) will be sold by Valve and will run Linux, though you can install Windows on it if you want. "This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination", he says.

• The controller shipping with Valve's Steam Box won't use motion, but as expected, they will probably use some kind of biometric feedback. "Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we're a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method." He also mentions gaze-tracking as being "super important".

• Valve wants you to make your own Steam stores. "Some people will create team stores, some people will creates Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says 'these are the worst games on Steam.' So that's an example of where our thinking is leading us right now."

• The Steam Box - code-named "Bigfoot" at Valve - won't just be a PC. It'll be a server, too, with the near future enabling you to "have one PC and eight televisions and eight controllers and everybody getting great performance out of it". The LAN party just made a comeback. Only without all the cables.

Cabin in the Woods was also p. great.

edited January 2013
    What's [chat]'s vote for best worst movie of 2012?

The Lorax

I didn't see it but I would guess that American Pie sequel was probably bowel wrenchingly horrible and deeply pathetic. Even in a year that contained both Battleship and Pirhanna 3D I think an American Pie sequel pushes them off the list.

hmm.. what did Seth Rogan shit out last year?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I haent seen Skyfall or Batman but Im going to say Django.

But my favorite was Avengers by a long shot.
    I have seen all of those, and I still say Django Unchained.

Tarantino totally deserves an Academy Award for it, but won't get one, since it doesn't fit the Oscar formula. Which is stupid bullshit, and makes the Oscars stupid bullshit.

The Lorax

I didn't see it but I would guess that American Pie sequel was probably bowel wrenchingly horrible and deeply pathetic. Even in a year that contained both Battleship and Pirhanna 3D I think an American Pie sequel pushes them off the list.

hmm.. what did Seth Rogan shit out last year?

zack and miri (like, 2008 i think?) was amazing

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I really want to see Django but I haven't seen it yet. Probably won't for a bit. Because school has started and I have very little free time now.

u7stthr17eud.png
    2012 ended up being, against my expectations, a fucking terrific year for movies.

Me personally, I'd go with Skyfall for my favorite movie of the year because it hit the sweet spot of Bond film-but not dumb-but still fun that I have been waiting years for. But Avengers, Django, Batman, Wreck-It Ralph, or even Rise of the Guardians are all absolutely valid choices.

rRwz9.gif
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Gabe Newell letting the floodgates open on Steam Box
    • Valve's own Steam Box (Gabe actually refers to it as this) will be sold by Valve and will run Linux, though you can install Windows on it if you want. "This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination", he says.

• The controller shipping with Valve's Steam Box won't use motion, but as expected, they will probably use some kind of biometric feedback. "Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we're a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method." He also mentions gaze-tracking as being "super important".

• Valve wants you to make your own Steam stores. "Some people will create team stores, some people will creates Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says 'these are the worst games on Steam.' So that's an example of where our thinking is leading us right now."

• The Steam Box - code-named "Bigfoot" at Valve - won't just be a PC. It'll be a server, too, with the near future enabling you to "have one PC and eight televisions and eight controllers and everybody getting great performance out of it". The LAN party just made a comeback. Only without all the cables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdjzNErvxFg

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    you know i just remembered that i had an account before the forum wipe reset

it was like

gilgamesh something or the other

probably befcause i learned about gilgamesh in a history class freshman year or something

poo
    I cried during Les Mis, but I didn't think it was great. Or very good.

Maybe I need to watch the stage show at some point, but I didn't l leave the theater thinking that adapting Hugo's novel to -whatever that was- was a good idea.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    i liked avengers in a this was what i wanted out of an avengers movie yes sense

but django was amazing

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Lincoln should win best actor. No question. DDL delivered.

Hobbit was so much fun, but not really award-winning fun. Like the Avengers. Both were fantastic films but not really Oscar movies.

Dark Knight Rises was the weakest of the three batman movies. Still great, but not really anything to go in my best of the year category.

I still need to see Django and ZDT. And Les Mis... though I have already seen the latter on Broadway, so I am not expecting much new.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited January 2013
    jacob: I think I have digested your post on One Ring now

how do players get those Hope points? Cause it sounds cool but previously I have been really not a fan of games with a vauge non-renewable resources. EG: Karma in shadowrun.

oh, it's not like Karma or Wisdom/Humanity/etc in White Wolf games where you're inexorably sliding toward madness, it's fairly easy to get back, either by spending time in hopeful places or during the Fellowship phase.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.