As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One [chat]

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Gabe Newell letting the floodgates open on Steam Box
    • Valve's own Steam Box (Gabe actually refers to it as this) will be sold by Valve and will run Linux, though you can install Windows on it if you want. "This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination", he says.

• The controller shipping with Valve's Steam Box won't use motion, but as expected, they will probably use some kind of biometric feedback. "Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we're a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method." He also mentions gaze-tracking as being "super important".

• Valve wants you to make your own Steam stores. "Some people will create team stores, some people will creates Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says 'these are the worst games on Steam.' So that's an example of where our thinking is leading us right now."

• The Steam Box - code-named "Bigfoot" at Valve - won't just be a PC. It'll be a server, too, with the near future enabling you to "have one PC and eight televisions and eight controllers and everybody getting great performance out of it". The LAN party just made a comeback. Only without all the cables.

Sounds prohibitively expensive.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    the middle 1/2 or so of Life of Pi was pretty damn amazing.

a lot of the begining and end were a little too blatently Oscar-Baiting. Still well worth seeing though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Aw yiss my new tea set

HFRpm.jpg?1

Organichu wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    What's [chat]'s vote for best worst movie of 2012?

The Lorax

I didn't see it but I would guess that American Pie sequel was probably bowel wrenchingly horrible and deeply pathetic. Even in a year that contained both Battleship and Pirhanna 3D I think an American Pie sequel pushes them off the list.

hmm.. what did Seth Rogan shit out last year?

zack and miri (like, 2008 i think?) was amazing

true. But I think that was more in-spite-of Rogan than because of.

also just want to make clear I had a total brain fart and thought that joker had said "worst movie of 2012".

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    tl dr you fuckin matcha tea nerd

poo
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    jacob: I think I have digested your post on One Ring now

how do players get those Hope points? Cause it sounds cool but previously I have been really not a fan of games with a vauge non-renewable resources. EG: Karma in shadowrun.

oh, it's not like Karma or Wisdom/Humanity/etc in White Wolf games where you're inexorably sliding toward madness, it's fairly easy to get back, either by spending time in hopeful places or during the Fellowship phase.

oh ok. Yeah from what you said about the fellowship phase that makes sense.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    • Valve's own Steam Box (Gabe actually refers to it as this) will be sold by Valve and will run Linux, though you can install Windows on it if you want. "This is not some locked box by any stretch of the imagination", he says.

• The controller shipping with Valve's Steam Box won't use motion, but as expected, they will probably use some kind of biometric feedback. "Maybe the motion stuff is just failure of imagination on our part, but we're a lot more excited about biometrics as an input method." He also mentions gaze-tracking as being "super important".

• Valve wants you to make your own Steam stores. "Some people will create team stores, some people will creates Sony stores, some people will create stores with only games that they think meet their quality bar. Somebody is going to create a store that says 'these are the worst games on Steam.' So that's an example of where our thinking is leading us right now."

• The Steam Box - code-named "Bigfoot" at Valve - won't just be a PC. It'll be a server, too, with the near future enabling you to "have one PC and eight televisions and eight controllers and everybody getting great performance out of it". The LAN party just made a comeback. Only without all the cables.

I asumme it will be in similar form and price to the Alienware X51 they start at $700

alienware-x51-main_large_verge_super_wide.jpg

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What's [chat]'s vote for best movie of 2012?
    I haent seen Skyfall or Batman but Im going to say Django.

But my favorite was Avengers by a long shot.
    I have seen all of those, and I still say Django Unchained.

Tarantino totally deserves an Academy Award for it, but won't get one, since it doesn't fit the Oscar formula. Which is stupid bullshit, and makes the Oscars stupid bullshit.

I want to go back, and watch a planation burning in the night. The antebellum south was never so justly treated.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Feral wrote: »

If someone built it on their own or in a small production run yeah

I dunno though. If valve is willing to take a loss at first and really commit to this it could be reasonable.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    syndalis wrote: »
    Lincoln should win best actor. No question. DDL delivered.

Hobbit was so much fun, but not really award-winning fun. Like the Avengers. Both were fantastic films but not really Oscar movies.

Dark Knight Rises was the weakest of the three batman movies. Still great, but not really anything to go in my best of the year category.

I still need to see Django and ZDT. And Les Mis... though I have already seen the latter on Broadway, so I am not expecting much new.

I have seen two broadway cast as they have gone through Denver and once in London which usually got higher marks and I will tell you the movie was probably one of the best performances I have seen of the musical. And believing you won't get anything new out of it is selling it short.

@Elki

I tend to separate the musical from the book because they are just slightly linked. And really I wouldn't try to compare the two.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    Actually I must be wrong because the prototype at CES looks smaller

valvesteambox10_1020_verge_super_wide.jpg

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    tl dr you fuckin matcha tea nerd

“Who would then deny that when I am sipping tea in my tearoom I am swallowing the whole universe with it and that this very moment of my lifting the bowl to my lips is eternity itself transcending time and space?” - DT Suzuki

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    My future mother in law just posted that I should apply to work for "the queen" and be a dishwasher for the royal family.

I thought she was joking, but I fear she may be being serious...

Lh96QHG.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

I am most excited about this from a lanning perspective. If this thing is reasonably priced I'll pick one up to be a LAN machine. I'm sceptical a little dual core machine could run 8 separate displays though.

Actually I must be wrong because the prototype at CES looks smaller

*snip*

the prototype could very well be smaller than the production unit. Especially if in the prototype they weren't too worried about noise or cooling.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    3rd post but lol yea I was kinda right

steam_box_setup.jpg

Casual wrote: »

I am most excited about this from a lanning perspective. If this thing is reasonably priced I'll pick one up to be a LAN machine. I'm sceptical a little dual core machine could run 8 separate displays though.

oh is it only dual core?

big mistake there. biiiiiig mistake.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i liked the master a whole lot

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    tldr have you read his zen buddhism book

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

oh is it only dual core?

doubtful no way they ship with that, itll be a midrange i5

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What's [chat]'s vote for best movie of 2012?
    I haent seen Skyfall or Batman but Im going to say Django.

But my favorite was Avengers by a long shot.
    I have seen all of those, and I still say Django Unchained.

Tarantino totally deserves an Academy Award for it, but won't get one, since it doesn't fit the Oscar formula. Which is stupid bullshit, and makes the Oscars stupid bullshit.
    I want to go back, and watch a planation burning in the night. The antebellum south was never so justly treated.
    It's really the most interesting movie of the year, by far. Which is what should really be Oscar bait; it's fairly innovative, it honestly addresses a subject that hasn't been seriously touched on in popular entertainment since... what, Roots, probably? And does it in an incredibly creative and entertaining way.

I cannot think of another movie that has had moments that were both appalling and serious, and so funny, without really seeming to break immersion at all.

oh is it only dual core?

yeah that's what I was thinking. A dual core in prototypes or whatever sure. But I would really hope it ships with some kind of quad.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Eddy wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    tldr have you read his zen buddhism book
    Just Zen and the Art of Tea

What book are you referring to?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm thinking Django as well, but I'm constantly afraid I'm forgetting something else.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    one one trillion dollar coin

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think it's just called Zen Buddhism, it's edited by some white guy. I liked the nature bits in it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i'm surprised that you liked skyfall, jacob

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I asumme it will be in similar form and price to the Alienware X51 they start at $700

alienware-x51-main_large_verge_super_wide.jpg

The 660Ti they have in the $1100 version could render multiple screens at reasonable framerates, judging from its 1080p 4xFSAA performance (because that's basically what FSAA is doing). The 640 can't, though.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    blood diamonds thread started interesting but is quickly turning into an ouroborus of stupid

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I mean Django should win if only for making me like a Jim Croce song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHVBzLGAIbU

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @vanguard

send me your numbers in a PM and I'll see wtf is up. do this years and last years

don't have to be exact

tyrannus on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

oh is it only dual core?

yeah that's what I was thinking. A dual core in prototypes or whatever sure. But I would really hope it ships with some kind of quad.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/08/do-you-want-to-get-piston/

This has a little more info. I can't remember where I read it was dual core, perhaps that is a load of shit. Still with integrated graphics 8 separate displays still seems ambitious. I have a £300 card that can only do 4.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    This is still one of my favorite books on Zen.

Beginners Mind, Zen Mind

u7stthr17eud.png
    we didn't read half of the papers we cite because they are behind a paywall

pffffttttt

Mazzyx wrote: »
    This is still one of my favorite books on Zen.

Beginners Mind, Zen Mind

Classic.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    bwuh??
    mikeman started a hero academy game with me?

mikeman?!?!

poo
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    i'm surprised that you liked skyfall, jacob

it was eye-poppingly beautiful, had some action I found genuinely exciting, and there was some actual emotion at the core of the story.

some of the mechanics of the plot were ludicrous, but whatever, that is more or less the default setting of bond films, even the really good ones.

also the surprise appearance of that one thing in the garage near the end of the movie gave me a throbbing erection that wouldn't quit.

rRwz9.gif
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    i liked the master a whole lot

yeah phoenix would get best actor from me

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
This discussion has been closed.