As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic the Gathering: 五公会新异能公开, 暗码, 敲诈, 血激, 协战, 进化

• drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    I am pretty happy with that haste guy

though he does force you to attack so there's a timing to his play

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    The floor isn't the worst but my cat has to be sleeping or she is all over the place trying to play with the dice. :(

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I would want to play that guy over Lightning Maulr in RDW. That drawback is pretty substantial for RDW.

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Sara: They sell these cheap foldup camping tables at most outdoor sections in big stores. They should only run $15-$20. They are small but should work for MTG.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I am positively anxious to start building a boros deck.

• Panic ButtonPanic Button Robo-cannibal Registered User regular
    Haste Goblin can be cast Turn 3 after your combat phase, so you don't have to smash him into anything. If you have any way to jump to 5 mana, follow up next turn with Wolfir Silverheart for all the jollies. He could also be fun with multiple copies of Burning Tree Emissary, allowing you to chuck a whole hasty army onto the board. You'd run right into a sweeper, though.

Drawings and short stories: sketchatron.tumblr.com
  • ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Awesome: Seeing all these new cards with new mechanics and running ideas through your head on how to apply them in a deck and all the countless possibilities.

Less then awesome: I can spend maybe... $15 on cards every two weeks with my budget.

ImperatorXXV on
    r7r7a0.gif
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    At any given moment I have a $15-30 shopping cart at LotusVault with about 38 different cards in it because they "could work" in something.

Then I have to put 75% of them back. It's like going to the Home Depot and filling your cart with all those amazing new light bulbs you've never seen before and then being like "what the fuck, it does not matter that they are LCDs and get three cents per therm, I do not own this many lamps"

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    At any given moment I have a $15-30 shopping cart at LotusVault with about 38 different cards in it because they "could work" in something.

Then I have to put 75% of them back. It's like going to the Home Depot and filling your cart with all those amazing new light bulbs you've never seen before and then being like "what the fuck, it does not matter that they are LCDs and get three cents per therm, I do not own this many lamps"

This line is great. Bravo sir.

• DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    so I just realized the new fieldwide haste goblin might enable new krenko shenanigans

7yh4xczljsym.png
    So since Sars isn't around anymore to help me understand what cards do, I'm gonna go through my deck and ask some dumb questions about some of my cards. Things I've learned but have since forgotten, cause my brain is bad.
    Selesnya Keyrune: I am 80% sure of this, but when I make it a 3/3 wolf it doesn't have summoning sickness, correct? Otherwise idk the point of even turning it into a creature for one turn if you can't attack.
    Guildgates: Enter tapped but don't count as usable mana for that turn, right?
    Rootborn Defenses: This basically protects all my creatures from death, right? Like if someone does enough damage to a creature that would kill it, it doesn't kill it?
    Populate in general: Do new tokens have summoning sickness like creatures when they're created, or can I immediately attack with them?
    Scavenge: I kind of don't get it still. For instance, I have a Deadbridge Goliath. How does he work?
    Arbor Elf: So if I tap a forest to cast something this turn, and I use him to untap a forest, does that mean I can use that land again in the same turn?
    Golgari Decoy: I used this against Sars and he had to call a friend to explain it, but I still forget. Does it basically mean that the opponent has to block him no matter what, but with any creature they choose? I assume multiple creatures can't block against one, but the text implies that's what happens.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    so I just realized the new fieldwide haste goblin might enable new krenko shenanigans

Eh, Goblin Chieftain did the same thing for Krenko, but better, and Krenko still didn't see play before rotation.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    So since Sars isn't around anymore to help me understand what cards do, I'm gonna go through my deck and ask some dumb questions about some of my cards. Things I've learned but have since forgotten, cause my brain is bad.
    Selesnya Keyrune: I am 80% sure of this, but when I make it a 3/3 wolf it doesn't have summoning sickness, correct? Otherwise idk the point of even turning it into a creature for one turn if you can't attack.
    Rootborn Defenses: This basically protects all my creatures from death, right? Like if someone does enough damage to a creature that would kill it, it doesn't kill it?
    Populate in general: Do new tokens have summoning sickness like creatures when they're created, or can I immediately attack with them?
    Scavenge: I kind of don't get it still. For instance, I have a Deadbridge Goliath. How does he work?
    Arbor Elf: So if I tap a forest to cast something this turn, and I use him to untap a forest, does that mean I can use that land again in the same turn?
    Golgari Decoy: I used this against Sars and he had to call a friend to explain it, but I still forget. Does it basically mean that the opponent has to block him no matter what, but with any creature they choose? I assume multiple creatures can't block against one, but the text implies that's what happens.

Selesnya Keyrune: mostly correct. Summoning sickness applies to the card as a whole, which means that if you cast the Keyrune and then transform it that turn it will have summoning sickness, but in later turns it will not.
    Guildgates: correct.
    Rootborn: correct, but also moreso. Indestructible protects against a lot of things.
    Populate: they have summoning sickness.
    Scavenge: once that creature enters the graveyard you can pay that cost to trigger the scavenge effect. Exile removes it from the graveyard so you can only do it once per creature.
    Arbor Elf: correct.
    Golgari Decoy: multiple creatures can block one.

admanb on
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    The keyrune only has summoning sickness the first turn it comes out

Guildgates: correct

Rootborn defenses: correct, but things that reduce its toughness below zero will still kill it (aka -1-1 counters)

Tokens have summoning sickness. So if possible you want to make them at the end step of your opponents turn. It's a tricky way to get around summoning sickness

Scavenge. When he dies, you can pay the cost and put him into the exile zone. And take his power (which is 5) and put 5 one one counters on a creature. If you had a centaur that is 3/3 it would effectively make him an 8/8. But once he is exiled he is not in the graveyard, so you can't do it repeatedly, nor does he count for any graveyard based effects

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular

Okay, i'm not a pro by any means, but....
    Selesnya Keyrune: Yup!
    Guildgate: Right.
    Rootborn Defenses: Long story short, yes.
    Populate: I think they do, yeah, but I could be wrong there.
    Scavenge: The creature you want to activate scavenge on has to be in the graveyard. Then, lets say you're using Deadbridge Goliath, you would pay 4GG and then put 5 +1/+1 counters on a creature you have on the battlefield.
    Arbor Elf: Yep!
    Golgari Decoy: Multiple creatures will ALL block that creature.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Selesnya Keyrune
    If you just played the Keyrune that turn, it has Summoning Sickness. Otherwise, you are correct, it doesn't get it every time you activate the effect.

Guildgates
    You can only get mana from a land by tapping it when it is untapped, so that is correct.

Rootborn Defenses
    Correct. They can't be destroyed by damage or effects that would destroy them. If their toughness would drop below zero, they still die

Populate in general:
    The new token has summoning sickness.

Scavenge:
    Remove [Card With Scavenge] in your graveyard from the game, then put +1/+1 Counters equal to it's printed power onto target creature.

Arbor Elf:
    Yes, you can reuse the land. You can use it to cast the same spell even.

Golgari Decoy:
    Any creatures your opponent has that can block it must. Multiple creatures can block one. Creatures that can't block (ie have: This creature cannot block) won't block it because they are not allowed to.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Arbor elf: correct

Golgari decoyn: multiple creatures can block, and have to block him if he attacks. You choose where the damage that decoy does is assigned. So he is a 2/2. If he blocks with a 1/1 and a 3/3 you can choose to have his 2 damage done to the 1/1 instead of the 3/3

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    HAH I BEAT EVERY ONE OF YOU

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

1. Keyrunes have summoning sickness the first turn they are out, like any other permanent. It only matters if you make it a creature by using its second ability, then it's like a creature in all respects (can't attack or use tap abilities). So don't animate keyrunes the first turn they are out.
    2. Guildgates enter the battlefield tapped, so you can't tap them for mana the turn they come into play. It does count as your land drop for the turn.
    3. Rootborn defense prevents your creatures from dying due to lethal damage, or spells/abilities that specifically say "destroy." If you exile it, or put -1/-1 counters on it, it can still leave the battlefield.
    4. Populate tokens have summoning sickness like any other creature.
    5. Scavenge works like this: If a creature with scavenge is in your graveyard, you can pay the scavenge cost and exile it from your graveyard to your exile zone. If you do, target creature you control gets X +1/+1 counters, where X is the creature you exiled's power. For the Goliath, you pay 4GG, and exile it. Target creature you control gets 5 +1/+1 counters.
    6. That is how arbor elf works. He lets you use a forest twice in one turn. Note this isn't just basic forests, it works with Temple Garden, Overgrown Tomb, Stomping Grounds, and Breeding Pool.
    7. If you attack with Golgari decoy, your opponent has to block it with every creature that could. This means a few things. Your opponent CAN'T block your other attacking creatures. Your opponent's untapped creatures have to block the Decoy, unless they have an ability that says they can't block. If Decoy had flying, only your opponent's creatures that can block fliers could block Decoy for example. But under normal circumstances, if I attack with Decoy plus one other creature, and my opponent has two creatures, those two block decoy and my other creature deals damage to my opponent.

silence1186 on
  • I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    For Populate and the Keyrune: when they enter the battlefield they have summoning sickness. Doesn't matter if you cast them, populated them, created them as tokens with a spell, or turned an artifact into a creature. If a full turn has not passed since it entered the battlefield, a creature can't attack or tap to use activated abilities. The only exceptions are if it has haste or if the creature enters the battlefield attacking (which is an effect of certain cards/abilities)

Also: Breeding Poo.

Thanks everyone! Glad to know I retained most of the info I learned a few weeks ago.

I got another Golgari Decoy recently, should try and figure out a way to put it into my deck, as I only have one right now. Seems like a cool card.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Selesnya Keyrune: If you turn it into a creature the turn you played it, it does have summoning sickness (and can also no longer tap for mana). After that turn, it no longer suffers from summoning sickness.

Rootborn Defenses: Mostly yes. It protects your creatures from cards that say "Destroy," and prevents them from dying due to damage. However, it doesn't prevent them from being exiled (or Terminus'd), and if their actual toughness is reduced to 0 (not from damage, but from -1/-1 counters or cards like Tragic Slip) they will die.

Scavenge: If Deadbridge Goliath is in your graveyard, regardless of how he got there, you can pay his scavenge cost to put five +1/+1 counters on a creature. You can only do this during one of your main phases, so pre or post combat on your turn, and the card is then exiled (removed from the game).

Arbor Elf: Yes, that's how it works. Because of summoning sickness, you can't do this the turn you play him (unless you give him haste, for example using the recently spoiled goblin) but every turn after that you can basically use him to get one extra mana per turn.

Golgari Decoy: Multiple creatures can block one target. If someone's attacking you with a 4/4, you can kill it by blocking with two 2/2s. So yes, Golgari Decoy requires that all creatures that can block it do so. Tapped creatures and creatures with the clause "Cannot Block" (like unleash creatures) cannot be made to block it.

Peccavi on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think I would want to play that guy over Lightning Maulr in RDW. That drawback is pretty substantial for RDW.
    Like hell.

You don't want it in every deck, but you want it on your sideboard for U/W control.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Selesnya Keyrune: I am 80% sure of this, but when I make it a 3/3 wolf it doesn't have summoning sickness, correct? Otherwise idk the point of even turning it into a creature for one turn if you can't attack. Correct. Unless you turn it into a wolf the turn you cast the keyrune
    Guildgates: Enter tapped but don't count as usable mana for that turn, right? Correct. Unless you have a way to untap the land during your turn (not possible for a guildgate in standard)
    Rootborn Defenses: This basically protects all my creatures from death, right? Like if someone does enough damage to a creature that would kill it, it doesn't kill it? Correct, creatures that are indestructible cannot go to the graveyard from damage. This does not protect them from cards that exile them (like Oblivion Ring) or effects that would cause them to be sacrificed.
    Populate in general: Do new tokens have summoning sickness like creatures when they're created, or can I immediately attack with them? Any creature when it enters the battlefield has summoning sickness unless an effect specifically states otherwise.
    Scavenge: I kind of don't get it still. For instance, I have a Deadbridge Goliath. How does he work? If a creature with scavenge is in your graveyard you can pay the scavenge cost to add +1/+1 counters equal to that card's power on any target creature. The card has to be in your graveyard for you to be able to activate the ability and the card is then exiled from the game.
    Arbor Elf: So if I tap a forest to cast something this turn, and I use him to untap a forest, does that mean I can use that land again in the same turn? Yes
    Golgari Decoy: I used this against Sars and he had to call a friend to explain it, but I still forget. Does it basically mean that the opponent has to block him no matter what, but with any creature they choose? I assume multiple creatures can't block against one, but the text implies that's what happens. You can assign as many creatures as you would like to block any creature. This is called multi blocking. Golgari Decoy makes it so that all creatures that your opponent controls that can block have to block Golgari Decoy. This allows you to attack with multiple creatures and makes it so that only your Golgari Decoy is blocked (unless your opponent has a way to make his creatures be able to block more than one creature at a time. There is no way to do this in standard currently.)
    For future reference you can multi block at will. So if your oppenent is attacking with a 2/3 that you really want to die but all you have are three 1/1's you can have all three 1/1's block the 2/3. Their combined toughness is enough to kill the 2/3. Your opponent decides how to distribute the 2 damage his creature deals, allowing him to destroy two of the 1/1's.

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    Selesnya Keyrune: EVERYTHING gets summoning sickness, including lands and artifacts (like the keyrune). Summoning Sickness only MATTERS to creatures though, because it means the creature cannot attack (essentially it cannot TAP).
    This means that if you had 5 lands you can cast Selesnya Keyrune and Activate it, but NOT attack with it
    However on your subsequent turns you are freely allowed to activate the keyrune and attack with it. Summoning Sickness only effects things that you have not controlled since the BEGINNING of your turn.

Guildgates: Yes, they enter tapped, you cannot use them
    Rootborn Defenses: There are some things that can get rid of destructable creatures, one of these is EXILE, the other is applying -1/-1 effects to the creature. You most likely have some cards that can EXILE, but to my knowledge there are not currently at -1/-1 type effect cards in Ravnica and M13
    Populate in general: EVERYTHING has summoning sickness, however,
    Scavenge: If he is in the graveyard you can use his ability. But ONLY as a Sorcery. This means his ability can only be activated during your turn either on the MAIN PHASE or SECOND MAIN PHASE. You cannot for example Scavenge on the opponent's turn or during an attack

Arbor Elf: Yes, mana can FLOAT. which means it stays in a pool of mana to be used at any time during one of the phases (main phases, attack phase, end phase). However once you change from one phase to the other this pool is EMPTIED out. So if you tap a forest you get 1 mana. Then you can tap the arbor elf to untap the forest. the forest can now be tapped again. Giving you two mana in your pool to freely spend. Or you can wait however long you want to untap or tap that forest a second time.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Like hell.

You don't want it in every deck, but you want it on your sideboard for U/W control.

Not so sure. In current RDW the only 4 or 5 CMC creatures are Hellrider and Hellkite so most of the time you'll be throwing down a bunch of haste guys after him anyway.

Maybe this will allow RDW to play different cards but right now the only really benefit I see is when you top deck one of your lower drops afteryou've curved out.

Quire.jpg
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    and even then a lot of the lower drops have haste in lightning mauler/ash zealot, or still function like stonewright

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that guy is just really not good for RDW. Maybe good for token shenanigans, but the current builds of RDW don't want him and I don't see that changing much after rotation. You can believe me or not, I just know I've been playing RDW in this Standard (and previous Standards, and Modern, and Legacy) for a long time. That dude just doesn't do enough and he has a drawback that is absolutely terrible.

You don't really want him against U/W because sure, you'll get in one attack after a Supreme Verdict, then your dudes are going to run into Restoration Angel whether you want to save them for a Hellrider trigger win or not.

jgeis on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    it might have to do with the fact that RDW is trash regardless ;)

lolno

kekekekeke

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    Lightning Mauler is strictly better than that guy in RDW. In a more midrange or rampy Gruul/Naya deck that dog might hunt, but definitely not real aggro.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
    So just to clarify again, since it was discussed earlier that yes, you CAN Encode on a Keyrune and it will stay:

What that is saying then, is that you can make the Dimir Keyrune a 2/2 unblockable, cast Undercity Plague, encode it on the Keyrune, and then at the end of your turn... it is no longer susceptible to Murder, Verdict or damage. And then on your next turn you can make it an unblockable creature again that destroys a permanent on hit.

Assuming I have that correct, I'm not alone in recognizing how absurd that is, am I?

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm 99% sure that's how it'll work, yeah

and its dumb!

can you encode more than 1 effect to a permanent?

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I would assume so, they all operate on the same trigger and seem to function basically the same as enchantments

can you encode the same permanent with the same cipher twice? I think you might

2x39jD4.jpg
  • drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    as far as I know you can

edit: basically if something does not explicitly say you can't do it more than once, assume you can

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    also @The Good Doctor Tran

as someone who is more rules knowledgeable than myself, does the Signal the Clans spell (the one that searches out three creature cards and adds one at random to your hand) allow for a failed-to-find or is it, as worded with the "search your library for three creature cards", required to find 3 cards if at least that many exist?

I thought that anything that asked for a specific card characteristic would enable a failed to find but people on Salvation were guessing that that specific wording was used to stop failed-to-find manipulations

a1o1MZu.jpg
    Yeah that was actually going to be one of my next questions but much like Enchantments or Equipment it appears you can encode as much as you want on the same creature.

Also: I assume if you take control of an encoded creature (Switcheroo, Zealous Conscripts, etc.) the encoded spells stay. Since the exact wording of the activation of Cipher is "its controller may cast the encoded spell" that means if you control the creature you are also the controller of the spell cast upon delivering combat damage. That is also different from Auras and Equipment and again, kind of ridiculous.

edited January 2013
    drp527 wrote: »
    also @The Good Doctor Tran

as someone who is more rules knowledgeable than myself, does the Signal the Clans spell (the one that searches out three creature cards and adds one at random to your hand) allow for a failed-to-find or is it, as worded with the "search your library for three creature cards", required to find 3 cards if at least that many exist?

I thought that anything that asked for a specific card characteristic would enable a failed to find but people on Salvation were guessing that that specific wording was used to stop failed-to-find manipulations

I would assume that, going by the premise that if you are ordered by a card to do something that is possible to do, you have to do it, you must search for and reveal three different cards if there are three different creatures in your library. If there aren't, you don't do it. But then you don't get to continue with the rest of the effects of the card.

Imagine if a spell said "get three apples from the table. Then, if you have three apples, eat one." If there are only two apples on the table, you can't get three apples. Since you stopped there, the rest of the process is invalid. You don't eat an apple at all. You just stop.

Now imagine the spell said "get three apples from the table. If they are all different colors, eat one." If you have three apples on the table but they are all red, again, you get the apples from the table, but then you stop because you don't meet the next criteria.

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
This discussion has been closed.