As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 1 / 9 / 13: How many years was I asleep?

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited January 2013 in Graphic Violence
I didn't pick up any floppies this week, but I had to make this week's thread so I could very belatedly rave about Habibi which I ignored last year a d started reading last night.

Wow, this book. I flipped through Blankets when it came out and it didn't really grab me.

Here's a two-color poster of one of the memorable scenes from Habibi:

DJFAbl.jpg

This book is gorgeous and harsh. I'm less than halfway through and really impressed; this is the kind of dense work that requires going back a second time to absorb all the details. It reminds me of what I liked about. Cartoon History of the Universe, in a way.

desc on

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Only had time to read Avengers Arena #3 so far, but man what horseshit!

They show some footage of Cammi in Annihilation running with Drax, Nova, and Star-Lord....but Quill is in his GotG costume with the helmet! Horse crap, he didn't get that til after Conquest! Subscription cancelled!

Just kidding, I actually liked that issue, a good Cammi issue that pretty reasonably explains what she's been up to since Annihilation, which is being a bad ass space pirate.

Also,
    Darkhawk
    died at the end which was teh suck.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Only had time to read Avengers Arena #3 so far, but man what horseshit!

They show some footage of Cammi in Annihilation running with Drax, Nova, and Star-Lord....but Quill is in his GotG costume with the helmet! Horse crap, he didn't get that til after Conquest! Subscription cancelled!

Just kidding, I actually liked that issue, a good Cammi issue that pretty reasonably explains what she's been up to since Annihilation, which is being a bad ass space pirate.

Also,
    Darkhawk
    died at the end which was teh suck.
    That sucks, but hopefully they'll use it to pass down the mantle to a new person.

Kyougu on
    Oh, totally. I mean, the
    crystal thingy for the darkhawk powers
    was ripped out and just left there, so....

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    by "someone" you guys mean Chase or Cammi, right?

because those are the best choices.

Ohhh.

Chase would be a great choice.

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It'll probably fall by the wayside and be forgotten in a year's time

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Action Comics #16 is def the big "setup" before the giant conclusion issue. Krypto to the rescue!
    ctkgc.jpg

WGjxm.jpg

Thor God of Thunder #4 was a little disorienting on where each scene in the issue took place at times. Though who care, Future Thor!
    DmlRG.jpg

VWP08.jpg

A1521.jpg

Ultimate Comics X-Men #21 has "idealistic" Kitty facing some realness. (Also great Iron Patriot moment)
    mQpf2.jpg

avDtO.jpg

7RSuV.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Haven't read everything from today yet, but I did read Earth 2. Now -that- is how you preform a coup. This comic is fantastic at creating threatening villains and just world building in general and I'm going to attribute a lot of the fact to that Robinson has no limits and can do whatever the fuck he wants with his own universe and characters.

And World's Finest has finally tied into the Huntress miniseries in a good way.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    did they kill off Juston/his sentinel in AA yet

anyway, Robots in Disguise #13, Starscream has a "conversation" with a beaten up and imprisoned Megatron
    DEVsn.jpg
    n8q8k.jpg
    yuKL1.jpg

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ohhh.

Chase would be a great choice.
    Oh hell yes.

I would totally forgive this book if they made him the new Darkhawk for awhile. :)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Antimatter wrote: »
    did they kill off Juston/his sentinel in AA yet

Sentinel got jacked up big time by mysterious killer person, but it wasn't clear that it was fatal or not. So I guess he's OK still.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Omg WatXM, why is my comp being a dork, first I have no scans of Venom/Valkryie, now this! someone better post some of this stuff!
    Doop brass knuckles! Toad throwing clowns into a woodchipper! "The clown car is no longer a threat!"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Marvel Universe vs. Avengers #4, it ends Hawkeye's story the way Punisher remembered and could include the sad trombone sound at the end, but still a good mini and a great trilogy of Vs. stories.

Doom was infected the whole time, those doomstones were just a way for Doom to control the rage and in a sense control the people who wore them. Which meant only Clint, Natasha, and Frank were free:

marveluniversevsavengers4a.jpg

marveluniversevsavengers4b.jpg

marveluniversevsavengers4c.jpg

marveluniversevsavengers4d.jpg
    Thor was infected, the jerk.

Scarlet Spider #13, what is the spanish word for Wolf?
    scarletspider13a.jpg

scarletspider13b.jpg

scarletspider13c.jpg

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I don't even know what happened in Avengers Arena. That just felt messy to read. There was some cool lookin' panels but I have no idea what actually happened.

I've really got to get on Scarlet Spider. Every time I see it in here it just looks so fun.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Did anyone understand Action Comics #16?
    the second death of superman?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't really see how Arena was hard to understand
    There is a mystery hunter attacking the camps at night. They take out Juston's Sentinel after sneaking up on Chase and the Braddock kids. Cami tries to hunt them down but is found by Darkhawk, who says they should work together. Cammi follows one set of tracks, Chris the other. Darkhawk gets jumped by the mystery hunter and is killed(seemingly by having his own tech turn against him?) and the amulet that gave him powers is now loose.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »

Which part are you asking about specifically?
    Time is basically collapsing in upon itself, and all of Superman's history is starting to run together. He's already died once to Doomsday, and the villains seem to be intent on having Supes relive (or re-die, as the case maybe) that day over and over again.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, totally. I mean, the
    crystal thingy for the darkhawk powers
    was ripped out and just left there, so....

That's happened to him before and he got better.

But haven't read it yet, so shall reserve judgement for how final this is until I do.

H9f4bVe.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    regarding AA (covers for #4 in the back of the book)
    one shows X-23 vs Darkhawk, the variant is Darkhawk fighting chase.

either Chris isn't dead, or someone else snatches up the amulet damn quickly.

Hmmm, I was looking at the previous variant covers and I'm wondering if it's a trend for "minor" fights in the next issue that follows?
    Variant for issue #1 was a Deathlocket vs. Hazmat cover, and they briefly shot at each other in issue #2. Neither died.

Variant for issue #2 was X-23 and Cammi, and they had an encounter in issue #3. Neither died.

Variant #3 is Nara and Sentinel, so maybe Juston was able to salvage it by issue #4.

And Variant issue #4 has Dark hawk and Chase, so possibly a light tussle in issue 5? Also guess whoever is Nighthawk in 4 vs. X-23 won't end with a fatality, so it'll be someone else.

I'm probably just reading too much into coincidence though.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I still find it pretty unfair that someone with wolverine level healing factor is in a kill or be killed contest. :p

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    There is a mystery hunter attacking the camps at night. They take out Juston's Sentinel after sneaking up on Chase and the Braddock kids. Cami tries to hunt them down but is found by Darkhawk, who says they should work together. Cammi follows one set of tracks, Chris the other. Darkhawk gets jumped by the mystery hunter and is killed(seemingly by having his own tech turn against him?) and the amulet that gave him powers is now loose.

You have a question in your own explanation. That could mean the clarity may be lost here and there.
    The fates of Juston/Sentinel and Darkhawk are inconclusive. Are they dead? Who knows?
    Armoroc wrote: »

It's Final Crisis all over again. I get the basic idea, but Morrison just jumps from scene to scene to scene. It's confusing, and make little sense on what should be the flagship Superman book. I'd probably get a clearer writer or tone down Morrison. He can do straightforward, but his Action Comics run hasn't been it.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

I should mention that I don't really know the characters outside of Chase and Nico, and I don't know what character that's supposed to look like but I don't think they know who Chase is. That second part was just some bitching.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Omg WatXM, why is my comp being a dork, first I have no scans of Venom/Valkryie, now this! someone better post some of this stuff!
    Doop brass knuckles! Toad throwing clowns into a woodchipper! "The clown car is no longer a threat!"

I loved that his action scenes were taking place in the border/background of someone else's fight scene. Genius!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    This week, X-Men Legacy continues to be very cool and Thor continues to be pretty fucking awesome

That Marvel Vs. Avenger Scan.

:(

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I'd be sadder if I could tell what was going on.

Dude's head was caved in with a hammer, like this only without the elbow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8NB9A5sPE

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Thor came all the way back to Midgard just to sucker hammer Clint before flying back to Asgard.

This is Thor's version of "oh yeah, the jerkstore called"

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Star Wars #1 brought back the love I had for the universe that I thought had disappeared. Princess Leia, kicking ass and taking names!
    9hyDo.jpg

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Cool to see Leia getting her hands dirty. When you think about it, she accomplishes less than any other character in the original trilogy, and her most memorable moments involve being captured or rescued.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Note to self: never sneak up behind the princess.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well I guess I will add Star Wars to the list then

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Cool to see Leia getting her hands dirty. When you think about it, she accomplishes less than any other character in the original trilogy, and her most memorable moments involve being captured or rescued.

For me, her most memorable moment was getting fed up with her rescuers, taking the gun away from... Luke, was it? and shooting up some Stormtroopers. Which was always kind of character-defining for me. I thought of it as being almost a reversal of the standard "kidnapped princess needs to be rescued" trope; it's true that she's kidnapped and needs to be rescued, but she takes a dim view of her saviors, and gets annoyed by their ineffectiveness (and shows them how it's done).

She also
    strangled Jabba
    in ROTJ

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Also in rotj is her awesome moment on Endor where Han mirrors her deceleration of love in empire

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Do we really need to use spoiler tags for stuff that ahppens in Star Wars?

edited January 2013
    i don't believe in a statute of limitations for spoilers

Antimatter on
    my guidline is, it's easy enough to put something in spoiler tags, I'd rather tag something unnecessarily than accidentally spoil something for someone

it costs nothing, so err on the side of spoilertagging