As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trouble enabling Intel Rapid Start and IGPU on a new Z77 mobo with SSD and Gen3 i7

TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
I'm up against a brick wall as far as I can tell. Nothing I could find in google has been of any help and I don't have any prior experience with this technology.

Yesterday I upgraded my computer with an i7 3770K, Gigabyte Z77 UP4 TH mobo, and 16 gb of 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM. Everything went smoothly until I tried to install the software for Intel Rapid Start so I could accelerate my SSD. Whenever I try to install the software I get an error telling me that I do not meet the minimum system requirements. As far as I know my CPU, motherboard, and SSD (128gb SATA III Crucial M4 with current firmware) all should support Intel Rapid Start. It's enabled in the BIOS, Intel Rapid Storage Technology is installed on my computer, and the SSD is storing my system partition and working perfectly near as I can tell. However the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program says that the system drive is one my storage drives (possibly implying that that's where the MBR is stored?).

I have read that the SATA controller needs to be set to RAID in the BIOS to take advantage of Intel Rapid Start. I did that. My computer would POST but blue screen when I tried to load into windows, so it's currently on AHCI. If I actually have to setup my drives as a RAID array then I've reached a dead end since that's not an option, but I don't know enough about this to give up yet.

As far as the Integrated GPU: I'm using 2x 560 Ti's in SLI so I don't need it to run a display, but with Lucid Virtu MVP I should be able to use it to improve gaming performance and possibly reduce power consumption. It's enabled in the BIOS, but doesn't show up as a display adapter in the device manager and I can't install the copy of Virtu MVP included with my mobo because it also gives me the 'this system doesn't meet the minimum system requirements' error. I've tried running the Virtu MVP Wizard application, but all that seems to do is install something (which I cannot locate), and ask me to restart my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I should also mention that I've installed every driver included on the motherboard's CD.

EH28YFo.jpg
Taranis on

• Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    Rapid Start requires a partition on the system disk equal or larger in size to the amount of system memory to use for Hibernation. Here's a link to a guide from Intel on enabling it.

I'm not too familiar with Virtu, as I don't use it myself, but ensure that you have the latest version of the drivers for the iGPU, as well as the latest version of the Virtu software. Both should be available from your motherboard manufacturer's support site. As far as I am aware, Gigabyte does offer some basic instructions on installation, so that's what I'd follow. You'll also probably want to make sure at some point that the iGPU is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm giving up on Rapid Start since I don't have the free space on my SSD to create a 16 gb partition. The integrated GPU is now working after successfully installing a different distribution of the intel's driver. Virtu MVP's compatibility doesn't seem to be all that great though.

Thanks for the help.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I think the idea is that you install windows on your non-SSD, during the install you create a partition on that non-SSD which is the same size as your SSD, then you install Rapid Start, which will do some sort of magical industry-secret version of a RAID with the SSD and the platter HDD partition.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN