As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    It seems that in 2 hours there will be a post on CPRed's facebook page of interest to us.

I'm so excited. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I have such high hopes for this game, and I've been wondering for years why nobody used the Cyberpunk 2020 etc. for a game setting.

You have to be able to do it "right". Otherwise the fans get ticked off (which has happened with at least one Shadowrun game). And you have to be willing to work within the constraints of someone else's setting (which can be a problem when you realize that where you're trying to take the story flies right into the face of some setting cornerstone).

Finally, Shadowrun tends to get all of the attention when a Cyberpunk RPG is mentioned, even though it mixes magic in with everything else.

iirc, R. Talsorian's other flagship game, Mekton, has been looked at with an eye toward turning it into a computer game, though obviously nothing has come of that yet.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Personally, I really don't like the idea of mixing fantasy tropes with cyberpunk, so that's probably why I never gave two shits about Shadowrun. It's a shame really, as in my opinion they really don't fit in the aesthetic. I guess it could be justified through biopunk spillover, which is often mixed into cyberpunk settings, but it just seems so unimaginative considering the opportunities of biopunk.

• Options
    Personally, I really don't like the idea of mixing fantasy tropes with cyberpunk, so that's probably why I never gave two shits about Shadowrun. It's a shame really, as in my opinion they really don't fit in the aesthetic. I guess it could be justified through biopunk spillover, which is often mixed into cyberpunk settings, but it just seems so unimaginative considering the opportunities of biopunk.

It was full-blown magic in Shadowrun.

If I understand what you mean by bio-punk, Cyberpunk v3.0 has some. We'll see if any of it makes it into the upcoming video game.

• Options
    2009_409586032455568_1936505010_n.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Bah! No designer logo or other fun stuff in her irises!

I'm disappointed.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Never got into Cyberpunk, but I had one of Talsorian's other offerings, and it was grand (and arguably not that different a setting, really):
    411124-bubblegum_crisis_cover.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Eumerin wrote: »
    I have such high hopes for this game, and I've been wondering for years why nobody used the Cyberpunk 2020 etc. for a game setting.

You have to be able to do it "right". Otherwise the fans get ticked off (which has happened with at least one Shadowrun game). And you have to be willing to work within the constraints of someone else's setting (which can be a problem when you realize that where you're trying to take the story flies right into the face of some setting cornerstone).

Finally, Shadowrun tends to get all of the attention when a Cyberpunk RPG is mentioned, even though it mixes magic in with everything else.

iirc, R. Talsorian's other flagship game, Mekton, has been looked at with an eye toward turning it into a computer game, though obviously nothing has come of that yet.

Mekton seems to be an odd choice as it was really just a generic system to make your own anime Mecha style game. They had some fluff but it was also a pretty generic setting. It was all good stuff as far as the rule system as it used the same Interlock system CP2020 did. But the only thing I can remember from the Mekton line with any thing resembling originality was the Jovian Chronicles. But that was made by Dreampod 9 the guys that went on to do Heavy Gear and I would wonder if they retained the license for it.

• Options

It was full-blown magic in Shadowrun.

If I understand what you mean by bio-punk, Cyberpunk v3.0 has some. We'll see if any of it makes it into the upcoming video game.

Biopunk is basically just wetware hacking, and genetic enhancements and grafts instead of mechanical or nanite based enhancements. Basically any sort of morphs, cloned/grown limbs and organs, etc. instead of cybernetic enhancements.
    This can range from minor genetic alteration in the sense of eliminating diseases etc, to introducing all sorts of inhuman traits from other organisms that enhance the recipient in some way(and usually they end up with a bizarre appearance). It's often not just prenatal tampering, but possible in adults through genetic rewriters and such.

The gamut runs from mild genetic alteration to frankenstein monstrosities, to transhuman settings where the bodies are basically clay and can be altered relatively at will through various processes. Essentially using Biotechnology to gain similar utility as cybernetics allows. How radical it is depends on the setting and the writers etc.

• Options

Biopunk is basically just wetware hacking, and genetic enhancements and grafts instead of mechanical or nanite based enhancements. Basically any sort of morphs, cloned/grown limbs and organs, etc. instead of cybernetic enhancements.
    This can range from minor genetic alteration in the sense of eliminating diseases etc, to introducing all sorts of inhuman traits from other organisms that enhance the recipient in some way(and usually they end up with a bizarre appearance). It's often not just prenatal tampering, but possible in adults through genetic rewriters and such.

The gamut runs from mild genetic alteration to frankenstein monstrosities, to transhuman settings where the bodies are basically clay and can be altered relatively at will through various processes. Essentially using Biotechnology to gain similar utility as cybernetics allows. How radical it is depends on the setting and the writers etc.

So basically the non-metal faction from that one book by Sterling (can't remember the name of it off the top of my head; has it been that long?). v3.0 has two forms of it. So it might turn up in 2077.

• Options
    Apostate wrote: »
    Mekton seems to be an odd choice as it was really just a generic system to make your own anime Mecha style game. They had some fluff but it was also a pretty generic setting. It was all good stuff as far as the rule system as it used the same Interlock system CP2020 did. But the only thing I can remember from the Mekton line with any thing resembling originality was the Jovian Chronicles. But that was made by Dreampod 9 the guys that went on to do Heavy Gear and I would wonder if they retained the license for it.

Yes, Dream Pod 9 kept Jovian Chronicles. They released both a first and second edition of the game before their great contraction a while back, as well as a spin-off game called Lightning Strike. Unfortunately, they over-extended themselves a while back, and these days pretty much all of their properties are dead except for Heavy Gear.

As for official R. Talsorian-endorsed settings for Mekton, the big ones are -

Algol - The default setting (except in Mekton Zeta). It's a smorgasboard of anime mecha stuff (by design), and just about the only thing that you won't run into here is interstellar travel. The Mekton Empire setting fixed that with its Bendari Empire (of which Algol turns out to have been a long-lost colony). Mekton Zero, which Mike Pondsmith has been talking about for a while now, will use Algol as its setting if/when Zero sees the light of day.

Invasion Terra - A Ridiculously Human-like Alien Empire (that is not genetically compatible, but is otherwise physically identical to humans) invades a "twenty minutes into the future with primitive starships" Earth. The Aliens win. Then they get exposed to Earth culture and get kicked off the planet. The humans rapidly build up a military capable of taking the fight to the aliens. Similarities to Macross are probably not a coincidence. This is the main setting introduced in Mekton Zeta, with a couple of extra supplements containing important battles and mecha.

Starblade Battalion - Found in the supplement of the same name. The known universe contains no aliens (iirc). What it does contain are two powerful star nations. One is essentially run by greedy, rapacious megacorps. The other is run by hard-core greens. A few military people from both sides have started to realize that both governments are essentially just as bad, and have secretly formed the Starblade Battalion to find a way to avert the disasterous war that everyone knows is about to erupt.

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2013
    "Coming: When it's ready"

Keep your eyes open for February 5.

From facebook:

37071_410111875736317_1928285467_n.png

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KaensayKaensay Registered User new member
    They released it!!! Now, I am even more excited. How long will they make us wait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Kaensay wrote: »
    They released it!!! Now, I am even more excited. How long will they make us wait?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

You totally got sniped.

Also looks awesome. Is there any idea of what the gameplay will be like? (I've not played the Witcher or Witcher 2).

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I doubt it will be similar to either Witcher's gameplay (They are very different from each other) because they rely so much on sword combat. It will probably have the non-linear gameplay with big decisions though, CDPR are very good at it. They locked almost half of The Witcher 2 behind a choice.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I look forward to creating a Spider Jerusalem type character.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    There is a hidden message in one of the frames. A guy posted the image on NeoGAF. Basically they are inviting people to join the CPR for the Cyberpunk 2077 team. It is still in early development stage apparently. 2015 is not that crazy now.

Also, they got other stuff to show February 5 like an open world game. The Witcher 3?

From NeoGAF's Sickboy007:
    uBiyq.png

This is the link to the jobs page: cdpred.com/jobs-list/ and the e-mail in the image is careers@cdprojektred.com . They seem to need people for the animation.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I wonder how they will handle the player character? Will they allow us to roll up our own, or are they going with it Witcher style with a premade character to play? Both have their advantages and drawbacks. Personally I am hoping for the ability to make our own characters, even if certain sacrifices are made in the narrative. It makes total sense with The Witcher, because Geralt is The Witcher, even though there are other Witchers at large.

With Cyberpunk though, the opportunities for a really rich system of character creation makes me quiver at the thought.

Drake on
  • Options
    Do you know what is the name of the song and the artist?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    ummph! sign me for this.

• Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6nbFZtxAL4

Bullets by Archive.

The rest of the songs not got quite the same pulse as the section they took but it's a nice tune.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I do love me some cyberpunk.

Hype!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    The setting for this game looks amazing.

I still have no idea what it's about. But I do know that girl with the robotic arms scares the crap out of me though.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Do we know if it's going to be first or third person?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options

I read on /v/ that it's "Song Archive - Bullets"

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    The trailer.... well it definitely got me interested.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Taranis wrote: »
    Do we know if it's going to be first or third person?

Check my previous post on the development. They have not defined much on the gameplay. I would guess third-person camera will be in considering that personal fashion is a huge thing in the PnP game.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Exclusive interview with information on braindances: gametrailers.com/side-mission/44806/cyberpunk-2077-exclusive-interview

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The wait for this is going to destroy me.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Seriously, if they just allow character creation, the setting would be so fantastic. The P&P itself allows for a lot of variation, and ...

I'm probably gonna have a stroke if I think about it too much.
    "Character movement will also change – the witcher is a mutated human, but we’ll have a whole system of cyber-implants, allowing you to modify your limbs."

!

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    The wait for this is going to destroy me.

This.

The video was me going "Yes... yes... yes... YES... YES... I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I... *When It's Ready* awwwwwwwww..." :cry:

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options

Also if you like that kinda stuff the closest cheap artist I can think of is Bignic. Happy for example has a kind of same feel as Bullets bit more funky than the ethereal kind of stuff Archive does but I highly recommend using his stuff as background gaming noise.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I liked that it repeated "Personal responsability". Very fitting regarding a dehumanizing world.

EDIT: Braindancing? :) Made me think of Spec Ops: The Line a lot.
    You released the trailer and talked little about braindance. What is it?

Braindance is a new form of “movies” that you play in your head. Someone records a braindance and you can live them with your senses and muscles. There are two types of these “movies”. Soft braindances are just watching a recording, with no additional feelings, something very similar to today’s cinema. Hard braindances allow you to feel exactly like the person who recorded it. If someone dies in a braindance so will you. Your brain processes a direct copy of someone’s life.

There is a great industry producing these recordings in 2077. You can call it a braindance Hollywood. We have corporations which produce high quality recordings, but we also have “the wrong kind” – deviations, torture and murder. We have a new type of industry, an exaggerated vision of the future Hollywood and the new technology they use.

And of course there are a lot of braindance celebrities. It moved acting to a completely new level. In fact you don’t act, you actually have to feel the emotions you want to record.

Definition-of-braindance.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Well that trailer pretty much sold me on a game I knew nothing about from a setting I know nothing about

• Options
    There's a bit of Lore under the trailer too if you didn't see it:

The teaser shows how the Psycho Squad might acquire a new member.

The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" -- individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body.

There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call "meatbags."

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There's carnage, and the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they're not always able to get the job done.

When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

Honestly fuck any other factions. I wanna play these guys; come on now this would be the introduction if there's character creation:

Yo, it's the future, drugs, implants and cybernetic limbs are all things that exist. Now what we want you to do is go FUCKING NUTS with them so you can join a group of other overly high implanted guys who are employed by the state to track down, control and kill other guys who have gone fucking nuts.

Gonna be honest, I want that to be the intro, that text exactly.

• Options
    Looks good! Can't wait!

The interview mentions the Fourth Corporate War, and the nuking of Arasaka Headquarters. That's straight from v3.0's background. But some of the other comments in the interview, as well as the trailer, lead me to believe the different types of transhumanism represented by the Alt-Cults in 3.0 are being ignored in favor of the classic Cyberpunk cybernetics (and cyberpsychosis).

• Options
    I also like the fact that dubstep did not feature anywhere in the trailer.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    There's a bit of Lore under the trailer too if you didn't see it:

The teaser shows how the Psycho Squad might acquire a new member.

The Psycho Squad specializes in combating "psychos" -- individuals who overuse implants and substances that boost or otherwise alter the human body.

There comes a point when they overdose on these innovations, and their bodies start to rebel against their biological body parts as well as all things organic around them. Simply put, they start killing people, who they now derisively call "meatbags."

When a psycho goes on the rampage, strange things can happen. There's carnage, and the psycho might be taken down by regular police, but they're not always able to get the job done.

When things spin out of control, they call in MAX-TAC (Maximum Force Tactical Division), popularly called the Psycho Squad.

Honestly fuck any other factions. I wanna play these guys; come on now this would be the introduction if there's character creation:

Yo, it's the future, drugs, implants and cybernetic limbs are all things that exist. Now what we want you to do is go FUCKING NUTS with them so you can join a group of other overly high implanted guys who are employed by the state to track down, control and kill other guys who have gone fucking nuts.

Gonna be honest, I want that to be the intro, that text exactly.

The braindance article made me think they might "playing" a braindance movie. In "multi-viewer" (multi-player) mode.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith