As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX East 2013 International Food Exchange (How do you like your coffee?)

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East

Back by insistent nagging popular demand is the PAX International Food Exchange thread, live and updated for PAX East 2013. With just over 60 days left until the wonderful event, it seems like a good time to open the dialogue for those of us who whilst coming to PAX to share our love of games and gaming culture, also want to share our love of food and our desire to have those things we can’t normally touch. I’m of course talking about prepared foods from far away foreign lands (like Canada, the UK, and ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ) that travel well on airplanes. This thread is dedicated to the exchange of those foodstuffs.

costco012.jpg
Diabeetus comes by the pallet load in Canada. Wikipedia even give a comprehensive list of your options.

Now if you're unfamiliar with this thread, you can check out the past three sugar binges.

The Penny Arcade Expo International Food Exchange - PAX East 2011
The PAX International Food Exchange - PAX Prime 2011
The PAX East 2012 International Food Exchange (now with Retsin!)

Those threads resulted in many great meet-ups being arranged, and many delicious noms being om'd. @chaosisorder continues to bring strange and "wonderful" candy from the far east, and as far as we know no one has dropped dead from its consumption yet.

tumblr_ljq5plwzMK1qzgedpo1_500.jpg
I'm going to show a picture of an Australian confection this time. Here's a list of brands around the world.

So what is the point of all this? Well this is the "official" thread for the exchange and delicious foods from all over. This is meant as an open forum to post what delicious noms you are bringing to PAX to share with your unfortunate American cousins, and for our awesome American hosts to make requests. Intra-Commonwealth transactions are also allowed of course. You can make exchanges, offer cash, or in the spirit of the PAX community simply share for the sake of sharing. It's your call. As this has come up in recent years you can also exchange alcohol via this thread, but be aware that drugs and alcohol are not allowed in PAX. You'll have to make other arrangements to swap.

Tentative meet-up time and place to be the same as last year; Friday at 2 PM at the food booth tables by the queue to get swag bags.

Note: Please be aware of the laws for importing and exporting foods, both in your country of origin and destination. Links to the four main governing bodies we will be dealing with can be found here. Any others? Suggest them in thread and I'll add them.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
HM Revenue & Customs
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

We can also take suggestions as to interesting things to take home, and probe around if a certain delicious nom is or isn't available in great USandA. It's all up to you. Happy trading, and we'll see you at PAX!

Protip: Do not try to import Kinder Surprise into the US. They will be confiscated by CBP and the parts within are deemed a choking hazard under US law.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    I am looking for somebody from Hawaii willing to bring me a couple bottles of amazing pineapple distilled vodka!!

Please PM!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    As for stuff I would love I once again place my request for Irn Bru and Jaffa Cakes from the land of my ancestors; Scotland.

I've also been turned onto to this libation I heard about from Hawaii. Pineapple vodka? A bottle of that would be wonderful. 750ml if possible, since I also need to get beer home and be under my duty-free limit lol.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    Thanks Decius, I was kind of lazy when it came to making the thread. You did a better job at OP than I could have anyway. But YES. This, and everyone who participated, was a major factor in my deciding to return to PAX East. (And Boston is pretty kick ass.)

Since I'm coming from Oklahoma and that's south-ish, that's the region I'm bringing to the table. Please feel free to requests stuff from me, this thread was very generous with me last year.

That said, I'd love more pastries from Hawaii and TimBits. :D

As of right now, I'm planning on bringing Mexican-style snack chips since that was really popular. And I want to bring some of our finest beef jerky.

The meeting was on Friday at 2 PM at the food booth tables by the queue to get swag bags and I guess initial entry to the Expo Hall. Maybe a little early to set up a meeting now, but it seemed to work for people last time!

Really looking forward to this!

• Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    My wife loves Green Tea liqueurs, but there nearly impossible to find here in Kansas. I would gladly pay for some if someone is coming over from Japan.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    One PAX Prime I bought a packet of Penguins. They are essentially chocolate covered Bournbons. If anyone's interested in them, I can bring some :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I am looking for somebody from Hawaii willing to bring me a couple bottles of amazing pineapple distilled vodka!!

Please PM!

Can I get on this bandwagon too?

• Options
    AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    I would love a Dairy Milk bar if anyone from the U.K. is coming. I'll have Rolos or some other chocolate item to trade.

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    My normal request of Cheerwine will be self fulfilled by driving to PAX this year.

I will bring a random assortment of Chinese, Korean and Japanese snacks to share freely. Some may be flavor booby trapped. I claim no responsibility for durian deaths.

If you have something specific to request from China, let me know. Or from Florida. I think we are at out liquor limit for customs but I can chrck closer to go time.

If you are looking for a regional US goodie to request, check out the link.

http://www.zagat.com/buzz/12-best-regional-snack-foods

• Options
    zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    I became fairly addicted to Galaxy chocolate bars while I was in the UK, so I'd like to get a bar or two so I can do a blind taste test against it's US version of Dove. Apparently I was too busy to think of it when I was moving back to the US.

I'm also looking for a can of Guinness from the UK/Ireland. The stuff in the US is such crap comparatively. It won't be the same as getting it from the tap when I was in Scotland, but oh well. Probably still better than what I get here.

I'll trade with whatever I can get here that the bearer of the bar/can would like. Alternatively, I can pay the person in British pounds. The banks here won't take my leftover coins, and I have quite a few #s worth. I think I also have a couple Euros sitting somewhere if someone brings a can from the Republic of Ireland.

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Being from England, what exactly do you guys NOT have over there that's tasty? I only know about all the tasty stuff USA get that we don't, like Lucky Charms, and Pop Tarts, and Cinnamon Pitta Chips... and Dr Pepper on draught... mmmm... the memories.

I may bring a goodie bag of stuff dependant on finances, I can take orders though :P

ps. I am 22 so if it's alcoholic goodness, I am old enough.

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I may bring some Jos. Louis and Ah Caramel, since Vachon is superior to Hostess. We do still have Hostess in Canada, but you'll have to come across the border to take it :lol:

I'll also be on the lookout for those mint Aero bunnies I brought last year. It'll be close enough to Easter so they might be on sale.

I already have a case of Coffee Crisps coming that someone wants to buy, so my space is limited :(
    Decius wrote: »
    As for stuff I would love I once again place my request for Irn Bru and Jaffa Cakes from the land of my ancestors; Scotland.

I've also been turned onto to this libation I heard about from Hawaii. Pineapple vodka? A bottle of that would be wonderful. 750ml if possible, since I also need to get beer home and be under my duty-free limit lol.

As for those requests, money can be provided :)

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    My normal request of Cheerwine will be self fulfilled by driving to PAX this year.

Ooh Cheerwine...can I trouble you for a 2 liter?

I'd also like to reiterate my annual request for Mint Aero and Coffee Crisp bars and perhaps a couple of giant sized bags of All Dressed Chips? I'm local to Boston so anything local that you may want but might not have time to get during PAX is up for grabs.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    The_MadHatter_The_MadHatter_ Registered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    Being from England, what exactly do you guys NOT have over there that's tasty? I only know about all the tasty stuff USA get that we don't, like Lucky Charms, and Pop Tarts, and Cinnamon Pitta Chips... and Dr Pepper on draught... mmmm... the memories.

I never even heard of cinnamon pita chips until this post. I'm going to have to find some, they look good. Seems this thread is helping me find new food already!

PSN ID, Steam: The_MadHatter_
  • Options
    @kroptokin, please bring Penguins! They sound tasty!

@chaosisorder, a little disappointed that I can't be your Cheerwine hook-up again, but excited to see what you bring and happy to see you soon!

@PurpleBek...do you need Lucky Charms? Because while I eat it maybe only once a year, I can't imagine not being able to get it whenever I want. I can bring you some Pop Tarts, too!

Canadians, if you want to bring some Twinkies, you'll be heroes. I'm interested in some chocolate Zingers.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Canadians: your Oreos are superior and your coffee crisps are amazing. I would enjoy deliveries of either and will pay with my American dollars. Or whatever. I've been told you have some weird thing about not having light-colored caffeinated drinks there so if you want energy Mio, I can buy those by the bundle. Or anything Boston-local you desire.
    Chaos, I believe Japan has blueberry cheesecake-flavored kitkats? I would love some. Or other deliciously flavored kitkats. (Emphasis on delicious >.>)

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    punzie wrote: »
    Canadians: your Oreos are superior and your coffee crisps are amazing. I would enjoy deliveries of either and will pay with my American dollars. Or whatever. I've been told you have some weird thing about not having light-colored caffeinated drinks there so if you want energy Mio, I can buy those by the bundle. Or anything Boston-local you desire.

@punzie the pic in the OP of the Canadian chocolates is actually from Costco, taken this week. Want a couple of those multipacks?
    punzie wrote: »
    Chaos, I believe Japan has blueberry cheesecake-flavored kitkats? I would love some. Or other deliciously flavored kitkats. (Emphasis on delicious >.>)

I second this request.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @decius yes pls :) are your kitkats different from ours too? Oh and do you want energy Mio? I know you were looking for them at prime.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Tried one in Seattle. Not that I could taste.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    saturnaliasaturnalia Registered User regular
    Ooh. I cannot resist joining in!

I would lovelovelove one of those little boxed Treacle Tarts you can find in Britain.

Also, a Crunchie bar would make me super happy!

I live at the Jersey shore, and so can bring salt water taffy, or... um... whatever else people maybe want from these parts!

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @gigabrain Will do! Delicious liquid crack

@punzie Oh yes. Kitkats will come for you. @decius And for you. There are probably 20 flavors here.

@vicechan Bring your taste testing bravery. I will have things for you.....

chaosisorder on
  • Options
    @The_MadHatter_ Yes, I bought some at a Shaw's near the Prudential.

@vicechan Well, we have some American food stores over here and it works out to buy some Lucky Charms from there at around $15 a box... and they're tasty. As for Pop Tarts, S'Mores are my upmost favourite!

So you people want Galaxy, Crunchies, hmm, I could try my hand at baking a Treacle Tart... and Guinness?

As a total sidenote, last year I brought some bottled water with me which was named Aqua Pura (teehee)

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    As a total sidenote, last year I brought some bottled water with me which was named Aqua Pura (teehee)

:bz

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    @chaosisorder you are an awesome person! I got addicted to that stuff when I was down in NC for some training earlier this year.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    tisaniantisanian HartfordRegistered User regular
    I've been looking forward to this thread since I happened upon last years, and I have some items I would be more than happy to finance into my life! :D

Anything from the far east that is Taro flavored would be great.

And I would love to get my hands on some Starbars, Flake, Double Deckers and dark and/or mint Aero bars if at all possible!

• Options
    tisanian wrote: »
    And I would love to get my hands on some Starbars, Flake, Double Deckers and dark and/or mint Aero bars if at all possible!

I could pick up these for you! :D

pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    WE MUST HAVE POUTINE lol, i forget who it was but they had these rolled up spicy Doritos they were so awesome also some sort of chocolate that was folded over and over to the point where it was crunchy

any one have some new england food requests? i can bring the whatchamacallit bars and necco wafers again

also who brought the Chinese candy last year i would like another bottle of the "paint thinner" as you put it

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options

I will bring a random assortment of Chinese, Korean and Japanese snacks to share freely. Some may be flavor booby trapped. I claim no responsibility for durian deaths.

If you have something specific to request from China, let me know. Or from Florida. I think we are at out liquor limit for customs but I can chrck closer to go time.

If you are looking for a regional US goodie to request, check out the link.

http://www.zagat.com/buzz/12-best-regional-snack-foods

i may have to bug you for cheerwine as well my brother did a huge trip around the south back in like 07 and got hooked on it so if i can bring a few home he may go nuts

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    chaos brought the stuff from china

• Options
    KapStronauteKapStronaute Registered User new member
    I can bring some french labelled things plus poutine , but not sure it will be that good after a day in a car haha

• Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    Barring any setbacks, I'm planning on bringing a case of UTZ crab chips. Because what else is Maryland known for but its crabs?

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    REPORTING IN

Personally I would pay dearly for some Tim Tams.
    I can bring some french labelled things plus poutine , but not sure it will be that good after a day in a car haha

Oh, how I wish I could give the beautiful gift of Poutine to our Southian PAX Brothers and Sisters. However, I believe the customs officer would have a field day if we tried cross over with stuff like potatoes :
    zerzhul wrote: »

And it was delicious.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Frugus wrote: »
    REPORTING IN

Personally I would pay dearly for some Tim Tams.

Check your local grocery stores. Save-On-Foods out here has them. While I know you guys don't have that chain, I would hope there would be a chain that does. I think I've seen them in Sobeys, which in the Québec region operates under the IGA, IGA extra, Marché Bonichoix, Les Marchés Tradition and Rachelle-Béry banners.

They are quite delicious.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    *rubs hands together*

@Frugus !! :D If @rascal doesn't bring the ribs chips, I will try my hardest to find some.

@PurpleBek, we do have S'mores Pop Tarts pretty regularly if you want me to put you down for some/a box. :D

@tisanian, did we meet last year? I'm lousy with names, so I may have forgotten!

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »

And it was delicious.
    [/quote]

i recently found one of the hello kitty candies stuck to the bottom of a draw

also i forgot to mention we need smarties (the Canadian variety) you guys got me hooked onto those last year

i still need to find some odd local new england things for you guys , but depending on how i controller myself i may have a few abba zaabas to bring

• Options
    SarahSarah Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    where do folk meet up to swap? Is it a giant swapfest or do folk post later where and when they can meet?

I'll be attending the forumer dinner and pokecrawl (hopefully).

I can bring irn-bru and guiness, and the most awesome tunnock caramel wafers. I would love to get some gluten free licquorice (the only one I know of came in a wonderful little scottie dog shape).

Sarah on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm contemplating bringing a dessert from where I work (corporate dessert company bitches!), but I don't know if I'd have a place to store it for more than a day.

• Options
    Sarah wrote: »
    where do folk meet up to swap? Is it a giant swapfest or do folk post later where and when they can meet?

It's a mix of pre-planned during PAX swapfest and private trade offs, depends on if you are just bringing things to share, trading for cash and people's schedules. Last year, we had a big meetup at 2PM on Friday. I imagine when the time/day is settled, it'll go in the main post!

• Options
    tisaniantisanian HartfordRegistered User regular
    @vicechan no need to fear, this will be my first PAX east, so your memory isn't failing!

• Options
  • Options
    @vicechan let me know how much for one or 2 of those spicey rolled up Doritos (i think it was you who brought them)

This discussion has been closed.